ishwari's possessiveness

adoremevirgo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago
ishwari is not happy that dev is taking so much care of sona...wen sona's dada was telling about the cake incident ishwari was surprised that her son is nowadays not sharing everything with her...there was clear sign of disapproval on her face regarding dev and sona...

wenever dev's marriage topic comes up ishwari always says that dev is still a kid...and today wen mami said that dev mite hv a girl in his life ishwari so selfishly stated that dev has only 3 responsibilities, i.e. his sisters...

i did not like the way she said it...dev has done so much for his family all his life and that too widout any grudge...but ishwari only sees her son as someone who will always take care of her and her daughters...she never even pauses to think that dev has a life of his own...he mite hv his own dreams and aspirations...

niki is so young...does that mean dev cant get married till niki gets married...ishwari and dev hv seen many struggles in life and they hv been support system of each other...so ishwari refuses to see dev as anything else other than caretaker of her family which is a mean thing to do...

and dev worships his mom so much that he can never see the injustice of her attitude toward him...it is not a sin to think of oneself and it is not a sin to fall in love...dev's sense of responsibility will not go away if a girl comes into his life...but ishwari does not want dev to entertain any colors in his life but expects him to fill her and her daughters' lives with colors...

i sometimes wonder whether ishwari loves dev as a son or cares about him only as caretaker of her family...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

simisworld thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 2
I agree with you.  I have actually been thinking of posting something similar.  A bit of possessiveness coming from a mother is expected, I can wrap my head around that.  But her visceral reaction every time the top of Dev's marriage or a girl comes up with alarming.  It's almost a pathological attachment she has to him.  And when you take everything into account, I'm not so sure she's such a good mom after all.  I understand that certain things in life can change a person to the core.  And I would imagine being in her position - 4 young children, no husband, no money, no proper job, and no home - is terrifying.  She clearly had to fight against the world to care for them.  But despite her struggles, she could have still been a good mom to all her children.  For example, that flashback where we see her getting pencils for the kids.  She gets 3 (one for dev and one for each of the little girls) but nothing for Neha.  Let's give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she literally had not even a single rupee left after buying pencils for the kids that needed them for school.  (It's possible that she really didn't when you're living hand-to-mouth like that.)  But she could have given Neha attention and love.  That's free.  Instead of handing her a bag of veggies and walking away, she could have done something.  God, even a hug, words acknowledging the injustice she was force to do, a lingering look, anything would have likely prevented Neha from harboring such animosity.  

But Ishwari acts like she did not wrong and those were just her circumstances.  Circumstances were her not being to afford things, but how she doled out love, whether she was thoughtful and sensitive to her children's feelings, those are all things that are for free and the responsibility of a parent.  No matter what I cannot forgive her for that.
And all that MIGHT have been rationalized considering the financial situation they were in.  She just didn't have the time, energy, or luxury of being sensitive to her children's feelings.  Fine.  But what's her excuse now?  It's not like sufficient time hasn't past.  It's been literally YEARS.  And it's not like the fear to being poor again exists.  They're not comfortable they're RICH.  It's not like I expect change in someone over night but this story is taking places years after that phase of their life.  And still no change in Ishwari?  Still just obsessed and controlling of her children.  It's sickening that she doesn't think Dev should have a life.  What is wrong with this woman?  There really is not justifying it.  And although I normally like her, when she has these moments, I truly despise her.  

But koodos to the actress playing Ishwari, she does such a great job of being sweet, innocent, torn between love for her brother and indebtedness towards her bhabhi, and even this weird obsessed side of her.  Even that is portrayed successfully.  Such a great show! 
Edited by simisworld - 7 years ago
misty85 thumbnail
Story will shape up as shown in pre-launch promos. Ishwari is possessive because of her insecurities... but I guess khatri's secret will be out which is related to her and her fear that her son will go away, etc will douse & then she'll accept sona... in short 1 season ke liye writers ke pass kafi masala hai... 😉 
asifiqbalsh thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I agree that she was possessive abt her son & shocked as well but selfishness is too early to say. When u r responsible for family, ur first priority is to set everyone in ur family & then u think abt urself. & if we talk abt now a days so everyone living their own life. They want their privacy & I'm that they ignore their family. Every mother has a wish to marry her son, maybe she has as well but didn't show it. That's my PoV. I didn't mean to hurt anyone but by any chance I did so I apologise.
Endlesslove thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: asifiqbalsh

I agree that she was possessive abt her son & shocked as well but selfishness is too early to say. When u r responsible for family, ur first priority is to set everyone in ur family & then u think abt urself. & if we talk abt now a days so everyone living their own life. They want their privacy & I'm that they ignore their family. Every mother has a wish to marry her son, maybe she has as well but didn't show it. That's my PoV. I didn't mean to hurt anyone but by any chance I did so I apologise.

