This was.... low-key cringe?

Angela_Grokes thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi. 

I have highly mixed feelings about this show. I am a fan of the very first Kasauti. The thing is and one needs to remember that, the best part of the first Kasauti was that it was OTT and very unapologetic about it. This one though... it is a different thing. 

Let us talk the positives first. 

Everyone looks good. They are dressed to perfection (even if a bit unapologetic about it). The setting is good and very engaging. The background score team is a ten-on-ten. At least better than most Indian TV shows. You can really see that Ekta is committed to making is her al-a-grande. There has been some thought put into the show, and I can see that. 

But that is where my positive thoughts end. If you cannot take criticism (and logical one at that) - kindly leave. And just to get it out of the way, I am judging this on the 'Indian-television grounds' and not the 'international standards' as one might come arguing. Then... Shall we begin?

Right off the bat - this show is not subtle. Oh you are wondering who the hero is? Here is the Shri Ram background music playing! Oh you think the heroine is cute and chirpy and very very sanskari? Here are 10 characters praising her for her good will! Oh you wonder who the villain is? Here is the story of Mahishasur as a new guy enters. Geez I wonder what he is here for! Ekta, darling, I know it is hard to imagine but - Indian audience has brains. I agree we have a little less of it, but we have it. You don't need to tell us each and every thing. Seesh man... tone it down a little. 

Secondly - the characters and the acting. Here, I will not blame the actors for being not up to the mark. Reason? All the characters have been made absolutely extreme. Your good girl is extremely good girl. Your bad elitist mother is extremely bad. Your parent are extremely 'parent-y'. Again, in a way. no subtlety. Erica and Parth can do well I guess. Let us give them time. That being said- sir, Moloy Basu - ten-on-ten what a great performance to witness. 

Can we just talk about the homophobia? Sorry... casual homophobia. Listen, it know it is Indian television and we can not very concerned that the public will be offended (because it won't be), but guys please. STOP.  It is not funny anymore. I get that you wish to appeal to the youth and whatever, but there are better things to do. 

So what do I think about Kasauti Zindgi Ki Season 2? 

In the first Kasauti, at one point, Aparna (a villain whose character was a ten-on-ten) says, "I think Prerna and Anurag need to get a little dose of reality." And after eighteen years, when the show is on television again, it seems that her words stand absolutely correct. 

I am going with a 3/5 for the first episode. 
Edited by Angela_Grokes - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

episode was very ott. but it was grand in terms of budget. but ekta should focus more on scripts😆
the bad guy can be anti hero or maybe subarato who know?!?
i liked parth's acting but erika really need to up her game because i couldnt understand what she was saying! too over to top for my liking
agree with homophobia part. considering ekta n her brother r known to be in closet ones, these jokes were lame n not necessary. 
shocking was anurag's characterisation. He doesnt looks that subtle but i might change opinion after few episodes.
Angela_Grokes thumbnail
Originally posted by: SakthLaunda

episode was very ott. but it was grand in terms of budget. but ekta should focus more on scripts😆

the bad guy can be anti hero or maybe subarato who know?!?
i liked parth's acting but erika really need to up her game because i couldnt understand what she was saying! too over to top for my liking
agree with homophobia part. considering ekta n her brother r known to be in closet ones, these jokes were lame n not necessary. 
shocking was anurag's characterisation. He doesnt looks that subtle but i might change opinion after few episodes.

I am actually kind of excited to see where she takes this. Because casual homphobia, OTTness everywhere, and no logic are Ekta's brand. What I want to see is, how is she going to handle the 101 marriage plots. Because if that's overdone... public is out. Atleast, the young ones (not that there are too many). 

I really won't blame Erica... the character is made out to be OTT and add to that Erica's dialogue delivery (which she seems to have borrowed from KRPKAB) and it's just... cringe?
Melkor thumbnail
TBH after all these years with Ekta,I have grown used to her.She is nothing if not OTT and cringeworthy.This is the same woman who is creating shows like Naagin nowadays.
From what I have observed about her,she always goes to the extremes.Like in her shows if someone is traditional and sanskaari then they will always wear Indian outfits and get termed as 'behenjis' for god knows what reason.The vamps are over dressed glam dolls.
The villains are OTT and the heroes are too good to be true.

And if she wants to show that her characters are modern then it means that they will smoke,drink and use swear words.Her web series are a clear example of that.This lady doesn't know what subtlety is.

The homophobic jokes shocked me and left a bad taste in my mouth.This is not something which you can joke about.But she made a bigger caricature of homosexuality in PKYEK prior to this.So even this is nothing new.

What I loved the most about the episode was Parth ❤️He has given his own touches to Anurag and its impressive.
Edited by LawlessLawyer - 5 years ago
suhaaana thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
Episode was Okay I really liked anurag's character he may have some changes that will make him to stand for himself. Just hope he isn't like the first season. 
Angela_Grokes thumbnail
Originally posted by: LawlessLawyer

TBH after all these years with Ekta,I have grown used to her.She is nothing if not OTT and cringeworthy.This is the same woman who is creating shows like Naagin nowadays.

From what I have observed about her,she always goes to the extremes.Like in her shows if someone is traditional and sanskaari then they will always wear Indian outfits and get termed as 'behenjis' for god knows what reason.The vamps are over dressed glam dolls.
The villains are OTT and the heroes are too good to be true.

And if she wants to show that her characters are modern then it means that they will smoke,drink and use swear words.Her web series are a clear example of that.This lady doesn't know what subtlety is.

The homophobic jokes shocked me and left a bad taste in my mouth.This is not something which you can joke about.But she made a bigger caricature of homosexuality in PKYEK prior to this.So even this is nothing new.

What I loved the most about the episode was Parth ❤️He has given his own touches to Anurag and its impressive.

Yes I completely get that we cannot expect Ekta to be subtle but i remember Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki and in it, Parvati was not as plain and just overall OTT. The thing is that Ekta does not even want to try now. Both, Paravati the character and Sakshi Tanwar the actor were the reason the show, in spite of being very OTT, did not feel like that. I am not even saying to remove it, but maybe tone it down. 

Angela_Grokes thumbnail
Originally posted by: suhaaana

Episode was Okay I really liked anurag's character he may have some changes that will make him to stand for himself. Just hope he isn't like the first season. 

It is very interesting to see where they take the characters and how they shape them. Anurag is only one of the many characters I am excited to see. 
Melkor thumbnail
Originally posted by: Angela_Grokes

Yes I completely get that we cannot expect Ekta to be subtle but i remember Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki and in it, Parvati was not as plain and just overall OTT. The thing is that Ekta does not even want to try now. Both, Paravati the character and Sakshi Tanwar the actor were the reason the show, in spite of being very OTT, did not feel like that. I am not even saying to remove it, but maybe tone it down. 

I simply loved Sakshi as Parvati.And dunno whether you have seen it or not but she even did a better job as Janki Devi who was Parvati's alter ego.
Coming back to the topic,I would love it more than anything if Ekta tones down the OTTness
Even KZK1 was subtle initially when it began and gradually the OTTness took over.
Lets hope Ekta considers the feedback of the viewers 

The homophobic jokes were unforgivable though🤢
hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
The casual homophobia bothered me the most because ... is it meant to appease the Parth fangirls after the Vikas Gupta controversy? Isn't it pretty much known that they were in a relationship? That just makes it more insensitive. How uncomfortable for the actor.
BB12 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hello all,
I have not watched the previous season. 
Coming to S2,Epi 1 was good. 

Erica's acting disappointed me(When she was hurrily talking to Parth that could have been better) ,
otherwise, the lead pair are impressive.
Edited by BB12 - 5 years ago