Frequent Posters

MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
old_charm thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: history_geek

The answer to your question is YES and this is an interesting question in itself. Various events are related to this. But here is what happened after Aurangzeb's death.

Aurangzeb died on 20 (or 21/22) February 1707 at Ahmednagar.
His son Azam Shah proclaimed himself Emperor on 5th March 1707.
Shahu ji met him on 13th march 1707.

Several Rajput chiefs who were in attendance supported the cause of release of Shahu ji. Along with that, Shahu ji made a friend in Zulfikar Khan, he also pleaded on his behalf. Azam outwardly showed that he will release Shahu Ji. But he did not act in this direction.

Instead, he moved towards Delhi to fight his brother Shah Alam who was coming from Lahore to capture the treasury & throne at Delhi. He carried Shahu ji along with him. As the distance from his native land increased, and as they moved closer to Delhi and crossed the Narmada river, Shahu ji began to grow restless.

Again, the help came from the guardian angel Zinat un Nissa Begum. She asked Shahu ji to at once leave the camp and run away. She also loaded him with various gifts. Shahuji ran on 8th May 1707. His wife, mother, others were left behind.

Mughal version says he ran away.
Maratha version says he returned after due permission.

Hence, we can say he was "released" on 8th May 1707.
The negotiation was continuing since 1704 but came into actual implementation in 1707. We shall discuss all of that, if the makers decide to show what all happened between 1704 and 1707.

thanx abhay , thanx for responding .

its an interesting piece , shahuji's courage & spirit is commendable...😃
Priyaadarshini thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: _goofyCat_

Abhay,

Did Sambhaji Raje had any other (legitimate) wife than Yesu Bai? I don't remember reading about any.

Yes sambhaji raje had another wife. Her name was Durga Bai.
When sambhaji raje joined mughals in his rage , Durga Bai (his wife) and sakhu Bai (his elder sister) were with him. Unfortunately though, he escaped but both of them were in  lifelong custody. He tried multiple times to free them but couldn't
Priyaadarshini thumbnail

Originally posted by: MaddyO

Abhay WOW!  Thanks a lot for such long descriptive post, you answered all my questions.  Though of course I will love to read about these events in greater detail from you.

I feel very glad to know about Bhavani Bai, though sad to know about other daughters.  Somehow since Shivaji Maharaj had named her and she was the first grandchild had made me feel bad.

I did not know about Sambhaji Maharaj's another wife or children!

I wonder why Yesubai did not go Sati?  Maybe she was not allowed to being captive and also maybe she was worried about Shahuji's and other children's fate.

Sambhaji raje did not bow down in front of his enemy in the worst of conditions. How can she perform sati,then? She was brave, shivaji maharaj's favourite, who was working in administration in his times. Also because Marathas usually did not perform sati, apart from putlabai , I guess. And the fact , that she a woman was in confinement for them , made Marathas fight harder. 

You reminded me of an incident read in Shriman Yogi.  When Shivaji Maharaj escaped from Agra, he left Sambhaji Maharaj back in Mathura with Moropant Pingle's relatives/Kavi Kalash.  After Shivaji Maharaj came back to Raigad he had declared Sambhaji Raje had died in the journey - to avoid Aurangzeb's search.  Hearing this news Pilaji Shirke - Yesubai's father had gone to Raigad asking for Sambhaji Raje's sword so Yesubai can go Sati with it. 
Shivaji Maharaj had sworn Pilaji to secrecy and revealed the truth to him.  Jijabai was the only one to know the truth before.

Reading about Bhavani going sati reminded me about this incident.

Putalabai went Sati after Shivaji Maharaj's death though after sometime as she was not present on Raigad.

Shahuji married Sakwarbai Shirke and Saguna bai Mohite.  Both such well known surnames from Maratha history.  Yesubai's maternal surname was Shirke and Mohite was Habirrao Mohite/Soyra bai's maternal surname.  Maybe they were from the same families.

