LS : The Jigsaw Puzzle/ Updated Chapter Six

Penkie06 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 years ago
Here I'm with a story I'm actually updating on Sensational South Forum, but thought of reposting it here only as a story and not as a fan fiction. If someone loves reading, do drop your comments. I will update here too if I update the story there, even if people don't actually like reading here.
+++++

Chapter One

Joy sat on his knees checking pulse. A faint thump hit his fingers. Very faint. He then slowly placed his head on the chest. Yes, another faint beep.

The narrow downroad was completely empty. Joy looked up. The steep mountains housed roads on which traversed cars. He was sure of this being an accident. But the car or...or driver or stuffs...were nowhere to be seen. He slowly got up and walked to the edge of the road which was barely fenced. World's deepest cliffs stared back from beneath covered with deep green. If the car had rolled down from above into those forests, its invisibility was quite explainable. 

Joy returned and sat again. Water, he thought. He looked around and then remembered something. He quickly walked up to the nearest bend and found the tubewell. He pumped out some water and, filled an empty discarded bottle lying nearby. He returned and sprinkled droplets on the face. 
After quite a number of sprinklings, a pair of deep set eyes stared back.

Anushka lay on bed, staring at the wooden ceiling which was almost ten feet above her head. She tried to look sideways. "Aaahh!" , she automatically wailed as her shoulders hurt a lot..
She then rather examined her body carefully. Both the arms were immensely bandaged. Blood showed through the elbow. And her right leg was plastered. 
She felt extremely uncomfortable, sat up slowly and painfully, and rested her head on the backrest of the bed closing her eyes tight, trying to remember nothing. 

The door which was half closed, suddenly opened with a cracking sound, and the man who had brought her here on his arms, walked in with a glass of something. 
Anushka stirred, and hardly knew what to say or do. The man smiled, and placed the glass on the bedside table. Through the corner of her eyes Anushka knew it was milk. She hated milk. 
The man next sat on the immense wooden chair placed just beside the bed. Anushka had already noticed, the room housed an enormous bed on which she lay, a chair beside that along with a bedside table, an almirah, and a dressing table, all of antique pattern, and there was an immense window which showed the lush green Himalayas. But Anushka hardly looked at the window. Despite the antiquities the room looked old and worn out too. 

" I'm Joy. Joy Montgomery. " , the man talked. 

Anushka hesitatingly stared at him with wide eyes. She had immediately known this man to be dependable, when he had sprinkled water on her face, and given her his hands, and when she couldn't get up, had carried her blood laden body to this house on his arms.. 

The doctor had almost immediately arrived, and while Anushka lay stiff on bed, he relieved her pain, dressed and plastered her. The doctor had only smiled, hadn't at all talked but had looked at Joy and said, " Don't worry. Your sister will be fine within days.. no major injuries, only a hair crack down the ankle. " 

"...Anushka. Anushka Sarkar. ", she slowly uttered. 

" No. Shelly Montgomery. " , Joy walked up to the window and carefully drove aside the already driven curtains, enabling more light to enter the room.

Anushka looked away with her brows a bit squeezed. Shelly Montgomery? 

" You are my cousin sister. Do you know what this place is?" 

Anushka stared at him. " De...Dehradun..." 

" Uhu. Dehradun is 600 feet above. This is a small village in the lap of the Himalayas. Rungpo. If you were on the road just above . .still you have fallen almost a hundred feet. " 
An immense fear grasped Anushka. She shut her eyes tight. 

" Don't worry. I won't ask you to share the experience of your accident. That's devastating I know. Only that, are you sure it was an accident? Because I didn't see your car. Although that's quite natural. Here accidents create massacres, cars and passengers, drivers and luggages mostly don't end up together. " 

" ... I was driving. And then..." , Anushka stopped. 

" It's alright. Where are you from? " 

A long silence prevailed as Joy questioningly stared at her. 

After a really long time, she stammered, " I...don't remember. "

Joy was completely taken aback and that showed on his face. 
" But... you remember your name! You remember how the accident happened! " 

Anushka blankly stared at the bed. " I do. But...nothing else. " 
She could feel his eyes fixed on her as if trying to judge the situation. 

" Any phone number? Your car number? Now if your car has rolled down another six hundred feet, it isn't likely that the police would come searching for you in Rungpo. " 

Anushka sat silently...not meeting his gaze. 

After sometime he spoke again. 

" Anyways. You are my sister. Shelly Montgomery. You live in... in... Chandigarh, and you had come to Dehradun and just by chance decided to meet me after a long twenty.no...yeah...twenty years, and... you were on a van rickshaw on your way to my home, but had toppled off the vehicle down the hillside and hurt yourself. 
Fine? "

Anushka couldn't make out anything and stared at him. 

" Tell this to everyone here. Okay? "

Anushka though couldn't make out what was the harm in bringing home an accident victim, a stranger even. But maybe the opposite gender things mattered in small villages. Though she felt mountaineers were a bit above all these, but maybe not. She realised. 

Joy then handed over the glass of milk to her.

" have this. " 

Anushka very unwillingly took the glass and drank all at a go.

" good girl. ", Joy smiled. 

