memsaab thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Son block

Ravee Gupta can't bear to address Narendra Jha, who's much older than her, as 'putra'

Reena Thapar Kapoor

Maa kasam: Ravee Gupta and Narendra Jha
The sets of Ravan seems to have become a battlefield, and a hub for controversies. First it was war between the serial's director and writer, now it's the lead actors who are at loggerheads with each other. Narendra Jha who plays Ravan, and Ravee Gupta, who plays his mother in the serial, can't see eye to eye. Apparently, it's the age factor that's irritating Ravee. Ravee is 12 years younger than Narendra and this seems to have triggered off an awkwardness between the two. "Ravee says that she finds it uncomfortable to address me as 'putra' in the show. And I don't really blame her," confesses Narendra.  

For the actors to portray the mother-son relationship, through Keksi and Ravan was a dream. "It was great when I first heard the role. But at that time the producer and director had told me that most of Keksi's scenes would be shot in flashback. I wouldn't have to shoot with Narendra. So I was cool with it. But the scenario changed when we started shooting. Not only were we shooting together all the time, we were also actually playing mother and son," informs Ravee.

The actress says that she is apprehensive about playing an older woman. "The garish make-up and the uncomfortable body language scares me," she says. "I even told the makers of the show that my apprehensions might come across in my performance. But I must add that things fell in place gradually, as we progressed."
 Narendra too agree that in the scenes where he has to put his head on her lap and act like her son, he too feels a bit uncomfortable. "But we're actors and can't afford to complain as this is what our job is all about," he says.

~www.mumbaimirror.com