How to make PB great again

Melkor thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Hello guys!! This is coming from a viewer who loved PB before the leap.After the leap the CVs have taken certain liberties with the storyline which I do find difficult to adjust with.What a show needs is a proper storyline.Without a storyline,nothing can survive for long.So I have a certain wishlist about how the tracks should have been executed

1.First of all,this show is called Peshwa Bajirao which means that it's about all the aspects of Bajirao's life.The two main aspects of his life were that he was the most powerful Peshwas and accomplished military generals.Therefore we could have been shown a glimpse of his mind and how he formulates battle strategies.

2.After Balaji's death,they should have shown his accession to the post of the Peshwa and how he earned it with his merit.The political intrigues of the Maratha court could have been shown along with his equation with Shahu Maharaj and Panth Pratinidhi.

3.Now let's come to his wives.Many viewers don't approve of Mastani's entry at such an early stage.By introducing Mastani now,the PH has made the mistake which has been made in many historicals.
Usually we have seen in historicals that the central character has only one love interest who is depicted as the love of his life.They are portrayed as eternal lovers and that's how the butchering of the show begins.Historicals are turned into Amar prem kathas.
I will give two examples.I used to follow two historicals religiously.They are Razia Sultan and Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat.
Razia Sultan portrayed Razia's husband Altunia as her lover and soulmate as a result of which both Razia and Altunia's characters were whitewashed.The grey shades which defined their characters were gone.And Razia's best friend Jamaluddin Yaqut was turned into a creepy lustful man.

In CAS,Ashoka's love interest was Karuvaki.Each and everything about Ashoka revolved around her.Characters were butchered in this case too.Both Ashoka and Kaurwaki's characters were turned into sore losers.Ashok's first wife Devi was turned into a cheerleader and AshWaki shipper.

The only difference was that Alzia had a magical chemistry which saved them.AshWaki didn't even have that.

So we have two scenarios.In one scenario,the third person is turned into a shipper like Devi and in the other scenario he is turned into a villain like Yaqut.
My question is why is it so necessary for the protagonist to have only one love interest who becomes the so called love of his/her life?? Why is it considered a crime to fall for more than one person??

Ashoka is known to have many wives.Out of them he married both Devi and Karuvaki out of love.Both the women entered his life at different stages.Razia too liked both Yaqut and Altunia in different ways.
Bajirao too loved both Kashibai and Mastani in different ways.Contrary to what SLB portrayed he never left Kashibai.

Therfore why can't PB break the usual norm of TV shows and depict Bajirao as a human being???
PB doesn't need a love story in the first place.Be it with Kashi or Mastani.

Is it so difficult to show Baji loving and respecting Kashi and later falling for Mastani?? Is it so necessary for one wife to be either sidelined or become a vamp??
For now I am neither impressed with Kashi's depiction nor Mastani's.
Kashi was not a lovelorn woman pining for her husband's love.
Neither was Mastani a girl ostracised by her own family.
Why is the PH so hesitant to venture into the 'Grey' zone??

P.S.Sorry for this rantπŸ˜†

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Chenab30 thumbnail

Originally posted by: --BlackSheep--

I agree with you.

The problem is CVs do not understand human psychology.

Mistake # 1
Love can be different.
Bajirao loved Kashibai but he was not in love with her.

Nani loved Kashibai as a husband loves a wife. He loved her generosity, she was the pillar of his household. It is Kashibai who took care of all including Mastani son too. She was her husbands close friend and his pillar of support. Bajirao loved Kashibai as a husband will love his wife in an arrange marriage. The mutual attraction, respect and affection for each other was the foundation for their relationship.

With Mastani it is different. He was in love with her. She was his soulmate. Mastani was his insipiration. A woman who will walk with him in same goals. She will marry his sword (SLB)and not treat as a rival.

She is Krishna and she is a free spirit. She will do what she wants to do. She is made for him.

CVs not understand human psychology as they are showing Baji as a cold husband.

Mistake # 2

Show some Baji ideals for India his idea of Swaraj. And what stupidity CVs are showing nasty I going to Mughal camp to save a brother. Bullshit.

We can be better writers.