" Well now, I will have to leave for the town market for sometime. I'll be back within an hour or so. I know you might feel awkward staying alone in a completely new place and house, but I assure you, this ought to be the safest place on earth. Will you mind? If you feel I can lock the door from outside. " 

Anushka very strangely stared at him for sometime. Then slowly nodded. Joy smiled reassuringly again and as he turned to go, Anushka uttered, " Mr Montgomery, why did you bring a stranger home? "

Joy turned back, brought his brows close together and said, " What would you do if you found a blood laden individual lying on the road? Leave to die? 
And remember, no one does anything for anyone without a reason. No one on earth. 
And, don't forget, you are my sister. "

Joy left. Anushka kept staring. She should have comprehended the last statements, but didn't. Strangely enough she didn't know if it was for the place or the person,  but a calm happened to her for the first time in last fifteen years. 

Dr Matthews sat for almost fifteen minutes at the principal's office when Mr Joseph Oliver came in with a smile. Dr Matthews stood up. Joseph gestured him to sit.

Joseph Oliver had founded Holi Child Missionary Schools in Rungpo back in 1984, when he was only 30. He had been the principal and since then the most respected personality not only of Rungpo but of almost all the nearby mountain villages. Almost a five hundred mountain children studied in his school for affordable payments. Not only his school but his house was almost the end station for all villagers. They depended on him for everything, and loved him equally for he was there savior always. 

" Sir I heard you summoned me. " , Dr Matthews said. 

" hmmm. I did. How are you doing? " 

" hehe. I'm doing fine sir. I hope you too are. " 

" I am.", he smiled again. " actually... Joy wouldn't turn up today...he takes a day off for going to the town market the second Wednesday every month. And he doesn't use cellphones you know. But I heard from Tudu, that you visited him this morning. ", Joseph bent a bit forward and asked in a low voice, " is everything alright? " 

" Yes he's alright. But his sister's home and she's got hurt on her way home. She's lucky enough that apart from superficial bruises she's got only a hair crack in her right ankle. Poor girl. She'll be fine though." 

Joseph squeezed his brows in disbelief. " His sister? ! What's her name? " 

" Shelly Montgomery. Some very distant relation, he said. " 

" I don't know of any sister he has. " Joseph said, distressed. 

" now sir, we cannot know every detail of every human can we?" 

Joseph said nothing. " Okay thanks doctor. Actually I myself cannot visit him leaving school, so called you. " 

Dr Matthews left. Joseph sat still. His face showed clear signs of anxiety. No, everyone could not know every detail of every individual really. But that didn't apply to Joy Montgomery. At least not to him. 

Joseph picked up his phone and dialed a number. 

" Go to Joy's place. Right now. "

(Continued below)
Edited by Penfolk - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Penkie06 thumbnail
Chapter Two 

Joy returned within an hour. And Anushka lay still throughout the time. She didn't move because she couldn't. Not that she hadn't tried. But it hurt. Joy had locked the main door from outside and, her heart had stopped for a moment. A strange place, a strange house, and a stranger, that too...a man. But the very next moment, every anxiety vanished to somewhere she didn't know of. 

Anushka had looked around to see if the room housed any of her belongings. When she found none...she stopped searching. 
Someone who had just seen death more than closely, held no much longing for belongings. 
And here, her case was a cord higher. 

Anushka smiled at her fate. Look what she wanted, and where she was now.

Joy walked back to the room with a smile, and Anushka tried to sit up. Joy had an immense bag in his hand filled with God knows what, but he immediately dropped it to the ground and almost rushed to her to help. 

" It's okay..." , Anushka returned a smile and sat with effort. 

" You didn't need to sit up though... 
How are you feeling? "

" Better. "

Joy then brought the bag up and placed it on the bed. He slowly brought out one after another, tops and three quarters.  
Anushka's eyes widened and jaw dropped. 

" Since you obviously cannot wear my clothes, I bought some free sized garments for you from the market. " Joy looked at her. 

Anushka couldn't help smiling. " Ohh my... " 

" What? I am sorry I found nothing precisely around you on the road, not even the car, leave alone your luggages and stuff. And I don't think you belong to the mountains, so I definitely believe there were some!" 

Joy kept speaking as he set the clothes in order in the almirah. 
Anushka said nothing, just stared at this strange saviour of hers.

The man looked in his early thirties, had a thick beard and uncropped lengthy hair, something that gave him a Christly look. Whatever be it, he was nothing less than God to her. Or, was he? Was being saved by someone all that she had wanted? 

Nevertheless,Anushka had been thinking for the last hour, what exactly was she supposed to tell him if he decided to file a general diary at the nearest police station in regard to accident and missing case. 
But thankfully Joy hadn't talked in that line till now. 

It was heavily strange though that Anushka felt so good in a house she was in only for three hours or so now, with a man she had never seen!

After setting the things right, Joy turned to Anushka. 

" So now...if you wish I can help you get up and walk through my little dwelling. " 

Anushka willfully nodded. Joy came forward and lend her his hand. She gripped it firmly, supported her left feet on the ground and stood up with effort. She lost balance once but Joy held her very skillfully and made her walk through the door.  

