ROSID SS: RENDEZVOUS - by Archana Vinod

Archana_Vinod thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago

RENDEZVOUS

An original short story by Archana Vinod

*PLEASE, STRICTLY NO PLAGIARISM*

Coming up... a short action piece to get that adrenaline pumping. Hope you guys will enjoy.

An Overview:

On a cozy rainy evening, 12 year old Sid and Roli are totally engrossed in their favourite military computer game called "Rendezvous" (pronounced as "Ron-day-voo") when a sudden and unexpected bolt of lightning strikes their home and cause them to black out besides causing extensive damage.

Siddhant emerges from the flames and rubble as a fully grown adult and realizes that he has been magically transported INTO the game!

The problem is that he's not alone. His family along with Roli gets transported!

And this time, he's forced to be in the skin of a full-blooded combat soldier and fight a true to life battle!

His mission: to lead his team into the city of Tikrit in Iraq, infiltrate a hostile enemy camp and rescue the hostages - his family.

Pros: On successful completion of the mission, he gets to return home with his family and be "normal" again!

Cons: Unlike the game, there's just one life. If he loses the mission or dies during the operation, the game ends!

Will he and his team manage to succeed this mission? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Archana_Vinod thumbnail

RENDEZVOUS - PART 1

A RoSid SS/ OS by Archana Vinod

A cold and eerie night.

Huge pellets of rain fall from the sky and batter the earth.

Dark and towering thunder clouds rumble threateningly above Bharadwaj house - a dilapidated, smoking mess of rubble.

All colours come to life in the night as a blazing bolt of lightning lights up the surroundings.

There is movement under the debris. Someone fights to get out.

One by one, fragments of brick, stone and concrete roll off and a shaken man emerges from the rubble.

It is Siddhant, early 30's.

He is dazed and confused as he stumbles out from under the debris.

SIDDHANT: (looks around) Papa? Maa? (keeps looking) Mataji? Prem? Roli?

A loud clap of thunder answers his desperate calls.

What just happened?

FLASHBACK SCENE:

12 year old Sid plays his favourite military game "Rendezvous" at the PC while a sulky Roli awaits her chance.

ROLI: Enough na! Now give it to me!

SIDDHANT: Wait yaar! Just one more round!

Siddhant gets his "soldier" to fire a couple of rounds at his opponent.

SIDDHANT: (grins victoriously) Yes! Gotcha! Sucker!

ROLI: (impatiently, tries to push Sid off the chair) Enough na! It's my turn now!

SIDDHANT: Hey! Stop it yaar! What're you doing?

ROLI: (keeps trying to push him off the chair) Get up from there!

Siddhant gets annoyed and tugs hard at her pleated hair.

ROLI: Ahhooow!

Siddhant laughs hard.

Roli gets angry and punches him.

He punches her back!

The fight is on!

ROLI: (punches him relentlessly) You're going to lose this mission!

SIDDHANT: (punches back) We'll see!

The scuffle garners Sujata's attention. She walks hastily into the room.

SUJATA: Ya! What are you kids doing? Stop fighting! Siddhant! Stop hitting her!

ROLI: Look na aunty! I've been waiting for a long time! He never lets me have a go at it!

SUJATA: What is this Siddhant? She's younger to you! Why don't you let her play?

SIDDHANT: Maa! The last time I let her play she crashed this comp. Remember? And we had to get it repaired.

ROLI: Stop lying! I didn't do anything!

SIDDHANT: (smirks in contempt) Hah! Yeah, right!

ROLI: Admit it, you don't want me to play, that's why you're making up all these cock and bull stories.

Siddhant laughs sarcastically.

ROLI: (begins to cry) I hate you!

Siddhant laughs more.

SUJATA: (in a stern voice) Stop it Siddhant! And get up from that chair! Let her play now! See? You made her cry!

SIDDHANT: But Maa...

SUJATA: No buts. Let her play, you can take turns in a while. 

Now it's Siddhant's turn to sulk. He gets up from the chair, moves aside and watches Roli hop on and play.

SUJATA: (to Siddhant) After sometime you can play, ok beta? Don't fight like this! Both of you are best buddies, aren't you?

Sujata gives him a quick hug before leaving the room.

As soon as she leaves, Siddhant tries to push Roli out of the chair.

ROLI: Aunty!

Siddhant claps her mouth shut.

SIDDHANT: Shush! Shut up!

She bites his hand.

SIDDHANT: (pulls off) Owww!

ROLI: Youuu!

She prepares to pounce on him, but...

A LOUD CLAP OF THUNDER knocks her out of track. She runs to Siddhant and clings on to him instead.

