Views

Users

Frequent Posters

luvsakshi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

"I had to give audience a break"

Interview with Saakshi Tanwar on TV soap 'Bade Achche lagte hain'
Mitali Patel, Prachi Rege, Shilpa Rathnam and Priyanka Sood  June 4, 2011 | UPDATED 07:43 IST

Saakshi Tanwar
Saakshi Tanwar, Actor

Saakshi Tanwar, 38, ruled the world of kitschy saris and screechy dialogues for the longest time as Paarvati in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii. She was last seen as Teepri on Balika Vadhu. The telly world's favourite bhabhi puts aside her differences with Ekta Kapoor to fit into a romantic role in a new show, Bade Achche Lagte Hain, on Sony.

Q. What reaction has the show, Bade Achche Lagte Hain, got so far?

A. The feedback has been positive, especially about the subject and Ram and me coming back together. After Amitabh Bachchan's tweet, the buzz has got stronger. It makes me quite nervous.

Q. How did the show happen for you?

A. I was offered it within four months of closing Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii. I didn't want to do it though because tv is time consuming. The audiences were seeing me every day for eight years; I had to give them a break too.

Q. Since it's a romantic show, how passionate are you in real life?

A. I am a dreamy person. I believe you don't find love, it finds you.

Q. How much do you identify with the character?

A. I play Priya Sharma who is in her early 30s and unmarried. She believes in being independent. It's pretty much the same situation as mine as far as independence is concerned.

Q. What kind of an equation do you share with Ram Kapoor?

A. We are both very secure actors. He is spontaneous which helps getting the best out of both of us.

Q. When do you plan to tie the knot?

A. I have left that to my destiny. Whenever it happens, I will surrender to it.

Q. Are you keen on doing movies?

A. Yes, very much. I have done a major role in C.P. Dwivedi's Mohalla Assi opposite Sunny Deol.

Edited by luvsakshi - 9 years ago
luvsakshi thumbnail
Peehu aka Amrita is like my daughter: Sakshi Tanwar aka Priya of BALH Posted by: Smitha Updated: Thursday, March 7, 2013, 17:44 [IST] Ads by Google    Sakshi Tanwar aka Priya of Bade Acche Lagte Hain is one of the few Television actresses who has had such a long standing in the industry. In a recent interview, Sakshi Tanwar admits that she is extremely comfortable with the little girl and she treats her like her mother. Sakshi Tanwar's chemistry with her co-star Ram Kapoor in Bade Acche Lagte Hain and Peehu aka Amrita (she plays Sakshi's daughter) is awesome and is one of the most talked about. In a recent interview with a leading newspaper, Sakshi Tanwar says that Amrita is very adorable, sometimes sits on her head, duddenly hugs her and even sits in her lap. She went on to say, "I have to do everything for her from coloring her drawing book to telling her stories. I have invented a mini story telling where I call a fictitious bird and she actually thinks that there is a bird that I can communicate with. It's a wonderful relationship that we share." Amrita's mother understands the bonding that the two share and so even allows Sakshi to scold her. Speaking about their onscreen chemistry, Sakshi Tanwar says, "Most of our scenes are beyond scripts because they are mostly based on our rapport which happens instantly." Click on the slider below to see pictures of Amrita and Sakshi in the popular serial Bade Acche Lagte Hain.

Read more at: http://entertainment.oneindia.in/television/news/2013/bade-acche-lagte-hain-sakshi-amrita-peehu-pictures-104807.html

luvsakshi thumbnail

Sakshi Tanwar: I will get married when I am destined to!

Sakshi Tanwar: I will get married when I am destined to!

She is one of Ekta Kapoor's favourite bahus, who came to the limelight with the popular show Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii. Today she basks in the glory of her daily soap, Bade Acche Lagte Hain, with the portly Ram Kapoor as co-star, and is gearing up for the release of her upcoming show Ek Thhi Naayka

Sakshi Tanwar talks about her beliefs in the paranormal, her marriage plans and her equation with Balaji and Ekta Kapoor...

