Users

Frequent Posters

coolie001 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 5 years ago

Based on Prompt 7

Total words: 5206

Chapter 4 [2575]

Khushi woke up with dreams all desultory. The time passed so quickly that she had very little time to process her leaving home for the next three months. She felt the smell of Kheer come from the kitchen and smiled knowing that her mom was on home.

Quickly freshening up, she walked to the kitchen hurriedly and looked at her mom. Garima was busy preparing lunch.

"Where's Ganga?" she asked her mom, not seeing their cook.

"Oh, god! Khushi? You scared me," Garima held the counter for support, startled by Khushi's voice.

She could only giggle.

"How was your date?" Her mom asked.

"Mom, that was not a date," Khushi shrugged as she raised herself a little and sat on the aisle.

"Did you brush?" Garima asked her in a serious tone.

"Mom... I am not a kid," Khushi laughed.

"But, you are to me," Garima retorted.

"So, how come you are home? You told me you have to attend an important meeting,"

"I postponed," she looked at her mom, she looked a little upset.

"What's up mom? Are you worried about something?"

"No, why?" Garima looked at her and Khushi just then realized what was it all about. Her mom was missing her already. She smiled before jumping off the counter and hugged her from behind.

"I am going to be fine, mom! Don't worry," she told her.

"I know, you will," Garima smiled before concentrating on the pot of Kheer.

Finally, the day arrived, and she was all set to leave. She bid her byes and moved to check in. She watched the lights slowly fading, as she rose into the sky. The lights still glimmered, but the clouds blanketed in between. She closed her eyes, letting the tears out. It was for the first time she was leaving home. However, she felt oddly quiet in her head. She couldn't reason her feeling, maybe it was time to explore, perhaps! Well, she could only wonder.

As soon as she stepped out to the vision of beautiful London Heathrow Airport, the wind chill jolted to another notch. She rushed into the warm confines of the Airport and relaxed. A lot of passengers seem to be in a hurry as they rushed alongside her. Khushi claimed her baggage and took a cab and reached her flat.

London seems to be covered in a fresh batch of snow. The chilly wind promised to send shivers down her. She quickly messaged home that she reached safely and would call them back as soon as possible. The drive from the airport was almost an hour. The cab pulled into a silent locality and it was almost dark. She pulled her glove off before dialing in the combination to unlock the door. With a little difficulty, she pulled all her luggage into the apartment that she was subleasing for the next three months.

The one bedroom flat looked quite amazing. It was neat and well furnished. She locked the door and fell onto the couch. The journey slowing wearing her off. Turning her face towards the luggage, she realized everything can wait, but she needed sleep.

Her eyes opened to the constant ringing of her phone. As she opened her eyes, it took time for her to take in where she exactly was. Looking at her phone, she realized it was her dad. It was already 11 AM. Jet lag. She sighed, quickly answering her phone and got up to see her neighborhood.

How can that be possible? Advait slouched on his bed in shock and despair. It was slowly killing him. The past was consuming him every damn day! He gritted his teeth before throwing away the pillow in frustration. He quickly pulled out the drawer on the nightstand and clutched the medicine in his hand. Sleeping pills, his only aid to sleep. He quickly took the pills and drank in some water before closing his eyes, waiting for sleep to settle in and the thoughts to destroy.

Khushi walked into the well-lit building. RA Co. She walked to the reception and spoke to the receptionist. The old lady asked her to be seated, and she told that a certain person in contact would come down to meet her. Khushi settled in and looked around. The decor was too plain for an architecture and planning company she wondered. What does it say? Acceptance? Improvement? She was analyzing the theme and the lighting.

"Irritable or inept?" she looked up to see a handsome young man walk towards her. She brought herself out of the reverie and got up to shake his hand.

"Khushi," 

"Zachary, call me Zach," he had a pleasant smile and cheerful stance.

"Nice to meet you, Khushi," he led her to the elevator which took them to top floor. 

Zachary was a medium height person, just a little above her 5'7". He wore a navy-blue suit that emphasized his broad shoulders. He told her about the number of departments that they have and a generic tour of the company. After about an hour and a half, he assisted her to the canteen for a breakfast. The canteen seemed blissfully calm, opening to an exquisite view of the Hudson. 

"This canteen has the best view," Zach told her as he sat beside her on a standalone table that was attached to the glass facing the view. 

"Absolutely," she could not deny. It indeed was the most beautiful view. She hasn't explored much yet but soon she promised. Once a routine kick in, she was eager to take off to view the city of love. 

After a long silence, he spoke again, "Take a break after this, I shall meet you at the 6th-floor reception, I'll introduce you to your team, then we can go for lunch," Zach told her and she nodded. 

Khushi wondered if she should walk around or just sit there and enjoy the view. Well, the morning tour was kind of tedious with all the walking. She decided to stay put and go through some of the points. Opening the itinerary, she realized that the day just began technically - Tour, Breakfast, Break, Team Meeting, Lunch, Break, Supervisor Meeting.

