Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swar_Raj thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: egghatcher

so u think lady.......

my brother is a valedictorian from IIT powaii........ He moved for pretty much the same reasons from Mumbai to California........got embroiled in unprintable racism with the white niggers there.......couldnt run a flourished business due to massive corruption at the highest level and not just the local mafia but the politicians aswell..... they just dont like Indians doing well here..because we do not grovel like the mum chinese .....we speak up.......... anyway after years of slogging and suffering he is now back in India Pune and so far doing well .....But his rosy years of  success ride was deprived to him.......Corruption is the bane of success deterrent and hence we should have a firm watchdog policy that ensures all educated personnel a thriving career ....after all it is through knowledge that we all succeed dont we.. regionalism , racism has nothing to do with success ......they are merely devils tool for regression.

Taran ji, we all feel racism at one point. May be it prevaile dmore in that area. Being a single family of Indians, I also see that and my kids in elementary school were having racism problem. After some time I just changed the school and they donot go to public school any more. before that a lot of parents from my kid's clas and  my neighbours were all ready to go with me to the board meeting and get those kids expelled. So you do find support now (I do hear things were different before as racism was more towards hatered, so may be due to that he suffered )  if you are right. But yes it depends on area. White collars and blue colars is a big thing too. Changing country is not always easy. As said grass is greener on the other side. It is unfortunate that you brother faced such problem.  As a minor we do face certain problems.  But comparing the problem of corruption we see in our nation , the problem here is much easy to face. 

Surpremi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Swar_Raj

Sur nice to see you here 😛 😛

Merci Swar jee !!  Always good to see you 2 !!

Surpremi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

loh phir.... hoova na ek naya parotha ?? Sur ka parotha 😆

with gravity then if i might add a line or two..

as the world narrows down in its awareness of other denizens  we have not yet progressed in the aspect of courtesy and ettiquette in the true sense of the world and hence we callously omit the progress of the other brothers while shoving our own horse ahead .....again in the name of micro or macro economics ........ Personally I think its time for Malthus to invoke his wrath and decimate that notion of high and mighty some of us lucky ones have and harbour😊

Quite myopic thinking I must add for people to do that and sad that such things do happen......

The flattening of the world reminds me of the John Lennon song: "Imagine" - Imagine all the people living life in peace - I know it is hard to do - Imagine there is no country - we can live as one world !!

I think it is possible and it will happen - just a matter of time- but they say I am a dreamer - I am not the only one !!

Adorable_Ankita thumbnail
its very pity dat a country input so much mioney on its ppl but dey go to other countries to give deir services..if dis will continue how will our country will beccome a developed country ever?its really very pity bcoz dere's more dan paisa in lyf..a person must be completely dedicated towards his/her country and his services must be for his country
Bhaskar.T thumbnail
Firstly let me make one thing very clear. I feel IIT grads are still contributing a lot to the nation. And that's a fact. Just few going out does not amount to put them on the deck. Also those who have gone out are still contributing from there. The project grants that are actually running the IIT's mainly come from them and not from Govt of India as is the general impression. How much truth is there in these govt. grants and also the rosy thing said by the govt.... and that are being discussed here... I'll give the full picture as I am myself a part of IIT and have stayed back in India to pursue the research work.

Now whatever I am going to put here is based on IIT Kharagpur. I don't want to comment on anything related to other IIT's as I don't have the complete knowledge.

Nurturing new scientists, entrepreneurs, developing new world class technologies and technologies that is socially viable even mainly in the Indian context is being done regularly here. I can list out innumerable R&D projects that IIT's are completing. And mind you those projects don't have much funding too. They are being done just for the sake of advanced nation building. Yes they even include too many high class defence projects too something I may not be able to discuss here.

However it is true that with the quality of students that come out of IIT's the standard of research should be much higher. The post grad and then the research scholars left are usually half as good as the undergraduates. This trend should actually have been the opposite as is in most of the renowned Univs. The primary reason behind this is the financial difference in the salary between the industry and academics. It's a fact that the primary starting salary of a fresh IIT Grad going to the industry (be it in India or outside) is more or less same as the salary of a prof at the time of his retirement. And this is also a fact that, most finally want to earn money. Lets not be hypocrites here. Money matters.

So whats the end result. Most of the intellectual cream of the IIT's leave after graduation and only a few who have a sort of missionary motivation stay back in academics and research. Solution lies in the salary of the academics and also the research grants.