You are playing the positive lead in Ek Thhi Naayka - didn't you want to play the daayan for a change?

Frankly, I would have loved to play the daayan if the opportunity was given to me. But I was offered the role of a naayka, which is very different from the things I regularly do. So I am happy.

Is your story in Ek Thhi Naayka in any way similar to Ek Thi Daayan - the movie?

There is no similarity between the two except the central theme of the story - daayans. The show will take several elements from the movie, but that's about it.

Your plate is already full with work, so why did you take up Ek Thhi Naayka?

It's true that we are constantly working. But when Ekta offered me this role, there was really nothing to think about. All I asked her to do was to adjust my days from Bade Acche Lagte Hain for this show.

When will your story be aired?

I haven't shot for my episode yet, but I am told it will be the last story.

What are your expectations of Ek Thhi Naayka?

I have been able to be part of several success stories with Balaji; I hope the trend continues withEk Thhi Naayka. It is a unique and beautiful concept to bring together eight leading ladies of television and make a show with them. I have a feeling that it will work.

Do you believe in the supernatural?

I have heard several stories as a child. It is really hard to say whether any of these things are real or not, but I truly believe only in the power above me: God.

What do you think of the horror genre?

I cannot watch a horror movie to save myself! Not even with my eyes closed. Even during college times, when friends would gather to discuss eerie topics, I'd stop them.

Have you ever experienced anything paranormal?

There was this once when I felt the walls were closing in on me and everything around seemed to be spinning, but I am sure it was more to do with me feeling week and didn't really have anyparanormal connection.

When you first signed on to do Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, did you ever imagine being an iconic television figure?

It was all by the grace of God. Initially, it was just a source of pocket money for me. My friends informed me about an audition and I went for it on a whim. The show ran for eight years and I couldn't ask for anything more. The success of Kahaani... was enough to last a lifetime. The popularity I am getting now from Bade Acche Lagte Hain seems like the bonus period of my life.

What's your equation with Ekta Kapoor and Balaji Telefilms like?

Balaji and Ekta are more like a family to me now. It is a strong bond, which is hard to crack. The level of understanding and professionalism we share is profound.

As an actor, what do you look for in a script?

As an actor I like to experiment with characters and TV is the best medium to do that coz of the reach it has nowadays. Frankly, I am ready to take up anything that is challenging enough.

What's your next move going to be after Bade Acche Lagte Hain?

I believe that as long as I am sincere, hardworking and have God's blessings, work will come. I am enjoying a very comfortable position right now. So I am not thinking about the future.

What about your marriage plans? Have you thought about that?

I believe I will get married when I am destined to. God has a plan and all I have to do is surrender to him. Things will happen

luvsakshi thumbnail

My first salary was Rs 900: Sakshi Tanwar

Last updated on: August 30, 2012 18:26 IST

Sakshi Tanwar 

>
 To get such articles in your inbox

Sakshi Tanwar is best known for playing the role of Parvati in the television serialKahaani Ghar Ghar Kii. She has now put the iconic character behind her, however, with soaring popularity as Priya in Bade Achhe Lagte Hain. In an interview with Rajul Hegde, the actress discusses how she worked towards success in her profession and gives youngsters career advice.

Can you start off by telling us a little bit about your background? Please share some memories of your childhood days.

I was the youngest of three siblings. Both my older brother and sister pampered me a lot; in fact, I was saved from a lot of mischief I got into because they stood up for me. Growing up in a typical Indian family with its set of values and traditions was all about home, family, ghar ka khana -- that brought a whole lot of happiness as I was growing up. With a supportive and loving family to fall back on, in case of any crisis, life for me is simply full of fond memories. In fact, it is this strong support system that I had, that helped me move alone to Mumbai and live on my own.

Tell us about your first job and the first salary you ever received -- what did you do with the money?

