TS: Everlong: Part 2/2 Updated Pg 3 (Complete)

ShyNomad thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Something floating around in my head set around current events pre-investigators. Many thanks to Sukhi for her thoughtful prompt - hopefully it will tie in better with the second part.
One request for all those silent readers out there - please take the opportunity of these last few days to express your thoughts (good and bad) to our wonderful writers who are helping to keep these characters alive.

Title is a nod to the acoustic version of Foo Fighters' Everlong. 

--

How should time be measured?

Seconds, one can say. Minutes, hours. Days, weaving into weeks. Months torn off of calendars. Candles dripping wax onto cake until a wish is made (children always know what they want, it's as we grow older that we no longer know our own heart). Anticipating the moment one year slides into the next, we hope for something better.

And as the new year approaches, the nights grow longer, sparklers crackle in the streets. Laughter follows. It is the familiar story of light against darkness, goodness prevailing against evil, because we are always looking to the future for salvation.

And yet, no matter how we perceive time, it passes, unhurried and unabated. It has no use for our constructs. It pays no heed to our dreams.

--

In the morning the words remained unspoken between them. She could feel his eyes linger on her as if he was searching for the courage to broach the subject. She considered finding an excuse to go into the hospital on this Sunday, almost like any other Sunday if not for the date she sometimes wished was no longer burned into her memory.

Their children of course had no inkling of the significance - how could they, when their parents had spent years suffering in silence instead of celebrating? But his sister remembered, along with her mother, and they rounded up the rest of the family for an impromptu day trip to the Karjat farmhouse.

As they waved goodbye to RK's SUV packed to the brim, she found him staring again and was too weary to wonder at the thoughts swirling behind his eyes. But when he offered his hand she took it, and as she let him open her car door her imagination felt him lean in just a bit closer before making his way to the other side.

They made small talk on their way into the city. Maybe he took his eyes off the road a few more times than what was safe. Maybe she had taken extra care with her makeup this morning, imagining the perfect hue of lipstick to smudge against his cheek, on his collar (it was another fruitless daydream when he entered the room unshaven, wearing a dangerous shade of black). Maybe she hoped the light blush brushed on her cheeks would disguise the effect he inevitably had on her.

Or maybe she was reading too much into the nervous thrumming of his fingers on the steering wheel (some habits never changed).

--

They entered the darkened theater hand in hand, ostensibly so he could tug her to a pair of seats away from the crowd. But even as they settled in he was slow to let go and oh so casually rested his arm around her.

"Nachiket." She whispered, acutely aware of their surroundings.

He seemed unfazed by her distress, glancing over at her with his eyebrows raised. "What?"

She pinched the finger draped over her shoulder.

"Ouch." He glared at her and she tried not to follow with her eyes as he brought the smarting skin to his mouth.

"What?" If he could play innocent, so could she.

"Nothing," he grumbled before turning his attention back to the screen.

Try as she might, she could not stop herself from studying his face as the light flickered across it. The laughter spilling forth seemed at once familiar and foreign. She had missed the way his whole face would light up, how she knew he hated baring his bottom teeth but couldn't keep his mouth from grinning ear to ear.

Had life been so exacting that she had forgotten his laugh?

He met her eyes and she snapped her gaze straight ahead, grateful for the cover of darkness. Her hand, filled with popcorn, hovered in front of her face as if she was watching a convoluted thriller instead of a predictable slapstick comedy.

Suddenly she felt his hand close around her wrist and his mouth snatched a few kernels from her fingers.

Her eyes grew wide in what she hoped was disapproval and she tried to ignore her heart thudding at tingle of his gesture. "There's enough to share, you know."

He smiled then, a real one, as if he couldn't wait to tease her. "Don't want you to ruin your appetite," he winked.

When his arm found its way back around her the second time, she leaned her head against his shoulder (and kept the popcorn).

--

"This is exactly what I meant," he chided as she unwrapped her ice cream sandwich.

"But Nachiket, you know if I see ice cream on screen it makes me hungry." She tried to keep from sounding like a petulant five year old but was less than successful judging from his frown. "You can have some too."

"Really?" He eyed the treat with renewed interest as it began to drip over her fingers in the heat.

She broke the sandwich in half and handed it to him in a napkin before he could take her up on her offer. "Be careful not to -"

"Ow," the sound was muffled and he grimaced as the cold rushed painfully to his brain.

Ragini shook her head in amazement. "I can't believe you still don't take smaller bites."