She watched the busy streets below and ahead, the skyline looking precious, and the sunny day exhilarating most of them. She wondered what story each carried. Taking her phone out, she focused on the view and clicked a few pictures. Payal will need them, or she was going pestering her to send photos. Khushi was not a picture person. She loved the way, her mind stores, the image, but photographs are memories to hold onto, so occasionally there was no harm.

After about 20 minutes, she walked to the elevator and waited for it arrives. As the elevator opened, she found it completely empty. She got in and waited for the 6th floor to arrive, but the elevator opened on the second floor.

"Anjali?" Khushi looked up and was pleasantly surprised when the man called her Anjali!

"Sorry," he spoke again, and Khushi tried diffusing the awkwardness. "Not a problem happens all the time with all the people, Khushi by the way, Interning with RA, which floor?"

"I... um penthouse actually,"

"Oh," Khushi pressed the P and waited. 

"I am Raghbir, by the way," he pushed his firm hand forward and she shook.

"Nice to meet you," she told him, and he looked a little taken aback but she could only wonder.

"So, this is me," she told him and bid a bye. Once she walked out, did she realize the read letters pasted on the whiteboard above the elevator sign "ONLY FOR EXECUTIVES"

Shit!

Raghbir was busy making points on his mobile when the elevator opened. He looked instant and was surprised to see Anjali.

"Anjali?" but soon he realized it was a young girl, who resembled so much alike Anjali. He was so shocked that he overlooked the fact that she was in the executive elevator. He couldn't deny the familiarity of the face. So much so that he had misunderstood her to Anjali. Well, when she told him she was interning at his firm, he realized she might have taken the elevator without realizing. He could only recollect the scene and smile. He can't wait to share this with his wife.

Khushi enjoyed meeting the team and the work was fun. There were seven of them in her team, and she and Ron were the only interns. Her supervisor Andrew was a very witty person and quite down to earth. She instantly connected with everyone and the morning awkwardness drowned in Hudson. She already made plans with the team to go to a laughing club the coming week. It was 5 PM by the time she was out of the office. The drive to her flat was calm and serene compared to the hectic traffic in the city. She had many setting to do in her new flat and a lot of exploring. 

After the drive to her home, she parked her car and was trying to rummage through her bag to remove the keys to her home when her phone rang and she looked at the caller id and was extremely thrilled to see Arnav calling her. 

"Hello," she pushed the seat a little back and relaxed into the seat.

"Hi, how are you?" the husky voice came through the earpiece making her feel all squirmy.

"I am good, How are you?"

"I am fine, missing you actually," he told that making that hidden heat in the cold London temperature find its way back to her cheeks.

"Really but why?" she asked him cheekily.

"How about a coffee?" he asked her, and she laughed. 

"But I have got so much work to do, need to settle down," she told him sarcastically, playing his joke.

"How about I help you unpack and settle down?"

"Wow, that sounds so great, I can actually use some help," she told him, and he chuckled. Oh, his chuckle. It was the sexiest thing, back to earth, she admonished herself.

"How about you share your address with me?"

"Sure, done," she laughed.

"Anyways, jokes apart, I really need to do plenty of work, I am gonna call you later, is that ok?

"Yes, definitely, bye,"

"Bye," she cut the call.

She opened the second suitcase and watched all the luggage, she sighed. With a much-needed break, she made herself some coffee and settled down on the couch with Netflix, when she heard a knock, startling her. Who could it be?

She looked through the peephole but found someone with a cap and Pizza. Pizza man! He might have mistaken, she opened the door and shrieked. There, Arnav Singh Raizada stood in front of her in his casual attire.

She thought she fell asleep and was dreaming but damn, she was wrong. 

"Khushi?" he called out to her and laughed at her.
She stood there for a whole minute comprehending.

"Khushi, I am freezing," he smirked at her.
She opened the door completely and let him in.

"Are you here?"

"What do you think?"

"That I am dreaming!"
He placed the pizza on the counter and walked to her.

"I am here and nope, you are not dreaming," he told her as he settled on the couch.

"What are you doing here? I mean in London?"

"I live in Canterbury, Khushi, Mumbai was just a business trip," he answered her doubts.

"Oh," she was shaken by the fact that Arnav was sitting next to her.

"That was quite a shriek," he told her.

"You deserve it, be thankful, I didn't attack you," she giggled.

"Whoa," he smiled. 
Arnav looked quite boyish in his jeans and white shirt with an open hoodie.

"The cap was for the trick," he said as he removed it and kept it on the coffee table.

"I hate you for doing this. You scared me so bad," she told him still in that reverie.

"Pizza should be considered," he pouted.

"How far is Canterbury?" she asked him. 

"About one and half hour,"
It is after a while. She calmed herself and realized Arnav was right beside her. She couldn't help but feel the light blush resurface.