My first job was as a sales trainee at the Taj Palace Hotel in Delhi. I worked at (clothing and accessory store) Khazana and received a monthly stipend of Rs 900. With my first salary, I bought my mom a yellow and green cotton sari and also a few things for my dad, brother and sister.

luvsakshi thumbnail
Sakshi Tanwar, 39, and her Bade Acche Lagte Hain co-star Ram Kapoor became television's most talked about couple after consummating their marriage on air, earlier in the year. Months later, the year-old show goes into a five-year leap to rescue falling TV ratings and Tanwar goes from being Priya Kapoor to Pooja Sharma. Separated from her husband, she relocates to Dubai, where she runs a bookstore. Tanwar speaks to India Today.

Q. What has changed with the leap in the show?
A.
 Priya is stronger, but also much more vulnerable, as she has a child to raise by herself.

Q. What about your new look?
A. We wanted a contemporary working woman, yet someone who would not pay much attention to clothes, as she has a five-year-old daughter to raise.

Q. What's your equation with Ram Kapoor?
A. Fabulous. He is great fun to work with. We've never worked together before, but seeing our chemistry, people felt we had.

Q. Ekta Kapoor and you go back a long way. Do you still have disagreements?
A. Balaji is like family now. Whenever I disagree with her, the show does well. I had said no toKahaani Ghar Ghar Kii and Bade Acche Lagte Hain thrice.

luvsakshi thumbnail

Sakshi Tanwar to open Main Na Bhoolungi

Mon, December 23, 2013 6:50pm UTC by IANSAdd first Comment
Sakshi Tanwar to open Main Naa Bhoolungi

The Bade Acche Lagte Hain actor will be seen narrating the first episode of the new serial on Sony TV

Small screen actor Sakshi Tanwar will be seen opening the premiere episode of new thriller drama Main Na Bhoolungi. Sakshi, currently seen in Bade Acche Lagte Hain, is impressed with the concept and is pleased to start it as a narrator, said a statement.

Main Na Bhoolungi revolves around Shikha, essayed by Aishwarya Sakhuja, and Sameer, played by Vikas Manaktala, who get married through a matrimonial website. The show is a glimpse of a woman's fight against deceit and betrayal.

The show will go on air Monday on Sony Entertainment Television.

luvsakshi thumbnail

Sakshi Tanwar's bold new roles

Sakshi Tanwar's bold new roles
Sakshi Tanwar

SAAKSHI TANWAR

Read more about Saakshi Tanwar

Popular TV actress Sakshi Tanwar's 'O Re Manwa' and 'Bawra Mann' were part of the Film Mart section at the 13th Mumbai Film Festival. She plays the other woman and a bored wife looking for a relationship out of her marriage in the two short films respectively and says she enjoyed attempting something she had not done before.

'O Re Manwa' won the best international narrative short at the New York International Film Festival in 2009 while 'Bawara Mann' was an official selection at the La Femme International Film Festival. Both the films are directed by Mitu.

"I did 'O Re Manwa' first and I played the other woman. It was from the point of view of the other woman and it was treated with so much respect and dignity, which otherwise you don't get to see because the other woman is always treated with contempt," Sakshi said.

"In 'Bawara Mann', the story operates on two levels and I got to play two characters in the same shot - there is a writer, which Nishikant Kamat is playing, and I personify his out-of-the-box thinking. I am his thinking which is bullying him into writing what she wants to do in this story," she said.

"And it is also about a bored wife whose husband doesn't have time for her and she is basically exploring other relationships out of marriage. I was excited and fascinated by the idea of doing two characters in the same shot and within the same story. The best part is the director is also a woman and she has written it, so the dignity of the wife and the other woman is intact. That is the beauty of the story."

Sakshi played a perfect bahu on the small screen for eight years and even now she is seen as an ideal daughter in 'Bade Achche Lagte Hain', but she says she had no inhibitions while playing these two unconventional characters.

"I was comfortable doing it because shooting for them was so interesting - it was like a workshop. There was no set style and there was a freedom to do something."

Sakshi signed these two films during her break from television.