The responsibilities aren't going anywhere, Dev knows that. However, falling in love towards someone or growing a feeling for someone is not a crime, it just happens without anyone's knowing. After certain period of time Mom should understand that he is a guy and has to start his own family too. 😕
ltelidevara thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 8
Nice Post. Agree with most of the points. Iswari is posessive but the nature of her possessiveness is still unclear. If it is towards seeing her daughter's well settled she can be excused but if it is just obsession for her son I mean if she is unable to share him with someone else it is too much. But such ladies do exist. Especially when they have one son only.They refuse to give space to another girl in his life. If by chance the marriage happens,such women create trouble in Son's life by demanding same attention ,by picking faults with the guys and by making mountain out of mole. They can not even relish the togetherness of the son with the girl,both physical and emotional.Such ladies exist in real life and in fiction also.For example if the couple goes to watch a movie the mother will get headache by the time they return . The son has to attend on his mother and the wife frustrated. I doubt Iswari belongs to this category. All her life she enjoyed Dev's attention unanimously. So she just fears to share his loyalties with his wife. But Supriyaji being a great actress portrays the role so well that makes it difficult even to hate her. Edited by ltelidevara - 7 years ago
JyotiBThakur thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Nice post dear... Ishwari is way too possessive about Dev. She need to understand that Dev has all the right to fall in love and get married.
She know Dev more than anyone else, and she should be very well aware that he is someone who will never ever change whatever happens. If he falls in love with Sona that doesn't mean that his love for his mother and sisters will get divided. She should think of his happiness. He didn't get a good childhood, but he has all the right to love someone.

He has always taken care of everybody around him and now he needs someone to take care of him and Sona is that person. Even in so much pain the first thing she asked was, whether Dev is fine... Awww... She cares for him so much.😳
Sassii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Totally agree may be it will create problems in Devakshi 's love story.
skar1984 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: simisworld

I agree with you.  I have actually been thinking of posting something similar.  A bit of possessiveness coming from a mother is expected, I can wrap my head around that.  But her visceral reaction every time the top of Dev's marriage or a girl comes up with alarming.  It's almost a pathological attachment she has to him.  And when you take everything into account, I'm not so sure she's such a good mom after all.  I understand that certain things in life can change a person to the core.  And I would imagine being in her position - 4 young children, no husband, no money, no proper job, and no home - is terrifying.  She clearly had to fight against the world to care for them.  But despite her struggles, she could have still been a good mom to all her children.  For example, that flashback where we see her getting pencils for the kids.  She gets 3 (one for dev and one for each of the little girls) but nothing for Neha.  Let's give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she literally had not even a single rupee left after buying pencils for the kids that needed them for school.  (It's possible that she really didn't when you're living hand-to-mouth like that.)  But she could have given Neha attention and love.  That's free.  Instead of handing her a bag of veggies and walking away, she could have done something.  God, even a hug, words acknowledging the injustice she was force to do, a lingering look, anything would have likely prevented Neha from harboring such animosity.  

But Ishwari acts like she did not wrong and those were just her circumstances.  Circumstances were her not being to afford things, but how she doled out love, whether she was thoughtful and sensitive to her children's feelings, those are all things that are for free and the responsibility of a parent.  No matter what I cannot forgive her for that.
And all that MIGHT have been rationalized considering the financial situation they were in.  She just didn't have the time, energy, or luxury of being sensitive to her children's feelings.  Fine.  But what's her excuse now?  It's not like sufficient time hasn't past.  It's been literally YEARS.  And it's not like the fear to being poor again exists.  They're not comfortable they're RICH.  It's not like I expect change in someone over night but this story is taking places years after that phase of their life.  And still no change in Ishwari?  Still just obsessed and controlling of her children.  It's sickening that she doesn't think Dev should have a life.  What is wrong with this woman?  There really is not justifying it.  And although I normally like her, when she has these moments, I truly despise her.  

