The misogyny of the time beautifully portrayed (Collage Added)

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago

I said this yesterday, we might not like the Bhabis. They are irritating for sure. Most contemporary and progressive Indian TV watchers are sick and tired of the saas bahu kitchen politics. But the fact of the matter is their presence there is to make a point about women in those time. That marriage is the ultimate and only goal or a woman. Without marriage a woman has no identity, respect for future. She is considered ill-fated. 

(Thank you Shweta Di)
How unfair is the superstition of a manglik? Gayatri's fiance died when she was young. Was she at fault for it? Absolutely not. But she was blamed unfairly. Ever wonder why such a prejudicial superstition didn't arise for men? Ranaji's wife also died. Was Ranaji ever labeled as a manglik. 

Look at the irony, a rich, pampered, privileged girl is given the status of a servent in her own house. I wonder how will the Bhabi's attitude change once Gayatri becomes a queen. The way they were mocking her in the house and blaming her for her ill-fate would no where be considered acceptable in today's time. It is very much a 1940s thing. It very much portrays the sad truth of a woman being a woman's own enemy. 

(Once Again the collages are by the brilliant Shweta Di! )

Edited by grumpydwarf - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

KittuPratzz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
res 😆
Unres 😛

I second you ...but here Ranaji wont be blames if any ill happens..only women are blamed

Gayatri is blamed for which she is not responsible..and where as Ranaji is taking blames on himelf for what ever happened.

Ranaji and Gayatri both are very similar but yet different in opinions. 

Misogyny... 😳 what shall i say..you said everything..but i just want to add what i thought of it..

Ranaji used to be full of life and enjoyed his life to the core...but there comes a tragedy where he turned to be the one like we see..where as Gayatri even though her own family members take advantage of her she still dreams and hopes for the best to happen in her life!! 

About Gayatri being Mangalik..that how indian ppl thoughts are..we cannot change them!!

Even though she knows she is mangalik and her mom and dad are feeling bad..she still faces everything with a smile on her face!!! 👏 

One is being Optimistic about everything and other being pessimistic.. but they stil hope for some miracle, to get out of this pain..

Lovely episode..and i love these small nuances they show in the characters..
Edited by KittuPratzz - 8 years ago
sam_DDzfan thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Agree
The mindset of that era women is clearly reflected who considered marriage to be the ultimate goal. Even when Gayatri is pampered daughter of richest landloard still he couldnt find relation for her n she has to listen the comments of her bhabhis
But the best part is Gayatri dont crib over this. She says jeene ke liye kuch toh chahiye, sachai na sahi, sapne hi sahi

Gayatri is being shown as different from that era girls. I dont know abt others but i m very happy with CVs for that
Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: sam_DDzfan

Agree
The mindset of that era women is clearly reflected who considered marriage to be the ultimate goal. Even when Gayatri is pampered daughter of richest landloard still he couldnt find relation for her n she has to listen the comments of her bhabhis
But the best part is Gayatri dont crib over this. She says jeene ke liye kuch toh chahiye, sachai na sahi, sapne hi sahi

Gayatri is being shown as different from that era girls. I dont know abt others but i m very happy with CVs for that

Yes I love her positive spirit! 
RageOfAnAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Nyc post yeah kinda portrays the sad state of women that even then a girl who is a manglik n her would be husband died was tainted to remain with a sorry fate forever ! but any man whose wife dies would be refrained from any such societal connotation
utopia88 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Yep, the misogyny is depicted very well. Women truly are their own worst enemy. Gayatri is trying her best to let it not affect her, always putting on a happy face. 😊 

It's sad though that these attitudes still exist among some communities today as well. 
abba12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
i agree .. as they r showing 1940s culture , thats bound to happen ..
a girl will b held responsible for whatever bad happens and not the guy 
and still in backward areas its the trend .. people  throw cheap sentences if , the girl isnt married .. 

what i like is gayatri attitude towards it ..though i felt bad when she gave sad expressions ... 

lets see , what will b attitude of her bhabis , after her marriage to rana g 
kirti_fiji thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
sadly the misogyny is the backbone of serial these days.  I never understood why woman are to be blame for anything and everything under the sun; anything goes wrong its because of the woman.
the issue with Gayatri's marriage, it exposes two facts of the 1940 which still exists in many places, child marriage and girls fault. Despite the issue it is shown that her parents are liberal but within the community/society views. at least they didnt get thier child married again or lock her in a room.

as for the bhabis, well I am sure they will surely change their tune once Gayatri becomes a Rani, or manybe they will try to get more money from the Rani (which may be difficult since its Gayatris father that is the money lender for the raj gharana-sotechnically it will the same thing, gayatri taking money from her father and giving it to her bhabi)

A woman is a woman's worst enemy but at least the fighting is restricted to a small scale not like wars between countries or those religious wars
YD.AH thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
yes i agree with u 
women were not considered much worthy then
well the situation for women still has not changed much
but at that time i think it was all the more prominent
girls had only 1 aim in life - to marry and have children
they did not have much freedom to lead life their own way 
they had almost no say in their own life decisions too 
Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: RageOfAnAngel

Nyc post yeah kinda portrays the sad state of women that even then a girl who is a manglik n her would be husband died was tainted to remain with a sorry fate forever ! but any man whose wife dies would be refrained from any such societal connotation

Yes the double standards are there? And they depicted the mindset of the time really well!