To DESERVE or NOT TO DESERVE - Sameer & Naina

Dr.DonnyJohn thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi Fandom, after going through yesterday's episode (in fact previous few episodes) and also checking out the lukewarm response in the forum, a random thought came up to mind. 

What has changed so much in our preferred show? The show was so connecting to all that there were reactions both in support and contrary to the characters. We used to delve into all the aspects of the reactions shown by the characters. But suddenly this hyper-activism has been replaced by disconnected responses to the characters with an enthusiasm much lower than previous episodes (at least till the Puja marriage and love confession). 

On a random thought, I feel the key reason for this disconnect is - To Deserve or Not To Deserve. 

The key word here is: DESERVE

Let me start from the beginning to get to what I want to express. 

Note: WDE stands for Writers, Director & Editors

1. (Phase 1) - Pre Bet Revelation 

During the bet phase, we all witnessed an amazing progress in the story, where a sweet-hearted selfless girl fell into a deep infatuation with an arrogant but yet good-hearted handsome boy. That infatuating went through many shades and finally turned in to deep love in Naina for Sameer. 

At that point, Sameer was oblivious to Naina's love for him. He was least bothered. Though, as per the progression in the story, we all felt that he is a boy with a golden heart and a lot of emotional pressures.

And we all felt that after years of being tormented, mistreated by the trio in her family - the sweet simple Naina DESERVES the LOVE of Sameer. 

We also felt that SAMEER also deserves the love of Naina as he is also equally alone like her. 

We felt that they DESERVE each other and belonged with each other to heal each other and experience the love and joy of being loved unconditionally.

The entire school phase in the bet phase was amazing to say the least.

We witnessed the amazing growth of affection for Naina for Sameer. However, we also witnessed how Sameer fell in love with Naina even though he kept denying every time. The power of Naina's immense care and affection was too much for Sameer to ignore or let go.

That Mt. Abu Night conversation and Sunrise (2 Episodes) are still etched in every viewer's imagination. I also have those two episodes on my phone as they are just bright and perfectly executed episodes.

(The writers, directors, and editors did an exceptional job in portraying the above, as we as viewers just fell in love with the different yet loving characters of Naina & Sameer of the 90s. Salute to the writers, directors, and editors of that time. They got us hooked to the show)

2. (Phase 2) - Bet Revelation

All through the build-up to bet revelation, we all viewers were so restless. As we did not want the two lovebirds to get hurt. We were in the zone that - "Please God! They DESERVE each other"  

Yet, we all were somewhere angry with Sameer on placing a bet on Naina's love. We all felt it was a sin. Even the character of Sameer felt it was a sin after the revelation. 

When finally the truth of BET was revealed to Naina, we all went silent with her. She was hurt, humiliated and angry. You all would remember the silent bus ride Naina made to her home and the way she was trying to wash herself to remove the feel of the touch with Sameer. We all cried with her. 

We all questioned, however good Sameer may be in his heart does he DESERVE Naina after what he has done. No, he did not! There is no way a boy can DESERVE a sweet simple girl after humiliating her the way Sameer did. 

The writers, directors, and editors again did a tremendous job in keeping us hooked with the wrong Sameer did with Naina. We all were unanimous, Sameer cannot be forgiven just like that. Leave out getting the love of Naina. The WDE (writers, director, and editors) did a tremendous job in keeping us connected to the show.

We all knew Sameer was wrong and had no idea how can he make up to what he has done. It seemed impossible for us (and Naina) to forgive him, leave out Naina loving him again. 

Sameer did not Deserve Naina.

3. (Phase 3) The Most Important Redemption

By the end of Phase 2 - we did not know how Sameer can ever get the love and trust of Naina back. What he did was not to be forgiven by viewers and Naina. 

The epic face off between Sameer & Naina was so tough. Naina poured her heart out on the virtues of first love and true love. Her each word echoed the pain she was going through and we all were also sad to see that there was noting Sameer could do at that moment to make Naina believe that he has changed. That he loved her. 

Sameer had become a sinner for us & Naina who cannot be trusted.

And then started one of the most amazing phases in our show - the redemption of Sameer. 

WDE (writers, director, and editors) just hit the ball out of the park in depicting this phase. So, amazing and well managed was this track that towards the end of it we all were begging the character of Naina to relent and accept the love of Sameer. 

We felt Sameer is true. Naina felt Sameer is true. And we the viewers again felt that Sameer DESERVES Naina and Naina DESERVES his love in her life.

