Kasauti Zindagi Ki

Urvashi's food habits-article

subu123456 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Born to a Punjabi mother and a Gujarati father, Urvashi Dholakia, one of television's most popular vamps, is biased towards spicy north Indian fare.

"I think I resemble a cinnamon because it enhances the flavour of food," says Dholakia, who breathes fire into her larger-than-life small screen characters: the crafty Komolika (Kasauti Zindagi Ki) and the sizzler Archie (Kahin Toh Hoga).

A foodie, Urvashi would rather have somebody cook for her, while she unwinds by listening to soft music or watching a DVD.

Thought for food

I begin my day with half a bottle of water followed by a cup of tea. I like my tea strong.

If I wake up early, I have tea, toast and eggs for breakfast. Sometimes it's just a toast with tea. I don't have any variations. I like my eggs fried or scrambled — Indian style.

On the sets, I'd rather have idli than vada-pav for breakfast. If I am in the mood to binge then I have a vada-pav.

For lunch I either eat unit food or share my co-stars' tiffins. I must have a proper lunch comprising of vegetables, two rotis — the unit rotis are slightly bigger — and dal. If there is a gravy chicken, I only have the gravy, but if it is a dry chicken dish then I eat the pieces. I don't eat more than a spoon of rice, if at all. At home I eat four phulkas.

I am a hardcore mutton fan. I can have a kilo of mutton in a single sitting. Once when I was at a friend's place for dinner I asked the maid to keep aside some lamb chops for me, until I washed my hands. The other guests looked at me askance and asked,"are you a bloody goat?" I like keema too but my favourite food is lamb chops and kaleji.

I enjoy the chaas at Aarey. I drink about 10 to 15 packets in a day. But at home my dad and I like to have dahi shakkar.

In Punjabi food, I love mutton and tadke wali yellow dal. My friends are surprised when I order a tadke wali yellow dal in a 5-star hotel.

Since my dad and I love spicy food we don't cook much Gujarati food at home.

In Gujarati food I love khatti meethi kadi, undhiyo, dhoklas, patras and khandvi.

After 7.30 in the evening, I don't eat anything. Not even if I am shooting until late.

I am not a fruit person, though my mother has tried her best to convert me into one.

Besides mutton, I love seafood — but only prawns and pomfret. With the exception of tandoori chicken, I don't like chicken at all.

Karela is one of my favorite vegetables. I also like turai, bhopla, baigan, galka, gavar, papdi. I like all the weirdest vegetables. I also love bhindi and methi. I can have methi aloo every single day.

As a child I loved chocolate cake and icecream. But now I have outgrown the taste. I like very few pulses —- moong dal, math and tuwar ki dal. Tuwar dal is my favourite. I guess that's the Gujarati in me coming to the fore.

I am not a dessert person. Occasionally I eat kaju katri, rasgollas, gulab jamuns and kalakand ki mithai. I avoid the jalebis served on the sets.

During my school days, my mom would give me parathas with a little bit of nimbu ka achar. She wanted me to have typical Punjabi fare like parathas- sharathas, but I would distribute them as I always yearned for something different.

Although my mom is a brilliant cook, she forgets to add salt to the food sometimes. She makes excellent mutton.

I don't cook at all. I tried making tamatar ki sabzi some seven years ago. I hate going to the kitchen.

I enjoy eating food a lot more than cooking it. I am a complete foodie. When I was a child, my mother would hide goodies like chocolates and dry fruits from me because I would overeat. I managed to track them down anyway.

Mars has been my favourite chocolate since I was young.

I studied at Bhavans college, Andheri. We would often hangout at a restaurant called Swadesh. I could eat a paper dosa by myself.

I like going to restaurants, but I eat a very light dinner at night. I am a regular at Sheetal Samudra, Juhu. My all time favourite dish is fish steak schezewan with baby kulchas. I can have 15 kulchas at a time. My current haunt is Sheetal Bukhara.

For Chinese, I recommend Taj Lands End. I enjoy their spicy prawns. I love the Peshawari food at Maratha especially the methi kulchas, lamb and kali dal.

My favourite cuisines are Indian and Chinese. I have disliked Thai food ever since I tried authentic Thai food. When I was in Bangkok, I would pester my sister to make tuwar ki dal and bhindi ki sabzi. I went to a restaurant in Hong Kong and ordered prawns and they just boiled it before placing it in front of me.

I don't like cheese very much. Tinned cheese makes my upper palate itch.

When I am abroad I survive on hot dogs, burgers, and nachos.

If I come across an elaichi, especially a big elaichi, or a bay leaf, in my meal I just can't eat it. Green chillies are my favourite spice.

I prefer iced tea to colas.

Occasionally I enjoy rose champagne.

For a romantic meal, I'll look forward to the day I can cook a mutton dish. A candle-lit dinner, dim lights, good music .. aha!

I have no time for exercise. I think I burn all my calories at work. I have never been to a gym in my life.

When it rained, I'd tell my mom to make me crispy meetha pudhas.

When my sons, Shitij and Sagar, come home for holidays from their boarding school, they love going to McDonald's and Pizza Hut. While, Shitij likes spicy food like me, Sagar doesn't.