But koodos to the actress playing Ishwari, she does such a great job of being sweet, innocent, torn between love for her brother and indebtedness towards her bhabhi, and even this weird obsessed side of her.  Even that is portrayed successfully.  Such a great show! 

OMG YES! You totally stole the words out of my mouth! 
@ topic maker - Thank you so much for making this post! I wanted to start a topic on ishwari - so glad you did.

Ishwari's character intrigues me - she's definitely a very dark shade of grey IMO. 
While I can understand that she has faced some excruciating circumstances and dire financial hardship, which will inevitably change a person irrevocably - her possessiveness, obsession with Dev is unnatural even considering the circumstances, not to mention extremely unhealthy.

I do have to blame Dev to an extent here - he doesn't seem to fight for his space or freedom either. Just as he explained and convinced Ishwari for Nikki's sleepover - he needs to start putting up subtle boundaries. Ishwari can not and should not control every aspect of Dev's life.

Similarly to play devil's advocate - Ishwari has brainwashed Dev to such an extent that he can't seem to think about anything beyond his mother's happiness - at the expense of his own hopes and desires. He's spent so much time being his mom's support system, ray of hope for a better life - that he's never paid any attention to himself. It shows in his subtle interactions - he's inherently a good person with kindness and compassion but he's emotionally immature. He acts impulsively with out thinking of consequences - like when he forced Sona out of her job or broke her alliance and then tried to make it up by putting her profile up on jodi.com. 

Ishwari is fully responsible for Dev being the way he is. It's sad to see a mother so insecure - how can she not have any faith in her upbringing? Its so silly to see her acting the way she does only because she doesn't want anyone coming in the way of Dev and his responsibilities - why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't he have a personal life AND take care of his family responsibilities? Obviously he'd have to find a partner that understands his responsibilities and doesn't want to come in the way of them - granted that is a variable - but why is he not allowed that option?

It breaks my heart when I see glimpses of the real Dev - like when he casually asked Sona - about her love life - it doesn't occur to him that questions of that nature are personal and its impolite to ask - he's never had time for friends or for healthy normal social interactions. 

I don't think Ishwari is a good mom - i know that sounds harsh and judgemental but there really is no pardon for selective love and skimping on affection. So much "love" for Dev but nothing for Neha? I really don't think you can classify Ishwari's feelings towards Dev as true motherly love - its doctored with selfishness - she places him number one because she sees him as a crutch to end their financial miseries. 

She's brainwashed him into thinking his sisters are his priority (not saying they shouldn't be) but she's putting their family's needs as his sole aim in life - Dev as a person, Dev's own hopes, dreams desires - he's never been granted the chance to explore that. In that aspect she has failed as a mother. No wonder Neha is so bitter - she has every right to be. Even now Ishwari does almost nothing to make amends with Neha - she still takes Neha for granted - takes her bitterness for granted.

It will be interesting to see what will bring about the realization that she has wronged Dev and has been selfish.
adoremevirgo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: skar1984

OMG YES! You totally stole the words out of my mouth! 
@ topic maker - Thank you so much for making this post! I wanted to start a topic on ishwari - so glad you did.

Ishwari's character intrigues me - she's definitely a very dark shade of grey IMO. 
While I can understand that she has faced some excruciating circumstances and dire financial hardship, which will inevitably change a person irrevocably - her possessiveness, obsession with Dev is unnatural even considering the circumstances, not to mention extremely unhealthy.

I do have to blame Dev to an extent here - he doesn't seem to fight for his space or freedom either. Just as he explained and convinced Ishwari for Nikki's sleepover - he needs to start putting up subtle boundaries. Ishwari can not and should not control every aspect of Dev's life.

