Bepannah, My thoughts, Sherran wali maa

Hamlet53 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Bepannah~ My thoughts ~ep 56. 4.6.18  Sheeran wali maa!  

The episode is a potent symbolic representation of the multi- limbed mother goddess, protector of the universe Durga. Being multi- limbed is to sense and combat evil coming from many directions. The mother goddess acts as a defensive shield for the virtuous, against demonic principalities. She is known, to ride either a lion or a tiger.The tiger carrier presence,  epitomizes the fierce Durga side of the devi, where she battles ferociously and fearlessly against all evil that creates disorder in the harmonious sources of the universe.

Zoya, to me, appears as the very personification of Durga herself. Durga's name also means, shakti or strength. It would be right to maintain, that during instances in the episode , she clearly ends up being Aditya's shakti , during their interaction.

As destined Aditya and Zoya, flee from the viciousness of the civilized world ,right into the wild, raw ,yet free from the two faced hypocrisy  of the inner city.  It's the wild, woods that embrace them, with a promise of temporary respite from falsity of the outside. The law of the jungle is the survival of the fittest. No different from whence Adi and Zoya come from. However the fear of the unknown still remains. Camouflage in the jungle too is not out of place. Here it's to protect themselves against animals. Being on the run takes away  the freedom of enjoying space around them. Both have to ensure they are not too conspicuous, rather blend in with the surroundings to avoid recognition!

Durga's name also means, fortress.. strong, invincible, militant and hard to  pull down. In the jungle , Zoya will be like a fortified fortress  for Adi.. where he battles his own demons, of   bitterness against Pooja, Yash... against himself for being easily and utterly be-fooled all these years..

Its no surprise the woods are part of a place called Badlapur on the outskirts of the metropolis Mumbai .. badla in Urdu means revenge! Here again Adis revenge is against himself.. since Pooja is out of his reach. Zoya offers him protection against the malice.  Like Durga she shields and fights the demons he faces.. of preventing him of letting  go of the past. Of giving up the right to be angry. To forgive and forget. He has to let go of this vendetta against his spirit.

Outside the jungle, in the city jungle, the righteous are interrogated, intimidated to , side  and connive with evil. Zosh interns withstand the strain of refusing to forfeit their loyalty for Adi and Zoya. Both their combined good turns of keeping good of others first, wins them the favour of the Zosh work force.

The evil force suffers a set back. But continues to collect more evidence to persecute  the righteous , Adi and Zoya. Rajveer wants next to tap all incoming calls to the Hooda house landlines.

Like his daughter is confined to the wild. Bound , yet free within the boundaries of the jungle law! In Mussouri, Waseem is hunted and ripped to pieces! by the cruel, hungry hyenas of the press outside his front door! He seeks refuge from them , by shutting himself from the rancorous, questions and speculations about Zoya's virtue. Where can an honourable father hide now? in a way this attack from the press is beneficial.. his heart softens, as he now worries about the safety of his daughters only! Hard earned respectability takes second place..  

The forces of virtue too come into action, to defend Adi and Zoya. Arjun makes himself useful.. collects statutory material towards obtaining anticipatory bail.. all to thwart Rajveer's methods.

Even in the jungle, both Zoya and Aditya think about their families. Adi keeps building Zoya's hope, by referring to his father sorting things out by day break when he reaches Mumbai. But in their lives things are yet to happen , in the jungle setting, away from the rest of the contrived civilization.

The growl ..alarms Zoya ,but Adi relaxes her ..wild beasts would not inhabit this close to humans area.. the tiger is for real, so is its, growl! It's the moment of willing suspension of disbelief for viewers . Once again Zoya assumes the embodiment of Durga in the jungle.. becomes the fort of militant protection for Adi and herself! Durga's statue shows the goddess raising one of fingers as a fore warning to the demon to depart!  Zoya presses the light on Adi's phone and shines it in the tiger's eyes!! It's a battle of supremacy! The tiger submits and we see the fierce animal retract its steps! Likewise, Zoya will continue to act as Adi's shield, in  times of danger! As he protects her!  Mind you  the  CV's add logic to this daring scene.. when Zoya humbly tells Adi.. living in Missouri  they were used to carnivores and their father taught them simple tricks to ward off the animals!    

