Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: sweet_diksha

Thanks Abhay...

the info abt this Nasir , that I know, is that he too died at early age like Bajirao, that is around 40...and his death year is said to be 1750/51...and he was Nizam only for abt 2 years... till then his father Qamruddin , himself was Nizam...when Nasir became Nizam, Bajirao's elder son, Balaji Bajirao i.e. Nanasaheb had become Peshva...

Nasir died childless, and then some Sarfaraz became Nizam...

Diksha,
Thanks for sharing these details.

I got more information on Nasir. He had 5 brothers and 2 sisters. He was the 2nd in line and his eldest brother stayed in Delhi at the Mughal Court with the Emperor. And Nasir himself stayed in Deccan with his father. The doubt on date of birth as well as date of death continues.

He rebelled against his own father and both father and son came to Peshwa Nana Saheb appealing for help in 1741 !! Nasir was defeated and imprisoned. Later he was released after his wives intervened and requested Qamruddin on his behalf. Nasir led his life, more or less, like a "Fakir" after this event!

I am going to post a blog on the war between Nasir & Bajirao in some time and more details will be given in that post. Will share the link soon.

Persian writers have described him as a brave and capable person. He is described as a protector of Islam, someone who did his best to uphold the Sharia't ,  and after his death, was proclaimed a "martyr" !

Could not read much about his early life as i do not understand Persian completely. However, it was described that since an early age he displayed all qualities of excessive valor and was always in sight of "capturing large territories" .

References to Nasir Jang are also found in the history of Bengal where Nawab Alivardi Khan compares him with Siraj ud daula (Those who have read about the Battle of Plassey 1757, will understand.) There are scattered references to him in various Persian accounts. Found tough to get information.

The.Lannister thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
We have talked about Shanivaar Wada in the previous pages. Here is a picture which I found on TW of the same. The English concluding a treaty in 1790. Originally posted by @ananadascoomara

Portrait of Balaji Vishwanath:

history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: MaddyO

Abhay, I read and really enjoyed your blog about the famous Surat episode.

Surat was financial hub of Mughal empire.  Looting it was a big insult to Aurangzeb.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think Surat 2nd mohim was after Aurangzeb destructed the Kashi Vishwanath temple.

After Sinhgad was back with Marathas, Surat was to send another message to Mughals.

If I remember correctly, Shivaji Maharaj did not spare the British on this Surat mohim.  The reason was British had supplied canons to Siddi Johar against Marathas.  Shivaji Maharaj was angry with British about their political interference.  So their "vakhar" or godowns were not spared.

Shivaji Maharaj had recognized the importance of strong Navy to counter growing British presence and the advantage they enjoyed due to strong naval force.  Shivaji Maharaj built Sindhudurg sea fort and also had other sea forts which he won and rebuilt/fortified, he also had started building ships.

The treasure from Surat was loaded onto these ships and brought back via sea route.

Abhay, if you have information about Shivaji Maharaj's navy and sea ports he built will you please share it?  He was so astute about British and the threat they represented.

I have read Shivaji Maharaj had given strict instructions when he went to Agra that work on Sindhudurg should not be stopped even if there were financial difficulties, that was priority.

Maddy,
These events happened in quick succession. Kashi Vishwanath Temple destruction, capturing of Singhagad, and then the second sack of Surat !

You may be right that he attacked the English as a revenge for helping the Siddis! But i can not recollect it. From what i have read, Marathas attacked British, but were not able to get successful and lost many men. They attacked it second time again the next day but were not successful and finally reached an understanding that they should be left alone.

The Dutch were not touched. Shivaji had sent them a messenger that if they remain quiet they will not be harmed. And they promised that they will not interfere. Neither against the Marathas and nor in favor.

The Marathas attacked the English yet again on the third day in a row! They wanted revenge as lot of their men had fallen to the heavy firing from the British side on the first day. This time, the English understood that fighting was not beneficial. They sent an envoy to Shivaji with some presents, etc. Shivaji relented and assured that they won't be harmed and were his friends!

Shivaji did not attack the factories of English, French and the Dutch. There were rumors in Mughal court that these 3 foreign powers had joined hands secretly with Shivaji! If you have read my blog on first sack of Surat, there it is mentioned that Aurangzeb rewarded the British for their stand against the Marathas after the first sack, but after this sack, he did not reward any foreign power as there was a suspicion of them being hand in glove with Shivaji.

Will share information about Shivaji if i get more on his Navy. Right now, only scattered reading. I have read that he had around 2 or 300 {can't remember the number. 200/300 came in my mind} ships / boats in his Navy. He is celebrated as Father of Indian Navy.

MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: history_geek

Maddy,
These events happened in quick succession. Kashi Vishwanath Temple destruction, capturing of Singhagad, and then the second sack of Surat !

You may be right that he attacked the English as a revenge for helping the Siddis! But i can not recollect it. From what i have read, Marathas attacked British, but were not able to get successful and lost many men. They attacked it second time again the next day but were not successful and finally reached an understanding that they should be left alone.

The Dutch were not touched. Shivaji had sent them a messenger that if they remain quiet they will not be harmed. And they promised that they will not interfere. Neither against the Marathas and nor in favor.

The Marathas attacked the English yet again on the third day in a row! They wanted revenge as lot of their men had fallen to the heavy firing from the British side on the first day. This time, the English understood that fighting was not beneficial. They sent an envoy to Shivaji with some presents, etc. Shivaji relented and assured that they won't be harmed and were his friends!

Shivaji did not attack the factories of English, French and the Dutch. There were rumors in Mughal court that these 3 foreign powers had joined hands secretly with Shivaji! If you have read my blog on first sack of Surat, there it is mentioned that Aurangzeb rewarded the British for their stand against the Marathas after the first sack, but after this sack, he did not reward any foreign power as there was a suspicion of them being hand in glove with Shivaji.

Will share information about Shivaji if i get more on his Navy. Right now, only scattered reading. I have read that he had around 2 or 300 {can't remember the number. 200/300 came in my mind} ships / boats in his Navy. He is celebrated as Father of Indian Navy.

Abhay I read recently that Shivaji Maharaj's navy had more than 400 ships!  He was so far sighted to recognize British and Portuguese growing meddling and need to counter them.

Will try to post more about what I have read.

BTW remember I mentioned that Tanaji Malusare used "ghorpad" a large mountain lizard by tying rope to it & using that to climb Sinhgad at night?  They are showing ghorpads in the recent episodes where Baji gets bitten by them and in today's episode fights them off!  Have never actually seen one, I wonder if they are extinct now?

history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: MaddyO

Abhay I read recently that Shivaji Maharaj's navy had more than 400 ships!  He was so far sighted to recognize British and Portuguese growing meddling and need to counter them.

Will try to post more about what I have read.

BTW remember I mentioned that Tanaji Malusare used "ghorpad" a large mountain lizard by tying rope to it & using that to climb Sinhgad at night?  They are showing ghorpads in the recent episodes where Baji gets bitten by them and in today's episode fights them off!  Have never actually seen one, I wonder if they are extinct now?

Maddy,

I do not remember the number of ships. 200 / 300 came in my mind that time randomly, as i mentioned. Today only, I got some information about Shivaji's naval enterprises, which is nothing less than a goldmine. I will post it soon. Meanwhile, you also continue sharing your thoughts / readings.

After seeing these monitor lizards in the show i was thinking about you only (i mean that discussion). Lol

I remember the story about the monitor lizard which you mentioned in previous pages. I forgot to thank you for those excellent translation of lines from Marathi to English and also the detailed narration of that event. So, thank you. :)  The veracity of that story is contested by the historians. I am not sure of it. So, didn't mention.

But to answer your question. They are very well present even now and are not extinct. Please see this article.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-4-feet-long-monitor-lizard-rescued-1825012

4-feet-long monitor lizard rescued

"" These reptiles are a regular sight at Mulund and BARC colony areas. Monitor lizards, also known as Ghorpad in Marathi, are becoming a regular sight at Mulund's Yogi Hills and BARC colony areas. On Saturday, animal rescuers rescued a 4 feet long monitor lizard from the colony after few morning walkers found it wandering into areas where the residents stay.

The area incidentally shares boundaries with the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivli.

"We saw a lizard and mistook it for a baby crocodile due to its appearance. It crawled away as soon as we tried to reach it and hid behind the trees. We then called the wildlife rescuers so they could release it in back into the forest or it would have been attacked by other animals," said Rakesh Shetty, a resident of Mulund Colony.

According to Pawan Sharma, wildlife rescuer and founder of RAWW, an NGO, the lizards are becoming common sights in the colonies and human habitats across Mulund and Thane that share boundaries with the forest.

"Due to encroachments, they enter human habitats. Though they won't attack humans upfront, if chased, they can bite. Since their saliva carries a certain kind of bacteria, it can prove fatal for humans as the bitten part can become gangrenous. They are also known to attack with their tails which can cause paralysis in humans," said Sharma, who has rescued around 45 such lizards in the past year from the area and its surrounding parts.

These lizards are common in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and they live on beetles, ground dwelling birds and occasionally climb trees to feed on eggs. They come under Schedule I of the the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, which provides absolute protection to the species.

