Porus 156-158: Mind games end, end game begins

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago

Folks, 

At the end of last night's episode, Maharaj Purushottam was standing tall, hands  locked behind his back, looking at the departing Alexander,  with a fuming Acharya Chanakya, looking as if he was going to get an apoplectic fit,   in the background.

He had just finished  countering Alexander's parting challenge: Zeus ka beta hoon main,  saare Bharat ko jala daalonga!,  with a cool Agar tumhare paas aag hai, to hamaare pas Maa Jhelum ka aashirwaad hai . Uske pavitra jal se tumhari aag bhi bujh jaayegi, aur raakh ka tarpan bhi ho jaayega!

I doubt if Alexander understood this  tarpan business,  but it was a truly πŸ€£ moment, and I was in stitches.  If it has been a tennis match over these last three episodes,  it would have been  the last game, the last set and the match to Porus.

I don't want to overstrain either your patience or my fingers, so I shall try to be as brief as I possibly can. Which will be  tough, as there were wonderful passages in all three episodes, but I will do my best.

Most of my space will be devoted to last night's one, which I quite frankly  loved. And it is very rare for me to love an episode with large chunks of Porus πŸ˜‰ holding forth, as he usually does, on matters moral that distinguish the Bharatiyas as  a race from the lesser mortals! 

This time  I loved it because he made short statements, statements that fitted neatly into, and flowed naturally from the structure of  his argument with Chanakya, he was unfailingly  logical and to the point, and  he did NOT make a speech. 

If this had been the annual debate in the Oxford Union, and the  proposition was:  It is perfectly  all right to  trap the enemy of your country  through deceit and  kill him, Porus , speaking against the proposition,  would have won  hands down.  πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Three sets, three winners

Episode 156: Set 1: Chanakya: In the Monday episode, the winner was clearly Chanakya. He came back from a losing postion - when Alexander  turned the invitation to visit Paurav Rashtra, which  Chanakya had  faked so meticulously,  down flat - to win hands down. He achieved this by identifying and exploiting  Alexander's one weakness, his  love for his mother, and using it to  trap Alexander in  the web he has spun with such care.

Alexander's lines are usually very good, but here they were excellent.

Alexander kisi mauke ka mohtaj nahin, Aalim. Maine sari duniya apne sharton par jeeti hai, aur Bharat bhi main apni sharton par jeetoonga... .Aur sher ke liye jangal apna ho ya kisi aur ka, wo jangal ke doosre janwaron ke saamne  dosti ka haath nahin badhaata.

And then, at the end of the passage, as Olympias, her fear writ  large on the face, forbids him from going to Paurav Rashtra:  Aapka khauff main samajh raha  hoon, Maa. Par wo Shah  hi kya jo khudh duniya jeete aur uski maa khauff se haar jai? Alexander is not a touchy  feely person, and he rarely hugs even Olympias, but here protective tenderness drips from every word of his.

Yes, and the nazar utarna scene. It was so sweet and touching, the way in which the otherwise hard as nails Olympias invokes the gods to protect her son, and the way in which Alexander laps up all this coddling,  eyes closed in sheer pleasure. And Roxanne was not there either, a big plus for me!πŸ˜‰ 

If Olympias is  really leaving, I think that Alexander won't tell her about Porus being alive after all, for that would throw her into a blue funk, and  she will stay put !πŸ˜†

I no longer question scripting bloomers like Chanakya quoting the Delphic prophecy as warning against a king who would be  Jhelum paar.The junior Priestess never says anything about the Jhelum,  or about Alexander having had Philip assassinated either,  but Chanakya incorporates the first in his spiel that flummoxes Olympias, and mentions the second in his retort  after Alexander accuses him of dhoka. Chalo  chodo!

