Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

What difference would it have made if we continued to believe that the sun revolves around the earth and not otherwise?
They threw Galileo in jail when he propounded the theory...people laughed at the absurdness of the thought...

Today when a respected physicist like Stephen Hawking makes a statement..and I quote..." Sooner or later disasters such as an asteroid collision or a nuclear war could wipe us all out......But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe"... there will be no dearth of people who will laugh at him and the absurdness of his statement...

But we shouldnt forget that it only till a few decades ago people would have laughed if they were told that one day everyone will be carrying a cell phone...they would have called it a silly fantasy from a science fiction....

The innate human desire to learn more, to see more, to explore the unknown has never been and will never be bogged down by a petty reason like logic...

And with a quote from the " father of astronomy" himself...I rest my case..

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same
God who has endowed us with sense, reason and
   intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

β€”Galileo

Majority thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Since the majority are arguing for continued space exploration, I shall do so against ... (and shockingly for once, Abhijit and I are on the same side)

Space exploration is a useless quest for the following reasons:-

1. My first reason is that meaningful space exploration - that is exploration of other star systems and other galaxies - will forever be beyond our reach. The reason is the limitation imposed by the speed of light.

So if we know we can't do it, isn't it meaningless to even try?

2. My second reason is to do with material resources which has already been mentioned by my learned friend Abhijit Shukla and restating them would be improper utilisation of bandwidth.

3. My third reason has to do with focus. Space exploration takes away the focus from co-operation between peoples and countries and brings in a sense of "them versus us". One solitary International Space Station will never negate all the baggage we carry.

4. My fourth and final point provides a solution to the space-exploration die-hards. If you must know about space, read Aurthur C Clarke and Isaac Asimov. Science fiction is far far more interesting than interpreting the complex math required to understand what lies inside a comet's tail.
sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

sach hue sapne tere

jhoom le o man mere!

chikichiki chik cha.......

At this rate, I am wondering when you are going to hit the antaraπŸ˜†

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
"The big question though is that why is India so keen to join the elite group when there is already a vast knowledge base available and that countries like Russia and US have cut their Moon missions. Experts point out that one of the major reasons could be energy independence. Even if India wants to build solar power stations in space to meet its energy needs, you need humans there to assemble the solar panels. Scientists believe that the Moon has about a million tonne of helium-3 - enough to satisfy Earth's energy needs for thousands of years. They are also looking at harvesting solar power from the moon. According to scientists, harnessing just 1% of the moon's solar energy could replace all of the fossil fuel power plants on Earth.

Therefore, these findings have generated a new interest in the Moon."

Source: Destination Moon, but what for? http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id =148622

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

sach hue sapne tere

jhoom le o man mere!

chikichiki chik cha.......

Oh no😲!This is not good for DM. You guys look better this way

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Oh no😲!This is not good for DM. You guys look better this way

Maya Ji!! But peace doves like you are restoring the peace in the forum and making this place unhappier place for people like me.

Majority thumbnail

Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

Maya Ji!! But peace doves like you are restoring the peace in the forum and making this place unhappier place for people like me.

To the young lecturer from Hyd and to the Biotechnical Scientist from across the Atlantic ... 😑 😑
MNMS thumbnail
WHAT WHAT WHAT.......... both are 😲..... Very bad ...21st century Uncles don't show this patch-up agreeing behaviour πŸ˜†

Ahem... Jatayu Uncle.. as Mythili was taking hard on students... and .. poor students πŸ˜‰ ..are now relieved πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† ..She is no more an USTANI!! πŸ˜› .. but poor Mythili's new co-workers...tsk tsk πŸ˜› MAy God bless them
Majority thumbnail

Originally posted by: MNMS

WHAT WHAT WHAT ... both are 😲 ... Very bad ... 21st century Uncles don't show this patch-up agreeing behaviour πŸ˜† Ahem ... Jatayu Uncle ... as Mythili was taking hard on students ... and ... poor students πŸ˜‰ ..are now relieved πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† ... She is no more an USTANI!! πŸ˜› ... but poor Mythili's new co-workers ... tsk tsk πŸ˜› May God bless them

I suppose they're safe so long as Myth of Hyd doesn't lecture them on space exploration πŸ˜†
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jatayu

I suppose they're safe so long as Myth of Hyd doesn't lecture them on space exploration πŸ˜†

Will come back later with detailed reply on Space explorations!!! Right now in office.Will edit this post later...