Zoya  assumes the role of Durga where the goddess is, also  known as one who also eliminates sufferings.. when she trips, and Adi supports her.The  bleeding  scrape on his arm catches her attention!! Once again, something her father taught her, the use of primitive method of treatment offered by nature, uses leaves with healing properties! This is far cry from the winsome, fragile princess Zoya! this was the protective, nurturing, calming embodiment of the mother goddess! The interaction between the patient and the healer are gentle, pure and sincere..

The bandage made out of Pooja's chunni, veil is to sooth Aditya's pain of Pooja's betrayal.. his bled represents how the lacerations of his heart still fester. She protects his spirit from the long term gangrene of betrayal.. in fact they both draw healing from each other.

The jungle experience. The sense of being exposed yet again to a different, primitive danger this time. Certainly gels them together. With ease Adi and Zoya are able to talk about matters of mutual interest. Their dead partners Pooja and Yash too. With bitterness set aside, both are able to talk about things uncommon between them and their partners. Soon both Zoya and Adi will begin to realize that their unfussy dissimilarities with their dead partners, point to strong similarities between themselves!

The jungle adventure would be incomplete with the humble, uninhabited hut in the middle of nowhere! Both have the chance to cross limits of decency. But both honour each others presence. They unknowingly strive to heal their souls. Receive and give solace to each other. Quench their thirst of having a meaningful soul searching discussion. Its poignant when Zoya comments in the humble refuge, that humans are the worst predators prowling around !in comparison to animals. As animals tend to hunt, attack and kill for  food! Or when faced by danger. But human's are cruel, malicious, ruthless ready to cross all boundaries, hunt ,attack and finish of others especially the innocent for their selfish gains and ulterior motives!

Noor is allowed back into Arora house, so Madhu can use Noor's phone to have cruel unkind words against Zoya, with Waseem. Madhu gives him an earful and blames his daughter for seeking revenge on her son Yash! Madhu bad mouths Noor and truly speaks like  Mahi's mother now! poor Noor defends her sister but to no avail..    

I think Zoya's biggest winner was, when she senses , Adi gradually lets go of bitterness, and instead allows some form of forgiveness for Pooja ,and in the process  takes a small  step towards redeeming his soul as well.

Somehow this night Zoya  and Adi both end up nearly camping and nearly under the stars. In their souls there is no offence, instead an unexplained composure. Each to each, but not alone. Together they protect, defend, support and  fight for each others rights. Both  know they are not guilty of killing their cheating partners. The divinities above, smile at these  two chaste  souls who honour and respect each other. Durga stays awake briefly.. her consort Shiva.. gives her hope, a new dawn breaks through.. hamlet53 5.6a.18

Profound episode.. pardon me readers if my knowledge of Hindu mythology and scriptures is incorrect or not up to the mark.. do correct me by all means.. love hammie

Edited by Hamlet53 - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DreamOfEndless thumbnail
Dear Hammie,

Remarkable writing. πŸ‘

I remember discussing Sherawali Maa in the earlier thread, but the way you described it and the correlation of the Goddess and fortress is simply amazing.

The episode was equally beautiful; Zoya clad in Pooja's outfit yet again, Adi and Zoya talking about their late spouses, AdiYa sort of camping and sighting the moon. From each other's hamdard, they are slowly becoming each other's healer and protector.

BTW, is full moon spotted in the sky during the month of Ramzan? I don't know much, but I think it was a blooper. Finding hut in the jungle was a bit cliche, I thought they would climb trees. πŸ˜›

Nevertheless, loved the episode and impressed by your writing. Keep posting. πŸ€—

- Tia

Edited by dreamy.tiara - 5 years ago
NusiSg thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
UnRes.. ur vry first symbolism of goddess blown me away hammie.. ur magic..
Ill be back>> me backπŸ˜†