For 3 long months, Sameer went through his journey of redemption. And with every step, every insult and every hurt he took we felt the pain of boy who not only realizes his mistake but wants to restore Naina's faith in love.

And finally when the hard shell of Naina started to break unable to take the immense efforts and love of Sameer we all rejoiced. It was parallel to Sameer not able to stop himself from falling in love when showered with unconditional care and love by Naina (in the pre-bet revelation phase). 

When the shell of Naina finally broke completely, we saw some amazing subtle romance between Sameer and Naina and we all felt the goosebumps of being in love. Throughout the ending of Puja's marriage phase, we lapped up every romantic moment of the two lovebirds as they felt so right and so DESERVING of each other.

It was perhaps the highest point of the show in terms of viewers connectivity. Sameer's hard achieved redemption finally made him worthy of Naina's love and Naina couldn't keep herself away from that love. 

Soon, under the cover of the cricket match, it was the love confession time. The entire fandom just connected in all entirity when Naina finally said to Sameer "I love you, Sameer"

At that moment again they DESERVED each other. 

Sameer's redemption was the most important part of the story and without that, we would have never been able to connect to Sameer's love for Naina or Naina's acceptance of Sameer's love. 

WDE were immensely successful in keeping the viewers connected. 

4. (Phase 4) - Pyaar Aur Parivar Phase

After the Sameer's redemption during Puja's marriage, the next most crucial track was Naina's decision to leave Sameer. 

It as an immensely important track that dealt with a very serious subject pertinent to all lover from 90s till today - Pyar Vs Parivaar. 

We all know how this track progressed. The aim of the track was to hight light a very practical issue of love and family acceptance. Naina felt that her family would never accept her love with Sameer and the best way to resolve it is to cut off Sameer from her life. She convinced herself that it was for her good. 

Though I feel it was still selfish of the character of Naina, it does happen in real life cases too. When one individual decides to break the relation, then he or she is always quick to go for the kill or the saying the decision to the other person. Reason being the person initiating the break up wants to get it done asap and leave the place. This is in a bid to avoid the immediate questions by the other person, to avoid feeling weak or not to the person who is not in control. When one says No, at that point that person is in control.

Till that point it was fine. Infact, what followed after that is also very realistic (though selfish again from one side). Naina trying to snub and misbehave with Sameer to bridge more walls between them is practical as that is the way how you make a person feel bad and push him/her away from you. Hence, Naina constantly hammering to Sameer that he is nothing when it comes to her family and other insults were practical in many ways as it happens in real life also the same way (though still selfish)

WDE were actually able to present how a girl who just cut off her love of 3 years should behave to cope with it. 

WDE also presented Naina's anguish and entrapment in her family very well. She truly appeared trapped for all corners without any way to escape.

It was equally realistic to show Naina unhappy to see Sameer trying to move on. 
She wanted him to renounce everything yet she was still going to marry another boy. This mentality is very realistic and regular occurrence. For example, during my college days, I have seen many boys and girls who first ditch their lover on their own. The one who gets ditched cries and begs and scrambles for some time. Slowly they gather themselves and move on. And when that happens, the person who ditched them is most of the times not happy to see that (either due to ego or due to that fact that the new relation is not what they expected it to be). Hence, Naina was going through the same which is very realistic. 

WDE also showed the pain of Sameer after Naina just cut him off from his life. It was again very realistic and natural. From denial to desperation to anger and final submission - Sameer showed all shades. Same happens in real life breakups too. 

Sameer trying to move on in any way he can also was very realistic. WDE showed it as it happens practically. 

However, in spite of all their efforts to project the situation of Naina, throughout the track there was also the growing sentiment in many viewers that the character of Sameer is being unfairly treated by Naina.

It came from the fact that, previously Naina has preached so much about true love and when the time came she ran away leaving Sameer even before the fight can start. However, it again is practical as people do so. 

WDE were highly successful in creating the serious scenario of Naina leaving Sameer and Sameer left behind to face the consequences. In the entire track, it was never shown that Naina even wants to fight for her future. And suddenly her perspective groom turns out to be a psycho. (What if he was a good person is one qs many fandom did ask). Finally, fate made Naina's allegiance break and she was free.

And this is where WDE went absolutely wrong. After a very tough phase of forced separation initiated by a single person, none of the writers, editor or the director deemed it necessary to at least spend 3 episodes to reconcile the matter. To make the breakup initiator realize how she not only affected the life of the person she claims to love and his near ones also.