The house composed of a drawing room, a small one, with attached dining space, a kitchen and a washroom. 
Joy carefully made her sit on a chair in the drawing room. 

" So...raw and ...ethnic. " , Anushka said slowly, truly impressed. She had never seen real wooden cottages, and this happened to be exactly that. 
The drawing room housed two big chairs and a centre table. At one corner stood a very old grandfather clock. The wall just opposite to the door held an immense cross. Scented candles stood lit on a stand below. 

Just adjacent to the kitchen door was a little dining table with two chairs. 

" Just for a change you are here. Otherwise there's nothing much to show of this poor dwelling. " Joy grinned. 

But Anushka kept staring at the cross. Peace engrossed her with every step. 

" I'll bring you a stick. " , Joy said again and went over to the kitchen. 

Anushka followed his track.

Her eyes then rolled over to another wall which showed a black and white couple photo. And below that, a photo of a militant. She kept staring when she heard Joy back from the kitchen. 

" Mr Montgomery..." 

" Joy please! I'm only 31." 
Both exchanged smiles. 
" I ...feel so guilty, that I occupied your bedroom...I..." 

" I don't sleep in bedrooms. This is my bed." 

Joy pointed out to a folded bed roll. " I sleep here" , said he showing an empty space on the floor. " I like open spaces more than closed rooms. " 

Anushka stared blankly at him for sometime, trying to judge if he was lying. Then she tilted her head to the photos. " Who are they? "

Just then a sound happened outside the house, as if someone walked quickly to the door. The next moment, a middle aged female voice called out..." Joy!!!! " 

Anushka quickly looked at Joy, who surprisingly had turned completely pale. He immediately held Anushka and almost pulled her off the chair without any effort on her part and carried her over to the bedroom. He made her sit on the bed, and at a lightning speed kept on murmuring. " Remember you are Shelly Montgomery. You are my uncle's daughter. Uncle's name is...is... Yan Montgomery. We weren't in touch for almost, ten... yeah..no...twenty...yeah...twenty years...and we aren't in much contact even still..we just by chance... met on a train...no...no... oh god... " , Anushka was extremely surprised to even react. And she felt very guilty. 

" wait...you pretend that you are asleep. Please for Jesus' s sake..." 

Joy left the room. And Anushka lay stiff. Though her ears very sharply heard conversations outside the door. 

" Why did you take so long Joy?" 

" I was in the washroom aunty. " 

" ohh... I heard you have some guest?"

" yeah. My...sister. " 

" which sister? We didn't hear of any for the past twenty five years. " 

" yes... I ..met her by chance. I didn't even know I had an uncle. Otherwise you would have known better. " 

" ohh... did my words hurt you anyway? "

" why even? " 

" where is she? let me see. "

" She is...sleepi...aunt..." 

Anushka could feel impending footsteps to her door. She closed her eyes as tight as possible. 

The door opened and a middle aged woman rushed in almost, along with Joy.  Anushka very minutely tried to view things through an open slit of her eyes. 

" ohh...poor girl. She's asleep. Where's her prescription? "

" err...what? "

" Dr Matthews' prescription! " 

" ohh...yes. This. " 

The lady took the prescription and read it squeezing her eyes. 

" Shell..yy...mont..go mery.. 

Okay I'll send the medicines" 

" no...aunty. I've bought them. " 

" I'll buy more and send. " 

Anushka was startled. What was that going on? 

Both of them left the room.

After almost ten minutes Joy returned. 

" Get up." 

Anushka opened her eyes and sat up slowly. 

" Who was that? "

Joy twitched his lips. " Saviours of Rungpo. " 

Anushka stared. " She takes care of you like a mother it seems. " 

Joy said nothing to that. 
Only nodded sideways and said, " no one does anything for anyone without a reason. Not even God." 

Joseph Oliver almost ran through the courtyard of his immense cottage, and his eyes caught his wife, Margaret helplessly making rounds before the gate. Seeing him she ran towards him. 

" She's breaking things. She's out of control once again. I have sent Tudu to Dr Matthews. He's coming." 

Joseph Oliver stared helplessly at his wife.

(Continued below)
Edited by Penfolk - 6 years ago
Penkie06 thumbnail
Chapter Three

It had been five days now. 
Anushka's superficial injuries were slowly healing. Joy had brought her a stick. And she would support on that and walk at least upto the drawing room. 
She had come to know that the drawing room had a small extension, and that housed an enormous collection of books. Joy had given her full liberty to catch hold of any book. She had caught hold of 'Othello' , and started reading the saga of jealousy and distrust all over again. 

She had come to know that Joy was an English teacher at the primary sections of Holy Child Missionary School, the only secondary school of almost a fifty mountain villages here. 
Every morning at 9, Joy would prepare breakfast, they would eat together, and Joy would leave, locking the door from outside. 

" When you will be fit enough, I'll leave the door open to let you roam around. But...not now you see!" 

Anushka had agreed. She didn't have the energy to walk around even, nor face questions of the aunty who visited every now and then. And whenever she did, Anushka either had to pretend sleeping, or get over to the washroom.There wasn't a day in the past few days that she hadn't visited. Anushka didn't know if the aunty believed she was always sleeping, but what could she do anyways!

