Mastaangi - Analysis , and why reincarnation tropes fail

IndianFariyTale thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
 So, I'll tell you straight up , I'm not the biggest fan of reincarnation  as a theme in shows . I'm yet to see an Indian one that has actually delivered on the potential . I decided to watch Mastaangi , mostly because I 'm bored , and partly because the title track and  the promos intrigued me . 

Cause it looked like the  female lead might actually have a brain in her head , and not be another bobble headed doll . I mean she had a gun , one she knew to actually use . Sadly I was mistaken.πŸ˜•

For me , the most important rule with reincarnation and general plots about hidden pasts , is gradually figuring out  the past . Something , one would think is fairly obvious . But oh , well.

Mastaangi's most basic flaw is that it gives the game  away . If you let the viewer know all the vital details of the past , why in god's name would I want to watch ? The whole process of watching characters  figure it out becomes an exercise in frustration .  πŸ₯± .Unless of course you enjoy cackling at a screen , enjoying the fact that you  KNOW, and they DON'T.
 It's fun and engaging only if I have  a chance to puzzle , muddle and figure out the solutions  with the leads , NOT when I hold all the cards . Then I just want to yell at people on the  screen πŸ˜‘.

Which brings me to point number 2: The whole premise of the *ahem * love story.
I don't believe in love at first sight .There , I said it . Infatuation at first sight ? , sure . Lust at first sight ? you have my blessings πŸ˜›. Love though in my opinion takes time to happen .  With Mastanngi, even though I shelved my beliefs , I was never really sold  on the whole love story. Their love  story of the past , was a lot like candy floss. Sweet , but lacking  substance  . Ultimately it had a high school romance vibe , the kind that while adorable , you  know will fade .Both of them were on their best behavior, and this made them seem unrealistic as a lasting couple . It simply did not have the time travel , across "janam's" level of intensityπŸ˜†. 

The show 's second female Anushka , , is typecast in the usual love triangle  , but I have to say that with the limited  scope that she had to work with , the actress did a good job. Of the three characters, she is the one who seems almost real .  Interestingly where  Kabir, the male lead is all sweetness and light with Udita , we get to see a far more believable  and truer picture of who he is .

It's funny how little a serial's team seems to care about something that is elemental to a love story-Chemistry . In my view Kabir had far more chemistry with his "friend/ partner" Anushka , than he does with the lead Udita . I seem doomed to ship impossible couples , damn my footi kismat .😭

The first episode is the key, it's what sets the tone  for the rest of the show , and from what I have seen of the' present janam ' , does not hold much promise either

. I'm sorry but I cannot take  anybody who addresses himself in third person , or abbreviates his name to a single alphabet seriously . K , K , I ask you πŸ˜•. Also what was with the orange glares?  . On a side note ,please PLEASE NEVER let him get near a razor , some men are not meant to shave . 

The female lead is no better really. She 's constantly smiling , like her mouth is hardwired that way . It is NOT CUTE , it however is CREEPY . Nobody is that happy πŸ˜ƒ See?
Also being pretty, and using daddy's money to buy other people gifts (including random gifts to neighbors does not  cover the slightly vapid personality of the lead

The female lead's friends are just cringe worthy .  They exist  to fulfill every stereotype about the empty headed pretty side kicks .  Think Twiddledee  and Twiddledum ,  or the flunkies every popular girl in every movie ever. If I referred to one of my friends as "such an angel " three times in under 5 minutes , she would assume that 

a) I wanted her kidney
b) An alien had taken over my body
c) I had finally become terminally insane 
d) I was an insane alien who needed a kidney.

I kid you not , these friends refer to each other as baby, and angel. Just , Why?

It is as yet unclear whether my personal favorite , the second female , has been reincarnated as well. I hope  to god my suspicions are right , and she is . Unsurprisingly it is this character who comes across as realistic in the *ahem* current generation as well. 
I like her , I really do . You have to admit any chick who can beats a guy in a bike race is interesting.😊

Let's not even talk about the episode where they nearly met. Just NO.

Mastaangi could have  been  a gritty , captivating story , with multi dimensional characters and a nuanced layered plot . As it stands however ,it is a cliched , almost farcical story . 

It is particularly annoying because I 'm watching a Korean drama (Hello Monster)where they weave in the past beautifully . Yes , that was shameless plugging of kdrama .πŸ˜† Is anybody else watching it because I really want to discuss it 

PS: Dear creatives of Mastaangi who named a character Euro, I hope you are aware it is the name of an underwear brand .

KThas all.

Edited by IndianFariyTale - 8 years ago