Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jassy705 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
i had dinner with jagjit singh in person.. and i must say he is a really nice guy.. and i love his gazals
manjujain thumbnail
Arre wah Bob da. Thanks!!!

I just love his ghazals. He is my favorite & I went to his live concert too. The ghazal which I love specially are:

1. Kabhi Yun bhi to ho....
2. Tere Aane Ki Jab Khabar Mehke....
3. Haath Chote bji to Rishte nahin toota karte....
4. Karoge yaad to har baat yaad aayegi....Edited by manjujain - 17 years ago
Kanta80 thumbnail

Jagjit Singh shares his passions
By MIO Team
Aug 22, 2006, 07:30

We all know that ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh is passionate about music. Every time this ace singer sings he weaves magic with his mesmerizing voice. But many don't know that he is equally passionate about horse racing. He is currently in Pune where the racing season is on as he is ardent about racing. And he makes sure that he is there every year. "I have four horses and they participate in the races. I love races. But I don't come only for races. Music is also a cause. My horses are very special to me but unfortunately I can't give too much time to them," he says. Also he likes being to Pune as people there have a taste for classical music.

Deterring the trend of mechanical music, which is in vogue he says, "A lot of garbage is being played. A number of DJs and RJs who have no knowledge of music are mixing songs. But I am sure enough that this trend will go away. Classical music will make a comeback," he quotes. He has been in the music scene for 30 years now and his principle of life still continues to be hard work. "You should never think that you know too much. Hard work and quest for knowledge are two most important things in life," he wraps up saying.

Edited by Kanta80 - 17 years ago
*Jaya* thumbnail

Thanks Bob'da and Kanta....  😊

He is my favorite favorite ghazal singer...... 😳

jaate jaate vo mujhe achchhii nishaanii de gayaa
umr bhar doharaauuNgaa aisii kahanii de gayaa

us se main kuchh paa sakuuN aisii kahaaN ummiid thii
Gam bhii vo shaayad baraaemeharabaanii de gayaa

sab havaayeN le gayaa mere samandar kii koii
aur mujh ko ek karatii baadabaanii de gayaa

Khair main pyaasaa rahaa par us ne itanaa to kiyaa
merii palakon kii kataaron ko vo paanii de gayaa

manjujain thumbnail
Qwest thumbnail
Manju Di,
Thanks for the pic.!!!!!!!
manjujain thumbnail
One of the good album is Sajda with Lata ji, that's great. One of the ghazal goes like :

Poet : Zafar Gorakhpuri

1. mausam ko isharon se bula kyun nahi lete
rootha hai agar woh to mana kyun nahi lete

[Why don't (you) call out to the season by your gestures/mannerisms/signs
If he is angry/cross/upset with you, then why don't you console him/make him agreeable]

2. deewana tumhara hai koi gair nahi hai
machla hai to seene se laga kyun nahi lete

[The mad lover/mad man is yours, and is not a stranger
If he is uneasy/flustered, then why don't you hold him to your chest(embrace him)]

3. tum jaag rahe ho mujhe achcha nahi lagta
chupke se meri neend chura kyun nahi lete

[You are keeping awake, and I do not like it
Why don't you quietly steal my sleep away from me]

4. khat likh ke kabhie aur kabhie khat ko jala kar
tanhai ko rangeen bana kyun nahi lete

[By sometimes writing letters and by sometimes burning them
Why don't you make your loneliness colourful]

manjujain thumbnail
Thanks for starting the topic bob da. I had his all sajda ghazal lyrics, but can't find my file right now bob da....😭

Originally posted by: Qwest

Manju Di,
Thanks for the pic.!!!!!!!

Edited by manjujain - 17 years ago
*Jaya* thumbnail

Achievements

16-12-2005, New Delhi

Prestigious Ghalib Awards conferred

A Special Gahlib Award was conferred to ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh for popularising Ghalib's poetry through his Ghazals.  

15-12-2005, Mumbai

Jagjit Singh won the Best Album in devotional category at THE Mtv Immies Award

The Sahitya Academy Award in 1998 for popularizing Ghalib.

The Madhya Pradesh government honored him with the Lata Mangeshkar Samman in 1998.

In the year 2003 the maestro has been honored with the title Padmabhushan by the Govt. of India.

Gaurav Puraskar for the year 2004-05 from  Smt. Chandibai Himathmal Mansukhani College, Ulhasnagar will be given to him.

Activities

Jagjit Singh is active in several fields such as the Library at St.Mary's, Bombay Hospital, CRY, and ALMA . He himself and HMV produced an album of songs on life, love, and children, titled "Cry for CRY". Jagjit Singh donated all royalty from the sales of the cassette (3%) to CRY, and persuaded HMV to donate their share of the sales (5%). 

*Jaya* thumbnail

Turning Point ( An Interview )

JAGJIT Singh's composition got a new depth after his sons tragic death.

THE POETRY OF MUSIC

As a musician my style has been changing over the years. These days I use a lot of modern equipment in my composition to suit the ears of more varied and broad audience.

Similarly, my life has been through a series of changes. These incidents at times influence your life to a great extend. In that sense getting married can be said to have transformed me radically.

I say this because when you get married, your entire lifestyle changes. You need to act more responsibly, behave well (generally), and expect to take care of your spouse, your house and so on. In short, you become a more disciplined person. The series of changes brought forth in my life made me even more serious in my work and this was reflected in my compositions.

On the personal front, again, the untimely demise of my 19 - year old son in a car accident, and that too in front of my eyes, left me totally scarred. I withdrew completely into myself after the tragedy. Ironically, my compositions improved dramatically after the incident . This is because i believe an artist essentially grows more in sad times. Happiness tends to make you careless. Add to this the audiences' sympathy and your numbers shoot right up the chart.

On a more professional note, my first album, unforgettable, cut in 1978, did little in terms of success. It actually happens to be an album very close to my heart. But in the media, if you remember, was not present in such a strong way as it is now. In the absence of which the album somehow fizzled out. But four years later, when i released sajda with lata mangeshkar, it was a different story altogether. There was tremendous media hype and some of lata's stardom brushed on to me. In the words of the press , i 'arrived" with this particular album. And, of course working with a personality like lata was very exciting. In the same vein, lending music to prime minister atal behari vajpayee's meri ekyavan kavitayein, should also augur well for my career. The album with eight songs is to be released in february.

But my favorite ghazal is yet to come. I essentially draw inspiration from good poetry, from good friends as well as from within my own self. May be, some day i shall compose my dream ghazal that will be remembered for years to come.