desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago
Just followed up on the case on Salman. 
I have mixed feelings actually. I think most of you would know I have no sympathy or love for Salman Khan. He's not even one of my favorite actors (I don't think he acts anymore, period).

But as for his punishment, I was reflecting on drunk driving vs killing with intent, and how accountable one has to be.

You take a life, you pay for it. Granted. 
Nothing will bring back that loved one for the families that lost. But is punishing someone with jail time so many years afterwards any consolation? 
I don't know. Maybe have the accused support the victim's family, pay for college, tuition, bring them out of their poverty, do some good.

I guess the reason I'm a bit muddled up is this. Let me know what you think about this.
There's a girl in my school. I won't disclose her name, but she's somewhat known pro fitness and figure competitor in the states. 
Recently my friends and I discovered that if you go on her wikipedia page, there's a controversial story.
She was involved in a driving accident where she killed a senior citizen because she was on her phone. Her father is loaded and paid the family enough so that his daughter never showed up to any of the court hearings. The insurance company settled with the victim's family for $255 K.
Today, she just completed 2 years of medicine with me. She's on her way to becoming a Physician. 
Someone like that is becoming a doctor. 

Is what she did different from what Salman Khan did? 
How is it that in one part of the world the punishment for a crime like this is simple while in another part of the world the same crime gets you a more severe sentence?

Just made me think.
Leave your thoughts below.

P.S.
I am neither defending nor supporting Salman. Just rambling. 
Edited by desigal90 - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dietcoke1 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
sorry but why is there a separate topic just for your post about salman?😛

Thats girls father paid off the family with compensation. But in this case from what I've seen in the news it seems like salman was too busy helping the rest of the world except for the victims of his hit n run case. Most of them still haven't received any compensation. The man who died, his wife had to start working n son had to leave school, another guy who was injured had to go back to village coz he cud no longer work. they still haven't received any money.

Perhaps if Salman had handled the whole thing better from the start - 1. not running away from scene of the accident n maybe taken the victims to hospital 2. Supporting n compensating the families of those whose lives got destroyed 3. Maybe even owning up to his mistake at that time - perhaps things could have played out differently and he wud have come out looking alot more dignified. Salman has had plentyyy of success and is a living legend of bollywood...so it's not the same as sending a 20yr old to jail. I also feel sad that he may have to go to jail but if we did the same, wud we be spared n forgiven? I really like all the charity work he has done, so i do feel if he goes to jail alot of ppl will miss out on his help. wish there was an answer for this.
Edited by dietcoke1 - 8 years ago
desigal90 thumbnail
I just came straight to IF after reading up on the case verdict online. 
should have looked for the other topic.
Feel free to lock this or merge it with any topics I suppose. 
dietcoke1 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Correction: just read that apparently salman n his family did deposit money for the victims but it never reached them. so dont know. 

@desigal..it doesnt bother me, was jus saying :)
Edited by dietcoke1 - 8 years ago
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
umm, completeeely unrelated

does this mean you just graduated? CONGRATULATIONS! 😊
desigal90 thumbnail
Chippeshwani, not even close yaar. Only 2 years down. 
2 more to go, and then a few more of residency. But we are done with the basic sciences years and will now start rotations so yayy! Thanks though. 

@Dietcoke.
Yeah, I just feel like maybe holding him accountable for the victim's families, his children's education, food, clothing, shelter would have done them more good than sending the man to jail after 14 years post incident. Like how would it feel to be the victim's family right now?

I would still feel cheated thb. Like thanks...but...err...now what. 

Sometimes, revenge or making someone pay or punishing someone isn't enough to make another feel good. 
But if someone's punishment was then to help the family, I would have seen a lot more good come out of it.

But then again, that's an ideal world and I'm not aware if such ideals would even work in practical life
Edited by desigal90 - 8 years ago
Sanju_ thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

I know I am going to get mocked and bashed, but how many of these people who are rejoicing will come forward to donate/help the victims? How many of them actually feel the justice has been served wherein the victims themselves do not equate Salman going to jail to them getting justice? Is Salman going to the jail  the most justified action? I don't really think so...not after all these years!! It is sad but couple of them rejoicing are using humanity aspect to try to hide their hatred for a celebrity! 

It's true no one is above the law and Salman is no exception...he had wronged and he is being punished, but it is also equally true that his case has been aggravated due to his celebrity status and the zealous detractors! To me compensating the victims and Salman being jailed for 2 years would be the best solution in this scenario. I detest people who drink and drive because by doing so, they are risking other innocent people's lives as well, hence, a punishment is a must. However, in this case, Salman serving 5 years of jail term is not the only ideal solution...the most important thing is victims getting the true justice...Anyway Karma bites back and Salman is being bitten as well...in fact, he has been for the longest time, but Karma is not exclusive to celebrities, some members here shouldn't forget this!!! Some of them have shown new lows in bashing Salman and celebrating his conviction, which won't go unnoticed as well!  Some of them really need to understand the difference between homicide and murder and not exchange them interchangeably!!! Anyway all said and done, I hope the best for all the parties involved and hope everyone gets to be at a peaceful state eventually, victims by getting the proper justice and Salman by serving appropriate punishment,

kingmessi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I think I get what you mean. Like yesterday I was so frickin' happy that justice was served and I knew it was a LONG time coming but now what? What do the victim's family gain out of this now, years and years after the incident? It's almost a joke tbh. BUT I will be glad if he's put behind bars and serves his (puny) punishment, hopefully it's a wake-up call for others that karma catches up with everyone - even these celebs. 
Sanju_ thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: desigal90

Chippeshwani, not even close yaar. Only 2 years down. 

2 more to go, and then a few more of residency. But we are done with the basic sciences years and will now start rotations so yayy! Thanks though. 

@Dietcoke.
Yeah, I just feel like maybe holding him accountable for the victim's families, his children's education, food, clothing, shelter would have done them more good than sending the man to jail after 14 years post incident. Like how would it feel to be the victim's family right now?

I would still feel cheated thb. Like thanks...but...err...now what. 

Sometimes, revenge or making someone pay or punishing someone isn't enough to make another feel good. 
But if someone's punishment was then to help the family, I would have seen a lot more good come out of it.

But then again, that's an ideal world and I'm not aware if such ideals would even work in practical life

you are very right...in Western countries, people have their car insurance, so God forbid, something happens, the victims get hugely compensated though it can never overshadow the loss/pain the victims go through...however, something is always better than nothing...but I know this is not how it works in South Asian countries, the victims hardly get compensated, so I feel Salman should be made to look after the victims' families rather than limiting the punishment to 5 years jail term!!!
.Kiran. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I see what you're saying but wouldn't all the loaded people get away with their crimes because they have enough money to pay off victim's family? Then what about the poor ones? Would it be fair to send poor to jail for the same crime but let rich ones get away because they have enough money to compensate? Law is there for a reason. It's there to protect the citizens and punish the guilty ones. Personally, I feel guilty party should pay both compensation and serve the time. If everyone could get away by paying off money, loaded ones wouldn't give a damn about other people's lives because they know they have enough money to pay compensation amount and walk around freely. And what if victim's family doesn't need financial support? At least jail time would create some sorta fear in people's mind which can help lessen such accidents if not completely avoid them? Edited by .Kiran. - 8 years ago