Now lets come to govt. grants. The level of quality of research that IIT's do needs a very high amount of grants. Sorry to say but govt. of India don't have the provision to provide that. If good quality research work is being done here then it's all being done by the grants coming from abroad sent by the IIT Alumni itself. Not just this... the research scholars are now being paid a handsome salary too so that good creamy students can be held back. And this comes from the IIT Alumni's staying abroad and not GOVT OF INDIA..(Here I am not talking about the salary for the staff of IIT's... which is actually what the govt mainly provide in the name of grants) These research scholars work for projects for which they get a salary and side by side do their degree too. Mind you it's a big load for the students too and to get this done they need to work inhuman hours. But in turn they are finally contributing to the nation.

So just saying that they are wrong in leaving India is injustice. Yes they may be leaving but the fact is the trend has gone down now. And also they are contributing to the nation building by providing funds to the Institute as research grants at times even from their own pockets. Best example… Vinod Gupta School of Management and Sanyal School of IT both at IIT Kharagpur, the VLSI Lab at IIT Kharagpur, first such lab in whole Asia has been funded by a US company on the recommendations of an Alumni, Intel Lab funded by Intel again on the recommendation of an IIT Alumni and many more. They are contributing a lot just that they don't make a public issue of such matters. They do it silently.

Selina thumbnail

Originally posted by: swordfishh

India is not certainly a barren land lacking in job opportunities...Yes, they might not get as hefty a pay packet in India as you might get in the USA.. But then the cost of living in India which is considerably lower makes up for it...
India has jobs.. ATLEAST for IITians there are plenty of jobs...
The unemployment is prevalent among the ordinary graduates who are unable to comepte with their counterparts who have higher professional qualifications...

And working in India does not mean having a "Drained Brain" ..... Yeah .....When Indians are ready to drain their brains for another country... They could as well do it for their own country...
Its just the lucre of the west that attracts the youth... And lack of opportunity is a mere excuse to justify their act...
India is not far behind when it comes to scientific research and in the industrial sector...

I totally agree. India has plenty of job opportunities for educated individuals who are willing to work. A higher pay bracket is what really lures them to foreign countries.

The main problem right now is the competition kids have to face to get into universities. There are so many people but not enough seats. And the ones who do get in... leave for other countries.  

sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: Selina

I totally agree. India has plenty of job opportunities for educated individuals who are willing to work. A higher pay bracket is what really lures them to foreign countries.

When you have been taught to design a Ferrari, would you rather look for a job to fix a Toyota Corolla?

sareg thumbnail

I kind of agree, while doing my graduation, I did a project, which was used by semi-govt Company for make exploration of crores of rupee's, But when it came time to give a job, the same company told me I did not have the required experience to get a job😉

Whereas if you float your resume to the industry, People will say, Oh wow, you have that experience, let me hire you, Only catch, you will have to make a passport and come and work in my country

After graduating, I got a gift of brand new Bata shoe's from my dad, and I used to make a trip to "Pariyo ki nagari" to submit my resume by hand, within 6 months those sole's on the shoe's literally wore off, Finally my mentor sat me down and said, you better take that opportunity of the foreign company and let go of your deshbhakti for your own good. Now with my experience the same companies who did not want to hire me then, now want me back at a premium salary.

Last time I visited, the local MLA came over for lunch and talked about Brain Drain, and I showed him my worn off Bata shoe's😛

I agree to some points made on the other side, they should make a law by which, the individual should be made to pick a job in the home country for like 4 years. serve his/her country, anytime till the age of say 40, so that the debt is repaid, If the individual fails to return, his degree should be revoked.

Problem is there is no law there is no such law that can be enforced in India, and you will just have to go with a Code of Honor, which is at a low thanks to the politicians who are raising this issue😉

Bhaskar.T thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

I agree to some points made on the other side, they should make a law by which, the individual should be made to pick a job in the home country for like 4 years. serve his/her country, anytime till the age of say 40, so that the debt is repaid, If the individual fails to return, his degree should be revoked.

Problem is there is no law there is no such law that can be enforced in India, and you will just have to go with a Code of Honor, which is at a low thanks to the politicians who are raising this issue😉

Sareg Bhai these laws won't ever have any effect in India atleast. There will be some way out to side step the same law and go abroad. Are the doctors in West Bengal follwoing the same. Law has been made that they are supposed to do one year in remote areas. How many go to actual remote ones. You have connections you can get posted easily in semi rural areas. Do one year and you are done with the law. Even those who take up job in remote areas just visit maybe twice a week.

The only way out is giving them incentives. There are many who would love to do govt service after getting IIT degree but the salary stops them. Give them the proper salary. You can't expect everyone to have missionary vission. One reason that now IIT's have started this entepreneurships. Anyone be it staff or students can carry on their own work too. A percentage goes into the IIT funds rest is yours. But they don't help much in the long run. Govt. finally need to come forward and provide the proper funding. Thats the only way out to stop this so called brain drain.

pure_choclate thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
iam not one of thenm but i agree with ya