Anushka had asked Joy, " I am so extremely sorry that you are having to face difficulty for sheltering an opposite sex... as soon as I can walk, I will leave..." 

Joy had smiled. And then said, " Our lives aren't always ours. But our hearts are. Our village doesn't house conservations in minds, but some people care an extra lot about me, which you in your distant dreams too should not be guilty of. 
And...obviously, once you get well, you are leaving. " 

Anushka had choked for a moment. Leaving? To where? But she had only smiled back. 

Joy at times felt guilty of leaving her alone every morning. But she would brush off his guilt saying how lovely his house was, and how she never felt lonely in it. She had been lonelier among crowds. She hadn't said the last thing though. 

Surprisingly enough, Joy never asked her if she remembered anything about her past. That was strange because that was a huge matter of concern, if she was to get well, where should she go?
But Joy seemed least bothered about the future. And she breathed sighs of relief when days passed without that question. 

Because, 
She remembered everything. Exactly everything of her life.

This trip to Dehradun with a car hired, was an escape. Not only from the choking surroundings she belonged to or was going to belong, but almost an escape from the world. 
No, she hadn't deliberately let go off her steering, but obviously very desperately chosen to drive the steep roads alone, and when the brake fell, she was happy. Extremely happy. 
She knew she was embracing death only at the age of 24, and yet knew she was the happiest in death. 

But see, destiny led her into something she hadn't even dreamt of. While she was loosing consciousness, she recapitulated her life, that never housed any human who could touch her heart. Maybe that's what you do when you meet death. And then she remembered nothing. When she slowly woke up, she very much believed that Jesus himself hovered over her face, sprinkling water. But then she knew, she might not have been successful in escaping life, but of course did escape a chapter, even if for the time being. 

Though, today morning, making her fears come true, Joy had said, " I think I should file a complaint at least that if someone comes searching for Anushka Sarkar, they should be sent to me." 

Anushka's eyes had widened for a second. But then, she didn't actually know if anyone would ever come searching for her..

But then Joy himself had brushed off everything. " Okay, let's see if you ever remember something. " , Joy had smirked and walked off. And his smirk had something, that made Anushka insecure of she didn't know what.

The lady, Joy's aunty, every now and then sent medicines, fruits, vegetables, turkey, toiletries, cutlery and what not. Either she herself would bring, or send through a very short man who looked like a typical mountaineer. 

" What's her name? " , Anushka was a lot curious at times. 

Joy never seemed quite happy with everything he was sent. He just twisted his lips, and caressed his beard looking at the bundle of stuffs. 
" Mrs Margaret Oliver. "

Diana lay on bed, staring at the ceiling. No one knew she was up. She was being regularly sedated. But she was calm now. At peace. 
The arteries of the head didn't throb to death, nor anything choked her breath. 

The worst thing about her life was that, she couldn't show the world, she was unwell at times. Very unwell. Because if the world knew, he would know too. And Diana couldn't afford that. 

Joseph Oliver walked in. He knew his daughter was up. He slowly went and sat beside her on the bed. " Diana...how are you baby? " 

Her father's voice always did this to her. She immediately turned, ducked her face into him, and sobbed. 
Joseph began caressing her hair, " It's alright baby. It's alright. Everything will be fine someday. Jesus only tests darling. We at times give a lot of pain to others. He just checks, if we can endure that ourselves. " 
Diana stiffened. She stopped sobbing immediately. And sat up on the bed at a go. Joseph got startled. Oh Jesus! He should have thought before uttering anything, specially when Diana was vulnerable. 
Diana slowly looked at his dad. That look. The look Joseph couldn't bear. " I...am...sorry darling. ", he shakily uttered. 

Diana got down from the bed, and walked over to the washroom. Joseph sat still, lost, dull and dark.

(Continued below)
Penkie06 thumbnail
Chapter Four 

Anushka stood before the couple picture on the wall while Joy sat on a stool near the window, pushing his swift fingers through the strings of a violin. 

Every night, this music soothed Anushka so much that she almost fell asleep in the drawing room itself, and half dreamt of a beautiful world. And Joy played it with expertise. The scented candles made the weather inside the small cottage heavenly, and the violin only added to that. 

Tonight though, Anushka wanted to explore things a bit more. 

" Are they your parents? " , Anushka's voice cut through the music. 

Joy didn't stop abruptly, rather faded it out. 

" Yeah. My mom and dad. And the picture below is my dad's. He though looks like a militant here, dressed like one, he wasn't one. 
Wanted to be. Couldn't. Hence went over being an agent. He died on field when I was six. My mom knew everything about his profession though, no one else did." 

Joy came and stood beside Anushka, looking at the picture.

" Oh..." , Anushka didn't utter more. 

Joy walked back and sat on a chair. Anushka too slowly limped to another, her stick now seemed to be her part. 

" Mr. Joseph Oliver, husband of the Margaret Oliver you see everyday, used to be my father's childhood friend. And when my father died, we... I mean me and mom were left with nothing. Nothing at all. My father owned no much property. And as you might know, agents don't receive even recognition from the agencies they work for, leave alone compensations. My mom had married him only out of love, without even thinking for once, what would be of us if he died. Neither did he think, strangely. Henceforth, when he died ...we didn't know where to go..."

