Farida Jalal tired of mummy roles

litlle angel thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Farida Jalal is tired of playing mother in films. "I wonder why the writers don't take a female character seriously. Unfortunately in Bollywood, a mother always remains a mother. It's not that I didn't enjoy playing Shah Rukh Khan's mother in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, but I want to do a lot more," says Farida. "I envy actors like Anupam Kher or the late Amrish Puri for the variety of roles they could deliver." 

That was precisely the reason why she decided to opt out of Kal Ho Naa Ho. The actress recalls, "I was offered the role which Sushma Seth played in the film. Initially, I had no problem playing the character, but when Jaya Bachchan was signed to play my daughter-in-law, I decided to opt out. I realised that the audience could never accept me in that role. Besides, I didn't want to play Jaya Bachchan's mother-in-law after we played the same age in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham."

Be it television or films, the actress will now take up only those projects that motivate her. Commenting on her forthcoming projects, Farida says, "I am looking forward to working with Pradeep Sarkar in his next, for Yashraj Films. I loved his work in Parineeta. So, when he approached me for this film, I immediately gave a nod. Then there is Sunny Deol's Deodhar Gandhi, in which I have an interesting role."

(l-r) Farida Jalal, Sachin and Neena Gupta as judges in a talent hunt show

So, what's next on the agenda? "An actress can never stay away from cinema for long. I am planning to start a production house that will produce both television serials and films," she confirms.      

Talking about her latest stint as a judge in a children's talent hunt show on television, she says, "So far so good. As for my role as a judge is concerned, like in every reality show, we have been roped in to add a glamour quotient. The real power lies in the hands of the audiences and their votes. It is frustrating at times." Farida feels it isn't the right time for kids, especially children in the 5-7 age bracket, to hog the limelight. "I feel bad to see children losing out on their innocence. Parents just push their kids to any extent in order to satisfy their selfish goals and ambitions. I think, these reality shows should be for teenagers, when the contestants are mature enough to decide for themselves and know what they want in life," she says.