ROLI: (trembles in fear) Hey Matarani!

Siddhant laughs, amused.

The lightning gets brighter. The thunder gets LOUDER.

Sujata can be heard saying: "kids, turn off the PC, the weather is a bit rough."

But -

What greets them is a blinding light!

END OF FLASHBACK SCENE

Siddhant is terrified. Oh my God, the lightning... are they alright?

He begins to tear off the debris frantically as he chants "please God, let them be okay".

The rain bears down on him hard as he works at the rubble, groaning as he lifts off a particularly large and heavy boulder.

SIDDHANT: Papa! Maa! Roli! Where are you?

No response, except for the crackling and sputtering of a wireless device strapped to his bullet proof vest.

WIRELESS: Bravo, come in please.

Bullet proof vest? Hang on...

That is the moment he realizes that something is not right. He takes a good look at his hands. Why does it look different? Why does it look ripped and heavily veined like that of a really strong man's?

He looks down at himself. He is not wearing the little T-shirt and shorts anymore. Rather, he is clad in the army's camouflaged uniform meant for desert warfare. A wireless device sits on his black Kevlar vest. Strapped around one of his thighs is a pouch packed with a fearsome looking knife and a pistol for close combat.

What's this? Why am I dressed like this? Why do I look like this? What happened?

He feels his face and instantly realizes that it's different. No more of that boyish feel, but prickly stubbles of a man brush against his hands.

His wireless sputters again.

WIRELESS: Company leader calling Bravo! Come in please! 

Should I answer it? Siddhant is confused. He doesn't even know what to say.

SIDDHANT: Hello?

WIRELESS: What took you so long Captain? 

Siddhant is speechless. "Captain"?

SIDDHANT: I...

WIRELESS: Prepare to brief your team on "Operation Tikrit". Here're your instructions. Down the street, you'll find a truck waiting for you with your boys. Here, you'll be supplied with your weapons and taken to the open plot where a chopper will fly you to the insertion point, the city of Tikrit in Iraq.

A cold chill shudders down his spine. Tikrit? Iraq?? What the hell is happening?

WIRELESS: You must proceed to the base, infiltrate the camp and lead the hostages to the extraction point.

Siddhant is really very confused now. Is this a dream? Or is it for real?

SIDDHANT: Wait. Hang on. Actually, who is this? And could you please tell me what's going on?

WIRELESS: I'm Colonel R.B. Singh. You have been teleported into your PC game during the storm. The only way out is to complete the mission.

SIDDHANT: But what happened to my family and my friend?

WIRELESS: They're part of your mission now. You'll find them being held as hostages at the enemy camp. Rescue and lead them unscathed to the rendezvous point and you'll get back home to your original state.

SIDDHANT: Hostages? (angry and upset) What's the meaning of all this? I want my friend and family back!

WIRELESS: So go and get them. Your mission starts now.

~ End of wireless transmission~

... TO BE CONTINUED 

Archana_Vinod thumbnail

RENDEZVOUS - PART 2

Written by Archana Vinod

SIDDHANT: (talks into the wireless) Hello? (no transmission) Hello!??

Siddhant looks around in utter confusion and helplessness. Teleported into the game? Family held as hostages? I'm a soldier? A Captain? This is so absurd. How can something like this happen? What am I supposed to do?

He moves away from the ruins of his house and begins to walk down the street just as instructed.

The community which was once teeming with life looks abandoned like a ghost town. The houses all look empty. In ruins. Old and battered. Where is everyone? What happened?

SIDDHANT: (looks around for signs of movement) Hello? Is anyone there?

He stops before the plot of land where Roli's house used to be. But all what he finds are the remains of an "ancient" dwelling.

He stings in unbearable guilt as the hard truth hits him - he misses her terribly.

I wish I could have been a better friend to her. If only I would've let her know at least once that I enjoyed her presence every single minute. That I couldn't bear to be away from her! I wish I could've been sweeter with her. I've had ample opportunities but I've never cared to use them. Please God, just give me one last chance. I promise to set things straight.

With a heavy heart, he leaves behind the battered remains of his friend's house - the only thing that is left of her memory.

He moves on along the deserted streets. It's so dark and eerie. So cold and bone chilling. A gust of wind whistles in his ear and sends a chill down his spine. All the houses are dark and empty. Destroyed as if been hit by a war! It's like a living nightmare!

The rain has died down now. The wet earth squelches under his boots as he walks on. As he turns around the corner, he spots an army truck waiting for him with four other soldiers.

The men stand at attention as he closes in.

One of the soldiers steps forward and gives him a stiff salute. He is ALPHA 1.

