TOI Article:I hate saas-bahu soaps: Deepti Naval!!

vyoman thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago

I hate saas-bahu soaps: Deepti Naval

Vijaya Tiwari | TNN | Mar 7, 2016, 05.29 PM IST
Deepti NavalDeepti Naval
Seasoned actress Deepti Naval is all set to be seen in TV show 'Meri Awaaz Hi Pehchaan Hai'. The actress, who was instrumental in keeping strong woman characters alive in the parallel cinema, feels saas-bahu shows have made women look backward.

"I hate these saas-bahu shows where women are shown sleeping in their Kanjivaram sarees with heavy jewellery. Then they wake up in the same attire looking fresh. What message are we sending to the world. How can you appreciate such content. It is so regressive. This is not the Indian woman we want to project. I would love to do Television if they come to me where I have to play a contemporary Indian woman. A woman who is not trying to be young, no Botox, just being who I am, the woman of today," said Deepti. 

She added, "Smita Patil, Shabana Azmi and I constantly tried to bring women ahead, but these saas-bahu shows are taking us backwards. I am not saying everything that is shown on TV is regressive. There are some shows which talk about realistic content. I think our show would be a great relief for the audience."

Talking about her excitement of working with Zarina Wahab, she said, "I am really excited. We are from the same generation. I used to watch her films. She was superb in 'Chitchor'. We also worked with the same people like Amol Palekar. So the references were same for us. I am looking forward to the shoot."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

26nightingale thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Superb acting! ( her old movies)