Chanakya  is superb in the whole of this passage, as in fact in the earlier, though unsuccessful one in Ambhiraj's  state room. His face is a study in innocence and would be helpfulness, and he even asserts, with a perfectly straight face, that he has nothing against Alexander gaining dominion over the whole of Bharat. And even in the moments when no one is looking at him, he remains in character, so to speak, instead of  smirking for the benefit of the audience, as most of our TV actors are made to do. Small mercies!

Sony Chanakya: In all that follows, I am of course discussing only the actions of the Sony Chanakya and the reactions thereto. The real one would never have committed such a colossal error of judgment as keeping Porus in the dark all along, and then expecting him, when the matter is sprung on him without warning,  to  kill Alexander, under the prevailing circumstances, in cold blood.

Episode 157: Set 2:  Alexander: Now this was a real treat for students and practitioners of  diplomacy.  We saw Alexander, facing almost sure death, talk his way out of the steel jawed trap that Chanakya had sprung on him.

The end   result  was that  the most astute, devious and ruthless political tactician of that age in Bharatvarsh, and most likely the whole world,  has the tables smoothly turned on him by an  even shrewder Macedonian. 

I confess that I did not expect this twist.  I thought that Puru would not be able to kill an unarmed man, and would  thus stop in the very last  moment. Which is of course what he does, Chanakya's desperate command to him notwithstanding. 

What I did not expect was that Alexander would, with his back to the wall,  pull off a verbal coup that stops Porus in his tracks, checkmates Chanakya, and  also dismays the  assemblage of kings.  

Superb tactics: He betrays not the least fear or even agitation. Instead, he is unruffled and  effortlessly articulate. His words drip  searing contempt and cut deep into Porus' psyche:   

Sone ki chidiya hai yeh sunkar aaya tha, par yeh nahin jaanta tha ki yahan ke baashinde giddhon ki tarah shaatir nikalenge (the latest addition to the  Porus menagerie; siyaar aur abhi giddh,  or vulture!πŸ˜†) Mehmaan banakar nyota denge par  dushman banakar kaath denge... 

He claps derisively, and then moves to address the assemblage. ...Suna tha dosti ki khatir seene par kataar jhel lete hain Bharatiya.. Par yahan to  dost banakar peeth par chura bhonka jaa raha hai..

His  lines were perfectly tailored to put Porus on the  defensive. They were also splendidly worded.

Khair, qubool hai! Par kam se kam duniya ki taareeq yeh to maanegi ki Sikandar ne apne junoon aur dushmani mein duniya fateh  ki, par  uski shikast huyi to dosti ke bulaawe par!  Bade fakr se kehte the, taaqat se maarenge, dhoke se nahin,  par yahan to talwar ki dhaar dhoke ki aag (?) mein paini ki gayi hai. 

Theek hai, Porus, aage badho! Sikandar tumhare saamne nihatta khada hai! 

The nihatta angle was a most telling one,  but I could not for the life of me understand how  Alexander, who sleeps with his sword next to him,  would have gone into enemy territory, even on a friendly invitation, without  his sword at his side for all eventualities. 

The arms akimbo pose was perfect too. One expected him to be unafraid,  but the bright-eyed sarcasm in his face was amazing, and exactly calculated to hit Puru where he is the  most sensitive, his sense of personal honour. 

And Alexander meant what he said, for just as he knows how to conquer, he also knows how to die with his head held high. 

Chanakya's ploy fails: By the way, since when has Chanakya become Puru's Acharya? That was   a neat ploy  to compel Puru's obedience in something he would  otherwise not want to do, but unfortunately it does not work. 

It does not work because Alexander is an expert psychologist,  and he plays on Puru's sense of self esteem, of honour, of moral uprightness. All the virtues, in short, about which Puru has been boasting in front of Alexander as being quintessentially Bharatiya. Which is an assertion that can be easily disproved by citing Ambhiraj, Shivdutt. Kanishka, Dhananand - the list is a long one.  But that is not the point.  