ALPHA 1: Alpha 1 reporting for duty sir! Your equipment is ready!

Siddhant is speechless.

The three other soldiers step forward, salute him and introduce themselves.

"ALPHA 2 reporting for duty sir!"

"CHARLIE 1 reporting for duty sir!"

"CHARLIE 2 reporting for duty sir!"

SIDDHANT: Guys... listen. Something's very wrong. I really don't know what happened. I don't even know how I got here. But I'm not a Captain. I'm not even a soldier. I really can't lead you through this operation. I'm not the right guy for that.

ALPHA 1: Yes you are, sir! And you must because you are the chosen one. You are in charge of this operation.

CHARLIE 1: We have a deadline from the Iraqi General, sir. 24 hours.

SIDDHANT: Deadline for what?

CHARLIE 1: Deadline to complete this mission. After which your wife and family will be executed.

SIDDHANT: Hang on. "Wife" and family?

CHARLIE 1: Yes, sir.

SIDDHANT: No. This is all a mistake. I'm not even married.

ALPHA 2: Yes you are, sir. Roli Dwivedi is your wife.

Siddhant is shell-shocked. Roli? My wife? When did this happen? How?

CHARLIE 2: Unlike the game, you just have one chance, sir. If you or any of the hostages die in the game, we'll lose this mission and you can never return home again.

SIDDHANT: Do I have a choice?

ALPHA 2: Unfortunately no, sir. There's no turning back now.

Alpha 1 step up to Siddhant with his gear -

1.    A back pack - a heavy load of equipments and supplies.

2.     A bullet proof helmet

3.    An assault rifle

Siddhant puts them on one by one and gets into the truck.

Very soon, they are on the streets, headed to the open plot.

The once inhabited town is now practically empty. Not a single soul in sight. What the hell happened here? Siddhant feels more terrified by the minute. What could be in store for him? He has played this game umpteen times and he knew all the ins and outs of the game, but this mission... "Operation Tikrit" was never on the list. This is a bonus mission.

Though he found it fun and thrilling to riddle the other soldiers with bullets... or even himself for that matter, he now regrets it. This is not a game. This is reality. And it's no fun at all!

What if I really get shot? What if I get killed? What if I'm not able to make it to the deadline? What will happen to my family? What will they do to Roli? All these thoughts make him want to cry but he tries to control himself.

The horrors of a soldier's life make him shudder in fear. He clutches on to his rifle. It's cold and heavy. I've never even seen a real gun in my life before, but now I have to use it! The other fearsome weapons in the game make him even more terrified cause he's going to come face to face with them now - grenades, tankers, heavily armed attack helicopters... Hey Uparwaale! Watch over all of us.

In a while, they reach the open plot and find the chopper waiting for them. The whipping blades of the chopper kick up a strong current of air that Siddhant almost falls to his knees.

They board the chopper. In a moment, they are up and cutting through the air to the insertion point.

Alpha 1 pulls out a map to plan out their attack. Siddhant for the first time gets to see a vague picture of the hell he's going to.

ALPHA 1: (points at a particular section in the map) The camp lies in a clearing behind this hill. One kilometer north of insertion point.

CHARLIE 2: According to Intel, the terrain is hostile. In addition, the camp is equipped with a tanker plus a good number of soldiers.

But Siddhant seems disturbed.

SIDDHANT: Wait a second. If we have just 24 hours to complete this mission, how are we supposed to get to Tikrit that fast? It's a really long way!  

ALPHA 1: There are a couple of cheats here too, sir.

SIDDHANT: Cheats?

Alpha 1 doesn't reply. Rather he fixes his gaze at an approaching mist of dark clouds.

Siddhant is perplexed.  

SIDDHANT: What? What is it?

WHUP-WHUP-WHUP-WHUP

They fly straight into the clouds. And as they do, time seems to stand still. They get surrounded by nothing but an endless grey.

Siddhant covers his ears as it begins to hum and buzz painfully. His head reels and feels heavy.

SIDDHANT: (moans faintly) Stop... stop... stop it...

He can't bear it anymore. He must throw up now!

... TO BE CONTINUED

Archana_Vinod thumbnail

RENDEZVOUS - PART 3

By Archana Vinod

IN THE CHOPPER - NIGHT

Siddhant keels over and begins to gag throatily, but nothing comes out!

CHARLIE 2: (helps him up) You alright, Captain?

He can see nothing but a solo shade of irritating, dull grey. He hears nothing but a low humming sound. Lightning flashes around them at spots. The chopper's deafening noise begins to take over.

SIDDHANT: (faintly) Stop... I can't take it anymore.

CHARLIE 2: Hang in there, sir. We're almost there.

