Meaning of the Mahabharata

abhijitbasu thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
I wonder how many Mbh lovers have read VS Sukthankar's On the Meaning of the Mahabharata. Vishnu Sukthankar was a leading authority on the Great Epic, and the illustrious Editor of the Critical Edition of the Bhandarkar Institute, Pune. 
The above book is a collection of his four lectures, covering:
  1. The Mbh and Its Critics
  2. The Story on the Mundane Plane
  3. The Story on the Ethical Plane
  4. The Story on the Metaphysical Plane.
The book is a veritable gem. In the space of just 150 or so pages, it conveys a fascinatingly holistic commentary on the true significance of the Great Epic of India. In particular, it demolishes many a facile interpretation offered by Western critics, who lack the special mental faculty needed to understand the subtle essence of the epic. 

Dr Sukthankar's short life (1887 - 1943) was a brilliantly productive one. Yet one wishes he had lived longer to lead us on to newer understandings of our epic heritage.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ltelidevara thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 8
Hello Sir Namaste.Nice to meet some one who reminds the Great Sukthankar whom I respect a lot.

I am fortunate to read the book you said " On The Meaning Of The Mahabharata " by the Great Sukhthankar. I respect his splendid contribution towards the creation of " BORI Critical Edition Of MBH"
Yes. He could have lived for more years.We would have been blessed with his insight and guidance towards our Epic treasure.
Of late there are many misinterpretations on the Epic that are misleading young minds into believing the right as wrong and wrong as right. The TV serials are adding fuel to it by showing the Epic charecters in poor light.
Sukthankar's book helps those who cherish the desire to understand the Epic in its true sense.
It helps us to tread nearer to Ved Vyasa's vision.
I would like to quote from On The Meaning of MBH about Arjuna  my all time hero.

" It is not sufficient to think of Arjuna as the Pandava Hero,and Krishna as the Yadava chieftain.
They should be regarded as Nara " The Man Par Excellence " and Narayana the Lord himself.
They should be identified as Jeevatma and Paramatma.
Infact there is no duality between them.That is why Krishna is one of the names of Arjuna."

amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank you Abhijit sir for mentioning this.
I had never heard of this book...but will certainly read it.
I have read about Sukhtankhar n his role in BORI's Critical Edition...n I would really love to read more of such research work...😊
abhijitbasu thumbnail
Originally posted by: ltelidevara

Hello Sir Namaste.Nice to meet some one who reminds the Great Sukthankar whom I respect a lot.

I am fortunate to read the book you said " On The Meaning Of The Mahabharata " by the Great Sukhthankar. I respect his splendid contribution towards the creation of " BORI Critical Edition Of MBH"
Yes. He could have lived for more years.We would have been blessed with his insight and guidance towards our Epic treasure.
Of late there are many misinterpretations on the Epic that are misleading young minds into believing the right as wrong and wrong as right. The TV serials are adding fuel to it by showing the Epic charecters in poor light.
Sukthankar's book helps those who cherish the desire to understand the Epic in its true sense.
It helps us to tread nearer to Ved Vyasa's vision.
I would like to quote from On The Meaning of MBH about Arjuna  my all time hero.

" It is not sufficient to think of Arjuna as the Pandava Hero,and Krishna as the Yadava chieftain.
They should be regarded as Nara " The Man Par Excellence " and Narayana the Lord himself.
They should be identified as Jeevatma and Paramatma.
Infact there is no duality between them.That is why Krishna is one of the names of Arjuna."

I agree. Given below is a summary of the book for the benefit of all lovers of our Great Epic:

A SHORT REVIEW OF VS SUKTHANKAR'S 'ON THE MEANINGS OF THE MAHABHARATA'
In the first chapter, Sukthankar discusses the bewildering array of facile (sometimes absurdly far-fetched) interpretations offered by Western critics, who lack the special mental faculty (one may call it the Oriental subtlety!) needed to appreciate, even comprehend, the delicate essence of the epic. After reading the chapter, one realises how misplaced were the efforts of some of the illustrious 'Indologists' of the last two centuries. For all his pioneering studies, Christian Lassen would have us believe that Krishna was inessential to the essence of the original epic. Sorensen clutched at the elusive straw of Jaya, the supposed warrior 'epic kernel' of 8800 slokas, and came up with an even shorter husk of 8000, through drastic pruning. Hopkins followed up on this 'atomistic' method and saw 'a nebulous mess of incongruities, anachronisms, accretions and interpolations!' In between them, Adolf Holtzmann had come up with his 'Inversion Theory', suggesting that originally the Kauravas were the virtuous side which, despite having been rejected by Sylvain Levi, Oldenberg, Hopkins et al, still seem to have some adherents. Only Dahlmann, the Jesuit scholar, saw in the epic an organic unity and homogeneity that was missed by many of his Western peers. Significantly, publication of the Critical Edition, of which Sukthankar himself was the pioneer-editor, effectively put an end to such free-wheeling interpretations!