The point is that Puru believes in and is committed to these virtues. So he cannot flout them in the blatant manner that Chanakya demands of him,  and still live with himself.  

So Chanakya's grand scheme fails, for its intended victim, Alexander, understands Porus better than  his self-appointed Acharya does. 

There is no point in reciprocal attacks on Alexander's misdeeds and Porus' failings. The key element here is  that Alexander does not claim to be  mahaan   or in any way virtuous. Porus does, constantly. So he has to be a priori held to a higher standard than Alexander is.  

Porus might not have invited Alexander, but the fact remains that the invitation was in the name of  the Paurav Rashtra, and as the king now, he has to honour it. And to kill someone who has been invited to your home as a guest would go against all that Porus is  committed to, and Alexander does not let him forget that.  

Again, there is  no point in accusing Alexander of hypocrisy. He is, in fact, exactly like Chanakya. He will use any weapon at hand to win, and right now, his weapons,  and very successful ones, were  his tongue, and his grasp of the psychology of his opponent. Using them to excellent effect,  he turns  disaster into victory. 

Episode 158: Set 3: Porus: He laughs best who laughs the last. And last night, that one was Porus. 

Till the moment when Alexander brandished the invitation before his eyes, Porus was perfectly ready to finish off the enemy who he assumed had invaded his domain, not even pausing to realise that Alexander was unarmed. But from that instant, everything changed for him. 

Yes, Alexander's mocking accusations did get through to him and made him all the more conscious of  what he had been about to do. But even without them, Porus,  the   purushottam,  would still have behaved exactly the way he did.  He would not, could not  have killed an unarmed enemy who had come to his palace as an invited guest,  no matter what  aadesh  his current mentor dinned into his ears, no matter that the Acharya,  who had saved his father's life and had been his unwavering support in his recent travails,  was now seriously displeased with  him. 

For he could not help who he was.  Nor could he do something his conscience would not allow. 

Lucid,rational eloquence: I loved it  that Porus refuted Chanakya's increasingly shrill demands not only on grounds of  abstract morality,  but also because of  solidly practical concerns as a king. A king who can forsee the highly negative impact his following such  kootneethi now, for instant victory, would surely  have down the line on the character and behaviour of his  praja.

I loved it that he spiked the master of  sophistry  at his own game,  quoting his own Arthashastra  to remind him of what he had preached: that a people are only as good as their king, and the king is only as good as his country, so that if the people are  brasht, the fault is that of the king, and  if the king turns  adharmi,  the fault would be seen as that of  the whole country. 

Aaj main koyi anarth nahin kar sakta Acharya, nahin to laanchan mere poore desh  par aayega, aur wo mujhse sahan nahin hoga.  Jahan chal hota hai, wahan bal ghat jaata  hai, Acharya...And in a blunt  response to Chanakya's warning that excessive  emotionalism would destroy his vivek, Main sajj hoon aise vivek ko naash karne ke  liye jo mere desh ke samman ko maarta ho.. 

NB: It is another matter altogether that the Arthashastra, as far as I am aware,  was written during the  14 years after the coronation of Chandragupta Maurya, when Chanakya had retired to his ashram after handing over the reins of the prime ministership to Amatya Katyayan aka Amatya Rakshas. How then could Puru have got hold of it this early? Par hamare CVs se aise sawaal poochna vyarth hai! 

Porus is so sure of his ground that he is unaffected by Chanakya's grim warning:  Ho sakta hai ki agla avasar tumhare paksh mein na ho.  Even were he to lose his next battle, he  is confident (in  a strange echo of Alexander's similar conviction about his own reputation ) that  itihaas yaad rakhega ki Bharat ke is laal ne apni mathrubhoomi ki laaj  ke saath nahin khela.

Duel of convictions:  The most gripping of all was the  duel of convictions between Porus and Chanakya that comes when the Acharya crowds  the younger  man aggressively, trying  to bulldoze him  into falling in line and killing Alexander. 

