Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

We need to come out of star kids culture: Kay Kay Menon

jibber-jabber thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago

We need to come out of star kids culture: Kay Kay Menon

Bollywood may have been backing story-oriented films lately, but Menon says there is still a long way to go before lines between commercial and realistic cinema get blurred.

Kay Kay Menon, Hindi film industry, Bollywood news, culture, entertainment news, latest news, India news, news, Haider, Shahid, Black Friday, Sarkar, Naseeruddin Shah, San Pachhatar 75

Actor Kay Kay Menon believes the Hindi film industry can produce better cinema only when it grows out of the culture of preferring star kids over outsiders.

Time and again, many actors and directors from non-film background have spoken about Bollywood's bias towards artists belonging to stars' families and Kay Kay says this dynasty system needs to be uprooted from the industry.

"We have dynasty as a part of our culture. From politics to cinema, there is a dynasty culture, unlike sports, which has a perfect yardstick. Nobody's son can become a star unless and until you perform in the field.

"In cinema, everybody's sons, daughters, nephews, nieces have the first right on films. That's a part of our culture. We are yet to come out of this culture. The moment we do, we will have better cinema," Menon told PTI in an interview.

The actor, known for his powerpacked performances in films like "Haider", "Shahid", "Black Friday" and "Sarkar", is also of the view that the Rs 100 crore club, sought after by every producer, is just a facade and nowhere a testament to quality cinema.

"It's a marketing gimmick. It has been inculcated in the audience's mind that 100 crore' means something. It just means money and nothing else, it doesn't mean good cinema. It doesn't make any sense. I always say that if I find a 100 crore club, I'll go and play tennis there."

Menon thinks real success of a film lies in its recall value and referring to his own filmography, the 49-year-old actor said he is happy that he has given at least 10 memorable movies in his career so far.

"Among my 80-odd films, there are 13-14 (films) which are memorable. I think the percentage (of my good films) is 10, which is not bad," he said.

"I know these films can be on the shelf even after I die, they have hot posterity. I have always believed films should be beyond the weekend. You can't make cinema that way and if you are making, it is not cinema, it is some packaging."

Bollywood may have been backing story-oriented films lately, but Menon says there is still a long way to go before lines between commercial and realistic cinema get blurred.

"The industry always threatens to do this but it never happens. I am quite sceptic in that sense. Even during the Naseeruddin Shah era we had the parallel cinema which we thought will take over. Nothing happened. It's a good feeling of hope," he said.

The actor will be next seen in period thriller film "San Pachhatar 75". The Navneet Behal-directed film revolves around a deal of the first mobile phone (prototype) being brought in India with (imposition of) Emergency in the background.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nikhil718 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
Bollywood has always been like this so there's zero chance of it growing out the culture. People need to understand that Starkids only get a launch pad then then it gets harder when they their second film comes out.  Some Starkids have vanished from Bollywood and they hardly do any films apart from Mulitistarrer movies or Supporting Roles.

I will agree that many filmakers can be biased towards outsider hence why top/banners don't invest their money into outsiders.. The only outsider of this generation that has been lucky so far is Sidharth Malhotra but the truth is that he hasn't developed. His film are always under KJO's production company which just shows he's nothing with out Karan.

A lot these filmakers are loyal to some actors and actresses so they do will anything for a favour only for the sake of their friendship. This is why people sometimes call this industry a family bussiness as these production/banner company are spent on Starkids. KJO could launch more starkids in the future because that how loyal he is towards people like SRK.

------------------------------------------

Kay Kay needs to understand that Starkids are given a LAUNCH PAD for their debut. It dosen't mean they will have a good career. He should try to undertstand that its all about talent. Not all audiences will accept Starkids if they are bad actor/actress. Even Abhishek Bachchan has felt the pressure because people tend to point out his flaws.

-------------------

"In cinema, everybody's sons, daughters, nephews, nieces have the first right on films. That's a part of our culture. We are yet to come out of this culture. The moment we do, we will have better cinema," Menon told PTI in an interview.
-----------

What he said (See Above) will not happen but that dosen't mean Bollywood will bad cinema. As I said their film starts of as a LAUNCH PAD then but then they are in control of their career. Nowdays Starkids tend take their time by selecting the right script depending on what suits them.

Media will pay attention to those who are Starkids. They won't bother with outsiders unless they are linked with a well know producer like KjO.