Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago

Well it wasn't because of the movie being wrong but misconstruing the title.

Long time back , just going by the title "Mirch Masala" assuming it to be a comedy the tickets were procured and as kids we were excited to have a fun filled evening.

But what a blunder!  Needless to say we left in between. πŸ˜†

Few Years back when I saw the  movie found its thought provoking  classic in itself.

delilah thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

πŸ˜†

Originally posted by: MNMS

I don't watch a movie till I don't read the reviews, friends opinion and Box office collections. Pretty strict criteriaπŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Ok now.. my set of "Oonchi dukaan pheeka pakawaan+ khoda pahar aur nikla chuhiya ka baccha" movies πŸ˜›(i know pretty late... but didn't had time to write so long post πŸ˜› )

3. K3G: i slept! couldn't bear those over the board emotions!! 

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

My friend, who wen to watch this movie, along with her family on the day it was released told me it was such a heart rending, tear jerker that even her Dad had cried a bucket of tears!!!......Now of course that increased my expectation levels even more higher...And was I DISAPPOINTED after watching this movie...

I kept wondering at which part of the movie are the tears supposed to flow!!!...The emotions were simply waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooo much and besides with all the finery in the locales and the sets, costumes, I paid more attention to those details!!!

The only saving grace in the movie was Jaya Bachan's splendid performance and the hot chemistry b/w SRK and Kajol, and the music of the movie. πŸ‘πŸΌ

For this reason, I was able to forget the over the top melodramatic acting by the Drama King and Queen (Hrithik & Kareena)

Why exactly are these cast together in soooo many movies...Together they can make a disaster of the most simplest of all story lines!!!πŸ˜†

ritzbitz thumbnail
Originally posted by: Buffie

LOL,even I wonder the same....πŸ˜†

SHolay was a fine movie,but why was it sooooooooooooo hypedπŸ˜•

I know everyone would laugh at this,but Dharmendra was boring(as usual),I found Hema Malini's ranting and her gibbering a tad irksome,Amitabh was good....But why was it SOOOOOOOOOOO hypedπŸ˜•....

Could any good connoisseur of movies elucidateπŸ˜›

i think sholay was a perfect hindi masala movie.. it had everything..

story,  action, songs, comedy, dance, revenge, thrill, dialogues....

well it looks just ok in this era but it definitely was a trend setter at that time

Simply_Smart thumbnail
Originally posted by: ritzbitz

i think sholay was a perfect hindi masala movie.. it had everything..

story,  action, songs, comedy, dance, revenge, thrill, dialogues....

well it looks just ok in this era but it definitely was a trend setter at that time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sholay

Sholay (Hindi: ????, Urdu: ????) (advertised in English as Embers, Flames, or Flames of the Sun) is one of the biggest blockbusters in the history of Bollywood, (India's Bombay film industry). It was released in 1975 and starred Sanjeev Kumar, Dharmendra, Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bhaduri, and Hema Malini. Amjad Khan, who primarily played villanous characters, held his own against some of the biggest stars in 1970s Bollywood cinema.

It is the highest grossing movie of all time in India. It has earned Rs. 2,134,500,000, equivalent to US $ 50 million,[1] after adjusting for inflation. In 1999, BBC India declared it the "Film of the Millennium"; in 2005, the judges of the 50th annual Filmfare awards called it the best film of the last 50 years.

When first released the film was declared a commercial disaster. Word of mouth convinced movie-goers to give the film a chance and soon it became a box-office phenomenon. It ran for 286 weeks straight in one Mumbai theatre, the Minerva.

Synopsis
Top to bottom: Gabbar Singh, Inspector Thakur, Veeru, Jai
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.

A retired police officer, Thakur Baldev Singh (Sanjeev Kumar) hires two convicts Jaidev and Veeru (Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra) to capture Gabbar Singh, a bandit chief who's terrorizing the small village of Ramgarh. Through a flashback we discover that the two petty criminals had once saved the Thakur's life after taking on a gang of bandits.

Through further flashbacks it is revealed that the Thakur had previously captured Gabbar, but that the latter escaped, and, in retribution, massacred the Thakur's entire family (with the exception of his daughter-in-law, who was not at home at the moment). When the Thakar had himself attempted to exact revenge on Gabbar for the massacre, he was captured and mutilated, having his arms cut off.