To Chanakya's  apocalyptic warning that he was committing  a bahut badi bhool,  Porus responds,  in a gentle put down, that  bhool bhulaye jaate hain, apradh itihaas ban jaate hain.. For Porus, to  have it said that humne ek shatru ko mitra ke bahane bulaya, aur phir  apni hi dharti par uska sar kaat diya, would be intolerable. 

When Chanakya cites the use  of  saam, daan, dand, bhed  to get rid of the enemy as rajaneeti,  Porus counters that  rashtra ke gaurav ki raksha karna rajadharma hai. 

When challenged with the dictum that  rashtra ki raksha sabe se bada rajadharm hai, Porus'  counter is a classic that stops Chanakya in  his  tracks with a simple question:  Aur kya hai rashtra, Acharya? 

For him, a rashtra  is not  just the land he rules over, it is the sanskaar,  parampara, sanskriti , that is to say the traditions, the culture, that define the people.  And so he asserts once more, with ironclad conviction:  Chal karna  Bharat ke sanskar nahin.   Gher ke aakraman karna to siyaaron ki parampara hai, Acharya, Bharat ke  sheron ki nahin! 

And this one time, I did not feel exasperated by this endless praise of Bharatiyata, whereas the truth is that it is Porus' own convictions and his personal morality that dictate his unshakeable code of honour. It was necessary, at this juncture, to bring in Bharat,  and what Porus  sees as owed to the honour of the  land, in order to silence the aggressive, infuriated Chanakya. 

Deadly putdown: But Chanakya, unused to such opposition, will not back off, and  now accuses Porus of having become too big for his boots because he is now a king,   and of forgetting  whose  orders he was flouting, and in whose presence he stood. It is then that Porus crosses the Rubicon, so to speak, and brings home to the Acharya,  whom he has revered thus  far, that he is being untrue to his own convictions. 

His Nahin samajh paa raha hoon ki aap kaun hain, aur aapki pehchaan kya hai, is the most deadly putdown of anyone of that stature that I  have come across for ages. 

When he ends by   wondering   Ya phir aap wo kootneetignya Kautilya hain, jo apne hi desh ke maathe par chal ka daag lagana chahte hain?,  Chanakya's face is livid and ashen with barely suppressed  fury. He knows that it is  he who has  pushed Porus too far, but that is of no comfort to him.  

Then comes the Arthashastra  sequence that has already been discussed, and which writes  Finis to this  duel of convictions, especially when Porus' parents, and the assemblage, cheer him unreservedly.  And Chanakya is left tearing his shikha,  and lamenting that this temporary  shishya  of his is  nowhere near as obedient  as Chandragupta Maurya.πŸ˜‰

I know that there would be those who  feel that Porus went too far, that he crossed the limits of maryada in the way in which he countered Chanakya. I am not of this mind. I don't think he said anything inappropriate,  except that one line where he says that the  kutilneetigya Kautilya had wanted to put a black mark on the forehead of Bharat.  

That was too much, and I can see why Surbhi is upset. But for the  rest, seeing that Chanakya had pushed  Porus   into the kind of position where, if  he did what the Acharya wanted,  he would no longer be able to live with himself, I do not feel that  he said anything that was unnecessary or arrogant.

Come down for Chanakya: But one thing is for sure. The Porus CVs, who are usually busy putting Alexander down, have now done a hatchet job on Chanakya himself.  I doubt if this will go down well with most viewers, though I did not mind it. For the  average Indian TV viewer, Acharya devo bhava, and when the Acharya happens to be Chanakya, doubly so. They won't like seeing Chanakya lowered in order to elevate Porus who is, all said and done, only a vaguely known personality for  most of them. 

Porus and Alexander:  The air  crackled with electricity at the very end,as Alexander finally departed. It was not  just the  spat about who  was the lion of which jungle,  but even the exchange of  rings, and the way in which each held the other's hand while doing so,  became a  subtle game of one upmanship.