Legend has it that an adult monitor lizard was also used by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj for climbing the sides of a fort's wall as they are said to have a firm grip and can climb any surface without any support or efforts.
""

This article says that these reptiles are a regular sight at some areas, near Mumbai !!

history_geek thumbnail

I have made a IInd thread.
Please join the discussions on that thread too.

Topic:

An account of the Victory of Peshwa Bajirao over Nasir Jung

With Allusions to Mastani, Chimaji , Nana Saheb & Brahm Swami

There are over half a dozen letters translated from Marathi into English, quoted in this post.

Link to forum thread:
Account of Victory of Peshwa Bajirao over Nasir Jung
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4804485

Direct Link to the Post :
Click Here to Read

This thread will continue as it was continuing.
I made another thread because this was a new blog post.

RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
^Yes. Some people have seen Monitor lizard in Mulund. I have my college there and have heard about it from friends. They are also spotted it hilly regions of Sanjay Gandhi National Park. So they do exist but are rarely spotted
Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
thanks for various kind of info n historical info shared
also pics shared
whose potrait is that signing treaty?
is it madhaorao? 
Edited by Marathi_Mulgi - 7 years ago
MaddyO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: history_geek

Maddy,

I do not remember the number of ships. 200 / 300 came in my mind that time randomly, as i mentioned. Today only, I got some information about Shivaji's naval enterprises, which is nothing less than a goldmine. I will post it soon. Meanwhile, you also continue sharing your thoughts / readings.

Abhay, waiting eagerly for your post about Shivaji Maharaj's navy.  Please make a separate thread for that.

I read the navy had between 400-700 ships and of various different types.

After seeing these monitor lizards in the show i was thinking about you only (i mean that discussion). Lol

I remember the story about the monitor lizard which you mentioned in previous pages. I forgot to thank you for those excellent tranlation of lines from Marathi to English and also the detailed narration of that event. So, thank you. :)  The veracity of that story is contested by the historians. I am not sure of it. So, didn't mention.

You are always welcome no thanks necessary 😃  I wrote after reading your post about Sinhagad and Tanaji Malusare, who would have guessed they would actually bring the ghorpads here in the serial!  😆

But to answer your question. They are very well present even now and are not extinct. Please see this article.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-4-feet-long-monitor-lizard-rescued-1825012

4-feet-long monitor lizard rescued

"" These reptiles are a regular sight at Mulund and BARC colony areas. Monitor lizards, also known as Ghorpad in Marathi, are becoming a regular sight at Mulund's Yogi Hills and BARC colony areas. On Saturday, animal rescuers rescued a 4 feet long monitor lizard from the colony after few morning walkers found it wandering into areas where the residents stay.

The area incidentally shares boundaries with the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivli.

"We saw a lizard and mistook it for a baby crocodile due to its appearance. It crawled away as soon as we tried to reach it and hid behind the trees. We then called the wildlife rescuers so they could release it in back into the forest or it would have been attacked by other animals," said Rakesh Shetty, a resident of Mulund Colony.

According to Pawan Sharma, wildlife rescuer and founder of RAWW, an NGO, the lizards are becoming common sights in the colonies and human habitats across Mulund and Thane that share boundaries with the forest.

"Due to encroachments, they enter human habitats. Though they won't attack humans upfront, if chased, they can bite. Since their saliva carries a certain kind of bacteria, it can prove fatal for humans as the bitten part can become gangrenous. They are also known to attack with their tails which can cause paralysis in humans," said Sharma, who has rescued around 45 such lizards in the past year from the area and its surrounding parts.

These lizards are common in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and they live on beetles, ground dwelling birds and occasionally climb trees to feed on eggs. They come under Schedule I of the the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, which provides absolute protection to the species.

Legend has it that an adult monitor lizard was also used by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj for climbing the sides of a fort's wall as they are said to have a firm grip and can climb any surface without any support or efforts.
""

Heard this story from childhood it is frequently mentioned when Sinhgad is discussed.

This article says that these reptiles are a regular sight at some areas, near Mumbai !!

OMG!  There are actual 4 feet lizards around!  Photo is scary I hope to never run into one!  Even the normal wall lizard is   Not a big fan of beetles also, they are ok as long as they don't  suddenly decide to dive down! 😳😆
Glad Ghorpads are not extinct though.  Thanks for sharing the article and story.

history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: Marathi_Mulgi

thanks for various kind of info n historical info shared

also pics shared
whose potrait is that signing treaty?
is it madhaorao? 

Welcome.

It is a representation of the delivery of the ratified Treaty of 1790 by Sir Malet Bart to Peshwa Madrav Rao II, in full Durbar as held upon that occasion at Poona (Pune) on 6 July 1790.

Posted here too. The details of that painting along with a better quality picture.
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/140414823