There was so much potential but I'm just confused and disappointed

music_l0ver036 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago
I was attracted to the freshness and uniqueness of this show when I got to know of it. When I actually watched it, I was pleasantly surprised because it dealt with issues that Indian media rarely talks about. I enjoyed watching a show where women leaving her abusive husband and learning to be assertive and independent was the focal point. But then that wasn't the focal point anymore, which is fine, because even then the uniqueness factor never left the show. I understood where Nandani was coming from. When you have Rajdeep on one hand who is so toxic and a sucmbag and contrast it with Kunal, a man that is respectful, understanding and loving, it's understandable why you would fall for him. As the stories progressed, we still saw Nandani act like a trauma victim, she sought shelter, needed help getting back on her feet, and she fell for the wrong person. Her emotions were displaced, naturally so when all things considered. 
However, the last few episodes and what I'm assuming the future episodes will include do not align with what I expected the show to head towards. How interesting would it have been if Nandani took a few minutes to stop and think about what happened to her for 7 years. She was repeatedly physically, emotionally and sexually abused. She went through a miscarriage. She is in the middle of a divorce. These things are barely mentioned anymore besides when it happened. It should be getting recognition and time and space to be talked about and dealt with before any introduction of another person in Nandani's life. I was fine with KN falling for each other but it came at the most inconvenient time. I've been reading posts on here, and it led me to think a little harder and that all of KN bs is really rushed and not properly handled. 
Both Kunal and Mauli are doctors. It's probably obvious to them the emotional toll it's taken on Nandani to go through all the abuse. Nandani is depressed, anxiety ridden, and is not in the right state of mind at the moment. She needs to talk to a therapist and sort out her issues. It's hard to believe that someone who has been sexually abused so many times initiates sex. And why is there zero mention of Mauli at all times when K and N are together? IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. 
This show could have gone amazing directions and taken so many great steps towards talking about rape culture in India but instead they are making light of it. 
I'm so sad haha, I just thought the show would be better than it is and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm whining too much. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vibha28 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Great post , and I agree completely I have the same problem.

Kunal is a doctor and he has breached every ethics there is and right now nothing is making sense.

Nothing more to ad as you said it perfectly.
Isolophiliac thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Agree with you.. the show could have gone places with a tight script and better writing exploring all of their emotions.. but right now it's a mess with Nandini being so confusing, going to mauli's house without any guilt..
maybe she is not in the right state of mind.. the 7 years of abuse is not easy to handle.. she needs therapy before she could actually take decisions for her life..
Isolophiliac thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Sorry..doubly postEdited by abi_sanam - 5 years ago
IndianFariyTale thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
πŸ‘

Originally posted by: music_l0ver036

I was attracted to the freshness and uniqueness of this show when I got to know of it. When I actually watched it, I was pleasantly surprised because it dealt with issues that Indian media rarely talks about. I enjoyed watching a show where women leaving her abusive husband and learning to be assertive and independent was the focal point. But then that wasn't the focal point anymore, which is fine, because even then the uniqueness factor never left the show. I understood where Nandani was coming from. When you have Rajdeep on one hand who is so toxic and a sucmbag and contrast it with Kunal, a man that is respectful, understanding and loving, it's understandable why you would fall for him. As the stories progressed, we still saw Nandani act like a trauma victim, she sought shelter, needed help getting back on her feet, and she fell for the wrong person. Her emotions were displaced, naturally so when all things considered. 

However, the last few episodes and what I'm assuming the future episodes will include do not align with what I expected the show to head towards. How interesting would it have been if Nandani took a few minutes to stop and think about what happened to her for 7 years. She was repeatedly physically, emotionally and sexually abused. She went through a miscarriage. She is in the middle of a divorce. These things are barely mentioned anymore besides when it happened. It should be getting recognition and time and space to be talked about and dealt with before any introduction of another person in Nandani's life. I was fine with KN falling for each other but it came at the most inconvenient time. I've been reading posts on here, and it led me to think a little harder and that all of KN bs is really rushed and not properly handled. 
Both Kunal and Mauli are doctors. It's probably obvious to them the emotional toll it's taken on Nandani to go through all the abuse. Nandani is depressed, anxiety ridden, and is not in the right state of mind at the moment. She needs to talk to a therapist and sort out her issues. It's hard to believe that someone who has been sexually abused so many times initiates sex. And why is there zero mention of Mauli at all times when K and N are together? IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. 
This show could have gone amazing directions and taken so many great steps towards talking about rape culture in India but instead they are making light of it. 
I'm so sad haha, I just thought the show would be better than it is and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm whining too much. 

πŸ‘πŸ‘. Ermegad.  Yes. You've expressed yourself so perfectly .  These were the same thoughts in my head. A plot that could have been extremley interesting with layers and depth.characters that could have been fascinating , and a space on TV for dialogue about complex ,hard issues .
Ps : Plis be my friend😳
Sabyata thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Story line was alright..and we all know--this is reality of our society
Only concern--Is presentation was bad..
pamk06 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
It would have been nice if they would have addressed those factors in a sensible manner or a way that we would have thought that Nandini is finally recovered. But abuse and her recovery were never the center point of this show. EMA was. So they used those as plot points, where abuse was the way to get Nandini into Kunal and Mauli life, and her recovery for Kunal and Nandini's story to move forward. Everytime they have used abuse was to push the EMA story further. That was its only purpose in this show. IMO, they are not going to address it and even if they do it would be through a scene or dialogue or only if it helps the story in future. 
There was another show called Saubhagayavati Bhav where the center theme was abuse and FL fight to free herself from it and her recovery from it. The whole show revolved around it but as this is EMA, they will only concentrate on that part. They are not doing a good job of that either but well that's a different discussion. 

