Ram is like Dasrath Sita is like me- Sumitra

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
It was a single sentence Sumitra said. But more than the literal meaning of this sentence it had more deeper meaning. When I had gone once to Ramayana Parayana in a temple this part was being explained and the way the person telling the Parayana explained this line I was very much astound and since then I had never forgotten the line also. This is the line which highlights Sumitra wisdom and caution. Without telling anything she tells everything. 
So what is the inner meaning of this line and why she said that. All three are going to forest. Sita is young, very beautiful lady. Lakshman is going to forest without his wife. Agreed in the comfort of the palace the relations, maryadas are kept. But forest life is difficult. There will be many instances where one may be tempted. One can lose moral grounds. 

And seeing the young beautiful lady in front of him, you can never tell whether a young man will remember the relation that she is his bhabi. What if he feels something else. What if a mistake happens. 

That's why Sumitra tells from now on Ram is like your father and Sita like me. Instead of bhaiyya  bhabi she makes it pita-mata. So Lakshman is the son who is going to protect his parents not his brother and sis-in-law.  So she makes the thought prominent in Lakshman's mind that Sita is mata, mother. And behave to her the way you behave with me. So if he thinks of overstepping his maryada at any time, it is equivalent to he insulting his mother Sumitra. 

Did Lakshman needed it. We all know no. You cant find another devar like him who could recognize only his bhabi's payals and nothing else. He has only looked at her feet while taking blessing. 
But then Sumitra's line is for the larger society. A society in which maryada is broken at homes. There are enough devars out there who doesnt hesitate to overpower their bhabi and have relation with her. Then in the name of family prestige and maryada ask her to keep quiet. It is not that it happens in one home, there are many homes it happens. After all duri and co were Panchali's devars who were trying to disrobe her. 
If anyone of them had seen Gandhari in their bhabi would they have done it. Answer is no. The ability to see your mother in every woman apart from your wife will make a man respect a lady. Make him understand misbehaving with her, is like misbehaving with his mother. She is also someone's sister, daughter, wife or mother. 
Even in extreme situation learn to respect a lady and never cross the maryada with her. That's the larger meaning of the message Sumitra gave to Lakshman today. Actually she draws the rekha for her son. 
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jayvenk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Was waiting for this scene. Sumitra wisdom to laxnan. 
Beautifully put forth. 
I believe Sumitra was the only one who envisioned ram as narayana himself
jayvenk thumbnail
Shruthi beautifully compressed again. 
shruthiravi thumbnail
Thanks Jayashree. But in this post my words are less. It is mostly the words of the person who had done Ramayana Parayan when I was a teenager. 
jayvenk thumbnail
Shruthi life is a learning process. U heard those beautiful words long back. U have passed it on to us. 
For me those are your words.
PS I am assuming u heard them long back😲
Arijit007 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
the post was awesome, sumitra's words were wise. as for the real target of these words, socity? in this present era, they got the meaning of the word "maryada" wrong.
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Shruthi,  a much needed message..⭐️ if every person had this teaching in their conscience,  world wold become a much better place to live.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Jayashree yes long back only. It should be somewhere between 1995-2000 😆
daydreamers thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
shruthi very interestingly, i had the same interpretation as you have given. i haven't gone through any analysis or parayana, but this is what i had deciphered. i guess i was too much into dashratha's realization today 😆 i tend to skip it...

you know this is the reason that i'll adopt a boy and not a girl... as i told you...

cmn to my reasons for the larger audience- i won't adopt a boy for those stupid customs or because i have patriarchal and orthodox views. i'll adopt a boy to teach him how to treat a woman. so that tomorrow he doesn't say that a girl's dressing provoked him. so that tomorrow he doesn't kill the female foetus. so that tomorrow he doesn't dominate a woman. so that tomorrow he sees his mother or sister in every lady and treat her with due respect. so that he doen't make fun of manners like pulling out a chair for a lady, opening a door for a lady, picking up things if they fall by mstake, let the lady sit first.  so that tomorrow he would protect any lady who is going alone. so that he wouldn't judge a woman for what she is and what she is not. so that he wouldn't bring in something called ego in between.
avalonhigh1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Shruthi In one of the discussions of the Ramayan ,I heard people disputing whether Sita was at fault for speaking harshly to Lakshman in the golden deer fiasco. Some said that he states that she was not a common stree and that word was what prompted her to say those words to him.The other group said that her doubts on him and her crossing his Rekha was why she had to suffer so many indignities. Well back then I was brash enough to want  to bash their heads for their narrow minded distortions of  something I loved...But these comments rankled a lot till I read the English translations of Valmiki's Ramayan in which there was no mention of either Lakshman rekha or her in any way doubting his character. But in our infinite wisdom, we, as a society had managed to twist it to justify our own moral weaknesses and our degrading values. and it is not  just restricted to India ,but the state of woman in any society is more or less the same. A rape or molestation is justified by saying that she was dressed in a certain way or she was in that place at the wrong time ...the list goes on. What we often overlook is that the core values and principles remain the same for both a man or a woman. Our weakness are also of the same nature .In a society both of them have to follow the same code of conduct, don't they. So why do we end up restricting a woman's right than changing a man's intention????
Savita