And sure enough, they fly through a dense tower of thick grey clouds into a hot cloudless afternoon sky.

The humming disappears. The grey disappears. Now all what surrounds them are the deep blue sky and an endless desert of flaming yellow sand below. Siddhant looks around, dumbfounded.

SIDDHANT: Wait... what just happened?

ALPHA 1: (winks) Cheats employed.

CHARLIE 2: Welcome to the city of Tikrit. We're ten kilometers away from the insertion point.

Siddhant is impressed. They had just gone through a portal into another country!

PILOT: Approaching the insertion point. Prepare to land.

Sid and his team equip themselves quickly and wait at the door.

In a couple of minutes, the chopper makes a touch-down. The whirling blades sweep up a torrent of dust and sand into the air.

The men jump down and move in as the chopper rises into the air and disappears. They shield their exposed noses with a scarf and eyes with dark goggles as they make their way to the enemy camp.

Siddhant begins to trudge along the desert dunes with his team. It's damn hot! The sweltering breeze hits the men hard on their faces and almost scorches them alive. He looks up at the blazing sun briefly and is instantly hit by another wave of nausea and blindness.

ALPHA 2: It's around 43.6 degrees Celsius.

Occasionally, a strong gust blows up a wallop of sand into the air. 

As they close in on the hill, their wireless devices sputter and crackle softly. It's Col. R.B. Singh.

COL. R.B. SINGH: Company leader calling team Raven. Come in please.

The men respond: "Team Raven reporting, sir."

COL. R.B. SINGH: Excellent. You are now approaching the enemy camp. Be wary, the Iraqis are heavily armored and extremely hostile. Charlie 1 and Charlie 2, I need you to go around the perimeter and cover up for Bravo and Alpha 1.

"Done sir," they respond.

COL. R.B. SINGH: Alpha 2, you will stay ambushed on top of the hill. Take down the watch tower.

ALPHA 2: Yes sir!

COL R.B. SINGH: Bravo and Alpha 1, you will proceed to the enemy camp, rescue the hostages and lead them to the extraction point.

ALPHA 1: Yes sir!

COL R.B. SINGH: Bravo, do you read me?

Siddhant is lost. All these instructions give him the chills. Just like in the game! He can't imagine what's waiting for him down there. Anything could happen.

COL. R.B. SINGH: Bravo! Come in please!

SIDDHANT: Yes sir.

COL. R.B. SINGH: Stay awake, Captain! It will cost you.

SIDDHANT: Yes sir. Sorry sir.

COL. R.B. SINGH: And remember, Bravo, you need to get the hostages to EP unscathed. If you or any of your hostages get killed in the process, you die for good.

SIDDHANT: (after a brief pause) Understood, sir.

COL. R.B. SINGH: Excellent. All the best, boys!

~End of wireless transmission~

The team proceeds to the camp.

Charlie 1 and Charlie 2 go around the hill as instructed.

Alpha 2 scales up the hill and stays ambushed with a silenced sniper rifle.

Alpha 2's point of view: Down the hill, he can see an array of small tents around a much larger one. Two manned watch towers stand across the perimeter. Four jeeps are stationed at another corner. Four armed devilish looking soldiers guard the camp.

ALPHA 2: (whispers into his wireless) Team Raven, I have my eyes on the target. Taking down the manned towers!

He comes to focus on Tower 1.

A clean silent shot escapes Alpha 2's sniper rifle and SPITS into the soldier on Tower 1. The man collapses without a sound.

ALPHA 2: (whispers into his wireless) Tower 1 down.

The next one falls quietly.

ALPHA 2: (into his wireless) Both towers taken.

It's their cue. Siddhant and Alpha 1 go around the hill and advance in on the camp from both sides.

The spirit of the game begins to kick in for Siddhant. Take it easy, he tells himself, just calm down. This is not real. It's a game. And you're going to win this game as usual. You're going to make it. He takes a deep breath. He feels like a real Captain now. A real soldier.

SIDDHANT: (to Alpha 1 on the wireless, quietly) Alpha 1, take down the men from the other end. Proceed with caution.

ALPHA 1: Yes, sir.

Siddhant stays low as he quietly advances in on the camp.

A hefty Iraqi soldier prowls around cradling a heavy rifle.

Siddhant withdraws his knife as he closes in unnoticed. He grapples the soldier, clamps his mouth shut and slashes his throat. He falls to the ground with a bloody gag.  

Iraqi Soldier #2 turns around at his companion's fall. He spots Siddhant and raises his rifle to shoot him down!

