Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

simtara thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
There is indeed a long standing stigma in society all over the world, that as you age your place in society deteriorates.

As children we were told to speak only when spoken too, and the same seems to apply to the elderly as well.

However, in direct contradiction, if you go to rural villages where panchayats are still held it is the elderly who are given deference in speaking and decision making.

The concept that, as you age you should fade back from the active society, is slowly disappearing world-wide.

This trend is, in my opinion, slowly picking up in India as well. This holds true especially in the metro areas. Perhaps it is a celebrity influence... with Amitabh Bachchan still working, walking and laughing perhaps more of the elderly are inspired to do the same.

~~~~~

Break 😊
keshp15 thumbnail

Hello Simtara,😊 and everyone else on this thread,

Age limitations are, according to me a pert of the 'Image' of how a person should behave, made by our society, not only Indian but that of many counrties too. However, a big part of of this trend is also due to the poeple who love up to this image. 😊

I also agree with the saying that life starts after fourty just because of the fact that i am happy to see that it does not matter how old you get physically, it is your spirit that should stay young.

It is known to very few that if a person acts young and feels young, they look younger too. It is true that As Age increases, a person Bacomes More Wise. This can be true due to the reason that the person is more experienced and therefore the persons mind, according to natural instinct, will refer to that experience to deal with any new obstacle in their path.😉

Nevertheless, The Older the Wiser is not always true as a major part of making better and more intelligent decisions is the person's personality. If a person is an optimist😃, then they will naturally make better decisions in their life that will influence not only themselves but also those around them, but is the person is the opposite, a pessimist, they will maek decisions that will favor only them and not enyone alse.

Let me Know what you Guys think

Love KP😊

So long as one is young at heart, age does not matter. The catch is, the heart gets older than the mind and body with all the comfort and junk food that is around.On top of it, the gossips of the BTMs.
Majority thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

I wish I could participate but I know absolutely nothing about getting older. Sorry!
A.S.

Me too
DivyaD thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

I think Age is only a reflection of what you have achieved...and I don't only mean succes ion a monetary sense, but also being caring, generous or helpful. I don't know if anyone has ever heard of the saying ... "an old soul in a young body"?

However, society places strictures on what one should and should not do before or after a certain age... which is nonsense if you ask me...

An individual has the right to decide for oneself and shouldn't be cowed into facing life in any poision that one is not comfortable with... So if you wanna wear purple at 70 yrs go for it... if you wanna remarry at 50, even better... but if you wanna run off with some else's hubby at 21 and the wife is 45... watch out!!! 😆 

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

I wish I could participate but I know absolutely nothing about getting older. Sorry!
A.S.

Ek gaana yaad gaya " Abhi to main jawaan hoon..." (pun intended!)

On a serious note, people in the West go by the philosophy of  'there's one life, so live it to the fullest'. My mother-in-law(she is Scottish) is older than my mother, but there's such a vast difference in their levels and types of activities, and their attitudes. The vast majority of people my mother's age are sitting at home thankful that they got their kids married, they have grandchildren, a roof over their heads, some money in their bank accounts - ab Allah Allah karo aur ghar mein baitho! I have to force them to go on holidays where they are not simply visiting one of their kids.

My MIL on the other hand, lives on her own, is member of a bowling club, president of her housing society, paints the whole house every year, takes a holiday that doesn't involve her kids, and is always busy doing something.

It's not all bleak, though. I predict that in another two generations more of us will be breaking the age barriers!

sareg thumbnail

I dont mind hearing the other perspective😉

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

I dont mind hearing the other perspective😉

Abhijit and Jatayu after several decades...

"Ab mein bilkul boodha hoon,

Goli kha kar jeeta hoon

Lekin aaj bhi mere ghar ke andar

Roshni deta Bajaj!" 😉

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

I totally agree. I hope that when I am in my 30s, I also enjoy my life to the fullest like I am now and continue to do so in my 40s and 50s and beyond!

Hamari duaaen aapke saath hain kyonki tab tak shayad hum ho na ho!!!

Majority thumbnail

Originally posted by: serialbuff

Abhijit and Jatayu after several decades ...

... after several decades ...