blokes thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
I teach high school and I am always in the company of teens. One of the reasons for watching this show was the presence of teens on this show. Sadly, I have seen very little real "teen time" on this show. 
Sweet Suhani is stuck in the US on a flimsy pretext. Her portrayal was good, "real" but the wardrobe did a bad job on her. What the script writers did not understand about the US application system is that once you get your acceptance letter from the school, you can finish up all formalities via email and a bank wire. Also, from the time of your acceptance (which happens in March-April) and then Graduation (May-June) and then vacation until fall semester starting in Aug-Sept, you are not needed to be there physically. The timeline is totally whacky in this show to say the least. 

Now the diva, Nishi. For an 18 year old, she is so spoilt. I do think that when you compare Suhani with Nishi, the latter does appear to be a brat- selfish, wanting to marry her beau at all costs etc. Evidently, her mom is footing the bill for her college education and the least she can do is get her degree and a steady job before settling down in life. In yesterday's episode, Nishi does say that she is ready to cancel her wedding if it means that they need to sell the flat, but she was not very emphatic about it. It was more like a half-hearted attempt to earn brownie points from her mom. Frankly, the character is not well etched out by the writers.

Same goes for Arav, the Indian brother. I don't know what has happened in India in the past 20 years (as I have been here in the US for those years), but the average teen in India appears to be more "demanding" and less "caring" about their parents. There appears to be an entitlement mentality amongst the kids. 

Here in the US, the kids know their limits. Either they take up a job and earn their own money to pay for their "parties" or they just stay quiet and don't make ridiculous demands of their parents and money unless the parents themselves offer. When we were growing up in India, we never asked our parents for a party for our birthday- on the contrary, the tradition was go to the temple first thing in the morning and offering our thanks for a wonderful life followed by a visit to grandparents' home to get their blessings and then off to school with a bag of candy for all teachers and classmates. Parties were to be "seen" in Hindi movies with fancy cakes and decorations. If mom had learned to bake a cake from aunt, then we would get treated to a home made cake (made in the Bajaj oven borrowed from a neighbor or better yet, in a TTK pressure cooker in the steamer try!).

Then comes the sweet US brother (forget his name). He again shows the simplicity of being an average teen, interested in girls. What surprises me is that he doesn't have an interest in anything else. The average teen is either interested in video games or playing some sport, music or something and leverages that to find a "girl". That is the usual high schooler you will see here. Again, an incomplete character sketch by the writers. 

If I see these teens, I find that Pam has done a better job raising them as non-demanding individuals when compared to egoistic Ragini with her mother's support of bringing up her two kids. Absolutely no sanskars. Pathetic.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Baba thumbnail
Kids in India are pampered and learn responsibility very late... But they stay put with parents
blokes thumbnail

Originally posted by: Baba

Kids in India are pampered and learn responsibility very late... But they stay put with parents

true, baba. All the more, for staying back with their parents, one would imagine that they treat their parents with more care and love.
kat6k thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I agree, that all this insistence to be married at 18 is ridiculous .. Could they not have shown that she wants to go to the US to study Or study in some expensive college in india so she reaches out to her dad for support. I guess they wanted a reason for some social gathering to throw neil and ragini together .. But marriage at 18 đź¤˘
As for children being selfish, i think its just the age and also because its a tv show its exaggerated. If arav has had a birthday party every year, i think his expectation for one this year is reasonable and ragini's excuse for cacelling it is wierd. Its not as if she was getting peanuts for selling her home in mumbai and its not as if she is going to spend bazillions on that one event, would it hurt to spend a tiny amount on his birthday party  with samosas and cake? She could say no to a motorbike, but no to a party at home was a bit much.  I find ragini's character very cold and stiff at times. Self respect and holding head high is great but the coldness with which she interacts with her two children is unnatural. As for which of the kids are better, it might be just maslow's hierarchy at play .. When you get thing easily its easy to be generous. Neil's kids crave for a mother's love which they missed and ragini's kids miss the material things which they did not get. 
As for suhani and college .. How old is she anyway? Kids in go to undergrad school at 18 and isnt she supposed to be younger than aarav and aagam who are younger than nishi who is 18 ..or is she a genius?
--Evon-- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
I wouldn't fault the writers too much for the Suhani's parts with her admission. This is drama world, they make up rules as they go. But I agree about the other kids. Nishi is not responsible. Considering Ragini's sanskar lectures, her daughter seems quite immature and insensitive. I didn't expect it. 
I also didn't like Aarav's demands and outburst at their lifestyle... but I don't think it was necessarily unrealistic. I expected Ragini's kid to be a bit more mature but it was teen-like behavior. Even American teens make demands like this of cell phones, cars, tablets...

Suhani seems to be the most mature of them all. It seems like she understands that money is not everything.. but then again, Suhani and Agham always had the money, never had any financial issues. 
Edited by --Evon-- - 9 years ago
blokes thumbnail
kat6kay- interesting point you make about the kids yearning for love vs material things. yes, suhani's age and very presence makes for a mystery to be unravelled in time. according to the show, suhhani is around 16 or so. yes, kids in the us are 18-19 when they get to 4 yr college straight out of high school. but in her case, she must have completed her high school credits sooner which is entirely possible.
Infinitedreams thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Nice post!!

As a mother of an 18 year I somehow agree with you. I live in the US, and my son he has barely turned 18, and works part time instead of depending on us, and we support him for that because he has to learn to take responsibilities. Anyways, it's a different chapter, as you have mentioned about the character sketch of teens, I think the writer mainly wanted to show that no matter how strict of a mother Ragini is, somewhere she failed to give comfort to her children or fulfill their wishes, which their father could have. Same goes with Neil, he has given everything to his children but failed to give the love of a mother. In some ways all kids are selfish in their own ways. 

We shouldn't forget that Ragini is not only one taking care of her kids, but she is also a working woman, and Sunny Tai, and her mother are also around the kids, and they sometimes go against Ragini, and do things. In the first episode they showed how in Ragini's absence they do things, which they couldn't do in front of her. Also, how Sunny Tai encouraged the kids to contact their father, and talk to him about the marriage. Every kid has a different nature, and we have to deal with them according to their personality, their mentality, where Ragini is dealing with them according to her wishes. Moreover Sunny Tai and Ragini's mom supported them against Ragini's wish, so what else you can expect from kids, they become selfish. Instead of respecting her, and following her instructions they take her words as a form of oppression.

Nachiket kids gets more freedom in life, so as all privileged kids in their life, they expect the love of their parents. 

As a mother of 2 teenage kids I don't blame any of the kids of NeiRa, because they inherited it from their parents to be selfish people, because they didn't think about their kids when they decided to separate, and divided their family.

I think writer sketched the characters very well...

blokes thumbnail
infinitedreams: awesome postđź‘Ź thank you for your sage view on the subject. So true about their disregard for their children and going their own ways because of their personality clashes.
columbia thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: blokes

true, baba. All the more, for staying back with their parents, one would imagine that they treat their parents with more care and love.

Please don't brush all kids with one stroke 
And there is no such thing as India or anything 
A place does not make kids 
Parents and upbringing makes them 

columbia thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
I like what IB said and I partially agree 
But there is one angle that the cvs completely missed out on 

Kids of a single mom are very very different 
We grow up very fast 
We are fiercely protective of our moms 

In fact just the other day there was another post made by a single mom kid who and I shared with her how terribly they have etched the characteristics of ragini's kids 
In fact they have given them single stroke 

Deeper layers would have been kids of single moms who never ever complain about 
Lack of money 
We just don't do that