... TO BE CONTINUED

Archana_Vinod thumbnail

RENDEZVOUS - PART 4

By Archana Vinod

Iraqi Soldier #2 aims his rifle at Siddhant and prepares to shoot.

SOLDIER #2: (shouts in Arabic) SOUND THE ALA---

Siddhant is quick!

ZIP! He hurls his knife straight at the soldier's throat. It cuts through the air, pierces through his Adam's apple and muffles out his alert into a throaty barf.  

Movement in the neighbouring tent catches his eye. He swiftly moves in.

Soldier #3 curses in Arabic and bolts out with a rifle.

BLAM! Siddhant elbows him with savage force in the nose, floors him with a knee to his groin and another hard elbow to his spine. The soldier FLUMPS face down into the sand.

On the other side - Alpha 1 takes down the soldiers with his silenced pistol and moves in.

Soldier #4 appears out of nowhere and riddles Alpha 1 with a stiff line of bullets. He falls down dead!

BACK TO SIDDHANT

His wireless sputters: ALPHA 1 IS DOWN! ALPHA 1 IS DOWN!

SOLDIER #4: (in Arabic) WE'RE UNDER ATTACK! WATCH TOWERS TAKEN! SOUND THE ALARM!

A loud BLARE rings through the air!

One by one, the rest of the soldiers pour out from their tents and begin to open fire at Siddhant!

He ducks and rolls away from the line of target to his only source of cover - a military jeep! But it's no match for the bullets being sprayed at it!

SIDDHANT: (into his wireless) Requesting team Raven for back up! I'm under attack! Open fire! I repeat- open heavy fire!

CHARLIE 1: Charlie 1 and 2 moving in to cover, sir!

ALPHA 2: Taking down exposed targets!

Alpha 2 continues to remain ambushed as he takes down their hostile opponents one by one!

Charlie 1 and 2 advances on the camp with heavy suppressing fire!

The Iraqis realize that they are being attacked from the hill!

SOLDIER #5: (in Arabic) SNIPER ON THE HILL!

Some soldiers prepare to go around the hill and scale it.

ALPHA 2: (into his wireless) Charlie 1 and 2 take the rein! My position has been compromised!

Alpha 2 prepares to defend himself.

BACK TO SIDDHANT -

WHIZZ! ZIP! BLAM!! Siddhant cringes behind the jeep as it gets battered from the shower of bullets. I must get out of here fast! If the tank gets hit, I'll be blown to smithereens! And I won't be able to rescue my family! I won't be able to rescue Roli!  

Siddhant struggles to move out from there. But they won't even let him budge an inch! He continues to get battered with bullets.

It's now or never! He risks it all and leaps away from the jeep, falls and somersaults to his next line of defense - a tent! He takes cover behind the tent and sprays a wide arc of bullets at his combatants, all the while making sure to keep away from sight. The thick canvas of the tent is nothing for the Iraqi's heavy duty artillery.

Charlie 1 and 2 move deeper into the base and take down the enemy combatants! They stab the Iraqis with their bayonets, fire bullets; bash them up with the butts of their rifles!

The air is filled with the relentless BLASTS of firearms. It almost sounds like a festival with all the fireworks!

Siddhant flits from tent to tent, taking out the remaining soldiers and looking for the hostages.

He reaches the centre of the base where the largest tent is situated.

As he stumbles in through the opening he gets greeted with a volley of bullets!

A stray bullet roughly grazes his arm as it WHIZZES past him!

He caves in pain and surprise.

SIDDHANT: Ahh!

The bullets keep coming at him, riddling the tent with holes as it does! What the f***! From where the hell is this coming?

He looks around frantically and spots the source of fire! Inside the tent - an irritating opponent crouches behind a large metal desk and shoots persistently whilst cursing in Arabic!

Siddhant has had enough of this nonsense! With a LOUD BATTLE CRY, he lunges at the soldier and kicks him to the ground!

BLAM! Siddhant gets shot in the leg!

SIDDHANT: (staggers back) Ah!

The pain drives him nuts! He's boiling mad now!

The crouching soldier fires at him again. Siddhant ROARS in rage, delivers a powerful knee to his jaw and sends him sprawling across the ground.

Siddhant doesn't give him the chance to recover. He kicks him down again and finishes him with a STAB of his bayonet.

His heart is pounding! His head is reeling! He is breathless and mottled with sweat, blood and grime.

More movement in the corner of the tent! He swerves around wildly ready for another attack!

But he pauses and lowers his rifle.

Before his eyes, the hostages sit huddled together in a corner - his family and Roli!

He meets Roli's dark, sparkling eyes for the first time and is awe struck. Am I dreaming? Is this really her?

