Why was Nandhini made a Victim of Abuse

Indira1211 thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
Why was Nandini made a victim of abuse in this serial. Was it to bring the message across that wives must leave their abusive husbands ..? BecAuse there was no elaboration on that. The serial didn't show nandini going for counseling or focus on the after effects that most women who've suffered trauma and abuse for years, experience.  Was she made a victim Of abuse so the viewers could feel sorry for her and accept the EMa and adultery Between her and Kunal.? Because if the main theme was EMA they could just have shown her as one of Mauli childhood friends who came to visit and then feelings and attraction  started developing between her and Kunal. I'm not sure why they made her an abused wife but did not elaborate around the theme of woman abuse . 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Cinnamonn thumbnail

I think it was to gather sympathy for her. Even I think it's absurd to show her as an victim of abuse and boom she's having an affair. This show is comedy.
arshi_asya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Even I wondered on how such a crucial subplot was so carelessly handled and shown to justify insenstivity on Nandini's part towards Mauli during the affair. 
Miss-Behave thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 6
It was quite clear that they did it for two reasons. One was to gain sympathy for nandini's character, but also to provide the viewer's with an explanation as to why she would betray the very best friend who helped her and supported her to overcome the abusive marriage she was in. They wanted to show the viewers the contrast that nandini's mind saw between her marriage and mauli's marriage, her husband rajdeep and mauli's husband kunal, to show us why she would fall in love with her best friend's husband. For her, mauli's marriage/ husband was heaven, but her own marriage/ husband in comparison was hell, and she saw mauli living the life with the type of husband she had dreamed about. It was all to explain why nandini betrayed mauli, which ultimately only made nandini look like a worse friend and very selfish to the viewers, but I imagine writer's may have known that this wouldn't have garnered sympathy for nandini anyways, but would have shown the reality of things. I've heard stories of sister's betraying their sister in just like nandini did in this exact type of situations. 

Viewer's would expect nandini to be grateful and never betray mauli for this, which is exactly why the betrayal and actions of the character resonate more negatively with viewers, but this is the reality, where people in real life have selflessly helped a friend/ sister in a difficult situation, only for them in return still only think about themselves and betray the person who helped them. It happens.

Disgusts me when I have heard stories of women trusting their sister either because the woman is pregnant and needs help at home, or the sister has been in a bad relationship, and in both situations the woman allowed her sister to stay in her home for a while, only for her sister to backstab her and sleep with her own husband. 
Edited by sammy17 - 5 years ago
music_l0ver036 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Indira1211

Why was Nandini made a victim of abuse in this serial. Was it to bring the message across that wives must leave their abusive husbands ..? BecAuse there was no elaboration on that. The serial didn't show nandini going for counseling or focus on the after effects that most women who've suffered trauma and abuse for years, experience.  Was she made a victim Of abuse so the viewers could feel sorry for her and accept the EMa and adultery Between her and Kunal.? Because if the main theme was EMA they could just have shown her as one of Mauli childhood friends who came to visit and then feelings and attraction  started developing between her and Kunal. I'm not sure why they made her an abused wife but did not elaborate around the theme of woman abuse . 

I've been saying this!!! I started watching this show because of the abuse angle. Amazing and beautiful women supporting each other and fighting abusive men and strengthening their friendship and love for each other through the struggles of life. All of that potential has been flushed down the damn toilet. I just wanted Nandani to process through her trauma realistically. Even when Nandani and Kunal got together, I wasn't that mad because I thought we'd get to see an emotional connect. Oh was I wrong about that!! But these two are so superficially together and can't seem to have one productive conversation about what they've gone through or the decision they've made about hurting Mauli. This show is so damn frustrating to say the least. 
...MonaCo... thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
You know Oprah once said you cant be friends with someone who wants your life: basically someone who is jealous of you or envious is the right word

Nandini, like you said, fell in love with Kunal as the idea of a perfect husband rather than the person himself. Too bad they didn't explore this angle properly. Would've nice to see how Nandini dealt with guilt once she realized the trauma Kunal caused Mauli to go through. In glorifying their Lo was divine they lost a golden opportunity of telling a layered, complex tale...

Originally posted by: sammy17

It was quite clear that they did it for two reasons. One was to gain sympathy for nandini's character, but also to provide the viewer's with an explanation as to why she would betray the very best friend who helped her and supported her to overcome the abusive marriage she was in. They wanted to show the viewers the contrast that nandini's mind saw between her marriage and mauli's marriage, her husband rajdeep and mauli's husband kunal, to show us why she would fall in love with her best friend's husband. For her, mauli's marriage/ husband was heaven, but her own marriage/ husband in comparison was hell, and she saw mauli living the life with the type of husband she had dreamed about. It was all to explain why nandini betrayed mauli, which ultimately only made nandini look like a worse friend and very selfish to the viewers, but I imagine writer's may have known that this wouldn't have garnered sympathy for nandini anyways, but would have shown the reality of things. I've heard stories of sister's betraying their sister in just like nandini did in this exact type of situations.

Viewer's would expect nandini to be grateful and never betray mauli for this, which is exactly why the betrayal and actions of the character resonate more negatively with viewers, but this is the hreality, where people in real life have selflessly helped a friend/ sister in a difficult situation, only for them in return still only think about themselves and betray the person who helped them. It happens.

Disgusts me when I have heard stories of women trusting their sister either because the woman is pregnant and needs help at home, or the sister has been in a bad relationship, and in both situations the woman allowed her sister to stay in her home for a while, only for her sister to backstab her and sleep with her own husband.

Krinya thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
It would actually be interesting to watch the story without the abuse angle . They had to justify nandini leaving her husband too because bharatiya naris dont cheat on their husbands normally. They do but it would be too bold , nandini would look more like a vamp them , as if she doesnt now , but still, more than what she is perceived today..
Priya_18 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: _charu_

It would actually be interesting to watch the story without the abuse angle . They had to justify nandini leaving her husband too because bharatiya naris dont cheat on their husbands normally. They do but it would be too bold , nandini would look more like a vamp them , as if she doesnt now , but still, more than what she is perceived today..

That's the issue with this serial. They took on a concept boldly but can't show a bold woman? They can't show Nandini fall for her besties husband without the abuse angle. Now, they can't even show an already independent Mauli move on? What will they show now, Kunal abusing Mauli so that she divorces him? This serial makes no sense.
jasminerahul thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
well said.nandini betrayed her own friend only bcz of the lack of love in life.they wanted to show that kunal id the first guy who was soft towards nandini which is why she fell for him .you are right.I have also noticed that in real life many home wreckers have a past 

Originally posted by: sammy17

Viewer's would expect nandini to be grateful and never betray mauli for this, which is exactly why the betrayal and actions of the character resonate more negatively with viewers, but this is the reality, where people in real life have selflessly helped a friend/ sister in a difficult situation, only for them in return still only think about themselves and betray the person who helped them. It happens.