Hello guys!! This is coming from a viewer who loved PB before the leap.After the leap the CVs have taken certain liberties with the storyline which I do find difficult to adjust with.What a show needs is a proper storyline.Without a storyline,nothing can survive for long.So I have a certain wishlist about how the tracks should have been executed

1.First of all,this show is called Peshwa Bajirao which means that it's about all the aspects of Bajirao's life.The two main aspects of his life were that he was the most powerful Peshwas and accomplished military generals.Therefore we could have been shown a glimpse of his mind and how he formulates battle strategies.

2.After Balaji's death,they should have shown his accession to the post of the Peshwa and how he earned it with his merit.The political intrigues of the Maratha court could have been shown along with his equation with Shahu Maharaj and Panth Pratinidhi.

3.Now let's come to his wives.Many viewers don't approve of Mastani's entry at such an early stage.By introducing Mastani now,the PH has made the mistake which has been made in many historicals.
Usually we have seen in historicals that the central character has only one love interest who is depicted as the love of his life.They are portrayed as eternal lovers and that's how the butchering of the show begins.Historicals are turned into Amar prem kathas.
I will give two examples.I used to follow two historicals religiously.They are Razia Sultan and Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat.
Razia Sultan portrayed Razia's husband Altunia as her lover and soulmate as a result of which both Razia and Altunia's characters were whitewashed.The grey shades which defined their characters were gone.And Razia's best friend Jamaluddin Yaqut was turned into a creepy lustful man.

In CAS,Ashoka's love interest was Karuvaki.Each and everything about Ashoka revolved around her.Characters were butchered in this case too.Both Ashoka and Kaurwaki's characters were turned into sore losers.Ashok's first wife Devi was turned into a cheerleader and AshWaki shipper.

The only difference was that Alzia had a magical chemistry which saved them.AshWaki didn't even have that.

So we have two scenarios.In one scenario,the third person is turned into a shipper like Devi and in the other scenario he is turned into a villain like Yaqut.
My question is why is it so necessary for the protagonist to have only one love interest who becomes the so called love of his/her life?? Why is it considered a crime to fall for more than one person??

Ashoka is known to have many wives.Out of them he married both Devi and Karuvaki out of love.Both the women entered his life at different stages.Razia too liked both Yaqut and Altunia in different ways.
Bajirao too loved both Kashibai and Mastani in different ways.Contrary to what SLB portrayed he never left Kashibai.

Therfore why can't PB break the usual norm of TV shows and depict Bajirao as a human being???

Is it so difficult to show Baji loving and respecting Kashi and later falling for Mastani?? Is it so necessary for one wife to be either sidelined or become a vamp??

Edited by Chenab30 - 6 years ago
MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Your rant echoes what every PB viewer (who has watched from the start) is feeling.  

I didn't watch RaziaSultan but I watched JodhaAkbar, Maharana Pratap and Ashoka and some other historicals too. I agree with your points.  
I didn't watch a single one till end, left them all halfway.  They all were butchered by the "soaps" obsessed writers.

Except for JodhaAkbar a love story - ALL other serials were going to be about the legendary historical figures but they ended up being love stories.  Bad love stories!

The problem seems to be the calibre of the writers PHs trust with the story.  These writers capabilities seem limited to soaps and love stories, they see characters in Lily white or jet black!  They don't understand grays nor do they understand that viewers are actually interested in everything else but love story!

Pre leap PB was good, sometimes really good.  Post leap we all can see where it is heading!  The difference between screen space of Shahuraje and Mastani tells us their priorities!

I would rather watch Shahuraje, QD, Nasir, Mughals defeats, political events than Mastani but she gets SHOVED in every episode every scene of Bajirao Kashi almost!

So it seems I will not watch PB also till end πŸ˜†.  Cos PH and Sony promised us Peshwa Bajirao but we are going to get Bajirao Mastani πŸ˜‘

MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I think Bajirao Kashi actors Karan and Ishita are doing great.  If Mastani was not SHOVED in now and in EVERY episode I would enjoy PB, not hate half the episode!
I wouldn't put it past these cvs to show a sobbing Mastani after Balaji demise cos Bajirao Mastani have to be mirrors πŸ€’

Sandhya.A thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Great Warriors need not be great lovers and devoted to only the heroine and be her bhakt at all. But this is what sabotages the historical.
 Ashoka was going great till Kaurvaki junior entered it. I could even withstand the senior one but the younger version and her pathetic performance and the screen space she got destroyed the magic woven by Siddharth and others till then.