"When 'Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii', which ran for eight years, got over, I just had one thought in my mind - I wanted to put my feet up and relax for while. I thought I had worked hard enough to deserve a break.

"The good thing was that during the two-and-a-half-years I was getting offers. It was like the industry still has faith in me and I was happy that there is work. And during that period I was offered these two short films.

"I thought they didn't require much time commitment, they were interesting subjects and were giving me an opportunity to do something which I hadn't attempted. They were bold and relatable subjects and I thought I should give it a try," she said.

luvsakshi thumbnail
Courtesy - http://www.mumbaimirror.com

Celebs say they are tired of the paparazzi. So we hand over our camera to them and ask them to shoot their own days. Sakshi Tanwar captures favourite moments of her day

Framed!

This was part of my plan to gift my parents a framed photograph on their wedding anniversary. If you tell them that you'll click their picture they become very conscious. So on the pretext of testing my phone camera, I made them pose early morning one day. 

They look adorable together and I love the childlike grin my father has on his face. On receiving the gift my mother's first response was an angry one, but they loved it and it has been hung up in their room now.

Little window into Sakshi's private life she shares with her fans
Read it ALL.. Here..

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/79/2008082420080824023454715ded75d3/Hum-log.html

luvsakshi thumbnail
An Interview with Saakshi Tanwar

'I look for a range of emotions in a script'

Posted on 16 June 2001

As an ideal bahu (daughter-in-law) and caring member of a joint family that most "traditional" Indian women can easily relate to, actress Saakshi Tanwar, who plays Parvati in Star Plus' hit soap Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki, has received an overwhelming response from the public at large. Though she has acted in several other serials, it is with this role that she has come under the spotlight (literally) with huge hoardings featuring her as one of the main pivots of the daily soap put up in the country's metros.

A former computer software consultant, Saakshi graduated from Delhi. After graduation, Saakshi was preparing for entrance tests to the administrative services and mass communications when a close friend suggested that she audition for national broadcaster Doordarshan's film songs-based programme
Albela Sur Mela. She got selected and that marked her first entry into Indian television. Meanwhile, her "traditional" career graph had come to a standstill when she failed to clear either of the tests. Looking back, she has no regrets. "If I don't get through any exam in the first attempt then it is not meant for me," says Saakshi. 

Acting wasn't exactly a new experience for this Delhi lass, who during college was secretary and president of the dramatic society and had her fair share of the stage. However, facing the camera was a new experience. The experience of anchoring the show encouraged her to pursue acting. 

Smitten by the acting bug and the money that come along with it, she initially picked out serials that didn't require much commitment. In the meantime, she, along with her friends joined a computer course. For a long time Saakshi juggled computer classes and acting. She was seen in EhsaasDastoorX-Zone,Bhanwar, among many other serials, before getting her first big break playing the central role in Rajdhani.

And then came the offer from Balaji Telefilms for 
Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki. Nothing's been the same since for her.

Indiantelevision.com's correspondent Harsha Khot recently met the face behind the pallu (veil)-drawn traditional Indian 
bahu Parvati that millions of television ghars (homes) have a daily appointment with. 

Excerpts from the interview: 

How did you bag the role of Parvati?
I was shooting for a pilot of the serial now called Karam, a Balaji production. It was a side role to the main lead bhabhi (sister-in-law) and after getting dressed to prepare for the coming scene, Ekta Kapoor (Balaji's creative head) walked in and instantly said in a peculiar manner: "Oh this is Parvati." I had no clue what that meant but later on she told me about Parvati and the rest is history. 

What was your reaction when you got the offer?

I was extremely apprehensive about taking the role. In part, because when I was shooting for another pilot for Balaji nothing seemed to be working out. I had even begun to think that workwise, relations between Balaji and me were simply jinxed. Besides, taking up the role meant staying back in Mumbai which was rather difficult as I had already made commitments for the shoot of Rajdhaniwhich meant I would have to be in Delhi. 