Earlier, Alexander  seemed to have no problem with literally  looking up to Porus, and he  stood in a graceful relaxed pose, hands crossed behind his back. And yes,  he did punctiliously  address Porus as the Shah-e-Paurav. Neat touch, that!

Unexpected realization: I was looking for some clear evidence of a change, however oblique, of mindset in Alexander, but  I could not find it. Perhaps it is too early for that.

It must have come as a shock to him to realise that Porus, whom he had till now seen as spouting a lot of hot air about what Bharatiyata meant, was actually  living by those selfsame convictions, to the point  of giving up  an assured victory over a world conqueror, and  peace for his people,  because it did not fit in with his code of honour and the traditions of his land as he perceived them.

It will take Alexander  a while to digest all this, and a bit more to formulate his reaction to it. But  till then, this  unexpected realization will  haunt him, nagging away at the edges of his mind, and forcing him , perhaps,  to  reconsider what Porus had been to him, and what he could be. 

For there has to be some substantial evolution in this relationship for the two to have become  not just friends but, as our President said the other day, allies after the battle  of the Hydaspes.

Right now, as for Alexander identifying with things that Porus said, I felt rather  that he identified with many  of the explanations for the  rajyabhishek ceremony given by  Chanakya. He was nodding his head in agreement time and again, and his eyes showed both keen interest and  admiration.

Coming to what Porus  said, one could take  chal to mean not just deceit but also betrayal, and  Porus' strong disapproval of  chal  should have struck a responsive chord in Alexander, whose hatred of deceit is violent. 

There was nothing stated about friendship per se,  except for that one reference to  being as sweet in friendship as a mango (Laksh needs to work on  his Sanskrit diction. I could hardly make anything out there!πŸ˜‰ ).  Porus states   that Alexander came there as a friend. Alexander says that he was invited in dosti,  and that is also what Porus assumes  after being shown the invitation. 

But if this is what the CVs wanted to convey, they should   not have made  Alexander  babble earlier about the  kata hua sar   of the Paurav king. They don't seem to be in the least bothered about continuity or coherence😑. 

Finally, though no one here seems to have remarked on it as yet, we already had the immortal line Wohi jo  ek raja ko ek raja ke saath karna chahiya. So the end game is clear, and  Porus will, it now seems  - by coupling this with Chanakya's warning that the  next time might not be favourable for him -  repeat the same line to  Alexander very soon. 

It looks like the battle of  the Hydaspes, and the end game, are both near at hand. 

Questions galore!:

- I could not understand what  Alexander said about his now acknowledging that his  muqaddar  would not being complete till he had defeated Porus, and how that jelled with what he said  earlier in the same passage  about  having always contradicted his mother and asserted that main apna muqaddar khudh likhta hoon. I presume  it was about Olympias believing the High Priestess  about Porus changing his muqaddar. 

- Nor could I understand what Porus said about having had several opportunities to kill Alexander between Persia and the explosion on the bridge. One could perhaps  count two: the time he held a  sword to his throat, and then when he was atop  the elephant and Alexander was on the ground, when he could have trampled him afoot. But how do two opportunities add up to several? Note that he does not include the present one. 

As he was making these assertions, Alexander's eyes, and the  corner of  his mouth, were crinkled in what looked almost like amusement.

-Then I could not understand from  where, and when, Alexander got hold of the scroll of invitation. It was Chanakya who collected it from the admissions  guard at the entry point, and Alexander was not shown asking  for  it after that, but he  produced it with all the aplomb of  a magician pulling  a rabbit out  of his hat,πŸ˜‰ just in the nick of time! And he had nothing in his hands all this while.

