Plagiarism Alert Thread - Opinions Needed!

Poll

Should this thead exist in order to curb plagiarism?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago
Despite the numerous strict rules that the DT has created in response to plagiarism, and the countless requests that we've made for technical solutions, there continues to be issues.

At this point, the Development Team of the Fan Fictions Forum, has resorted to taking a leaf out fanfiction.net's book. We are now starting a 'Plagiarism Alert' thread in response to the "the fan fiction DT isn't strict enough", "they don't know what they're doing" complaints. 😃 If you plagiarize, your username will be posted in a thread stickied at this forum (or other show forums if you plagiarize at other forums) for all writers and readers to know.

Unfortunately, this may prove be to much worse for you (than if you were at ff.net) if you have a habit of stealing other's work because unlike ff.net, your banned account typically is returned to you within 1-2 weeks (unless you've plagiarized a minimum of three times). Even if your account is activated again, your username will remain and if we find out that you've created another account, we will make sure to post your new account as well.

Even though, this is an idea that we will implement either way to give it a trial run, we're giving IF Members the opportunity to provide input on this new idea (that was suggested BY members to us in the past already).

-FF DT [Naina & Jot]
Edited by Angel-Jot. - 8 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

asmaanixx thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
This is a great idea Jot!

It will help to curb some of the plagiarism that happens within I-F. However, my major concern lies with the plagiarizing that happens outside of this site. Outside of this place, we are pretty much left on our own devices to combat the crime.

It will be great if that could be looked into as well.

But hey, a step is a step and it is better than nothing.
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Originally posted by: asmaanixx

This is a great idea Jot!

It will help to curb some of the plagiarism that happens within I-F. However, my major concern lies with the plagiarizing that happens outside of this site. Outside of this place, we are pretty much left on our own devices to combat the crime.

It will be great if that could be looked into as well.

But hey, a step is a step and it is better than nothing.

Unfortunately, there is not much that we can do against work that is plagiarized on another site however, if we knew who that member was on IF, we'd make sure to take action here and also post their name on the list.

The only thing we can't help with, is removing the story from another site because it's not under our authority.
asmaanixx thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: Angel-Jot.

Unfortunately, there is not much that we can do against work that is plagiarized on another site however, if we knew who that member was on IF, we'd make sure to take action here and also post their name on the list.

The only thing we can't help with, is removing the story from another site because it's not under our authority.

I completely understand that and that's why I'm glad that steps are being taken to at least protect works inside of I-F. Once it is established that plagiarism will not be condoned under any manner, hopefully this will deter people from committing such heinous acts.

Plagiarism is a crime and it should be treated as such. It isn't fair to the writers who spend countless hours in crafting their products or for their readers who genuinely gain solace from reading various pieces.
Iansomer1 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This is a great idea and I'm happy atleast fellow writers work would be safe inside IF 
I hope this is implemented soon so this heinous crime can be stopped asap. 

Thankyou for this initiative 
mayasun thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Hi 
I think this would be a great idea.
I was wondering are you guys planning to  make it a sticky thread then it would be even more wonderful.

Thanks for the initiative
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Originally posted by: mayasundar

Hi 

I think this would be a great idea.
I was wondering are you guys planning to  make it a sticky thread then it would be even more wonderful.

Thanks for the initiative

Yes, it'll be stickied.
Arshi67 thumbnail
I think this is a useful idea. Anything which goes some way in fighting plagiarism will be good. And the possibility of having their names for all members to peruse, may act as a deterrent to a few. People coming back with new UN's invariably know others here on the forum. So, if we're all vigilant and inform you of our suspicions this initiative will be successful.  
Duumps thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
This is a very good initiative.
Helps our writers at least within the IF.

Chokri_ASR thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
A start in the right direction... whatever it takes to prevent plagiarism from happening on India Forums where many of us come to escape the stresses of AD. It's a place where we have made dear friends, and tapped into our own creativity to do things we wouldn't have done before. Writing is one of them. Many of us started writing here being inspired by other writers or encouragement from those writers, along with readers and friends.

And when plagiarism affects someone close to you, or yourself, that foundations is shaken down to the core. I was fortunate to have the support from my readers and friends. They stood next to me every step of the way. I would also like to give credit to the Mod of that particular forum. Jyoti06 was responsive and took swift action following the rules. There was no finger pointing or taking sides, she was able to decipher right from wrong. A pleasant surprise, since I have seen, time and time again where it has been a difficult journey for many writers. 

In my opinion this can only work, if readers and writers are vigilant. And writers and members coming forth exposing the plagiarist need to feel comfortable that the DT will act upon the complaint. 

Looking forward to the initiatives that are in the works in helping writers protect what's rightfully theirs!

Edited by Chokri_ASR - 8 years ago