A Paradoxical Tragedy: A One Shot

Ramya_98 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 6 years ago

Hello there! I'm back with an OS, a Science fiction if I may say so, based on what we call Paradox.

A Paradoxical Tragedy

The marker fell to the ground as elation outweighed exhaustion. Eric had done it at last; he had invented travelling through what HG Wells called the fourth dimension in his novel, time! He was as overwhelmed with the discovery as Archimedes yet he wasn't as emotionally vulnerable as him to run down the streets in a bath robe, yelling eureka. He stared at the formula on the board again and again, waltzing like a lunatic.

Once his system had digested the fact that he had made it, he was left wondering what he should do with it. He obviously had to get it patented in his name before letting the world's taste buds feel the 'ideal' and almost hypothetical things it could do but he also had to test it, he also had to do something for himself for humans are known to be self-centered first and everything else thereafter. 

Almost immediately, his brain gave him just the thing he wanted. He remembered his dad, who always occupied the back of his mind, and all he had been through. His mom had left them when he was only 3 because his dad had caught her red-handed, cheating on him with the janitor, the woman who didn't deserve to be called mom and his thyroid gland held a constant hatred for. His dad had always been an extremely unlucky man, not that he believed in luck but that man's case was a different one. He was reminded of how his dad told him about his college-time sweetheart he was going to get married to, one fateful evening.

"She was the most charming and gentle-hearted girl I have ever had the good fortune of knowing", he had said.

But she stood him up out of her insecurities since they were both young and he so wished she hadn't. Characteristically, systematic study, also referred to as science makes us think of ourselves as the almighty and that happening to him as well wasn't too unusual. He imagined that woman would make an amazing mom and would give his dad all the contentment he deserved. He wanted that moment to fulfil his dad's wish, he wanted to do whatever he could to make him happy even if that meant violating the laws of nature and physics. Having decided that, he walked towards the bathroom to take a shower. He hadn't groomed himself in days and he surely wasn't going to attend his dad's wedding dressed as shabbily and looking as grotesque as that, he was undeniably a maniac but not that insensible.

After he had freshened up and had gotten dressed in a suave suit, he looked into the plain mirror on his wardrobe door and once he was satisfied, he turned his attention towards the watch placed on the dining table. Grabbing it, he hurriedly entered the formula along with the date and time he wanted to go to, into it, grinning gleefully and as soon as he was done, the hands of the watch started going back, ungovernably. It was almost like a magnetic needle getting deflected on encountering a strong magnetic field.

The next instant, a little black hole sort of thing appeared right in front of him, the interior of which was incessantly spinning like a Newton's wheel in anti-clockwise direction and he was pulled into it with such an enormous amount of force that he was glad he hadn't clung to the fridge for support or else he would have pulled it in too, in the process. Inside the hole, he started falling down but it wasn't gravity at play for the acceleration was so large that it could be easily equated to infinity and his brow felt it could no longer bear the individual weights of his forebrain, midbrain and hindbrain separately, ruling out the possibility of all of it put together that it was still keeping intact and all of his blood ran into his legs. Within what seemed like a few seconds, he landed smoothly on the grass and was catching up on his breath. 

Right after he had begun feeling a bit relieved, he got up, dusted his suit and looked around himself, soon surmising he was in a church compound. Yes, he was there, his experiment had been successful, he couldn't help feeling ecstatic. His mind was corrupted with the achievement but he could bet he heard sobs, most probably those of a woman. He looked around and 'finally' spotted her sitting in a corner after a minute-long search that was concisely suggestive of his impatience. He noticed that the woman was in a wedding gown. Was this the one he was searching for?

"Good evening!", he walked up to her and greeted.

"Good evening!", she looked up and answered, revealing it to him that she was beautiful.

"Why are you crying, kind lady?", he inquired although he kinda knew what she was about to say but didn't want to take a chance.

"I'm getting married to the man I love, today!", she exclaimed, sniffing.

"Wow, isn't that great?", Eric asked, rolling his eyes.

"It is but don't you think I'm too young to get married? I want to be a free bird and live to see my dreams come true...", she replied, gloomily.

"But you love your fiance, don't you? Don't you think he would let you do whatever you please?"

"I think he would...", she responded, thoughtfully.

"You should marry him while there still is time because time is something that just flies by and you wouldn't even know where it's taking you.", he declared despite having come back in time himself, "Just get married to him already while the love is still alive and if he loves you back, he won't ever let you down or question your dreams. In fact, you'll have someone by your side to support and foster them."

"Perhaps you're right, I should go!", she seemed resolute "Gentleman if you'd excuse me, I don't want to be late for my own wedding! However, I must invite you to it because if it is happening, it's all because of you. ", she smiled sheepishly.

"I'll certainly come., he smiled back", you take the lead and I'll follow.

Of course he'd go, that was the whole point of it. He was there to ensure that his dad would marry the woman he loved and have a 'happily ever after' as fairy tales put it. As he saw her run into the church, he was beaming with pride. He laughed hysterically as if he had caught the smell of nitrous oxide. It felt amazing, probably not as amazing as it felt when he invented the watch he was wearing but it was amazing nevertheless. He had done it, he had granted the boon his father had always asked God for and he was so glad that wretched mother of his would never enter their lives now.

"She was never worthy of being my dad's wife! Let her never find any peace!", he concluded and wished with an angry laugh before pulling out a family photograph capturing him with his parents when he was 2 and eyeing it wickedly. He pulled out a cigarette lighter next and pushed it to heat up the photo to its ignition temperature and set it aflame.

What happened next was inexplicable. The woman that had just left for her big day replaced his mom in the photo and his image, it looked like it got dissolved into the colourless, odourless mixture of gases that organisms inhale to maintain the supply of oxygen in their blood and vanished, making his jaw drop. His attention was soon drawn towards a storm gathering dust at a distance, making a menacing noise. Horror of horrors, it was coming towards him, no, it was coming for him. He saw what they called death in layman terms and in scientific ones a state where all the vital organs stop working and in the absence of food, water and oxygen the body starts decaying, approaching.

~

Edited by .moonglade. - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Awesome OS Ramya😊
I always love to read science fiction stories⭐️
Edited by Nonie12345 - 6 years ago
Dreamer3003 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Fantastic one shot👏
Well written👏
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Wow! That was so amazing! You got me with the speed there! :D
Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Whoa! That was something!
The time travel was awesome, specially the precise description which no one gives frequently 😆
I liked the technicalities of this! Wait, I loved them!

And the end, you know what, I was just thinking about this. When the Mom changed, how can the boy live on. And it happened! And the formula's gone too. What a witty way to knit things!

WOW!

You're a GENIUS.
Ramya_98 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
^It's not entirely my idea. I got inspired by an article I read about paradoxes. 😳
Viswasruti thumbnail

Ramya, it's a well written speculative science fiction, beautifully dealt with your imaginative concept of futuristic science and technology, the time travel! Very interesting, esp your usage of appropriate scientific terminology while narrating the story,  loved this literary work of innovative ideas!!😊

The setting was wonderful , a family based story line ,with a  considerable degree of suspense and   wonder, which was facilitated in the reader's mind by your  amazing  scientific explanations to  add some reality to this  fictional element.  

Frosty_Moon thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
awesome shot ramya
time travel amazing
👏
Riya_16 thumbnail
Wow Rammy... 🤗
I often find myself speechless whilst reading your work. The feeling that you're immensely talented and gifted for a girl of nineteen is very gratifying. Very well written Rammy and goes beyond saying that I loved it

Love
Didu