Indians are obsessed with White Skin: Freida Pinto

seemarao2 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

In an Interview to USA Today , Freida Pinto opens up about her Break Up and India's fascination for white Skin

On her Break Up with Dev   

Everybody has their own little discoveries to make. Their own surprises, their own disappointments, and they're all part and parcel of life," she says. "There is no way one person can sit down and go, 'But why did this happen to me?' Or, 'It was all going well, what the hell happened?' Or, 'No, this just can't be,' the denial of it."  

"Running away from it is not going to help you find your answers. So we're facing it. And we're dealing,"  she says. "And Dev and I are best friends. That's never going to change."

On India's Fair and Lovely Obsession

A lot of girls growing up in India do not realize the beauty of their beautiful tan skin tone. Skin-lightening products are a big seller in the Indian cosmetics industry. On one of my trips to Los Angeles, someone walked up to me and said, "You have the most beautiful caramel-chocolate skin." In L.A. everyone is sunbathing or going to tanning shops; I wish the 1.2 billion people in India could have a little peek into this culture and appreciate what they have.  

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

iMini thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
yup,'people in LA are so obsessed with tanned skin and the girls there don't realize the beauty of their white skin.'

She has a point about many Indians being obsessed with white skin but at the same time she is justifying the obsession for tanned skin by the west..mainly because she herself is dark skinned.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
May be that's why "Fair and Lovely"..products are so famous in India...I feel,most desi guys would prefer a fair-skinned girl rather than one with a dark complexion.πŸ˜• but they don't know the fact that, 
so many of the fair skinned would not even hold a candle to them in terms of true beauty...Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder...(or beer holderπŸ˜›)
iMini thumbnail
^that sounds so much against fair skinned women.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: iMini

^that sounds so much against fair skinned women.

Disclaimer: the above comments are the  official view of the voices in my head & I don't care about skin color.

iMini thumbnail
^πŸ˜†
Actually am against color based discrimination.. be it favouring whites or bashing whites in the disguise of pretentious anti-discrimination POVs.
PS:by whites I meant fair skinned people..too lazy to type.😳
not.here thumbnail
Everyone is obsessed with colour.
I remember having debates with my friends 4 year back when she made that statement but its not just with Indian that have color obsession but its seen in every country. Its start when a baby is born, "Wow fair baby" or "Wow dark baby" and somehow they remember those words throughout their lifetime πŸ˜† Edited by 9tanki - 9 years ago
Druids thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
White people try to tan themselves because they are pale. Very few whites have good fair skin actually the way Indians like it.
But yes, Indians are obsessed. 
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Fair is appealing... not every dusky gal is has the same appeal... freida looks wierd for reasons other than just her dusky texture!!! Fair rules for gals.