Shocking!  What an idiotic promise/vachan to give and to stand by it after Aurangzeb's death?!!!  To a man who kept him and his entire family captured for decades and had Sambhaji Raje killed tortuously!  
Remembered Shivaji Maharaj's words he betrayed his enemies but never his friends.  Wish Shahuji had understood this!  He should have let Bajirao have free run.

I hope we get to see about this rescue by Balaji and Bajirao in PB serial.
Truly they do not need to make up stuff since Bajirao's and Balaji's life is filled with such incredible history and events.

Abhay thanks again, I am so eagerly looking forward the Shivaji Maharaj's navy thread. 😃

BTW does your blog have post about Zinat un Nissa Begum?  I remember you mentioned it on earlier thread but did not find it easily on blog.  I want to  read  Aurangzeb and valentine day post too 😆

Btw, do you know about serial " shrimant peshwa bajirav mastani" . It was in Marathi. 
Edited by luvuyuvi - 7 years ago
MaddyO thumbnail

Originally posted by: luvuyuvi

Yes sambhaji raje had another wife. Her name was Durga Bai.
When sambhaji raje joined mughals in his rage , Durga Bai (his wife) and sakhu Bai (his elder sister) were with him. Unfortunately though, he escaped but both of them were in  lifelong custody. He tried multiple times to free them but couldn't

TFS. 😊  I guess this was when Sambhaji Raje was asked to go to Parali and he went but Samarth Ramdas Swami was not there and he joined Mugals.  This was big blunder of his.  Sad to know about Sakhubai and Durgabai.

I guess Durga Bai information is in Chhava, it is not in Shriman Yogi.
I did not know about Sakhubai being in captivity all her life. 

MaddyO thumbnail
Btw, do you know about serial " shrimant peshwa bajirav mastani" . It was in Marathi. 

Was this the one where Manoj Joshi (Chanakya of Ashoka) was Bajirao and Ashwini Bhave was Mastani?  I have heard about it, I think it was made by Smita Talwalkar.

goofyCat thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Very informative posts and interesting discussions here 👏 Thanks Abhay. This is exactly what I was looking for and I hope the serial details all these events.

@Maddy, wouldn't it have been impossible for Yesu Bai to go Sati after Sambhaji's capture and torturous death? Shahu must have been very young that time, and so would be Rajaram.. The moral of army and all ministers would be very much down. Had Yesu Bai surrendered herself in that situation, the young princes would have been left without any support. I feel bad for the fate that Yesu Bai met, specially when compared to Tarabai. She was favourite of Shivaji maharaj, who considered her like his own daughter.

@luvyuvi, thanks for the information about Sambhaji's other wife. I can recall a few things now. I had read a book on Sambhaji, 'Sambhaji' by Vishwas Patil. Not as great as Shroman Yogi or Chava, but details a lot on Sambhaji's life.
harshu27 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Was this the one where Manoj Joshi (Chanakya of Ashoka) was Bajirao and Ashwini Bhave was Mastani?  I have heard about it, I think it was made by Smita Talwalkar.

i too have heard abt dis shw  i guess once i happened to see its promo...while randomly changing d chnnl...😃
Priyaadarshini thumbnail

No, I was talking about the one where angad mhaskar played bajirav..it was airing on etv marathi. Some 5-6 years ago. It was praised by pratibha tai patil.😊
Priyaadarshini thumbnail

TFS. 😊  I guess this was when Sambhaji Raje was asked to go to Parali and he went but Samarth Ramdas Swami was not there and he joined Mugals.

Yes... He couldn't understand the motives of shivaji maharaj.
  This was big blunder of his.
Yeah...going against his father and that too with mughals
  Sad to know about Sakhubai and Durgabai.

I guess Durga Bai information is in Chhava, it is not in Shriman Yogi.
Yes , I too wasn't sure , whether it is in chhava or shriman yogi or some other book.
I did not know about Sakhubai being in captivity all her life. 
Yes. He must have regretted this his whole life.especially cause she was married, someone else's amaanat. One of his very important man sacrificed his life while trying to free these two ladies...

Previous
1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25
Next