OMG hammie u outclasss ur writings in ths one,,, absolutely amazing.. from title till the last few lines,, u were fab hammie,,
few instances in ths post hav literally gven me goosepumps,,😳 ur symbolism of Durga for zoya, n Shiva for Aditya gves me an absolute pleasure reading ths..πŸ˜ƒ

wen i watched tiger in the epi i was only excited abt ur perspective on ths,, n u were on my mind & believe me Im not at all disappointed hw u ve explained Zoya's part in rescuing Aditya ths time..😳 indeed Zoya hav shown us hw she is equally his pillar,,😳 Aditya & Zoya's jungle journey are going to make them one?? at least i can feel hw they ve realised by now that they weren't meant for theit respective partners,, how they both pooja & yash were apt for each other,,?? & hw both Zoya & Aditya(Durga & Shiva in ur words)😳 might be great for each other together!!!???πŸ˜† hw they both are ridiculously similar in minor details gve me a great pleasure smh..πŸ˜†

hammie ur awsome.. do u kno that,, n ur marvellous posts gves me immense pleasure Im following ths extraordinary journey of Adi & zoya & im seeing them thru ur eyes.. πŸ˜³ luv & hugs!!
Edited by NusiSg - 5 years ago
T4Thahaanfan thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Oh, Hamlet! You do honour your origins! Such a profound analysis only a Shakespearean could have come up with. When will you go for your PhD on Bepanah? πŸ˜†
But jokes apart: the way the writer gave Zoya a true heroine part this time - helping and protecting Aditya - was awesome. That's the kind of girl we would want to see more often - no? πŸ‘
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Hammie first a big thank u to covering durga part beautifully. I have also put a post on the same do check out. But couldn't go into detailing because I am typing from mobile and it is difficult to write lengthy analysis. Couple of things I wanted to add. Yesterday we come to know that adi had also made special things for pooja just like that Salwar.but she had disliked it. When someone gifts u something it is the emotion attached with it that matters. So when we say adi didn't understand pooja emotion, pooja too didn't understand adi emotion. Zoya accepts that simple dress. She says sorry when she had to tear that dupatta as she feels it might be special to him. It is also symbolic of durga. She accepts ur offering not based on what you give but how you give. And whatever u give she uses the same thing to remove ur pain. So it symbolically represents if u want to remove pain learn to give something dear to u. Adi had actually given zoya something that is of quite importance to him emotionally. One more side of durga is there. The destructive side. This side she will give to adi for him to use the way he wants and he will give her his power.in a nutshell their powers will merge for something spectacular. The concept of ardhanareeshwara. Edited by shruthiravi - 5 years ago
DreamOfEndless thumbnail
Dear Hammie,

How is your fever? I hope your allergy has subsided. Take care of your health.
And unresed above. :)

- Tia
Hamlet53 thumbnail

Originally posted by: dreamy.tiara

Dear Hammie,
helooo Tia.. got here eventually..πŸ˜›

Remarkable writing. πŸ‘
have to say it was a profound episode.
I remember discussing Sherawali Maa in the earlier thread, but the way you described it and the correlation of the Goddess and fortress is simply amazing.
its based on knowledge gathered from my Gujerati mates  here.. besides festival, and coverage of key deities is a big thing here.. Durga.. has multiple manifestations, like other divinities in Hinduism..quite similar to the holy trinity in Christianity. The mother figure is a universally  much loved concept.. hence Maata rani covered in IT and film is close to my heart too.  Mother figure is protective of her child..animal or human.. its a natural instinct..
The episode was equally beautiful; Zoya clad in Pooja's outfit yet again, Adi and Zoya talking about their late spouses, AdiYa sort of camping and sighting the moon. From each other's hamdard, they are slowly becoming each other's healer and protector.
well done for pointing out the attire.. shalwar kameez chunni.. my national costume!  Zoya dressed in Pooja's kapre.. make sense.. she couldn't have runaway in dulhan kapre.. so since she was in Adi's room.. only stands to reason he must have given her.. his dead wife's clothes.. pooja, was not fond of the attire..as she usually wore graceful ,sareesπŸ˜›.. 
BTW, is full moon spotted in the sky during the month of Ramzan? I don't know much, but I think it was a blooper. Finding hut in the jungle was a bit cliche, I thought they would climb trees. πŸ˜›
yes..  Ramazan  and Eid ul Fitr is based on Islamic calendar and the sightings of the moon.. lunar cycle being 29/30 days.. so phele roza is based on sighting the hilal or crescent.. and fasting continues till  the sighting of the full moon... cv's are clearly following their own calendar.. as opposed to what's happening to date.. zoya's namaz.. or prayers, I  suspect is Sehr.. early morning before the sun rises... beginning of fast.. and Rajveer.. forces his entry into the hut!   the earlier the better.. before they escape to contact Harsh..
yes.. the shack in the woods.. was a clich.. saw it in Laagi..   I would have liked if they hid in branches of trees.. like Primates...πŸ˜›   has its pros and cons.. could serve as a watch tower for approaching danger... but tigers.. in one leap can climb trees like cats!! I should know.. have a pet cat in the family.. my cuz has..for his wife and 4 and  1 yr olds..
Nevertheless, loved the episode and impressed by your writing. Keep posting. πŸ€—
thanks for reading Tia.. always wait for your feedback.. hum got your last post too..πŸ˜†... much love hammie