It's quite strange, but at the time I preferred to play the small role of bhabi inKaram rather than the central one in Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki (KGGK). Then again, originally the character of Parvati was supposed to be in her mid-thirties and her child between 13-15 years old and I was unsure if I would be able to play that. Eventually I did refuse the role, but by then it was too short a notice, shooting dates had already been scheduled so it was too late to back out. 

So how did you settle the issue? 
Ekta had told me that the character of Parvati would create a wave in television once it went on air. She said: "Saakshi you don't know what you are refusing." But even then I refused it. I did not want to walk out on the commitment forRajdhani and neither did I want to get into this age bracket and I conveyed these inhibitions to Ekta. The character's age was brought down to the late 20's and even her child's age to somewhere between 7 and 8. And the dates schedule was reorganised keeping aside dates for Rajdhani. But after sometime Rajdhaniwent off air on Star Plus only to be replaced by KGGK. So maybe it was meant to be the way things went.

In fact when the character of Parvati got me the best actress award (Maharashtra Kala Niketan's 5th annual Bollywood Award 2000) I think back to the conversations over the character I had with Ekta especially when she predicted that the role of Parvati was going to be popular. Now if I find it difficult to imagine how I could have ever even considered refusing the role.

What goes into enacting a character? How easy or difficult is it to act?
It's just the idea of living the character for some time. You have to stop being yourself and you have to be the character. I've realised that playing Parvati is comparitively easy. But in another serial Yeh Jeevan Hai, I am doing a character of a girl called Nafisa who is a hardcore feminist. She is a single woman and doesn't want to get into marriage. She is quite different from Parvati or me. During shoots often what happens is Saakshi takes over "Nafisa". For instance if the script requires the character to apologise I would say it the way I would normally do and then the director immediately points this out and tells me stop being Saakshi. "You are Nafisa," he says." This character is very arrogant. if she has to apologise, she does it in a certain style - say a hand running swiftly running through her hair - saying sorry with no trace of contrition and in a confident tone." 

It's very tough for me to play her role because I am very unlike Nafisa. She wouldn't mind having a child out of wedlock. That is not me. I am very conservative so it is very difficult. But there are little ways of portraying an image. Playing Parvati is still easier. For what I am in real life is very close to Parvati, in matters of behaviour, mannerisms. Except for her thinking of course. 

What is the main conflict that you have in your mind when you play Parvati?
How can anybody be "so good, so sacrificing" even when somebody else keeps stepping all over her. I did not believe that such people exist. But during a visit to my native place at Rajasthan I came across my own relative who was very close to the Parvati on screen and that made me get more attached to the role.

You were more inclined towards a corporate career until the acting bug bit you, which indicates contemporary thinking quite unlike the Parvati who takes everything lying down, especially in a scene where Parvati is shown being slapped by Pallavi (her sister-in-law). So don't you face conflicting thoughts?
While
 shooting that shot I felt very awkward, but that is the way character is sketched. But there is a reason behind that. In the serial the essence of showing Parvati not retaliating to the slap is that the next time when the circumstances are apt she slaps Pallavi for her nastiness in the presence of other family members.

What according to you made the character so popular for the viewers?
I often wonder how it went on to be so popular but have never been able to really figure it out. It could be that Indians are very emotional. Crying makes them happy. It could also be self-pity. That they sacrifice a lot for the good of the family and yet they get the worst deal in return. It could even be the other way round. Maybe women identify themselves with the way Parvati cares for the family, sacrificing her desires without any regrets if it helps the family.

What do you feel about the character?
Somehow, I strongly feel that many viewers get carried away with the idea that what she is doing is good, and in the best interests of the family. Which may be right in a way, but that is only from one side. What isn't realised in this process is that what could be good for the family could be so maybe at the expense of somebody's own happiness. But in most cases, women feel that they are doing good. 

What she did to Pallavi by getting her married to Kamal (younger brother of of the person Pallavi was originally supposed to marry but who ran off just before the wedding) wasn't a good decision. Mainly because Pallavi did not wish to get married to Kamal, and this instigates her to exact revenge on Parvati.