Chapters 2, 3 and 4 cover the three layers of Interpretation which constitute the intuitive Indian ways of exploring the meaning of the epic. Oldenberg, for all his pronouncement of the epic as 'a chaos', rightly felt that in the Mbh "breathe the united soul of India and the individual souls of her people." Sukthankar agrees, yet adds that the Mbh is "more than all that." The three chapters present such a comprehensive and cogent analysis of the three levels of interpretation in such a tight manner that the best way to summarise the same would be to give the crux of the layered meanings as provided by Sukthankar himself in his retrospective end-note:

"In the course of these lectures it has been my endeavour to demonstrate that there are three clear perspectives from which the Mbh can be viewed. There is the matter-of-fact viewpoint. On this material or mundane plane, it is the lively story of a fierce war of annihilation said to be waged between two families of cousins,... a story which in all probability... has some historical basis, which is however, entirely in the background. On (this) plane, the main interest of the poem is centred on character. Next, there is... the Dharmic viewpoint. On this ethical plane, the war is regarded as a conflict between the principles of Dharma and Adharma, the Pandavas standing for Dharma, the Kauravas for Adharma, they being the incarnations of the Devas and the Asuras respectively, and the war ends in the victory of Dharma (yato dharmas tato jayah). There is, thirdly and lastly, the suggested transcendental or metaphysical viewpoint. ... On this transcendental plane, which is the viewpoint beyond Dharma and Adharma, beyond Good and Evil, the epic develops what may be termed the philosophy of the Self. In doing this, the epic poets stage a war between the Higher Self and the lower self of man, symbolised by the family of cousins, who are fighting for the sovereignty over the kingdom of the body. In this conflict the Superman (Nara, Arjuna as jeevaatma), under the guidance of the Superself (Narayana, Sri Krishna, as Paramaatma), realising the fundamental identity between the individual self (jeevaatma) and Superself (Paramaatma), cleaves with the sword of knowledge his own Ignorance. "

Edited by abhijitbasu - 7 years ago
ltelidevara thumbnail
Only Dahlmann, the Jesuit scholar, saw in the epic an organic unity and homogeneity that was missed by many of his Western peers. Significantly, publication of the Critical Edition, of which Sukthankar himself was the pioneer-editor, effectively put an end to such free-wheeling interpretations!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Absolute truth.Sukthankar's greatest contribution towards the Epic was the formation of critical Edition.He is right . The western scholars mostly lack the spiritual depth and clarity of vision to understand the soul of the Epic and the thought of the sage poet Ved Vyasa.

Still few scholars like Maxmuller,Winternitz and Warder made sincere effort to gauze through the vast Epic and grasp the essence.In Sukthankar's words " Mahabharata is a golden treasury of the ideals of the Indians at their best."

Sir,your short review really gives perfect insight into the body and soul of the book " On The Meaning Of Mahabharata.Precise,effective and thoughtful.It really helps those who want to know about the book.

The three perspectives of Sukthankar helps us to chose how to perceive the Epic depending upon our basic Charecter, ability. and  present mindset.
The matter of fact view point is adopted mostly nowadays you are right Sir this  is Charecter based study.
Dharma point of view is intended for intellectuals,I want to add not to pseudo intellectuals.

The meta physical view point is meant for those who can look beyond good and bad,dharma and Adharma as you rightly said.This is for those who would visualise the Narottam in Arjun and the Narayan in Krishna.

But these days people perceive Narottam as ordinary and Narayan as non existant.

Any way great review for a great book.
Immensely delighted as I am an admirer of Sukthankar. Thank you Sir.

Edited by ltelidevara - 7 years ago
abhijitbasu thumbnail
Originally posted by Itelidevara

Sir,your short review really gives perfect insight into the body and soul of the book " On The Meaning Of Mahabharata.Precise,effective and thoughtful.It really helps those who want to know about the book.

The three perspectives of Sukthankar helps us to chose how to perceive the Epic depending upon our basic Charecter, ability. and  present mindset.
The matter of fact view point is adopted mostly nowadays you are right Sir this  is Charecter based study.
Dharma point of view is intended for intellectuals,I want to add not to pseudo intellectuals.

The meta physical view point is meant for those who can look beyond good and bad,dharma and Adharma as you rightly said.This is for those who would visualise the Narottam in Arjun and the Narayan in Krishna.

But these days people perceive Narottam as ordinary and Narayan as non existant.

Any way great review for a great book.
Immensely delighted as I am an admirer of Sukthankar. Thank you Sir.

Very perspicacious comments. It's a joy to exchange notes with a serious student of the Mbh and of the grand work of Professor Sukthankar! You are a true seeker of the knowledge imparted by the Blessed Lord Shri Krishna. 
Edited by abhijitbasu - 7 years ago
ltelidevara thumbnail
Very perspicacious comments. It's a joy to exchange notes with a serious student of the Mbh and of the grand work of Professor Sukthankar! You are a true seeker of the knowledge imparted by the Blessed Lord Shri Krishna. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thank you Sir for your good words.Mahabharat is an ocean of knowledge .I hope I  will get to know the minutest  part of it atleast in my life time. I hope  I will get an opportunity to interact with you and enhance my knowledge.when time permits.
ltelidevara thumbnail
I always felt bad when I read Sukthankar passed away before delivering the fourth lecture
On the Meaning Of Mahabharata.
The university of Bombay invited Sukthankar to deliver four lectures on The Meaning of 
Mahabharata. Three lectures were delivered . The audience hailed the legendary writer
and awaited the Fourth and last lecture to be delivered .
Sukthankar did not reach the Lecture Hall . The audience received the shocking news 
that the Great Sukthankar was no more.
The lecture hall became the venue for a condolence meeting.
It was dedicated to the memory of the greatest devotee of the Epic.

The four lectures took the form of a book twelve years later.
And that masterpiece is " On The Meaning Of The Mahabharata"

I literally worship VS Sukthankar for his unparalelled effort to create
The Critical Edition Of The Mahabharata.
I very well understand how much hard work had gone into that very tedious research process.
It is not an easy task to check that many Editions,that too Mahabharat?
I don't think any other Epic has fascinated the minds of Indians as well as westerners like Mahabharat did.

Thank you Abhijit Sir for rekindling my admiration for this great Devotee of The Epic.
The day I read your post I felt elated that this master piece had adorned my book shelf
 Grateful to SukthankarJi  for BORI Critical Edition ,my guiding light to understand
Ved Vyas in true sense.