Even in  historical love stories why not polygamy be portrayed naturally. Like in Chandra Nandini , Chandragupt has a one night stand with his wife and friend Dhurdhara ONLY because his Guru orders that the kingdom needs an heir. His other wife Helena is relegated to remain a married spinster all her life and is unsuccessful at enticing him even for ONE night. And he has to remain a bachelor till Nandini accepts him. 

Forget Chandra. Akbar known for a full and prosperous Harem was also turned into a one woman bhakt in the show that ruined the love story. Why can't the relationship with other wives in polygamy be shown in a realistic way! Here too why does Baji have to remain 'pure' till Mastani comes into his life? Since Nana Sahib cannot be deleted, they might show a one night stand on the orders of RadhaBai. πŸ˜‘

The point is that the CVS simply cannot handle polygamy realistically and are hell bent on making bhakts out of the heroes, their historical importance notwithstanding. And when the other wife ends up looking cuter and performing very well the heroine is looked upon as an intruder like with Mastani . Another actress might have given a different feel but this one is simply not up to the mark and Baji's telepathy makes it all the more intolerable.
daenerysnow thumbnail

Originally posted by: MaddyO

Your rant echoes what every PB viewer (who has watched from the start) is feeling.  

I didn't watch RaziaSultan but I watched JodhaAkbar, Maharana Pratap and Ashoka and some other historicals too. I agree with your points.  
I didn't watch a single one till end, left them all halfway.  They all were butchered by the "soaps" obsessed writers.

Except for JodhaAkbar a love story - ALL other serials were going to be about the legendary historical figures but they ended up being love stories.  Bad love stories!

The problem seems to be the calibre of the writers PHs trust with the story.  These writers capabilities seem limited to soaps and love stories, they see characters in Lily white or jet black!  They don't understand grays nor do they understand that viewers are actually interested in everything else but love story!

Pre leap PB was good, sometimes really good.  Post leap we all can see where it is heading!  The difference between screen space of Shahuraje and Mastani tells us their priorities!

I would rather watch Shahuraje, QD, Nasir, Mughals defeats, political events than Mastani but she gets SHOVED in every episode every scene of Bajirao Kashi almost!

So it seems I will not watch PB also till end πŸ˜†.  Cos PH and Sony promised us Peshwa Bajirao but we are going to get Bajirao Mastani πŸ˜‘

You made an excellent point about the writers of these shows. They are paid to spoon feed us shit down out throats! All for the sake of bloody 'romantic' nonsense, which btw is so ludicrous in their portrayal and unconnected to reality. They can't even show sex scenes yet the themes of these shows are about a man and woman and their chemistry. The bloody irony/hypocrisy.
BeyondHorizon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

1.First of all,this show is called Peshwa Bajirao which means that it's about all the aspects of Bajirao's life.The two main aspects of his life were that he was the most powerful Peshwas and accomplished military generals.Therefore we could have been shown a glimpse of his mind and how he formulates battle strategies. True but I guess since this is a fictional account of what transpired in the peshwa's life the sole focus cannot be just war strategies else this would become a documentary. The audience will also want to know what could have happened in the peshwa's household, what equation he shared with his family since there is little account of that in the artefacts. But having said that I get your point. I have seen many historicals go down the drain since the focus was shifted to his completely fictional eternal love saga which may not be even 1% accurate to the actual history.

2.After Balaji's death,they should have shown his accession to the post of the Peshwa and how he earned it with his merit.The political intrigues of the Maratha court could have been shown along with his equation with Shahu Maharaj and Panth Pratinidhi. They may or may not show this and it's too early to tell. But the show has dealt with the political aspect very well and hopefully that will be shown in the upcoming episodes. Fingers crossed.