Could they have used something else, absolutely but i think they went with abuse was to gain sympathy for Nandini as well as to understand her psychology as she traverses this path against the society norms. How its backfired right?

SummerRain7 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Abuse and friendship , both were plot points. Abuse awakened the savior instinct in Kunal and brought him and Nandini closer to each other, while Mauli-Nandini's friendship was used to bring Nandini to Mauli's home (and of course adds to the controversial nature)  where Kunal and Nandini can be in close quarters. Once the purpose was served, they have forgotten all about it and hence the appearance of this friendship as extremely one sided and Nandini's character incomprehensible and lacking consistency.
Now I keep imagining a story where Nandini is also a working professional like Kunal and Mauli , but either recently divorced or in an unhappy marriage. She could be a counsellor or a therapist and Kunal and her could run into each other in a professional space and then develop feelings for each other. It would have been so interesting to watch. 

But I think the makers are not daring enough to show something like that. Because in the absence of abuse or any other 'circumstances' divine or otherwise, it would actually make the characters look very grey. I believe they are either not skilled enough to write such layered characters or they feel the audience won't accept them. And this fear is what made them add the whole divinity crap to this story and that extra-dose of sanskaar to Nandini's character, (she doesn't call him over for movie or dinner out or long drives or even for ahem ahem-she calls him over for Puja, one after the other πŸ˜•) and thus making everything look very circumstantial and the characters such divine souls with whom destiny is playing a cruel game. 
CoffeeCake thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
You are reading too much between the line. There's no revealation about Nandini has anxiety or any other mental issue. She doesn't look like having any mental illness. She's perfectly fine and involved in romance with a married man. She is such a great lady who doesn't wish to get any legal status as well, there is no proper talk or conversation, there's no time to think that they need to make their f**ked up relation legal. She's happy taking benefits from her ex friend's husband. If you talk, that is waste of time and less time will remain to do cochicoo with kunal.

It never had any scope to begin with. Is there anyway to glorify EMA when you have wife like Mauli? Is there any way to justify betrayal if you have friend like Mauli? Even if this was slow drama where Nandini and kunal would have taken long time to falk for each other, still it would have looked total garbage. Why does a man who is more than happy in his marriage need another woman? Why does a woman who was raped need a man in bed?

When this show started, it was very clear to me that this entire abuse angle is there to glorify future affair. They have made mockery of real rape and domestic violence victim. I remember reading reports about delhi gang rape case in 2012, that girl wanted those assholes to get punished even on death bed. You should watch last movie of late Sridevi 'Mom'. Pakistani actress Sajal Ali has nailed it as rape victim. That's the pain, trauma and agony of rape victims. But Nandini has made is some small issue by jumping in bed with a married man on first given opportunity? 

Only way to deal with this EMA angle- they should have made Kunnu-nannu as gray and selfish characters. Not some innocent soul who are victims of juzbaat. Or they should have included problems in kunal-mauli's marriage from beginning.
arshi_asya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: SummerRain7

Abuse and friendship , both were plot points. Abuse awakened the savior instinct in Kunal and brought him and Nandini closer to each other, while Mauli-Nandini's friendship was used to bring Nandini to Mauli's home (and of course adds to the controversial nature)  where Kunal and Nandini can be in close quarters. Once the purpose was served, they have forgotten all about it and hence the appearance of this friendship as extremely one sided and Nandini's character incomprehensible and lacking consistency.

Now I keep imagining a story where Nandini is also a working professional like Kunal and Mauli , but either recently divorced or in an unhappy marriage. She could be a counsellor or a therapist and Kunal and her could run into each other in a professional space and then develop feelings for each other. It would have been so interesting to watch. 

But I think the makers are not daring enough to show something like that. Because in the absence of abuse or any other 'circumstances' divine or otherwise, it would actually make the characters look very grey. I believe they are either not skilled enough to write such layered characters or they feel the audience won't accept them. And this fear is what made them add the whole divinity crap to this story and that extra-dose of sanskaar to Nandini's character, (she doesn't call him over for movie or dinner out or long drives or even for ahem ahem-she calls him over for Puja, one after the other πŸ˜•) and thus making everything look very circumstantial and the characters such divine souls with whom destiny is playing a cruel game. 

In Balika Vadhu, Kottary made Gauri a doctor along with Jagiya who happened to fall for each other. Of course child marriage served as an excuse for Jagiya to leave Anandi. (Gauri was hated with passion at that time along with Jagiya & the actress playing her wasn't even that famous). 
They thought just because they have famous actors playing that part, they just couldn't deal it with the plot. Nandini-Kunal would have been hated by majority anyway since audience finds it hard to understand grey characters.
But, the way they chose to ruin the story just because they thought popular actors wouldn't garner so much extreme reaction is so disappointing.