Waheeda Mum about alleged affair with Guru Dutt

awesomegurti thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Legendary actress Waheeda Rahman refrained from giving a reply to the question about her alleged affair with late director Guru Dutt.

Veteran actress Waheeda Rehman, who has shared her life journey in the book "Conversations with Waheeda", was tight-lipped about her alleged relationship with filmmaker Guru Dutt.

Asked about it at the book launch event, she said: "I don't want to get into it... my private life is nobody's business."

Coming to her rescue, the book's author Nasreen Munni Kabir said: "We have to respect actors' personal lives and we should not cross the line. She has been loved by all of us (for her work) and that's not (her relationship) what she is known for."

Further asked why directors fall in love with their actors, Waheeda said: "There have to be a little bit... because the director thinks from the actors' point of view. I think all the directors were in love with me."

Waheeda Rahman said nobody knows why he committed suicide.

"Nobody knows (why he committed suicide)...I dont think he was in depression after the failure of 'Kagaz Ke Phool' because soon after that he made 'Chaudhvin Ka Chand' which was a super hit."

Guru Dutt was found dead in his apartment Oct 10, 1964.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BullsEye777 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I hope she touches upon his death without going into details (revealing/hiding their affair, reason, etc is her wish). 

However, her words that her private life is her business raises the question as to what  the biography is about in that case? After all Guru Dutt was a big factor in her earlier professional life as well. 

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
There were rumours he committed suicide coz of her...
awesomegurti thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: togepe30

There were rumours he committed suicide coz of her...

Not bcz of her ; bcz of his failure marriage. Heard his wife akways doubts him

But it's true that Guru n waheeda both loved each other ; guru more i think which lead to depression
Hello_kitta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Not every one is brave like " girl with broken heart "deepu.
CeaselessBanter thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Good choice. Let the man RIP...
chimchimcher-ee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: New_nova

Not every one is brave like " girl with broken record "deepu.

Corrected. πŸ˜†

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Memories of Guru Dutt: Abrar Alvi

Extract from book review...

More than anything else, the book is worth reading for telling the inside story behind the Guru Dutt-Waheeda Rehman romance as it is. One really feels sorry for the legendary actress on realizing how callow she was in understanding the crooked ways of Bollywood. Guru was indeed torn between the love for his wife and the other woman. However, he couldn't  take a stand and ended up dropping Waheeda Rehman from his life. Abrar claims that Waheeda considered him her elder brother and describes the events that led to the nikah' of Guru Dutt and Waheeda that never happened. We come to know that Waheeda had a brother-in-law Rauf who announced that Guru Dutt was converting to Islam to marry her. Eventually, Guru Dutt chickened out at the last moment without realizing that his marriage with Geeta Dutt was long over. In the end, it seems that he caused Waheeda such a grievous hurt from which only work and more work could provide solace to the talented actress-cum-dancer. Clearly, ditching Waheeda and his financial troubles seemed to have led him to take the extreme step of committing suicide. The extent to which relations soured between Guru Dutt and his protg has to be read to be believed.

Friends, I always wonder. When Guru Dutt had such a close circle of friends like Abrar Alvi, Johny Walker, Dev Anand why did he never approach them for help? Why did he not confide in his mother or brother or sister? It seems his mother was in favor of Waheeda. Why did he have to take that extreme step on 10 October 1964? Was he plagued by guilt?  Did he feel that he had reached a dead end? After reaching glorious heights, was it difficult to accept failure? What if he had ended up marrying Waheeda Rehman? Your guess is as good as mine. But sadly, we lost a great film-maker who could no longer handle the pressures of marital discord and financial debts.

grounder thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: eeyoretel

Corrected. πŸ˜†

Good oneπŸ˜†
poetic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I think what Waheeda said makes sense. I understand that they are all public figures, but all of them have rights to keep their private lives private. 
The relation between Waheeda and Guru Dutt have al.ways evoked a lot of curiosity - but with the man no longer present, in case he wants to provide a POV, such things should be allowed to rest.

Some things are better and ethereal, if left untouched.