Kalank was Yash Johar's dream project so why didn't Karan direct it?

mystic786 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been thinking about this ever since Kalank was announced 😆😆 

Karan has said it several times that he knows what he's capable of as a director and what he's not. 

Kalank is essentially a period drama and maybe Karan thought he won't be able to direct it because he's never done a period film before but just after Kalank was announced, Karan made the announcement for Takht ðŸ˜†

Takht will be made on a much grander scale than Kalank so how will Karan manage that? And why did he chose to do Takht instead of Kalank? 

I think it would've only been natural for Karan to direct it since he conceptualized the film with his father and knew what his vision was. The film was also a dream project for him.

Edited by mystic786 - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Eboo thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Good question. maybe Karan didn't like the script of kalank enough to do it himself even if it's his fathers dream project.
Takht is Written by other people maybe he liked that much more.
But both movies are about brothers or is kalank about something else?

Ratukrus thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Or maybe he didn't think he was capable enough to direct this movie. 
Dan.17 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
It's not that deep
Some years back Karan said this himself that he really wanted to go ahead and direct Kalank but whenever he used to pick up the script it used to remind him of his dad. That is the reason he was not able to make this film after his father died. Hence he gave the script to Abhishek Varman in 2015 because he wanted that this story should be told to people.

Coming to Takht, Karan is obsessed with copying other acclaimed directors. When he made Adhm he wanted to be like Imtiaz and now when last year padma  became huge hit he wants to become like Slb.
This is why sudden intrest in historical genre. Actually his next was supposed to be a story about 2 couple, but he changed the plans last year and decided to do Takht.
mystic786 thumbnail
And I finally got my answer! ðŸ˜†

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know about this at all and hence asked the question ðŸ˜†

Originally posted by: Dan.17

It's not that deep

Some years back Karan said this himself that he really wanted to go ahead and direct Kalank but whenever he used to pick up the script it used to remind him of his dad. That is the reason he was not able to make this film after his father died. Hence he gave the script to Abhishek Varman in 2015 because he wanted that this story should be told to people.

Coming to Takht, Karan is obsessed with copying other acclaimed directors. When he made Adhm he wanted to be like Imtiaz and now when last year padma  became huge hit he wants to become like Slb.
This is why sudden intrest in historical genre. Actually his next was supposed to be a story about 2 couple, but he changed the plans last year and decided to do Takht.

MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Ranveer will ghost direct Takht. Thats the pact.
mystic786 thumbnail
Hahaha lol yeah! Karan even said that you're an expert at this genre *cough" implying that Ranveer will have to teach Karan a lot of things maybe even help with direction ðŸ¤£

Originally posted by: Golden-dew

Ranveer will ghost direct Takht. Thats the pact.

MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: mystic786

Hahaha lol yeah! Karan even said that you're an expert at this genre *cough" implying that Ranveer will have to teach Karan a lot of things maybe even help with direction  🤣

Another cue was Akshay saying before he will turn 45 Ranveer will turn a director as he is a great storyteller.! Karan's face was worthwatching.
simim thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Dan.17

It's not that deep

Coming to Takht, Karan is obsessed with copying other acclaimed directors. When he made Adhm he wanted to be like Imtiaz and now when last year padma became huge hit he wants to become like Slb.

That is deep!!! Full of father sentiment and emotion. I thought it's because he was busy or something
mystic786 thumbnail
Exactly it IS very deep ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜† I also thought he didn't do it because he's busy etc.

Originally posted by: simim

That is deep!!! Full of father sentiment and emotion. I thought it's because he was busy or something