"I never have ice cream anymore," he defended himself.

And though she knew he meant well it was a raw reminder of years past, sticky napkins and his exasperation with her love of every flavor. Feeding him her newest favorite (coaxing him first with the more exotic ones). His insistence that they all tasted better on her lips but maybe he could compare it one more time...

"Yours is melting," he nudged her gently.

She looked down and broke off a smaller piece this time. She knew he was surprised when she brought it up to his lips but he obliged with a bite, the barely there tip of his tongue warm against her cold fingers. "Delicious." His eyes, warm with gratitude, assured her he hadn't forgotten. "But I've had better."

She ducked her head, feeling that long lost thrill settle in her stomach.

Around them, crowds bustled along the promenade as vendors hawked their food. The sun continued on its long crawl towards the horizon.

Time hadn't really stopped, but where it had once stretched between them like an unfathomable gulf, the pull of memories of times past now drew them closer together.

To be continued... 

Part 2 of 2

Edited by ShyNomad - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

poetic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
OMG Nidhi. 🤗

I was waiting for this all the while - last night didn't pass that quickly for me. 

This is so beautiful. How do I describe the timeless beauty of this piece?

❤️ This is how I think of Nachiket and Ragini together - this is how it should have been. This IS Love ❤️

I could see the ice cream sandwich melting down Ragini's fingers; I could see them in the theatre with his arm around her and her head on his shoulder.

My beautiful NeiRa - how I love them.

Please update at the earliest. 😃
Edited by poetic - 8 years ago
loveleen3 thumbnail
The magic of words! <3
This was romance in every word. A beautiful, gorgeous romance. <3
Stunningly romantic piece Nidhi. <3 <3
This is exactly what we needed! :D
metoyou thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Okay me back with hopefully words that can do justice to this magical piece.

Yes Nidhi, this is absolutely brilliant 👏 Small, little gestures and moments. No heavy stuff yet touches the heart and soul. Every single movement makes them look imperfectly perfect. 
The car ride, the theater and the ice cream... all they need is to spend time together and everything will fall back into its place. 

It is only and purely because of writers like you that make us fall in love with, not only NeiRa, but also with love itself again and again. 

Can't thank you enough for this gorgeous piece of excellence. A beauty it is...

🤗❤️

Edited by metoyou - 8 years ago
goldstar678 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Nidhi,
From the moment they r inside the car till the end of it,every single word while reading I felt it about neira.The typical romance of our neira.They do really deserve this time where they are alone,they missed so much already in their life past 18 years.

Really exited and looking forward to the next part
Edited by goldstar678 - 8 years ago
ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

In my wildest dreams, I could not have written something as beautiful as this about that prompt..Nidhi, you're a magician with those deliciously warm words of yours.. 

A big big hug for this!

Give me some time to calm my thudding heart now, I'll be back with more <3 

You are lovely! <3
shabz50 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Loved it Nidhi just so romantic and beautifully written full of memories for our neira.
Loved it 
Santosh99 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Nidhi di 😃

This is wonderfull-superb-mindblowing-outstanding it was pure magic from start to end! The way you portray the moments was just beautiful it's seem that it's happening infront of me totally loved it to the core! 😃 😃 😃

Please update soon for this dukhi atma! 😛
ShyNomad thumbnail

Originally posted by: poetic

OMG Nidhi. 🤗

I was waiting for this all the while - last night didn't pass that quickly for me. 

This is so beautiful. How do I describe the timeless beauty of this piece?

❤️ This is how I think of Nachiket and Ragini together - this is how it should have been. This IS Love ❤️

I could see the ice cream sandwich melting down Ragini's fingers; I could see them in the theatre with his arm around her and her head on his shoulder.

My beautiful NeiRa - how I love them.

Please update at the earliest. 😃

So sorry to keep you waiting Rachna...I perhaps spoke too soon yesterday 😊

I am so glad you liked this 😳, that it was true to your vision of them because we all know that is how they should be. In our heads they continue with these moments despite the show.

Thank you for your wonderfully kind words 🤗 and beautiful gif...no clue as to when I can update but it will come 😳
ShyNomad thumbnail

Originally posted by: loveleen3

The magic of words! <3
This was romance in every word. A beautiful, gorgeous romance. <3
Stunningly romantic piece Nidhi. <3 <3
This is exactly what we needed! :D

Thank you so much Loveleen!! 😳 😳 

Glad you enjoyed it and that it was able to set the mood 😉
Edited by ShyNomad - 8 years ago