Reason for Angoori's baudam characterization?

Justitia thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
BGPH has its own comic elements right from Vibhuti and Tiwari wooing Angoori & Anita respectively, to Happu Singh's nyochhavar, to Saxena's madcap intelligence, to Laddoo's mischief, and Ammaji. Of course, Angoori is the star of the show. But, why derive humour by portraying her as a baudam? 
Angoori's innocence, simplicity, and naivety are the USPs of her personality. On the other hand, Anita is portrayed as a smart, ultra-modern alpha woman. As such, Anita and Angoori are polar opposites in every sense. So, in addition, why does Angoori need to be portrayed as a baudam (of all things)?

I'm not trying to sound like a feminazi here. I know that even Tiwari & Vibhuti are portrayed as opposites - a simplistic working man and a house husband, respectively. Despite this, neither Vibhuti nor Tiwari are portrayed as baudams - both are extremely smart in the ways of the world. Heck, even someone like Pelu seems smarter than Angoori. So, what is the need to portray Angoori as a baudam?

Is the show basically stating that women coming from rural village backgrounds are not as "smart" as sophisticated women hailing from big cities? Being innocent, naive, and simplistic - all that is completely acceptable. But a baudam? Like really? Angoori blindly worshipping Tiwari no matter what only reinforces the cultural stereotype of a traditional, cultured, Indian married woman - who has now also become a baudam. Is that what the makers really think of the women living in villages? I certainly fail to see the humour in such a situation. 

Accuse me of lacking a sense of humour but what is so funny about a woman openly displaying her stupidity and lack of common sense? We talk about female empowerment but Angoori's character IMO seems to be the exact opposite of that.

To be clear, I am old enough to have watched Shriman Shrimati when it aired on TV (the show whose concept of "love thy neighbour's wife" has been borrowed by BGPH). If Angoori is supposed to be the modern version of Reema Lagoo ji's character Koki, then it is an extremely poor and insulting effort. IIRC Reema Lagoo ji was extremely impressive in her performance and her character Koki was certainly NOT a baudam.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
In Shrimaan Shrimati, Prema was shown dumb who wore only western clothes n can't even speak hindi properly but Koki was shown as smart. Prema was tich being an movie actress. Here Anita is smart n can speak proper hindi but Angoori is shown as dumb n naive many times. Anita wears both Indian n western clothes n is middle-class woman instead of rich. In SS, Keshu always talked rudely wid Koki but in BGPH, Manmohan talks very nicely wid Angoori. We have romantic scenes of both d couples which we never had in Shrimaan Shrimati. In SS, Dilruba was unattractive but Keshu was attractive but in BGPH, Vibhuti was attractive but Manmohan is unattractive.Edited by angel_juhi04 - 7 years ago
begumparaa thumbnail
A bit of baudampana only adds on to the comedy - I don't think it is insulting to the woman

Baudam was there in Shriman Shrimati too.

Prema - ultra stylish + baudam
Koki - homely + sensible

Here it is

Angoori - homely + baudam
Anita - ultra stylish+sensible

gilly12 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I don't agree that there is any intention to show all village women dumb. Mother of Tiwary is not a stupid woman. Angoori is a unique character. She is simple and a simpleton. We should not generalize and judge, rather we should enjoy the comedy. Also this show does not have to copy Sriman Srimati in every respect. 
dey.bh thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
First,content wise this show is not anywhere close to Shriman Shrimat . Shriman Shrimati was far more clean and nice then this. Also, the tracks were not illogical.
Second, for anyone who has watched the show closely shall realise that  Angoori is not baudam because she is a village woman. In fact she is the only innocent and dumb person in her family.

I think the show has very general view about women. Anita or Angoori are poles apart only in their way of living. One is smart , educated, smart  and independent working woman while other is a typical cultured housewife. Yet both believe their husbands blindly. Anita is tricked by Vibhu as much as Angoori is tricked by Tiwari. Both will not listen a word against their husband. If Angoori sings ,' Hamra Pati Hamra devta hai' , Anita will say, ' Mera Vibhu mujhse kabhii jhooth nahi bolta'. The only difference is how they make their husband do a work. For Anita is the bread earner she uses direct force and Angoori needs to make a phone call to Ammaji. If Angoori listens to Ammaji's weird gharelu nuskas then Anita reads Chant saheli to enlighten herself. 

For me both the women are equally baudam.

Edited by dey.bh - 7 years ago
ibnbattuta thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Angoori's baudampana is the comic element of the show. 
Hello, how does it undermine women empowerment. What does this word even mean? That there are no stupid women in this world?