How do you work on the character? 
I take a lot of help from my director. I need a lot of feedback, a lot of guidance. I have been very lucky to have worked with Tigmanshu Dhulia (director ofRajdhani) and Imtiaz Ali (also a director) who take a lot of interest in the characterisation. They will even tell you what is going on in the character's mind. So it becomes much easier. If you know what is going in the character's mind while saying the lines then you obviously are thinking like that and it obviously comes out like that. I go for these details. 

Are you director's actor or actors' actor?
I am a director's actress. Given a script I can convey the character but it would be limited to a certain perspective. When the director expresses what the character really is like and how it could be brought out better then that helps enhance my performance.
Saakshi Tanwar & in tele serial 'Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki'

Does that mean you keep going back to the director for expressing every nuance of the character you are trying to portray? 
Many times you can't even think of another way of enacting a particular scene or shot. If you are on your own then after sketching it out in your mind you tend to do what you perceive the character is like. But if someone comes forth and tells you this is how it could be then you realise yes this is more like her and it comes though better than before. The things that have to conveyed are now being done in a better manner and it's so realistic. So somewhere I feel that left on my own I'll miss out certain details. 

Each time I see myself on screen I feel the shot could have been done the other way. But if that thought crosses your mind while acting only then it makes sense, not after the shot is over. Of course you can incorporate that in later performances. If at the time of acting someone can tell you what is expected of the character then it makes a lot of difference. And that is what has happened inYeh Jeevan and Rajdhani

Did you ever have to work on your voice?
In Dastoor, which was a Muslim love story, my voice was childish and shrill and the character needed a range in voice that would come through as she ages from 20 to 40 years. 

It was a role of a Muslim girl whose father gets her married off to another man instead of a close relative with whom she is in love. The role spans over 20 years beginning from Sher Bano's (the character she plays) youthful years to the time she stands up against her family.

To prevent history from repeating, she sides with her daughter to marry the person that she (her daughter) desires to be with. As the character begins aging, in order to match the voice with her age, it had to be more rough. I would sit with the harmonium and work on the voice, stretch and make it flow along with the musical note. 

Which character that you've portrayed is your favourite?
The one I did in Bhanwar. The role was of a social worker fighting for a 16-year-old rape victim. It's my favourite because it was all about performance. No make up, no special effects to cover up. It was all about hard work in the form of more refined, presentable acting. 

What do you look for in a script?
Range of emotions to portray, how comfortable will I be playing the role. I ponder over whether I will be able to portray the character in a convincing way.

What does acting mean to you?
Acting to me is portraying the character with 100 per cent conviction. Whether it is true or false, your should act in a way such that your audience shouldn't even for a second feel that you are acting. It should be very convincing. Like so many times while reading the KGGK script I feel that no, no this doesn't happen.

I would be so unconvinced with the thinking of the character that at times, I would change the dialogues to suit the conflict going on in my mind about the way Parvati thought. But then the director would explain why things are the way they are.

luvsakshi thumbnail

Television's Most Enduring Female Star Sakshi Tanwar Speaks!

From Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki(KGGK) to Bade Achche Lagte Hain(BALH) it's been quite a journey?

Yes, I can't believe I've survived in this kal-aaya-aaj-gaya business for so long! Earlier the content and characters were more aspirational.The content has now become more relatable than before. Earlier when I played the Bahu Parvati in KGGK I felt I was much larger than life. People would say, this is what an ideal wife bahu and mother should be. Today when I'm playing Priya in BALH people , men and women, come to me saying they can identify with my character. I think today there is content for everyone , urban and non-urban.

Do you now get addressed in public as Parvati' or Priya'?

Neither, People have started to recognize me as Sakshi. That's a huge triumph victory for me. For years I was called Parvati.'

Was that annoying?