- Tia

Hamlet53 thumbnail

Originally posted by: NusiSg

Res.. ur vry first symbolism of goddess blown me off hammie.. ur magic..

Ill be back

hellooo Nusi...πŸ˜ƒ  roze mein mere liye bhi dua mangna.. I may learn perseverance..πŸ˜›    haan ,  you know how me is in all in awe  of larger than life figures.. Durga always fascinates me... chaal me will wait for your reply... much love hammie
Hamlet53 thumbnail
helloo T4Thahaanfan πŸ˜ƒ,welcome to Bepannah and my thoughts..
Oh, Hamlet! You do honour your origins! Such a profound analysis only a Shakespearean could have come up with. When will you go for your PhD on Bepanah? πŸ˜†... my origin...πŸ˜› hainnn? ohhh my name...  Hamlet the tragic/anti hero in any shape of form has to be my most loved fictitious character.. Bepannah.. with its complex protagonists go straight to my heart!!
But jokes apart: the way the writer gave Zoya a true heroine part this time - helping and protecting Aditya - was awesome. That's the kind of girl we would want to see more often - no? πŸ‘
yes... for sure agree with you.. new age empowering woman.. digging her heels in  a patriarchal society.. mind you its was not much different as history shows.. but  now there is more awareness of equal opportunities.. so yes me is loving the intrepid Zoya .. lovely to hear from you.. do read and comment again.. much love hammie

Hamlet53 thumbnail
helooo Shruthi..πŸ˜ƒ was looking forward to your comment..  like always
Hammie first a big thank u to covering durga part beautifully. I have also put a post on the same do check out. But couldn't go into detailing because I am typing from mobile and it is difficult to write lengthy analysis.
oh your post is what I rushed too ,as soon as I logged in.. regards your posts.. for me,they are concise and profound.. I always get what I am looking for..😊
 Couple of things I wanted to add. Yesterday we come to know that adi had also made special things for pooja just like that Salwar.but she had disliked it. When someone gifts u something it is the emotion attached with it that matters. So when we say adi didn't understand pooja emotion, pooja too didn't understand adi emotion. 
great point... said a lot about  how she felt.. she I think preferred saris.. still  she failed to understand that, it was his wish to see her, in a attire he  equated with his favourite film... little things yet.. very revealing about how two people interact in a close bond like marriage..
Zoya accepts that simple dress. She says sorry when she had to tear that dupatta as she feels it might be special to him. It is also symbolic of durga. She accepts ur offering not based on what you give but how you give.
true... not the gift ,offering but the sincerity and devotion of the giver..
 And whatever u give she uses the same thing to remove ur pain. So it symbolically represents if u want to remove pain learn to give something dear to u. Adi had actually given zoya something that is of quite importance to him emotionally. One more side of durga is there. The destructive side. This side she will give to adi for him to use the way he wants and he will give her his power.in a nutshell their powers will merge for something spectacular. The concept of ardhanareeshwara. 
 see love the bit where one learns to give up some , dear to them.. like during fasting.. believers give up..the urge to eat and drink...   loved your feedback.. especially the final bit.. code of human ethics.. give  in order to receive ... thanks and much love hammir