3.Now let's come to his wives.Many viewers don't approve of Mastani's entry at such an early stage.By introducing Mastani now,the PH has made the mistake which has been made in many historicals. Me neither and in this case there are many valid documentaries to suggest Mastani's true age and when she made her entry into Bajirao's life. What annoyed me the most was the sequence when Baji looses himself to her melody and envisions a non-existent family with her when he already has a devoted wife waiting for him. How does this justify? 
Usually we have seen in historicals that the central character has only one love interest who is depicted as the love of his life.They are portrayed as eternal lovers and that's how the butchering of the show begins.Historicals are turned into Amar prem kathas. Absolutely true. Men back then were concerned more about wars than domestic issues. Women were meant to offer solace when they came back tired from their military expeditions, bear them children, take care of their homes and family. This is not to say they did not respect their wives but this is the fact.
I will give two examples.I used to follow two historicals religiously.They are Razia Sultan and Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat. I have not followed Razia Sultan on a regular basis but CAS used to be one of my fav shows but it went down the drain so badly πŸ€’ Kaurwaki was never his childhood sweetheart and he probably met her after or during Kalinga phase. He was attracted to Devi and she was his first wife and probably the first woman he loved. But thanks to the movie, CAS depicted AshWaki as eternal lovers and Kaurwaki was never a princess to start with. 
Razia Sultan portrayed Razia's husband Altunia as her lover and soulmate as a result of which both Razia and Altunia's characters were whitewashed.The grey shades which defined their characters were gone.And Razia's best friend Jamaluddin Yaqut was turned into a creepy lustful man. I still can't get over Asoka. Asoka was probably the best example for a grey shaded protagonist who was driven by ambition, power and greed. But in the show they showed him to be a righteous fool πŸ€’ One thing I am happy about Peshwa Bajirao is that they have made sure the actors aged unlike in CAS where Dharma was made to appear like her younger self throughout. This made way for many to criticise that Mohit Raina looked older than her. In Bajirao they made a right decision to replace Anuja else this would have turned up and Sourabh being her real life husband now playing her onscreen son would have made things more awkward. I know people have not accepted Rajeshwari but she is the perfect choice to play this character now. Anuja will always remain a younger version of Radhabai and will always be remembered ❀️ The settings and costumes are probably the best I have seen in recent times. 

In CAS,Ashoka's love interest was Karuvaki.Each and everything about Ashoka revolved around her.Characters were butchered in this case too.Both Ashoka and Kaurwaki's characters were turned into sore losers.Ashok's first wife Devi was turned into a cheerleader and AshWaki shipper. I am sure Kashi won't be a BM shipper πŸ˜† But I hope she doesn't become negative and start scheming against BM to make sure BM love becomes eternal and Mastani is victimised for no good reason πŸ˜† 

The only difference was that Alzia had a magical chemistry which saved them.AshWaki didn't even have that. I hadn't seen Soumya in her previous shows but she certainly didn't suit Kaurwaki and she did not share any chemistry with Mohit. Towards the end she improved a tad bit but still that was not enough. The worst thing about CAS was that Mohit was probably the best actor to play Asoka but sadly he was underutilised and worser than that blamed for the failure. They stretched meaningless tracks for months and months together but the Kalinga phase was shot in one episode 😳 I guess this says how bitterly disappointed with this show 

Bajirao too loved both Kashibai and Mastani in different ways.Contrary to what SLB portrayed he never left Kashibai. Exactly. Take Mahabharat for instance. Arjun was married to many women, primarily Draupadi and Subhadra. He was shown to love and respect both women equally. Why is Mastani being glorified here? πŸ˜•

Why is the PH so hesitant to venture into the 'Grey' zone?? It is not difficult to portray that but how else will makers give in to the majority of the audience who are suckers for plain stupid romance πŸ€’

My comments in blue.

this show is called Peshwa Bajirao which means that it's about all the aspects of Bajirao's life.

Exactly. I want to see all aspects of his life. The highs, the lows, the wrongs, the rights. Something I really want to know is how he was with governance. His campaigns and his relationships are touched upon often but that's an aspect I'd really like to know more about.

Getting in Mastani at this point is a gigantic blooper.