No. It was as Parvati' that I attained an identity. Before that no on knew who Sakshi' was. Then for 2 years I took a sabbatical . I refused to do the serials that were offered to me after KGGK. They were extensions of Parvati.Believe me, that moment when I said no' used to be really difficult. There was good money and visibility...But I had to be strong. Or I'd have played extensions of Pravati all my life.Instead I chose to return with Crime Petrol and a negative role in Balika Badhu.And when I saw the serials I turned down finally on air, I'd be relieved I didn't do them.

Did you get flak for your negative role in Balika Badhu?

Oh, lots ! I was slammed. My fans kept hoping till the last that my character would reform. But my colleagues congratulated me. I'd be ever-grateful to the makers of Balika Badhu for thinking of me for the role. The channel wasn't even sure I'd say yes. But hwne it was offered within two days I was shooting for it.And it was a wonderful experience. I got to work with a legend like Surekha Sikriji.I learnt so much from her.

What did you do during your 2 years sabbatical?

I assisted a friend from behind the camera in a show on Doordarshan ina serial called Samman. I was the creative director in the serial. I must say that stint really helped me evolve as a human being.Some day I'd like to take up direction.

You and Smriti Irani were like Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil on television. Were you openly rivals?

We were the protagonists in the two most popular soaps, me in Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki and she in Kyunki...Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. But there was space for both of us.I just met her recently.We laughed over old times. People see us as arch-rivals. But we were never that.She is a terrific person. She is very down-to-earth. Today's actresses are far more competitive.Smriti and I were neck-to-neck in competition.But we never felt we were rivals.When I bump into my seniors like Deepak Qazir, Neena Kulkarni, Aroona Irani,Surekha Sikri...I acknowledge and greet them. But when I bump into younger actresses they don't even smile at me. They probably feel I am a rival.It's weird. I've been around for 13 years .And I am still competition!!

Your co-star Ram Kapoor thinks television industry has become more disciplined?

I think discipline is an individual choice. If you choose to be disciplined you can be so even in a disorganized environment. Having said that...I must say the television industry has changed for the better. Nowadays we actors work 12 hours .And that's only fair.Earlier it was endless hours. It's a comfortable situation now. But those who want to be undisciplined would continue to be so regardless of what the conditions. Even now there are impossible deadlines to be achieved for episodes. When that happens, one has to do what has to be done.

So you still continue to put in the same hours?

Had I not worked so hard I wouldn't have lasted so long. When I see the new generations of actors crib about working for 8-9 hours I am amused and exasperated. We used to be so passionate about our work.We'd never abandon the work for the next day. The episode had to be completed even if we had to work through the night.

Do you feel disconnected from the current generation of actors?

See, KGGK was on air for eight years .We were all young and starting out on our careers together. We were all equally passionate about the serial. There was no sense of oneupmanship or rivalry among us. None of us ever felt, Mera scene nahin hai toh main kyon time doon?' .We'd all be there for every scene and make sure the episodes came out as well as possible.The product was supreme.And though the content was often hard to believe,we'd still make it as natural as possible. I've spent more time with the cast and crew of KGGK than I did with my own family during those eight years. The serial is done. But I'm still in touch with each and every member of the cast.They're like my extended family.

And today when you do BALH?

They are far more ruthlessly ambitious.If an actor's track doesn't take off he or she immediately quits the show and moves on. Earlier we were so involved with our serial that even if our track didn't develop we'd refuse to leave.That level of attachment to the product is missing in present day actors.

Are there any current actresses who you think have that spark to last as long as you and Smriti?

I like Kritika Kamra of Kuch Toh Log Kahenge and Sriti Jha of Balika Badhu.These are the names that come to my mind.

You never treated television as a stepping stone to cinema like other tv actors?

Television is where my roots are. I love the medium.It has given me everything that I have today.I only wanted to do good roles.

So has the ideal Bahu screen found her match in real life?

I am very much single. I haven't found anyone I want to marry. Normally people find love. But in my case I feel love has to find me.I feel your birth, marriage and decided are pre-ordained. I totally believe in the institution of marriage. In my family I've seen many successful marriages. I'm open to an arranged marriage.I am ready for marriage. But is marriage ready for me?