Similarly to play devil's advocate - Ishwari has brainwashed Dev to such an extent that he can't seem to think about anything beyond his mother's happiness - at the expense of his own hopes and desires. He's spent so much time being his mom's support system, ray of hope for a better life - that he's never paid any attention to himself. It shows in his subtle interactions - he's inherently a good person with kindness and compassion but he's emotionally immature. He acts impulsively with out thinking of consequences - like when he forced Sona out of her job or broke her alliance and then tried to make it up by putting her profile up on jodi.com. 

Ishwari is fully responsible for Dev being the way he is. It's sad to see a mother so insecure - how can she not have any faith in her upbringing? Its so silly to see her acting the way she does only because she doesn't want anyone coming in the way of Dev and his responsibilities - why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't he have a personal life AND take care of his family responsibilities? Obviously he'd have to find a partner that understands his responsibilities and doesn't want to come in the way of them - granted that is a variable - but why is he not allowed that option?

It breaks my heart when I see glimpses of the real Dev - like when he casually asked Sona - about her love life - it doesn't occur to him that questions of that nature are personal and its impolite to ask - he's never had time for friends or for healthy normal social interactions. 

I don't think Ishwari is a good mom - i know that sounds harsh and judgemental but there really is no pardon for selective love and skimping on affection. So much "love" for Dev but nothing for Neha? I really don't think you can classify Ishwari's feelings towards Dev as true motherly love - its doctored with selfishness - she places him number one because she sees him as a crutch to end their financial miseries. 

She's brainwashed him into thinking his sisters are his priority (not saying they shouldn't be) but she's putting their family's needs as his sole aim in life - Dev as a person, Dev's own hopes, dreams desires - he's never been granted the chance to explore that. In that aspect she has failed as a mother. No wonder Neha is so bitter - she has every right to be. Even now Ishwari does almost nothing to make amends with Neha - she still takes Neha for granted - takes her bitterness for granted.

It will be interesting to see what will bring about the realization that she has wronged Dev and has been selfish.

u both r bang on as far as my opinion is concerned regarding ishwari...i wanted to write to that extent that she is not a gud mom but feared that this thread wud be inundated with anti posts...

i really dont know how to define ishwari's love for her children...at least this much i can say that her love is not selfless love that one gets from a mother...

wenever dev's marriage topic comes up she insists he is a kid which seems like psycho reaction to me...a guy who has built an empire from scratch is a kid...then who is grown up in her definition...at other times she says that dev has grown up at so early age to take care of his family...i remember her saying the same thing to sona the day after dev broke her phn...

typical of ishwari...dev is a kid or grown up according to her convenience...wen its about taking responsibilities of his sisters he shud behave as grown up man with strong shoulders to take up all responsibilities...but wen the topic is about alliance with a girl he is still stuck with a pacifier in his mouth...ridiculous to the extent that it appears cruel to me...

and like u said dev has been totally brainwashed from early age so much so that he can never even think that his mom can ever be wrong...that he is impulsive has always been proved...wen he offered that guy who was to marry neha his 30% shares that day only i realized this character does not think before acting...even with best intentions in his heart he can mess up his near one's life...if that marriage wud hv eventually taken place then neha wud hv led a miserable life since that guy wud hv married only for money...

as for ishwari's love as a mother...neha is one example...since neha was not gud in studies and so not "useful" for securing future so she was prevented from pursuing studies...granted that she did not hv the money to educate all her 4 kids...but to make neha a nursemaid of 2 younger sisters and take that for granted sounded too evil to me...

and she did take fhat for granted...even today it is dev who has done so much for this family...it is dev who has sacrificed so much in his life to build this empire bla bla bla...i never see her mentioning that neha has sacrificed her childhood, her dreams, her aspirations too for this family...since neha's fruit of sacrifice is not tangible like the money that dev brings to this house...so it is dev and not neha who has made all the sacrifices in ishwari's perspective...

that holi day scene was so true...wen nikki and ria asked dev whether he wud play colors and he refused...then ishwari said that how can dev play colors since he has seen so much suffering (i dont remember the exact line)...and how neha said as if she has grown up seeing mela...that day only i realized that ishwari's love and concern is only for dev since he is the earning member and hence the "useful" member of the family...

ishwari needs to learn that dev is a different individual and cannot be tied to her palloo all her life...it remains to be seen how she realizes that eventually since one thing is for sure that dev will not be the one to make her realize it...

Edited by adoremevirgo - 7 years ago