No one recognizes him. But he does - he recognizes his parents and Mataji. Who could be the other two other than Prem and Roli?

He hobbles to them quickly and begins to untie them.

SIDDHANT: Everyone calm down. It's me, Siddhant. I'm getting you out of here.

SUJATA: (smiles happily) Siddhant?

SIDDHANT: Haan Maa.

RAJENDAR: What's happening beta? What's all this?

SIDDHANT: Long story Papa. I'll explain once we get home.

As soon as Sujata is undone, she hugs and kisses her son.

SUJATA: (tearfully) Oh thank God! Thank God!

SIDDHANT: Calm down Maa. I'm here now. You'll be fine. Trust me.

Roli watches him intently. Siddhant? I don't believe it... he's barely recognizable. Who would have ever thought that he would grow from an irritating little pest into a charming, chiseled stallion? Moreover, he even "feels" different. He seems to have "softened" up. He doesn't seem to be that inconsiderate little brat anymore!

Siddhant is at Roli now; he kneels down before her as he unties her hands and feet. As he does, their eyes meet once again.

Memories come flooding back to them - their cat fights, their moments spent together. They realize that though there were moments that they hated each other and didn't want to talk ever again, they did miss each other terribly! In fact, they never wanted to be apart ever!

Siddhant gives a soft smile and makes Roli blush like crazy.

SIDDHANT: (undoes her feet) What?

ROLI: (nods) Nothing. (spots the wound on his leg and arm) Are you alright? How're you doing?

SIDDHANT: Ah. I'll be alright. We need to get out of here fast.

An audible gasp alerts Siddhant.

Roli looks up in horror.

The barrel of a gun prods Siddhant at the back of his head. He slowly tries to turn around, eager to get a glimpse of what he's up against.

But a voice with a heavy Arabic accent warns him: Don't be stupid.

... TO BE CONTINUED

Archana_Vinod thumbnail

RENDEZVOUS - PART 5

By Archana Vinod

Siddhant looks questioningly into Roli's sparkling eyes.

She looks into his briefly before batting her eyes in rapid succession for five consecutive times. "Five men," she gestures with her eyes.

"Get up," the voice orders.

Siddhant does as he's told. His weapons are retrieved and hands are instantly bound with a thick rope.

The freed hostages are bound once again.

"Tie him to that chair," the voice orders again.

Siddhant is led to a wooden post, forced around and bound. He is now face to face with his enemy combatants and their leader - Col. Massoud Ahmed, an unkind, battle-scarred face in his late 30's.

COL. MASSOUD: You've done enough damage out here. Thank your lucky stars for the Geneva Pact or I would have skinned you and your mates alive.

To his horror, they bring in Alpha 2. He too is bound to a chair.

COL. MASSOUD: He's the only one left. The rest will be packed in a casket and sent back home.

Siddhant's heart sinks. His brothers in arms... are dead. Though he never felt any sort of attachment towards these action figures in the game, the case is different now. His short bonding over the battle field makes him cringe with the loss. His heart goes out to those soldiers who share a much closer relationship with each other. How do they manage to cope up with the loss? Truth is, they never do.

COL. MASSOUD: (checks his watch) The hostages were due to be executed in four hours. (Glares at Siddhant) You just speeded that up. (to his subordinate) Get that girl over here. 

SOLDIER: Yes sir!

Siddhant is flustered! What is this guy going to do?

Col. Massoud loads his gun as the soldier forces Roli on to her feet and drags her to his leader's feet.

She shrieks in sheer panic.

SIDDHANT: No-no-no! Wait-wait-wait! Just listen to me-just listen to me! Please!

Col. Massoud ignores him. He jabs the barrel of his loaded pistol onto her forehead and prepares to shoot!

SIDDHANT: (panics) No! Don't hurt her! I'll do anything!

Col. Massoud pauses.

COL. MASSOUD: (smiles shrewdly) Anything?

SIDDHANT: Yes.

COL. MASSOUD: (sarcastically) Anything?

SIDDHANT: You heard me!

COL. MASSOUD: (laughs) Wow! So precious, eh? Well, in that case... (puts the gun to Siddhant's head this time)

The hostages gasp and plead with Massoud to spare Siddhant. But he pays no attention.

One of his soldiers's come into the tent.

SOLDIER: Sir, it's time for the namaz.

COL. MASSOUD: (after a brief pause) I'll decide your fate after the prayer.

They take a deep breath as Massoud and the soldiers exit the tent for their prayers.

ALPHA 2: Thank God. That was close.

Siddhant checks out his family and Roli. She looks shaken up.

He looks around. They don't have much time. Somehow, they must escape.