When it comes to Naina, the writers without realizing kept projecting her as someone who is devoid of empathy and thoughtfulness towards how her behaviour and decisions affect the others. 

As much as we love the romance, the main USP of this show is its realistic approach.  The benchmark of this realistic has been set so high that without the redemption of Naina and her subsequent efforts to resolve the mess she has created, everything else is appearing DISCONNECTED. 

Without the redemption, realization and a personal face to face conversation between Sameer & Naina (similar to MT. Abu) , all the proceedings are now appearing like a SOAP that has to run. (away from realistic approach).

The end to the track was done via the threat approach of Naina which again diluted the seriousness of what had transpired between Sameer and Naina for past few months. 

Because it now appears either Sameer is an idiot lost in his love for Naina to speak anything realistic or Naina is devoid of the realization in resolving the past complications created by her before heading to next phase.

It appears that that tables have been reversed and now Naina does not DESERVE such a loyal and dedicated Sameer (when the current behaviour of Naina is considered). 

Its complete opposite to the time when we all felt that Sameer does not deserve the love of such a nice girl after humiliating her in a lowly manner.

So, you see its a swing of who deserves whom ... and based on that feeling we are either connected or disconnected to the current progression in the show.

WDE have been extremely inconsistent in maintaining this balance. On top of that they also have been immensely careless towards the presentation of the the character of Naina as the show has progressed.

Just some ramblings in my free time after seeing the current episodes where I guess many of us are feeling no connection to the story progression like before.
(Not meant to hurt anyone's preference and opinions)
Edited by Dr.Don - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gugul thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Dr. Don you have so beautifully captured the essence of the show in phase 1, 2 and 3. Really they were the best phase of the show and was so well executed. 
The family scenes looked good and enjoyable, the school scenes were awesome, the phone calls were heart touching... everything was so good and so well executed. Our actors were also superb. 

But now, that feel is missing. I completely agree with you that they are not giving a proper closure to any of the tracks. No one is talking properly. Be it the manhoosiyat track, Pooja Bittu or the major separation track. None of them got the required closure. It seems after dragging the track the CVs are in a hurry to close it. 😔

And the most important thing which is lacking I feel is our leads are not talking. Even during Delhi phase we had thought that Sameer our open his heart out to Naina telling her about all the tortures that daadi had done on him. Or he would talk about Rohan and Dipika. But no... Not a single dialogue about them. 

Also I felt the scene with chacahji, they could have included some dialogues of chachaji explaining the reason behind his acceptance. He could have shared that he was impressed with sameer's love for Naina or he knew that Sameer would take care of Naina like no other in the world etc. But nothing!!

And after the leads are together till now no conversation.tgey had a phone call which continued throughout the night but we get only BG music. So we should assume that they spoken about everything 

Let's see what's in store for us. How are they going to close the Naina Swati sunaina drama needs to be seen but now I don't have any expectations. I am just watching the episodes ... No expectations. 
ruchi3179 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Dr don I completely agree.I don't know this naina and I HV stopped watching the show due to this disconnect only.
viraf4u thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Very well put and yes completely agree with you. And yes we have been voicing forever here that conversation, heart to heart is missing and it seems the trend is continuing now not only with Sameer and Naina but between the gang as well.. all are taking for granted each other and does not care to ask or talk...just so sad how this is going.. I hope there is a turnaround phase somewhere down the road...if not well its a show after all and we should expect and watch this phase of the show as just that...and not keep on expecting it like the first phases of the show.. pre March 2018.
Samaina_1990 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Doc! Agree with you completely...I'm feeling completely disconnected from the character of Naina as well as the show. I don't even watch it regularly. Sometimes, I force myself to do so when my friends here suggest or due to my loyalty for the show I fell in love with. 
The phase 4 that you've pointed out is the root cause of all problems here. Naina had her flaws, but we never expected her to be this selfish. She only had her own self, her dignity, her family in mind, and not once did she think about Sameer. After a point, it felt to me Naina never even thought about him, nor missed him, nor wished to spend her life with him anymore. Yes, she's resigned to her fate, but Sameer deserves a mention in her thoughts, her tears, her diary (she hardly writes!) 
She conveniently forgot the way she ditched him when chachaji approved of them and when Sharad turned out to be one MCP! This is what troubles me and makes me feel like switching the TV off everytime I see her face on screen. 
At least, CVs could have shown Naina realizing her folly, her selfishness and trying to make up for the pains she caused Sameer, for standing upto her family (even chachaji) for once. If she made Sameer go through all that post the bet, is she not in for a crime of the same gravity as he'd done. 
And what was that suicide track. Thoughtless, pointless and Munna asking for forgiveness when he was the only one being sane. Had she gone upto her dad and told him she loves Sameer and will marry him...that...would have been a test of her loyalty. 
I don't have hopes for the show now. Trying to relive the characters I admired through the stories on this forum. Rest, Samaina of our show have lost their sparkle! All thanks to the terrible execution since Delhi track, which worsened to the hilt with the breakup phase here. 
Sur
Samaina12 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I never felt disconnected. Its just that u people seem to think too much or may be.this is the first daily soap that you have been watching. 
If u feel disconnected u can take a break.
Khushi_love thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Agree completely with your post...
For me, basically, till the mandir Chachaji confession scene, it was like Sameer & Naina were 2 real people with real problems in the 90's..

