Srirama,Arjuna The Greatest Archers

ltelidevara thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 7 years ago
Who is greater Rama or Arjuna? One fellow member posted the topic.
Ramya asked me. I said I can't judge. But then I thought about that only.
The question doesn't leave me. I worship Sriram.He is Maryada Purushottam.
I adore Arjun,since childhood. Infact I am obsessed about Arjun,
I never compared them both. While Rama is Vishnu incarnate,Arjun is Narottam.
So is it possible for me to judge them on the basis of their archery skills?
I tried my best. I don't know if I succeeded or not. But atleast I attempted.

I analysed them on the basis of their achievements,since the begining.
I did not let any bias towards either of them hinder my analysis.

Sriram  got educated by Vasishta in the begining.
Viswamithra polished his skills by instructing him Bala Atibala.and other Devine Astras.

Arjun 's first Guru is Kripacharya if we  don't take into consideration the initiation done by Satasringa sages.Any way by the time Arjun comes to Hastinapur he must be a toddler who sits on the lap of Bheeshma.
Then came Drona who is Arjun's preceptor in the real sense. Arjun mastered archery,learnt to shoot in darkness,and practiced shooting with both arms.

In a way Viswamitra asking Rama to kill the demons and protect his yaga can be considered as gurudakshina.Rama 's first battle and he came up with flying colours.He killed Taraka,Subahu and threw Maricha far away into the ocean.

Arjun's first battle is with King Drupada who was  assisted by Satyajit another reputed warrior.Arjun displayed his exceptional skills and captured Drupada. The Gurudakshina offered much to the delight of his teacher.Arjun is in teens like Rama.
Both of them proved their invincibility with the bow. One in Treta yug and another in Dwapar yug.

Surprisingly both of them got their brides by passing the test prescribed in the Swayamvar.
Sri Ram broke the Siva Dhanush that no one can even lift it up.
Arjun hit the fish target  He exhibited his perfect eyesight,and marvellous shooting skills.He achieved the feat with mathematical precision while others failed to even tie up the string.

Rama tackled Parasurama who challenged him by taking the Vishnu Dhanush from him.
Arjun defeated the kings who attacked him after he won using the same bow and arrows.
His arch rival Karna left the battle admitting the invincibility of his opponent.

Here Bala Kanda ends . Rama is established as the great archer with astounding skill with the bow.
In Ayodhya Kanda Rama did not get a chance to explore his skills.

Arjun in Adiparva still has the Khandava Dahan battle to prove his prowess in archery,
He gets Gandiva from Agnidev and along with Krishna fights the gods of quarters.
His opponent was none other than his father Indra .The commander of Devas Kartikeya also 
Stood against Arjun. After a fierce battle Indra admits defeat and blesses Arjun.Even though Krishna is there fighting on one side Vyasa described Arjun as the one who prevented Indra from obstructing Agnideva to consume Khandav van.

Afterwards Arjun's northern conquest during Rajasuya proved him  as the foremost warrior.He brought so much money as tributes and got the name Dhananjay.

In Aranya Kanda Srirama fights singlehandedly with Khar,Dushan and their fourteen thousand demons standing on the ground.Within two hours he kills all of them . The finest exhibition of archery skills without the aid of anyone.
In Aranya Parva Arjun goes to Indralok to get Astras.I am not describing his fight with Mahadev here though I know that is his greatest achievement as Devon Ka Dev tested his skills.
Arjun was asked by Indra to defeat sixty thousand Demons,nivata Kavachas Kalakeyas. He got no army but he drove in the chariot driven by Matali Indra's charioteer.The demons know so many illusions and Arjun tackled them and killed them singlehandedly. Ofcourse Arjun at his best.Archery skills of Arjun once again won laurels.
In Aranya Kanda Rama punishes Jayanta who becomes a crow and troubles Sita.Jayanth did not get respite till he offers his eye as the target to Rama's Astra.That is the power of Rama's Astra. Once released it will never fail to hit.

In Kishkindha Kanda Rama befriended Sugriva and killed Vali.Before that Sugriv doubts Rama's skills but Rama proved himself with Saptatala prabhedan.Rama pierces seven palm trees with one arrow at the same place.Outstanding marksmanship Hail Sriram.
Then he kills Vali instantly standing behind a tree.The explanation given to Vali by Rama for doing so is so apt and true. He punished a vanar who is unrighteous.He has every right to do so.

Arjun in Aranya Parv got another chance to prove himself. The Ghosha Yatra.Arjun defeated Chitrasen Gandharv by breaking his illusion.He released Duryothan from him.
Jayathrath who abducted Draupadi has to submit  before Pandavas because of Arjun who stopped him from moving further even though he  had already gone so far.

Before the final battle Rama's face off with the Ocean God shows his awesome skills as an archer.
Rama gets angry on Samudra Dev and fixes the arrow on his bow.Samudradev begs pardon but Rama's arrow can not be taken back.So Samudra Dev asked Rama to kill the demons who dwell under the ocean.