Once in the village, the cynical young Jaidev and Veeru find themselves growing fond of the villagers, taking pity on their sufferings under dacoit tyranny. Some of the villagers evoke more than fondness: both Veeru and Jai fall in love. Veeru is attracted to Basanti (played by Hema Malini), a feisty young woman who makes her living driving a tanga, or a horse-cart. Jai is drawn to Radha (Jaya Bhaduri), the reclusive widowed daughter-in-law. This being village India, the re-marriage of a widow next to unheard of; nonetheless, her father-in-law agrees that it would be best for her to wed Jai, and not lead an entire life of loneliness and misery.

Bloody clashes between Jai, Veeru, and the bandits follow. After much sorrow and suffering, the bandits are slain.

The film has two known endings. The original ending (shown in the Eros-released DVD) has Thakur baldev Singh killing Gabbar Singh, trampling him with spike-soled shoes. The C.B.F.C. (Central Board of Film Certification; that is, India's censor board), however, found the ending unpalatable. Police officers, even ex-police officers, should not be shown to commit murder. A new ending was filmed, in which the police arrest Gabbar Singh in the nick of time. Several other, smaller, changes were made, as well, which ceased to be necessary with the alteration.

Barring the ending, the two versions of the film are mostly the same.

That will tell you about the movie. It was declared a disaster before but then got recognition as it continued running. The famous dialouges "Kitne Admi the Kalia" "So jao bacha, nahin toh Gabbar aa jaye ga" these bring back many memories for the generation of the time. The movie had everything from action, romance, friendship, villains, comedy, dialouges, and it appealed to the masses because of the star cast. It is still appreciated by people because it is a family entertainer.

Edited by Simply_Smart - 17 years ago
ShadowKisses thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
One movie I truly hated, and hate to date is Glitter (starring Mariah Carey). Heaven knows that she can't act! It was her popularity with the songs that I persuaded my friends to come with me. Lord knows it was a bore. One of my friends left half-way through the movie,along with many others who were looking almost dead. Me and one other friend stayed behind. By the end of the movie, Me, her and this other man were the only people in the theatre. Honestly, I only saw the begining. After that, I do not know how disasterous Mariah was because I was sleeping through the movie. When I left the theatre, I was crying so bad. Crying because I spent my money on that stupid movie.

Kuch Naa Kaho is another example of a very bad movie. Ashwariya didn't look like the mother of a seven-year old.

Let's not even get started on MPKDH. It was SUCH A BORE! Kareena cried just because her mother didn't give milk to her lover. πŸ˜† How immature can one get?

Yaadien is one movie I'd love to wipe the memories of. I just couldn't tolerate Hritik's long lectures about Indian culture and what not.

Kya Yehi Pyar Hai-- If THAT is what love is, I'm better off single all my life.

Jaani Dushman. I started wondering whether the director of that movie had jaani dushmani with me for creating such a catastrophic movie.

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: mz.seductive

One movie I truly hated, and hate to date is Glitter (starring Mariah Carey). Heaven knows that she can't act! It was her popularity with the songs that I persuaded my friends to come with me. Lord knows it was a bore. One of my friends left half-way through the movie,along with many others who were looking almost dead. Me and one other friend stayed behind. By the end of the movie, Me, her and this other man were the only people in the theatre. Honestly, I only saw the begining. After that, I do not know how disasterous Mariah was because I was sleeping through the movie. When I left the theatre, I was crying so bad. Crying because I spent my money on that stupid movie.

Kuch Naa Kaho is another example of a very bad movie. Ashwariya didn't look like the mother of a seven-year old.

Let's not even get started on MPKDH. It was SUCH A BORE! Kareena cried just because her mother didn't give milk to her lover. πŸ˜† How immature can one get?

Yaadien is one movie I'd love to wipe the memories of. I just couldn't tolerate Hritik's long lectures about Indian culture and what not.

Kya Yehi Pyar Hai-- If THAT is what love is, I'm better off single all my life.

Jaani Dushman. I started wondering whether the director of that movie had jaani dushmani with me for creating such a catastrophic movie.

You are so funny !!!πŸ˜†πŸ˜† bang on !!

Swar_Raj thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

WHere in India can you go mountian biking on a smow capped mountain and scuba diving to see tropical fish withing the snap of same picnic? And what is it with Rajashri and picnic? Chitchor with Amol Palekar and Vijayendra Ghatke was much better. At least in that one Zarina Wahaab did not scream, and overact.

what a funny topic...  πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ came after a long time and could not stop laughingπŸ˜†πŸ˜† Good OneπŸ‘