I have the jigra to play any kind of role - Rajesh Khera

bokul thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

The very talented Rajesh Khera is seen playing the vicious transgender Maharani in Colors' Uttaran (Filmfarm Productions). The actor who is doing a fabulous job has been receiving positive response from the masses and industry insiders.

Tellychakkar.com decided to talk to Rajesh and ask him what made him take up a role of a transgender after portraying a similar role in Aasman Se Aage. Rajesh chuckled and said, "Honestly I think there are not many actors in the market who have the courage to play such roles. People usually shy away from such characters and are scared to do such roles but as an actor one should have the confidence to push oneself and play such challenging roles."

But isn't he scared of being typecast? "Well, I don't have a flaunting image that I will be skeptical about playing such roles. I actually don't have a specific image which is a blessing in disguise for I am then open to all kind of offers. After Jassi, I was only offered gay roles and now I think I will just get hijras roles.

But I want to mention that I have the jigra to play any kind of character."

When we asked Rajesh, who else he believes can suit the role of this character, he was quick to reply. "I think Mohit Malik could have done a good job, he has that potential. But since I am doing the role, I feel look wise I am better (winks). There was an extensive audition for the character of which I got selected, so definitely I think I suited the best."

And Rajesh has added some bald' effect too in the show. "I think the appearance makes it a bit gorier and gives the creative a chance to play more with the character. In one of the episodes, Maharani takes off her wig and talks to her titlis' and that give it a scarier approach."

But the character can also be termed vulgar. Cutting us short, Rajesh answered, "That is the most challenging part for we have to maintain a thin line and not move to vulgarism. Thankfully I have the support of my directors and even some junior artists give me tips and suggestions. You always need to be open to criticisms and views- that only work in your favour."

Rajesh also revealed that he sits with the creatives and works on his lines. "You see, writers do a wonderful job but when an actor is doing a scene, he is in a completely different zone and all charged up. Thus it's important sometime to give your own inputs and work on the betterment of your character; it's all team work."

So how had been the response from the cast? "It's been great. Ayub Khan and Gaurav Chopra came and backed me up for having played Maharani so naturally. It is always good to hear compliments (smiles)."

We also questioned him about transgender activist Lakshmi Narayan coming on the sets and protesting about the way they are being portrayed in the show. "I don't really know what transpired between her and the production team, but we did meet and I was impressed with her fluent English. She also told me that I am doing a good job, so I don't think she has a problem with me."

The actor is also working as a mentor to young actors for NDTV Prime's Ticket to Bollywood. "I am working as an acting guru and I am really enjoying this stint. It's a great platform for newcomers for sure."

Way to go Rajesh!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Sud- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
TFS
Lol