In Virat Parv We see Arjun the archer par excellence who singlehandedly tackled and defeated the Maharadhis of Hastinapur with Uttar as his charioteer. It was an unparalleled feat as the whole Kaurava army with the Maharathis had  to return to Hastinapur without the cattle.

The final battle .Rama assisted by Lakshman,Hanuman,Sugriva
The final battle Arjuna assisted by Bheema Satyaki Dhrisht.

The final battle Sivansh Hanuman stood by Rama every minute at every stage
The final battle Lord Krishna himself stood by Arjuna every minute at every stage,

When Ram and his followers swooned due to Indrajit's Nagastr Garuda comes and revive them.
When Karna releases Nagastr Krishna saves Arjun by pressing the chariot downwards.
Devine grace worked at both situations.

Hanuman brings Sanjivani to revive Lakshmana.
Krishna absorbs the Vaishnavastra from Bhagadutta and helps Arjun Otherwise Arjun has to counter it and universal destruction may happen with that collision .

The fourteenth day battle remains the most memorable as Arjun unleashed his fury caused due to Abhi's death by fighting with his full mettle.
We already found Rama battling the demons standing on the ground.
Now we see Arjun do the same inside the Sakata vyuha.
While Krishna tends the horses Arjun stands on the ground and fights the whole Kaurava army with their Maharadhis.He creates a lake for his horses to drink water  and relax.
We saw Rama throw Maricha so far away into the ocean
Arjun also throws the head of Jayathrath into the lap of Vriddhakshatra who is doing penance  at Samanta Panchak.away from Kurukshetr.

Rama 's expertise and superb skills were displayed in his battle with Ravan.
Such battle was never fought ever.That is why Alankarikas gave it as an example of
Ananvayalamkar where the subject will be compared with the subject itself.
Rama ravanayor yuddham Rama Ravana yoriva.
The battle between Rama and Ravana is like that of the battle between Rama and Ravana only.

On the otherhand the battle between Arjuna and Karna also stands high
As both the Warriors fought with every skill,every Astra and made it unique.
No other battle of Kurukshetra was witnessed by all the gods,demons every being including rivers etc,
Arjun fought with full vigour and energy. It is the most crucial battle he ever fought.
And it is not like what we watch in TV shows.I already described that in my post.

Conclusion: I don't want to judge their superior skills by comparing them both.
Both belonged to different yugas. Both elevated archery to the highest level.
While Rama's arrow can never miss the target Arjun's arrow hits the target always.
Both are conversant of the most powerful Astras that only they know with Prayoga upasamhara.
While Rama established Ramalingeswar Mahadev
Arjun got Mahadev's grace and Pasupat.
While Rama conquered Parasurama's energy,Arjun got applause from Parasuram.
While Pavan Putr Hanuman stood by Rama,Arjun was assisted by Pavan Putr Bheem.
Rama is Vishnu incarnate and Arjun's soulmate is Krishna,the Vishnu incarnate.

Finally I must say Vishnu tej reigned supreme in Tretayug as Rama and in Dwapar as Arjuna.
In Bhagavadgita Lord says.Ramah Sastrabhritamaham.I am Rama among weapon wielders.
But he also says Pandavanam Dhananjayah.I am Dhananjaya among Pandavas.
There lies the answer. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ramya_98 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Great analysis di! Never paid this much attention to the similarities these two warriors shared. The guru dakshina, the swayamwara, the grace of mahadev, the pawanputras as their allies.
I couldn't agree more!
ltelidevara thumbnail

Originally posted by: ramya06

Great analysis di! Never paid this much attention to the similarities these two warriors shared. The guru dakshina, the swayamwara, the grace of mahadev, the pawanputras as their allies.
I couldn't agree more!

Yes Ramya. When you asked me I thought all this and found it interesting to present the similarities. Credit goes to you.Thank you.
I felt immensely satisfied while writing this.Sriram and Arjun really are the greatest and at the same time so noble and kindhearted.Actually the topic has much more depth to analyse.It is a good topic for research scholars.
vinnas thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
wow just wow .very neatly explained the experiment like topic .never thought like before ya not exactly like this way but the points which mentioned here comes always in thoughts but never taken this perfect shape . thoroughly enjoyed it ..

kudos to you Lakshmi for thinking this most positive n possible way which paid the interest to know more interesting points in appreciating approach..

I would like to say sri Rama is the god who taken human form n Arjun is the human who achieved god as soulmate . most convincingly both of them complimenting each other with different time intervals. ...
ltelidevara thumbnail

I would like to say sri Rama is the god who taken human form n Arjun is the human who achieved god as soulmate . most convincingly both of them complimenting each other with different time intervals. ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well said Vinnas. Thanks for appreciation.
Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Fantastic analysis Lakshmi Didi😃Edited by Nonie12345 - 7 years ago
ltelidevara thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nonie12345

Fantastic analysis Lakshmi Didi😃

Thanks Nonie.