*milky way-juhi parmar article*

hersha thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

I love to eat, but I don't like to cook," says Juhi Parmar, who became a household name after her title role in Kumkum — Ek Pyaar Sa Bandhan and the pivotal one of Kalika in Devi.

Juhi, who thinks Abhishek Bachchan is a hot dude and finds Rani Mukerji cute and natural, will be soon flying to USA to shoot for a Pakistani series.

A Rajput born in Ujjain, she was brought up in Jaipur but found her calling — acting — in Mumbai.

Juhi has lived in this city for the past six years and has fond memories of her landlady from her paying guest days.

"A Punjabi woman, my landlady was a single woman who took care of me as if I were her own child," reminisces a chirpy Juhi.

Thought for food

I am basically a non-vegetarian
, but I enjoy vegetarian food too.

In non-vegetarian, I like chicken a lot. In sea-food, I relish pomfrets, prawns and fried sardines. I dislike red meat.

I carry food from home since I shoot almost every day. My tiffin comprises dal, sabzi and roti. I like dahi and salads a lot.

I hate to wake up early in the morning, but I am compelled to do so because of shooting. 

Since I am a very lazy person, I have kept a personal trainer who stands on my head to ensure I exercise. After a bath, I have a cup of tea with breakfast.

My breakfast is poha/ upma/ cornflakes or fried eggs and toast. I prefer to eat a heavy breakfast.

I am not a health freak. I eat whenever I get hunger pangs.

I skip the snacks on the sets as they are dripping in oil. I either have fruits or peptin biscuits (diet supplements).

Rajasthani food is my favourite; it is spicy and just right for me. I am partial to gatte ka saag and dal batti churma. In Jaipur, a revolving restaurant serves awesome food.

Kiran Caf is the Juhu beach of Jaipur. It has a series of stalls and a caf that serves all kinds of cuisine – from Chinese to South Indian. The ambience is not great, but the food is excellent and the parking lot always full of big cars. The Jaipur highway has some  dhabas that serve Rajasthani as well as Punjabi food. Their lasoon chutney is sheer magic.

When I came to Mumbai, I was not much into non-vegetarian, but my landlady made excellent chicken, fish and amazing paya which I learnt to relish. I tried to learn cooking from her many times, but with little success.

Now I have an elderly maid, who makes awesome Bengali food. She makes sumptuous fish in mustard and baigan bhaja (fried baigan).

I can cook only to survive. But honestly, I don't enjoy cooking, I am very bad at it. My cooking flair extends to omelettes, Maggi noodles and mushroom soup.

My mom is a vegetarian and an excellent cook. A Gujarati, she makes awesome Chinese food. With the exception of white kadhi and dal dhokli, I am not very fond of Gujarati food as I find it very sweet.

I enjoy eating out with my sister who is currently in town to study fashion designing.

My favourite restaurants are Mainland China, and Just Around The Corner for salads. I am a regular at Legacy Of China. Of late, I have discovered Ginger Marie next to Fame Adlabs.

Their Arabiatta pasta is as good as the pasta I ate in Switzerland.

Hang Out at Lokhandwala makes awesome cakes. Black forest and chocolate pastries are my favourites.

When I go abroad, I miss Indian food a lot.  I live on salads and Chinese food. The non-vegetarian food abroad has a peculiar odor. I have eaten great food in Malaysia and Switzerland.

Earlier, when my friends wanted a truce after a fight, they would offer me chocolates.  Today, even Swiss chocolates don't tempt me.

I must confess I adore Lactogen milk powder. Often, I take 3 to 4 spoons of powder and make a meal of it.

Once a shopkeeper, who assumed that I was married because of my TV character Kumkum's attire, asked me to choose between a milk powder tin for a baby below six months and another for above. I told him to give me the one that tasted better. He must have thought that this lady isn't bothered about her child, she is only concerned about the taste (laughs). I think my poor child won't get sufficient milk powder since I will finish his/her share too.