"So, I am here to help, give me all the work you want to," he told her.

"That's fine, I am almost done, just need to unpack another one and I'll do it later,"

"Let's eat then and you can tell me how your day went," he asked her and got up to heat the pizza.

"Arnav, so, what do you actually build?" she asked him when they sat with the pizza.

"Quite a varied stuff, I'll take you down for a tour if you want," he suggested.

"Awesome," she wanted to spend time with him, no doubt.

"You know what, if you are up for it, let me be your guide,"his eyes sparkled with joy and she was more than happy to agree.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," he told her firmly.

"Okay," she nodded.

They slouched on the couch and talked for a while.
She didn't realize when her eyes closed into a peaceful sleep. It was in the wee hours of dawn that she woke up and looked around for Arnav, but he wasn't around. She picked her phone and realized it was 6:00 in the morning. She saw a text from Arnav.

Arnav: I am leaving. Don't freak out when you wake up. We were talking and you slept. So, I left. Also, I increased the temperature on the thermostat. I couldn't find a blanket (I swear I didn't rummage through your luggage.) Text me when you are up, and I'll see you tomorrow. Good night. 

She smiled realizing how cute he was. She honestly thought it was all a dream. Arnav coming and all but yes, it wasn't, and she was exhilarated. She saw his hoodie wrapped around her. 
She liked him.

Payal was surprised when Khushi told her about Arnav. She was sure her little sister was smitten by the Raizada. 

"He is a nice guy, Payal," 

"I am sure," Khushi knew Payal was smirking on the other [5000 words] end of the phone.

"Payal," 

"What?"

"Shut up, just hanging around, don't build a world," Khushi's warning earned a chuckle and then a giggle.

"Alright, I am almost at the office, talk to you later, bye, 

"Bye Khushi, stay safe,"

"I will be safe," Khushi smiled, how much ever they pulled their legs, she knew her sister would always stand by her.

Advait was pissed off. They haven't progressed any further since the last meeting. He had a deadline to meet, and the team was not progressing anywhere. He made sure he gave enough time but damn, nothing moved. He controlled his rage. He needed answers. He wants them to be answerable to each damn penny he was paying. 

He looked at his assistant and signaled him to come close.

"I want them all out for an hour and arrange a one to one with Sharath," with that he got up and walked to the attached personal room, feeling the rush to smoke.

His life felt miserable. He felt lonely and irritated all the time. It was not like he didn't acknowledge his sister's love. Watching her sister made him feel even more aloof. He didn't realize when things started slipping away from his hands. 

Edited by coolie001 - 5 years ago
ranogill thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
very interesting, Arnav and Khushi are so comfortable together 
Uzii thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
So khusi accepted his no date outing n spent a very nice evening with him n enjoyed every moment n now both are in London so lets see how they proceed,one big question is anjali's resemblance with khusi are they anyhow related to eachother as obviously arnav is not her brother in this story n she has advait her sibling so may be they are sisters or cousins.
coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8
The scary thing is the story keeps hinting towards Arnav and Khushi being siblings. 
coolie001 thumbnail

Originally posted by: coderlady

The scary thing is the story keeps hinting towards Arnav and Khushi being siblings. 

😆
chinnulu thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9
Amazing Updates
Arnav and Khushi are liking to spend time together. Loved Arnav's and Khushi's "Not a date". Arnav even impressed Shashi and Garima. Poor Akash, hope Payal put him out of his misery by letting him know what she exactly feels for him. He is building hope day by day but not able to gather the courage to talk to her or express his feelings. Loving the bond between friends and having fun at Akash's expense.

Khushi is all set to explore the professional world all by herself away from her family. Like Khushi, never expected Arnav to be from London. Now Khushi being in London, Arnav is taking full advantage in spending time with Khushi whenever he can. Wanting to know more about Advait who for now is a mystery. So Arnav and Anjali are not siblings. Anjali is worried for her brother Advait who is living in depth of miseries. Wondering why did Raghbir call Khushi as Anjali. Was she resembling so much like her? Does Khushi have any connection with Anjali due to her birth which was a mystery? Will be waiting for the puzzle to be solved in further updates.

Eager for the next one
Advance Thanks for the PM
coolie001 thumbnail
Thanks for your lovely comments, guys! 
amadea thumbnail
lovelu update , i think khushi is anjali sister
coolie001 thumbnail
We gotta wait till the next chapter😆
jyothirockz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I was thinking we would get more insight on Arnav's backdrop too .., Anjali and Khushi have same face ...? That's surprising... why did Arnav not get confused ? How is it that no one acknowledged it at the party and Anjali's husband faced the mistaken identity case. So Advait, Anjali and Khushi are siblings, Khushi being step and accidental ( if I may say b'cos of error at the hospital)... what's the root cause of Advait's misery? Edited by jyothirockz - 5 years ago