Joy stopped here. " Are you comfortable? " , he stared at Anushka, concerned. 

" I very much am. Please continue. " 

" ...hmm... okay so... those days while my mom struggled like hell for whatever job she could do...suddenly one day, Joseph Oliver appeared as our savior, as an incarnation of Jesus! 

My mom, who could lose everything but not self respect, didn't really accept his proposal of us shifting to Rungpo and staying at their place. 

But maybe later, only for me, she agreed."

Joy stopped again. " Are you sleepy? "

" Ophhh! Who's pleading you to stop now and then? I'm bored of Othello now. Tell me your story. " 

" Hah! My story is extremely clichd ma'am! " 

Joy stood up and walked to the window. 

" Even though we shifted to Rungpo, I had never seen my mother stay as a guest at the Oliver Mansion. 

She would always work in the kitchen, and do daily chores along with the servants of the house. Not that Mr and Mrs Oliver didn't plead her not to, but she would always make it extremely clear that she didn't want anyone's pity.

I am proud of my mom for this thing of hers. " 

A long pause prevailed. Anushka couldn't judge if Joy was silently shedding tears, but she waited. 

" I, then, on the contrary at times hated this thing because I felt like nothing more than a servant's son. 

Though Mr Oliver would take care of me like a son, I knew even, I too maybe owed a lot to him...something someday maybe I had to repay...  "

Joy took a long pause again. Anushka rested her chin on her palm and kept staring. 

" I too would go to Holy Child Missionary Schools then. It was almost new. And not much do I remember from my childhood, except glimpses of mom..and ..Christina... My only mate in the Oliver Mansion. 

Christina was again, someone who was 'saved' by the Oliver couple. Christina's parents too had some connection with the Olivers, and following their accidental demise, she was brought home by them, and she lived almost as their daughter. 

The Olivers really had a big heart. "

Joy turned to Anushka, who stared with her brows slightly curved. 

" indeed, they do have a big heart. But why do I find a tinge of sarcasm every time you utter that?" 

Joy laughed with noise. And then returned back to the chair. " Anushka, I am thirty one now. Quite a long time on earth. And now I know, however selfless you wanna be, a point comes when you cannot, anymore. And henceforth, everything you had done once maybe, means nothing at all. " 

" I don't believe that. Look at you. All that you are doing for me, isn't that absolutely selfless? " 

" Who even said that? You are here...because, I'm tired of my loneliness. I'm tired of the fact, that I have no one I can care for, no one I can ask to hold my hand. Why don't you think that you are here, only because I'm tired of living alone in this little wooden life??? Why don't you believe that I saved you and brought home, only as a piece of a fresh soul who could help my dying soul out for the time being? "

Anushka stared at Joy, speechless. And Joy stared back without breaking the eyelock. 

A heavy turmoil grew inside her heart ... like she wanted to burst out saying, " I wasn't even supposed to be here if things went right Joy! And neither am I here because I forgot everything as you believe. I am here only because, I too am lonely... forever even within a crowd. " 

Rather she spoke out..." I believe your mother expired in due course of time. But...Christina? "

Joy now looked down and scratched his nails against the wooden handle of his chair for a long time. And then slowly uttered, " she too left me. Four years back. " 

Anushka waited patiently...

Diana paced up and down the room. 

She back counted, because she knew it worked always. But it didn't now. 

Margaret stood helplessly at the door.  

Diana stopped suddenly and walked to her. " I'll go." , she commanded. 

" It's one in the night darling, not a time to visit someone. Plus you ain't alright. When you couldn't visit for over a week now, why do you want to at this point of time? " 

" Because things are getting over my nerves why don't you understand mum!!!" 

Diana's immense wail shook the whole mansion at a go. 

Margaret's eyes widened beyond limits. Diana almost pounced on her and shook her vigorously, " Four years! Four years since she left! And yet...nothing happened! Nothing I want happened mum!!!! Still I wait, patiently...everyday, every hour, every minute! 

What does he think now? He can deceive me that easily! Really? That? " 

Diana let go off her mother and paced vigorously again. Margaret looked down, almost choking, breathing hard. 

" Sister? Really? How foolish does the world think me to be really? Shelly Montgomery! Ohh wow! Wow! Wow!!!!! "  

Diana stopped. Her features stiffened. Margaret helplessly stood. And then uttered in whisper, " Why don't you just...let...things...be...darling..." 

Diana looked at her mother. And her mother was always afraid of that look... 

" Because in Rungpo, no one can deceive the Olivers. And no one can walk over to an Oliver's destination before them. 

I hate you Christina Johnson! You ruined my life! "

(To be continued)
Nynaeve thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Dear Kaushitaki,

I read all the updates in one go and though slow paced was enjoyable to read for it enable me to go through it slowly and the characters started seeping in. So what starts off as a simple premise is slowly spiralling into complicity, the first hint being the line "And remember, no one does anything for anyone, without a reason. No one on earth"

That sinks into your psyche and draws you in - so we meet the Olivers - who clearly have a lot to hide, as much as Joy and Anushka have. Christina mysteriously disappears, Diana ominously referring to that incident and a glimpse into her vindictive nature - "..no one can deceive the Olivers.  And no one can walk over to an Oliver's destination before them. I hate you Christina Johnson! You ruined my life!"