Since the mandir scene, Sameer & Naina are 2 characters of the soap called YUDKBH, where
1)  FL needs to have the upper hand, 
2) with the usual s-t-r-e-t-c-h tracks.  
tannulove07 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
ya at some points i am agree with you... even i feel till Delhi track show was very well executed ...each n every character portrayed
but i never felt disconnected... during Break-up track i felt pain  of naina & sameer...

Blue saree scane nailed it by ASHI SINGH...Lifeless Girl ...Scarified her happiness her love just sake of her family... 
Edited by tannulove07 - 5 years ago
Dr.DonnyJohn thumbnail

Originally posted by: Samaina12

I never felt disconnected. Its just that u people seem to think too much or may be.this is the first daily soap that you have been watching. 

If u feel disconnected u can take a break.

Hey dude (or Dud-ess) could you stop passing remarks on all the people who are responding. You may not agree to what's written and you are free to voice your opinion. 

But passing personal remarks! You speak as though watching a Show is a Qualified Degree and You are Phd in it. 

If you were so detached from the show, then you should have no problem ignoring my post. I will be glad that you ignored my post and did not comment. 😆

But, you end up commenting every time passing some remarks to me or to the people who commented! Way to go !👏

(I don't even think you read whats was written. There are so may good points on the show. You just read the 1st line and the last line and comment. Please give a royal ignore to my next posts. I will be glad you did so!)

Edited by Dr.Don - 5 years ago
Dr.DonnyJohn thumbnail

Originally posted by: gugul

Dr. Don you have so beautifully captured the essence of the show in phase 1, 2 and 3. Really they were the best phase of the show and was so well executed. 

The family scenes looked good and enjoyable, the school scenes were awesome, the phone calls were heart touching... everything was so good and so well executed. Our actors were also superb. 

But now, that feel is missing. I completely agree with you that they are not giving a proper closure to any of the tracks. No one is talking properly. Be it the manhoosiyat track, Pooja Bittu or the major separation track. None of them got the required closure. It seems after dragging the track the CVs are in a hurry to close it. 😔

And the most important thing which is lacking I feel is our leads are not talking. Even during Delhi phase we had thought that Sameer our open his heart out to Naina telling her about all the tortures that daadi had done on him. Or he would talk about Rohan and Dipika. But no... Not a single dialogue about them. 

Also I felt the scene with chacahji, they could have included some dialogues of chachaji explaining the reason behind his acceptance. He could have shared that he was impressed with sameer's love for Naina or he knew that Sameer would take care of Naina like no other in the world etc. But nothing!!

And after the leads are together till now no conversation.tgey had a phone call which continued throughout the night but we get only BG music. So we should assume that they spoken about everything 

Let's see what's in store for us. How are they going to close the Naina Swati sunaina drama needs to be seen but now I don't have any expectations. I am just watching the episodes ... No expectations. 

Hi Gugul, 

Thanks for commenting, 

The benchmarks of realistic presentation has been set very high in all teh major tracks of Phase 1 , 2 & 3. 

In the previous track too (Naina leaving Sameer for Parivar) was perhaps the most important track of the story for the leads who are now adults or going to be officially adults)

The entire phase was also shown very realistically (irrespective which character different viewers supported). 

However, the conclusion to the track was equally rushed and plain water types. After taking the viewers to the heights of pain of Sameer and Naina, the ending was very ordinary. 

After such a hard hitting realistic presentation, the conclusion also needs to be at par.

But, it seems to be the pattern some of the previous tracks before. The writers needs to tighten it.