-But what I could not understand at all was 

a) how Chanakya made all the military deployments to keep Alexander  in check, including the by now standard issue archers, bows bent and at the ready,  without either Bamni or Puru knowing anything about it, and 

b) what on earth Hephaestion and Cleitus were doing standing there like lamp posts when Alexander was facing imminent death.😑 They did try to draw their swords when Chanakya accuses Alexander of killing his father to get to the throne, but later they seemed to have been affected  by a whole body paralysis.  One would have expected them to rush to shield him, and to fight and die at his side, the Paurav archers notwithstanding. Very strange! 

Phew! Well, I did try to keep it short, and it is not my fault that there was so much material! πŸ˜† Those who have made it to this point, if you are so  inclined, please do press the Like  button.

Shyamala Aunty/Di

Edited by sashashyam - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Fruitcustard_9 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
nice post di 

reserve
sashashyam thumbnail
You, my dear,  must be  a speed reader! And where is your Like??πŸ˜‰

Shyamala Di

luckySnow thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Brilliant as always...loved Chankya part
sashashyam thumbnail
Thank you! I am glad you were able to go thru such a long post and emerge in good shape!πŸ˜‰

Yes, I too  liked the Chanakya part, and I did not like him being pulled down like this. That was why I put in that caveat about the Sony Chanakya. The real one would never have landed himself in this situation.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: luckySnow

Brilliant as always...loved Chankya part

luckySnow thumbnail

Originally posted by: sashashyam

Thank you! I am glad you were able to go thru such a long post and emerge in good shape!πŸ˜‰

Yes, I too  liked the Chanakya part, and I did not like him being pulled down like this. That was why I put in that caveat about the Sony Chanakya. The real one would never have landed himself in this situation.

Shyamala Aunty

Chankya was always like this...he used same cheating tactics against dhanaanad also...he is father of vishkanyasπŸ˜† not shivdutt
sashashyam thumbnail
 Not the cheating part . I meant that he would  not have got caught and exposed so badly.

Originally posted by: luckySnow

Chankya was always like this...he used same cheating tactics against dhanaanad also...he is father of vishkanyasπŸ˜† not shivdutt

luckySnow thumbnail

Originally posted by: sashashyam

Not the cheating part . I meant that he would  not have got caught and exposed so badly.

My dear then you don't know about Chankya πŸ˜† he was caught few time by bhadrashall and amatya rakshash but somehow escaped πŸ˜³
sashashyam thumbnail
Well, if he escaped, he was not caught, was he? πŸ˜†

Of course when you play such dangerous games, sometimes s ome things are bound to go wrong. And in the end game, it was Chanakya who foxed Amatya Rakshas and destroyed Bhadrasaal.

Shyamala Aunty

My dear then you don't know about Chankya πŸ˜† he was caught few time by bhadrashall and amatya rakshash but somehow escaped πŸ˜³
Edited by sashashyam - 5 years ago
EtherealRati thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

His Nahin samajh paa raha hoon ki aap kaun hain, aur aapki pehchaan kya hai, is the most deadly putdown of anyone of that stature that I  have come across for ages. 

When he ends by   wondering   Ya phir aap wo kootneetignya Kautilya hain, jo apne hi desh ke maathe par chal ka daag lagana chahte hain?     @shyamala di -  These two sentences just spoiled everything for me in yesterday's episode...i can understand porus mindset and his sticking to the thing that he will not killl alexander like that...got him on that...his dialougues were good tooo...his explaining was to the point...but yeh upar ki lines usse nahi kehni thi...kyonki jis bhartiya sanskriti ki woh baat kar raha tha...usmein apne acharya se is tarah se baat karne ki izazat bhi nahi hain...there are ways to deliever a message and porus choosed a quiet wrong way. Kis se baat kar raha tha woh...shayad woh yeh bhool hi gaya tha. Moreover not just he insulted chanakya...he insulted him in front of his enemy alexander...which was even more wrong. I will return to this post ...quiet a things in mind. Will add my comments on other things in some time. I saw you did understood my point yesterday only...yes i was upset because of this. 

1 2 3
Next