So is that a hint towards both 'loving' Joy and Diana deciding to take matters into her own hands rather than accept an unrequited love and leave things alone?

Will have to wait for the next updates, I guess.

Best,
Nyna

PS - It would be great if you continue to post it here, it would be much easier for me to read the updates. I will comment too, just not immediately.
Penkie06 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Nynaeve

Dear Kaushitaki,

I read all the updates in one go and though slow paced was enjoyable to read for it enable me to go through it slowly and the characters started seeping in. So what starts off as a simple premise is slowly spiralling into complicity, the first hint being the line "And remember, no one does anything for anyone, without a reason. No one on earth"

That sinks into your psyche and draws you in - so we meet the Olivers - who clearly have a lot to hide, as much as Joy and Anushka have. Christina mysteriously disappears, Diana ominously referring to that incident and a glimpse into her vindictive nature - "..no one can deceive the Olivers.  And no one can walk over to an Oliver's destination before them. I hate you Christina Johnson! You ruined my life!"

So is that a hint towards both 'loving' Joy and Diana deciding to take matters into her own hands rather than accept an unrequited love and leave things alone?

Will have to wait for the next updates, I guess.

Best,
Nyna

PS - It would be great if you continue to post it here, it would be much easier for me to read the updates. I will comment too, just not immediately.

I am so extremely glad you liked it. I'll definitely repost here once I update. 
Penkie06 thumbnail
Chapter Five

" Come in Joy!" 

Joseph Oliver invited the figure standing at the door of his chamber. 

Joy walked in and took a seat. " Good morning sir." 

"...hmm... so this permanent transition from uncle to sir...isn't gonna be back to being normal ever. Right? " 
Joseph smirked. 

Joy smiled but remained silent.  

" Sir... the marksheets of 3B." , he placed a bunch of papers on the desk. " You would like to go through I suppose. " 

" Oh yeah. Sure!! " 

Joy stood up. .

" Ohh sit!! I need to talk. " 

Joy shoved uncomfortably and then sat down again.

" so...how's your sister? "

" Recovering. " 

" Okay, I hope she does soon. May I know more about her?" 

Joy felt extremely irritated. But he knew he had to answer these, no matter how disturbing things sounded. 

" I hope you remember, last year I went for a seven days' treck to Manaali. I met her there. My dad and her dad weren't in terms before my parents got married, so maybe... they didn't know of anything... " , Joy stopped.
Because lying stupendously was not something he enjoyed. Joseph kept staring questioningly. But Joy was in no mood to continue. 

" I have a class sir. " 

Joseph was a bit startled at this abrupt change in topic. He looked at the wall clock. And then himself changed the topic anyways. " Diana wanted to meet you. She's not doing much well these days. Cough, cold and fever you see. So can you please come over to our place for dinner today? " 

Joy stared surprisingly at Joseph for sometime. And then said, " I'm...sorry sir but... I can't leave Shelly at home that way for dinner at someone else's place..." 

Joseph stared back, a bit cold. " Can't she come along? " 

" no sir. She still limps a lot. " 

" Diana wanted you to be at our place tonight. Moreover, it hurts me to hear that the place you grew up in has turned to 'someone else's' place now. " 

Joy stayed silent.

" I know Joy, you want to avoid coming to Oliver Mansion because it reminds you of Christina. But... why does my daughter have to suffer because of someone else's life decisions? If she chose to leave, do you think my daughter is responsible for that?" 

Joy did not like the turn of questions now. He remained absolutely silent and looked at his watch. 

" You gotta answer me Joy. You very well know what we want from you. We want you to move on... to forget someone who didn't value your love, and hold onto someone who does. Why don't you get that Joy? Christina was not the perfect match for you ever...but..." 

Joy stood up. " I'm not sure if I can join you for dinner sir. I'll try. " 

" Joy!! " , Joseph springed up. And he had such command in his statement that Joy shook for a moment.  

" You have no right to ignore my words everytime I speak. You seem to have forgotten your past!!! " 

Joy was completely taken aback. Though he knew every bit...but he really hadn't ever heard Joseph Oliver saying things on face. 

He himself must have realised that too. 

He steadily came forward to Joy and placed his hands on his shoulder. " I...am so sorry Joy. I actually... I remain so disturbed with Diana's health these days... I... I...just can't see her unhappy or sick... you know how I want to do everything she wants me to... you know how much I love her... " 

Joy slowly took a step back.  And uttered softly, " I know sir. How you can do anything for her. " 

Joseph looked on. Joy added... " I haven't forgotten my past sir. Had I... I would have long back left Rungpo forever. " 

Joy left. Joseph dropped himself on his revolving chair and closed his eyes as tight as possible. He felt like giving up. Everything. At a go.

Anushka whispered, keeping her ears on the door. " Who's there?" 

No one replied, but the knock happened again. 

Anushka hesitatingly opened the door and through a slit viewed outside. 