My favourite fruit is custard apple. I eat apples because they are considered to be good for health. I carry mangoes in my ice-box when they are in season.

My love for mangoes reflects in my p***les. Even during my school days, my mom never gave me bread as far as possible. She would pack a healthy meal like sabzi roti or poha.

I can make a meal of pickles. Pickles give me a bad throat, but I don't care.

I can never starve myself, so I don't fast at all.

My favourite spice is garlic.

My favourite kitchen appliance is a nonstick pan, to fry eggs.

In beverages, I am partial to cold coffee.

My favourite poison is cranberry and lime Bacardi Breezers. I drink occasionally.

During summer, I like to have lot of water, kairi ka panna and buttermilk.
For the rest of the year, I tend to forget that one has to drink water.

I like eating bhutta and kala chana masala in the rains.

I have not gone out for a date yet because I don't have a boyfriend. But I would like to dance on a date and take a long drive to a kulfi joint or an ice-cream parlour.

Juhi's mushroom soup

1 packet mushrooms
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
2 cups water
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash the mushrooms well. Remove the stalks and slice them. Lightly heat butter in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add flour and saut on a low flame till the flour is light brown. Add the sliced mushrooms and saut on a low flame for 8-10 minutes. 

Remove from flame. Pour milk and stir continuously to avoid lumps. Boil, then add water and boil for another 10 minutes. Blend cornflour in water.

Add the cornflour mixture to the soup and stir.   Boil the soup till you get a slightly thick consistency. Remove from gas and add salt and pepper. Serve hot with garlic bread.

Enjoy😊 Please reply

Edited by hersha - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Amany thumbnail
hey thnx for sharing 😃 it was actually interesting 😆 its worth reading
Shazia_haya thumbnail
HEy I don't understand why people in India and Pakistan love CHINESE food a lot....I notice in movies and my online friends too! WHY?
I live in Hong Kong......for me I don't really love Chinese food......I eat only sometimes but mostly if it's up to me then I would not prefer Chinese food!!
Eksie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Shazia_haya

HEy I don't understand why people in India and Pakistan love CHINESE food a lot....I notice in movies and my online friends too! WHY?
I live in Hong Kong......for me I don't really love Chinese food......I eat only sometimes but mostly if it's up to me then I would not prefer Chinese food!!

Thanks for posting this Hersha..

Shaziya.. where food is concerned, I think its very natural that one tends to like a cuisine that is not a part of their day-to-day routine. At home and even around us..its only Indian food everywhere.. so for a change, people..especially Indians..love Chinese. My cousin lives in HongKong too..and she hates Chinese food..she prefers Indian!! 😃

Moreover.. Chinese food in HongKong is quite different from Chinese food in India.. Indian Chinese is yummmmmy!! Its Chinese with Indian tadka!! 😆😆😆

Mainland China.. Ju's fav restaurant.. serves amongst the best chinese food in the suburbs.. Its my fav. restaurant too!! 😳😳

Edited by Ektaj - 17 years ago
x.Asian~Flava.x thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
tfs wow juhi likes alot of foodz! 😆
anku2cute thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
hey thnks hersha bt i hav read ths article bfore....am sure i hv read it....

wow juhi also luvs chinese...mine also favourite 😃   😃

its yummmyyyyyyyyyy......and mangoes also i luvvv thm 😃

and pickles...punjabi style pickles r yummyyyyyyyyyyyy 😃

and backforest wowoooo.....lagta hai all our choices r d same...almsot 😳 😳 😳
tnkx well i like all thngs nt mangoes Allah gave us sweet things great things 2 eat thanks 2 Allah specially cow meat muahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
taurus thumbnail
thanks for posting
and sharing it with us.......😊
i agree with u guys its worth reading.......
kool interview of juhi....gud to know more abt her😛
maneet.n.shanak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
sweet....its always great learning more about her...

seems like she is a fun person
diyafah thumbnail
I loved this article...nice journey of mouthwatering food and drink! 😆