Asit Modi : Late Jatin Kanakia Was the First Choice for Jetha's Role

terenaam_ahm thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
More Interesting Facts About Taarak Mehta...' Revealed!

Small screen popular comedy show, Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah' recently completed its 2000 episodes. The show which premiered on 28th July 2008 has also entered into its ninth year.

Asit Modi opened up about some interesting facts about the show and his personal life.

I was very naughty during my childhood days:

I was born in Pune, Maharashtra on 24th December 1966 and was brought up in Mumbai. In my childhood days, I was very naughty. In fact, I see myself in Tapu (Bhavya Ghandhi) from Gokuldham Society. It was very easy for me to pen down Tapu's character since I feel that Tapu is the replica of me

Dad used to watch every single episode of Taarak Mehta...'

My dad, Hasmukh Lal used to work in the company named, Indian Oil Corporation. He died in 2011. He used to watch every single episode of Taarak Mehta and we used to discuss the show in the night. He was a big inspiration for me. Mother, Lata Modi is a housewife. She used to make me read a lot during my childhood days. I am reading the newspaper since I was 9 years old. (Asit Modi has one younger brother who working in an insurance company.)

Son, Ishank Modi is inspired by me:

My son, Ishank Modi is 19 years old and he wants to join my company. He is a very creative boy. Daughter, Mansi Modi is 13 years old and is currently studying in 8th standard. She is a big follower of 'Taarak Mehta'. In fact, she shouts at me if there is any mistake in the show. Wife, Neelam Modi is a big support to him.

PM Narendra Modi and Asit Modi belong to the same village:

Asit Modi's native place is Vadnagar, Gujarat. His house is just 5 minutes away from PM Narendra Modi's house. Asit Modi says, "There are lots of memories attached to my native place. I remember, we had a small library there and I used to visit that place regularly."

Was fond of drama since childhood days:

During my schooling days, I used to participate in curricular activities like drama and debate and that helped me a lot in fulfilling my dreams of seeing myself as a creative person. Also, I won lot of prizes in drama during my college days. In fact, I never aimed to become a director. I wanted to see myself as an actor. But seems like, destiny had something better stored for me. Also, I was always keen in reading about Gujarati literature and Indian social workers.

Faced lot of opposition from my family members:

None of my family members are associated with the creative work. So, when I expressed my feeling to make a career in theatre, I faced lot of opposition from my family members. But my dad supported my dream. 
First salary was 700 a month:

Before joining this industry, I used to work in a Share market company. I have also worked under a Chartered Accountant where I was paid 700 a month. But somewhere, I was not happy with the job. Finally, I quit my job and decided to follow my dream. At that time, I did not get much support from my family people. I started the journey of theatre all alone.

Directed few shows before entering into production:

I directed few theatre shows and also worked in a production company. I produced my first Guajarati show, Miyaa Fuski. My first show as a producer was Hum Sab Ek Hain' in 1998 which was a hit show on television. Later on, I produced other shows like Meri Biwi Wonderful, Ye Duniya hai Rangeen, Saarthi, Krishnaben Khakrawala, Hamari Saas Leela and Wah Wah Kya Baat Hain.

Late Jatin Kanakia wanted to play Jethalal's character in the show:

Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah started in 2008. But the first thought about this show came in 2001. Ator Jatin Kanakia, who is no more, had asked me to make a TV show out of a popular Gujarati magazine, Ye Duniya Ne Ooltah Chashmah. He wanted to play the character of Jethalal in it. I got the rights of the show in 2002. I wanted to make this show for Disney channel. But somehow, it did not work. And then, Sab TV got launched, I went ahead to make it for this channel.

Never imagined that I would make Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah'

I used to read this column since my childhood days. But I never imagined that I would get an opportunity to make a show out of it. I took it as a challenge. Initially, the real Taarak Mehta (author of the magazine) was not happy with the changes I had done in my show. Actor Dilip Joshi aka Jethalal used to read this column and so lot of discussion happened with him before making this project. Apart from Dilip Joshi, every actor who joined my team was new to the television.

Shailesh Lodha aka Taarak Mehta travelled from Jodhpur to Mumbai for 2 years:

Shailesh Lodha used to stay in Jodhpur. For the initial two years, he used to travel from Jodhpur to Mumbai for the shoot. He used to shoot for five days in Mumbai and rest two days, he used to spend it Jodhpur. 

Suffered a great loss:

I suffered a great loss in the initial stage of the show. Since, it had so many characters; I paid it from my pocket. 

Fond of Gujarati food:

Dhokla, Fafda and Daal vada are my all-time favorite. If cannot resist without them. I won't leave Gujarat without having these three foods.

Loves cooking:

I love cooking too. I make dal, sabzi but cannot make rotis. I can also make 4 to 5 different types of khichdi.

Planning to make a film:

Asit Modi is now planning to make films. So far, he has not thought about a particular concept. He is keen to make an entertaining film with lot of emotions in it.
Edited by terenaam_ahm - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Guru86 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thank god.asit modi did not become an actor.ab smjh me aa rha hai ki show me fafda dhokla word itna kyu use hota hai.
Ratikal thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
So the cedit goes to Jatin for the show, he put the idea in Asit's mind and he wanted to play Jetha.
Hum sab ek hain was a good show..used to wait for it..