A woman stood before the door, she looked in her mid twenties. 

" Yes? "

The woman smiled and pushed the door along with Anushka to get in. Anushka was highly startled but she wasn't in a position to resist, given how weak she was. 
She just moved back a bit and her eyes widened. The woman closed the door and spontaneously took a seat on a chair. Anushka kept standing. 

" Shelly, right? please sit! I'm Diana. Diana Oliver. " 

Anushka's heart beat fast. Though Joy hadn't told much yesterday after he stopped, he had made it clear that she needed to be extremely careful with the Olivers specially. She didn't know why though, but...maybe, through her own life, she could judge somehow. She could feel her tongue get dry. 

She smiled only. 

" so...don't you get bored staying here alone throughout the day? I bet you do. And so I invite you for dinner tonight at our place. " , Diana kept smiling. 

Anushka surprisingly looked once at her and then at her leg. " but...I... " 

" ...can't walk? 
So what? Joy can carry you on her arms, can't he? " , Diana grinned. 

Anushka's features stiffened. 

" ...after all you are his sister. ." , Diana added. With an unnecessary exaggeration on 'sister'. 
Anushka quickly sat down on the chair. She very much wanted Joy to be here now. A pretty much. Because she felt weak alone. 

" well... what do you do? " 

"... I ...just finished my mba. " , Anushka lied spontaneously. If only... 

" ohh wow! That's tremendous. " , Diana's eyes glittered. " I don't like studying. " , she twitched her lips. " ...dropped after graduating." 

Anushka was careful not to speak anything not needed. She just smiled. 

" Anyways... I want to know so much about Joy's sister you see. I have always known he was a loner in world who only had a mother of his own. Where from did you drop in...? " 

Anushka was a lot afraid at this point. She now had to tell a predesigned story, and if by chance she left loopholes, things might go downhill for Joy... and... maybe she too. 

" I... I actually didn't know, I had a brother. My...dad and her dad... weren't in talking terms..before... his parents got married, and...  so... maybe we...we didn't know... " , she almost choked. 

" Wow... such a beautiful story! " 

Anushka chilled. Did she understand that it merely was a story? 

" I mean... it's so much like a story. " ... Diana grinned again. " Please keep taking. " , Diana crossed her legs and made herself more comfortable. 

Anushka didn't know what she would do now. 
She only kept praying of something she didn't know. 

And just then the door whizzed open. Joy walked in. 
Anushka felt like she would faint out of relief. She just wanted to run to him and hide behind. She immediately stood up. 

So did Diana. Her expressions so much showed that she hadn't expected Joy here right now. They both stood still and stared at each other, Anushka kept watching. 

" You...here?" , Diana asked. 

Joy smiled mysteriously. " I pay for this house Diana, so I believe I am supposed to be here. " 

" I didn't mean that. I meant you are supposed to be in school now. " 

Joy didn't answer. He rather looked at Anushka, whose eyes showed clear panic. " Had your lunch Shelly? "

"... err... " , Anushka didn't know if she could actually say a 'no' because ..would her wait at lunch for her so called brother make some other sense to Diana? 

Joy turned to Diana and walked close to her. Diana's features had something that Anushka couldn't judge. She looked a lot of something else. 

Joy slowly uttered. 
" Diana... I know you too are not well. I promise, if we can ...we would be at your place for dinner. But if Shelly isn't well... we may not turn up... I hope you won't mind. " 

Diana looked into his eyes, Anushka couldn't at all read her eyes . She only knew, Diana Oliver was hard to cultivate. 

Diana left the place without a word. Joy readily walked inside the kitchen, and Anushka alone had to face a look Diana gave to her as she left. A look Anushka would never like to view again in life...

Nynaeve thumbnail
Dear Kaushitaki,

Nice update, it is like something slowly unfolding and you get a glimpse that there are far more things hidden underneath the layers. Confrontations ruled the update, Joseph and Joy, Diana and Shelly, Joy and Diana - so it is clear that Joy sort of cut off all relations with the Olivers post Christina's disappearance, something which Diana has not taken very well.

Shelly can feel the vibes of dislike for her from Diana, who now seems determined to "remove" Shelly too from Joy's life, the look she does give Shelly is quite ominous. 

Best,
Nyna
Penkie06 thumbnail
Chapter Six
Things were getting easier after almost three weeks now. Anushka was happier than before. She though still couldn't walk properly, but she felt much better now. An inner peace gripped her almost throughout the day. 

The major thing was that, Diana visited her every now and then. And always exactly when Joy wasn't home. Initially Anushka was extremely afraid of facing her, but as days went by she realised, Diana deliberately avoided asking about Anushka's whereabouts. Rather she would mostly talk about insignificant things, only for the sake of talking ...like how was Rungpo set up...how her father made place in almost everyone's heart, this and that. Thus, she tried to be friendly with Anushka, and was actually quite successful in doing that. Anushka wasn't afraid of her any longer. She though didn't ever ask anything. And so, noticed that Diana didn't even talk of someone called Christina. But if she had left a four years back from now, wasn't it very usual talking of her? But then...why even...if she left willingly or so...or if she didn't even exist anymore. Neither had Joy talked clearly of it...nor did Diana even talk about it. 
Anyways, Anushka carefully didn't bother much. 

