What I'm really thinking: the forum moderator

D3viL thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago

What thinking illustrationView larger picture

I've discovered that commenting on message boards and forums reveals a different side to your personality. Usually one that shouldn't be encouraged. I spend my day seeing people being idiots to each other: typing insults; flaming; using capital letters to indicate shouting when they wouldn't dream of being anything but civil in real life. I imagine that the worst offenders are in reality meek and mild, just unleashing vitriol from the safety of their laptops.

The forum feels like a playground, with me as the exasperated teacher, trying to calm them down. It gets irritating. There are topics some people seem unable to discuss without losing their minds. Politics, obviously. Being a single parent really gets people quacking. Benefits, too. I wonder why people feel the need to vent such strong opinions. If the country were run on the internet, it would be civil war, permanently.

Trolls are tedious. They delight in being provocative. I recognise trolls from their gambits and ban them. Get back under your bridge. The power I have is satisfying. But because they're obviously not great people in real life, they don't take no for an answer, and start taking revenge by sending spam and viruses. They're no match for me and my delete button, though. I am proud of the website, and I like to keep it tidy and a pleasure to read. I get a little glow when one of my favourite posters makes an interesting comment. I see them as friends. That sounds sad but I'm happy.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

D3viL thumbnail
dedicated to naina . 
RIP
Easy_A thumbnail
Wonder if that moderator met people in real and saw the discrepancy in their real and e-personalities? It rings true though. I can't imagine more than half the people saying the words they do here when pissed in real. It must be the effect of the feeling that "no one is watching" that unleashes your ... unfiltered side.
Ummm... #nainacomeback... to keep the trend going.
D3viL thumbnail
I am starting to act the way I act on the forum at work.. I made a grown man cry, and apologised to him as well!!! I have trolled some other guy asking him if he has been in TRUE love? and he looked at me in a bizarre way but told me that he had and told me the intimates of every relationship and then I dropped the TRUE love so many times I had to stop myself from smirking.
Easy_A thumbnail

Originally posted by: TroubleShooter

I am starting to act the way I act on the forum at work.. I made a grown man cry, and apologised to him as well!!! I have trolled some other guy asking him if he has been in TRUE love? and he looked at me in a bizarre way but told me that he had and told me the intimates of every relationship and then I dropped the TRUE love so many times I had to stop myself from smirking.

What was stirring up TRUE love again and again? ðŸ˜†

It's true though.. you tend become a lot less diplomatic as well and just say whatever you gotta say without thinking twice just like you post here or interact with people with no care about the consequences. That side of you seeps into your RL as well since your mind is fixated on this side of your personality.