Quietly, he tips over on his chair. Alpha 2 follows the same cue, crawls over to Siddhant and chews at the ropes. All the while, they take nervous glances at the entrance, hoping and praying that none of the Iraqis turn up.

In a moment, Siddhant's hands are free. He goes on to untie Alpha 2 and his family.

Alpha 2 quietly moves towards the entrance and takes a cautious peek. He can see Massoud and the other soldiers engaged in prayer.

ALPHA 2: (whispers to Siddhant) Sir, it's risky to exit unnoticed. The Iraqis are right across this tent. They will easily spot us.

Siddhant acquires his weapons.

SIDDHANT: We'll need to find another way then.

MOMENTS LATER

Massoud and his men finish their prayers and proceed to the tent.

What greets their eyes leave their jaws hanging in disbelief.

The hostages and POW's are gone - a gaping hole has been cut open on the other side of the tent.

MASSOUD: (furious) What are you gawking at? Go-go-go! Go find them! Kill them at sight!

FAR AWAY FROM THE BASE

Siddhant and Alpha 2 lead the hostages across the desert towards the extraction point.

The sweltering heat beats down hard and leaves them exhausted.

ALPHA 2: (to Col R.B. Singh) Team Raven reporting sir, we have acquired the hostages and are now proceeding to the extraction point.

COL. R.B. SINGH: Excellent. The chopper is on the way.

Siddhant's attention drifts towards Roli once again. She has a tough time keeping up.

SIDDHANT: (waits for her to catch up) Just a little more.

ROLI: (breathless) I can't---go on --- any more ---

SIDDHANT: (reaches out for her hand) Just a little more. You're going to make it. (pauses to listen to a rumbling sound) See? The chopper's coming.

ALPHA 2: (horrified) I don't think that it's ours...

The rumbling gets louder and closer.

Sheer terror strikes through as they spot a heavily armed attack helicopter rise over the dunes.

... TO BE CONTINUED 

Archana_Vinod thumbnail

RENDEZVOUS - PART 6

By Archana Vinod

The Iraqi helicopter, piloted by Col. Massoud, flies over the dunes. He is accompanied by three men.

COL. MASSOUD: (gnashes his teeth) Found you!

On the ground, the Indian soldiers and hostages are in a fix.

SIDDHANT: Run-run-run!

They break into a furious sprint. In spite of the adrenaline rush, they struggle to waddle across the hot, sweltering desert.

MATAJI: (breathless) I"can't---run---anymore---

SIDDHANT: No! Mataji! Keep up - keep up!

The heat gets to Roli. She trips over and FLUMPS to the sand.

SIDDHANT: Roli!

He dashes across to her but gets cut off by a sudden blast of bullets from the air. He cowers in defense.

SIDDHANT: Everybody stay down!

The chopper opens fire as it flies across and back.

A humongous bullet hits Sujata in the leg.

SUJATA: Ahhh!!!

Siddhant is furious!

SIDDHANT: Alpha 2! Fire at will!

They adopt the crouch stance and spray a hard jet of bullets at the chopper.

Their bullets CLANG against the metal of the chopper but it flies across unaffected, turns around and returns full fire!

Alpha 2 gets hit on the shoulder and chest, inches away from his heart. He is thrown off his feet from the impact.

Another bullet hits Mataji in the leg.

Siddhant is flustered. He fires furiously at the chopper's tank.

SIDDHANT: Alpha 2! Not yet! Hang on! I need your support!

Alpha 2 staggers to his knees and shoots at the chopper.

SIDDHANT: The tank! The tank! Go for the tank!

Col. Massoud realizes that trouble is brewing.

The chopper's siren begins to SCREAM in protest.

He desperately tries to keep it afloat.

BOOOM!

The chopper BLOWS APART and CRASHES to the sand in a smoking ball of flames.

ALPHA 2: (all smiles) We did it, sir! We did it!

SIDDHANT: (falls to his knees, busted) You did very good, Alpha 2.

ALPHA 2: Thank you sir. You too. See? We told you that you were the one.

Siddhant is quiet.

SIDDHANT: You're right. I guess that a strong sense of purpose is what forces us to get through the impossible... Alpha... no... that's not your real name, is it?

ALPHA 2: No. It's Shourya... Shourya Singhania.

LATER

Shourya, Siddhant and his family is finally picked up from the extraction point. They are now headed home.

They are all covered in dirt, blood and grime.

Siddhant sits at the door with the rifle on his side. He has just had an incredible journey of self realization. What he thought was never possible has now been accomplished. What led him through it? Helplessness? Desperation? Love?

His attention drifts off to Roli once again. He's instantly surprised to see her watching him intently.