Every afternoon when Joy returned, he would definitely ask if the Olivers turned up. And whenever Anushka told of Diana, Joy fell unusually silent.

Anyways, apart from the Olivers saga... Anushka had noticed some major things about Joy. He was mostly a man of business. That is... he would not talk at all about things not concerning the present situation or the person before... if not asked. And not only that, he wouldn't even talk when asked, if he didn't wish to. 

Joy was a vivacious reader, and he had immense interest in classics. When he found out Anushka was reading Othello again, he smiled and said, " Don't think trust is the major issue in love. Jealousy is. Actually. If jealousy is directed in the correct track, it can lead to devastations." 

And Anushka's sadness rekindled with this. She knew it. Very well. 

Another major thing Anushka noticed was that, Joy would never ask her about her memory issues. And this was what amazed her so much. 
How could he not be concerned of the fact that a woman resided with him who didn't remember anything about her past, ? What exactly would he do next? 

" I would have left Rungpo long back, had it not been for the children. They have become the greatest pullbacks of my life. One day, if I discover something or someone who will need me more than these children, I will leave Rungpo, forgetting everything. " , Joy said. And Anushka stared at him.
" Why did you say that day, that you pay for this house? " 

Joy had looked at her sadly. " Yes. I stay here on rent. This house is Mr Oliver's as well. I just cannot stay at the Oliver Mansion. " 
Really? Did everything here belong to the Olivers? Anushka wondered. 

Anushka had time and again wanted to tell Joy that she remembered everything. But an unknown fear gripped her that Joy wouldn't understand her situation and would send her back. And she didn't want exactly that. She had already done two biggest blunders of her lives. She couldn't do more.

Today morning suddenly Diana appeared with a wheelchair and a ear to ear smile on her face. Anushka stood confused. 

" Would you like to accompany me to the church? It's just next to your place. " 

Anushka knew. She heard church bells every now and then. 
She thought for sometime and then nodded a yes.

Diana slowly pushed the wheelchair along the side of the road. The roads were usually empty and at times the chair toppled on some stones and Anushka's eyes widened as she looked at the troughs that walked along. 

" Are you afraid of the depth? " , Diana softly asked from the behind.  

" ...err...yeah... of...course. " , Anushka uttered, though confused why she actually still was afraid of death. 

" Why even? I don't understand why we fear death, when we actually have to die someday, without a doubt. What if I let go off the wheelchair now? No one would even know where you went..." 

Suddenly a chill ran down Anushka's spine. What was she talking? She thoroughly gripped the handle of the wheelchair and looked around. No one was actually there. She tightly closed her eyes. Joy's face appeared before her eyes. Her throat felt totally dry. She uttered with effort..." what...are you...saying Diana..." 

The very next moment a spine chilling laughter tore the sky apart, and then Anushka felt Diana's breaths near her ears, as she shut her eyes tighter than ever..." Shellyyy... I was joking darling! Why the hell shall I kill Joy's beloved sister? " 

And then Diana didn't say a word. Neither did Anushka. As Diana pushed her to the church, Anushka only prayed throughout the route.

While helping her off the chair to her bed back at home...Diana had reassured once more, " dear Shelly, that was purely a joke! I can be an extremely good friend, an extremely good sister, an extremely good daughter, and an extremely good lover...until and unless the person in front, deceives me. Remember that. " 

Anushka had chilled once again.

" I had told you not to get out of the house! I had told you Anushka! And what did you do? You accompanied Diana to the church? Seriously? " Joy thumped his fist against the wall. 

Anushka sat like an accused on bed. She had just told everything that happened to Joy. And with how he reacted, Anushka knew...nothing was alright at all. 

After quite a long time of Joy pacing up and down the room, Anushka decided to break the ice. 

"Does she love you Joy? " 

Joy didn't stop. Neither say anything. Anushka waited for sometime. And then said again, 

" Joy! What exactly happened to Christina? "

Joy stopped. And stood still. Then looked at Anushka. Anushka could see a sky full of astonishment in his eyes. 

He slowly walked up to her, and sat beside her...looked into her eyes, and said, " What do you think, Anushka? " 

Anushka stared back with wide eyes. She didn't know what to say. 

Nynaeve thumbnail
Dear Kaushitaki,

That was a very quick and happening update (though considering how long I take to update, yours is super duper quick😊).

So Diana is all set to "push" Anushka out of Joy's life - I am very curious and intrigued about her, her possessiveness of Joy appears to be rooted more in pride at the Oliver having to be the "Monarchs"  though there is a hint of wanting Joy also. Her current behaviour with Shelly / Anushka hints that she might have had a lot to do with Christina's disappearance.

Then there is Joy, a very quiet reserved person - more so on account of circumstances rather than a basic outlook in life - as he says if he finds someone or something more compelling than the children, he would willing leave Rungpo. 

Finally Anushka, who is willing trapped in a pretend amnesia and one who wanted to die but now wants to live. 

All prisoners of their thoughts and deeds, leaving one to wonder who will break, up / apart / down or free.

Best,
Nyna