Alisha Chinai had got a restraining order against Anu Malik #MeToo

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 5 years ago
Published: Oct 12, 2018

Alisha Chinai is the original #MeToo girl. The 90s popular pop singer had filed a sexual harassment suit against music composer-director Anu Malik back in the 1990s. After pressing charges, the Made in India singer went into hibernation, to try to deal with the trauma.
She spent several years as a recluse in Alibaug, in her home that resembled the White House (she used to be called the First Lady of Jirad).

"Every case and incident of sexual offence is very different, and only the one who wears the shoe knows where it hurts, Alisha said.

"When I sued (Anu) Malik, I fought it alone. It was an unprecedented landmark verdict and a restraining order was passed against him. The man has repeatedly begged for my forgiveness. I have chosen to forgive him and moved on, she added.
She demanded Rs 26.60 lakhs as compensation from the musician as settlement. Later, Anu Malik also filed a Rs 2 crore defamation case against her.

After the ugly turns of events, the duo decided to never work together again. In 2002, however, Alisha sang a song for the music director in Shahid-Kapoor-starrer Ishq Vishk. They also appeared together as judges for singing reality show Indian Idol.
Over 25 years later, Alisha is back with a song called Wild at Heart', which is all about spirited women living life on their own terms. She also promises to perform it as a single at the Times Litfest at Mehboob Studios in December.

Singer Sona Mohapatra called Anu Malik a 'serial predator', an allegation the music director dismissed, claiming he has never met her. In an Instagram post, she wrote, "To all the young girls & women who are coming out with their experiences with this creep, journalists, fans' & even kids from college, know that you are not alone. This guy, #KailashKher is a serial predator & has been for years as are many others like Anu Malik in the industry."