She smiles at him proudly.

However, he feels uncomfortable to look into the eyes of the girl he bullied a few hours back, as a twelve year old. Is this incident a glimpse to my future by any chance? Am I really going to marry her? This is crazy... but how? I still can't figure out how all this is possible.

MUCH LATER

They fly through the portal from the blazing hot Tikrit into the rain-beaten, cool comfort of their home land. But the eerie emptiness of their once populated town gives them a sinking feeling.

In a moment, they touch down.

One by one, they all get off the chopper and make their way home.

Siddhant shakes hands with Shourya and gives him a quick hug.

SIDDHANT: In one way, I'm happy that it's all over and in another way, I'm not.

SHOURYA: I get what you mean, sir. It was great working with you. I do wish we could go on more missions together.

SIDDHANT: Is this going to end now?

SHOURYA: The game? It has been completed successfully.

SIDDHANT: But--- what about---

But Shourya simply gets into the chopper and takes off.

SHOURYA: I'll see you tomorrow night.

SIDDHANT: Again? Why?

Shourya grins in response.

Siddhant watches on baffled as the chopper rises in the air and disappears into the black sky.

He begins his long way home and catches up with his family in a while.

It begins to drizzle again.

A cold, wet arm slides around his and startles him. It's Roli.

ROLI: Thank God. It's all over.

Siddhant is quiet as they walk along the squelching mud.

ROLI: I thought I'd never see you again.

Siddhant pauses, confused, so many questions running through his mind.

SIDDHANT: Do you feel that this is all real?

ROLI: (after a long pause) I don't know.

SIDDHANT: (frustrated) They told me that everything would be the same again once I got it over with. But nothing has changed. They---

ROLI: They're right. And they're wrong.

SIDDHANT: What?

ROLI: They're right. Everything would be the same again. And they're wrong. Nothing will be the same ever again.

SIDDHANT: What do you mean?

Without a word, Roli draws in closer and caresses him on the lips with hers.

Siddhant is stunned.

The puzzle seems to fall into place.

Everything would be the same again ---

Nothing will be the same ever again ----

He pulls her close and gets lost as his kiss meets hers. The freezing drops of rain prick their skin with an eerie sense of reality.

God--- her kiss... it's taking my breath away... my chest... it's pounding hard... she's right...

Nothing will be the same ever again...

Siddhant feels her warm, life giving breath travel straight to his lungs.

His chest is about to explode! It almost feels as if it's been pumped!

He feels choked.

He begins to cough.

Roli watches him intently.

COUGH-COUGH-COUGH!

She pounds him hard on the chest.

SIDDHANT: W-what are you doing?

She pounds him again!

He goes into a COUGHING fit...

---- and WAKES up as his 12 year old self.

Dr. Sharma, pounds Siddhant hard on his chest.

He had been struggling to resuscitate him all this while.

DR. SHARMA: He's come around. Get him something to drink.

Rajendar and Sujata rub 12 year old Siddhant's back as he struggles to catch his breath.

Little Roli stands on and watches the scene in terror.

Mataji offers him a drink.

SUJATA: Thank God!

Siddhant wheezes as he looks around in confusion.

Everything's the same again---

SIDDHANT: W-what just happened?

SUJATA: You got a terrific electric shock, beta. Now do you understand why I tell you not to operate anything during a thunderstorm? We thought we lost you.

Siddhant is baffled and relieved at the same time. It was just a dream!

THE NEXT DAY

Roli's at Siddhant's home once again.

She is surprised to find him looking a bit dreamy.

ROLI: How are you now?

He looks over at her quietly. And as he does, everything comes flooding back to him. The mission, the escape, the rain, the kiss... God... she looked and felt like heaven!

ROLI: What? Why are you looking at me like that?

SIDDHANT: I'm sorry.

ROLI: Huh? For what?

SIDDHANT: I know that I was a bully. I could have been a bit better.

ROLI: (gets it) It's okay.

SIDDHANT: From now on, you can play as much as you want. I won't stop you.

ROLI: (excited) Really?

SIDDHANT: Yup.

ROLI: Why the big change all of a sudden?

SIDDHANT: Because--- (he doesn't know what to say) because I love you yaar.

He hugs her, plants a quick peck on her cheek and runs away. Roli is dumbfounded.  

THAT NIGHT

Siddhant sits down to play another game of Rendezvous. It all feels so different now... and eerie.

He finds his boys on the screen again - Alpha 1, 2, Charlie 1 and 2. Is he ready for another mission? What if I get trapped in the game again? I don't want to be separated from my family and Roli again!

To his surprise, Alpha 2 winks at him.

~ THE END~