Coming of age- Musings

Sultan_Of_Swing thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 10 years ago
1. Back in the late 90s Indian television was very progressive. We had good shows, that showed life for what it was. One of my all time favorite shows those days (even to date) was Saans; a show on how an extra marital affair embraced by a husband breaks his family apart. the subject was handled with sensitivity, but maturity & realistically. There was a scene where the husband and wife both parents to children who were in the teens initiate sex (hope mods allow the usage of the word here). Although it was only inferred upon but still it told the audience what they needed to know.

Move forward 10 years and we are now at a time where television is extremely conservative about showing anything that might upset the majority of the audience, to the point where married couples are shown to be celibates. I never understood the reasons behind something like this. Sex isnt bad. Yes, showing scenes of a sexual nature on prime time television is wrong, but to drag it to the point where married couples were shown as celibates was very very amusing.

On that note I'm glad that the makers of RR and its actors decided to take the bold step of showing Rudra's & laila's relationship for what it was- a pre-marital sex based relationship.

2. Secondly i find it amusing that people are calling Rudra's character deela. why? Because he is in a mutually beneficial relationship with an adult woman? How does that make him flawed? By all means he is flawed because he hates women, doesnt treat them well, uses violence and aggression while dealing with people he doesnt like. But to embrace a sex based relationship with another adult woman doesnt make his character deela. well, at least not according to me.

3. Ankita as Laila surprised me. Lets just say that I didnt like her in Amrith manthan, so i was pleasantly surprised by her in RR. however I find her potrayal of Laila, completely vampish. maybe thats how the character is meant to be. The PH's casting director deserves a pat on his/her shoulders.

4. The stage is set, the characters, their past, their motivations, their conflicts, their beliefs have all been established. Now its time for the Big wedding and for Rudra & Paro's life to change forever.

Feel free to agree or disagree respectfully.

P.S- a humorous take on today's episode will follow tonight or tomorrow morning.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MoronsKiMallika thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Dekha!

Maine kittni pride se kahaa tha ki Rudra virgin nahin hai. He made me so proud!

AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETELY. Infact, ,many of EK's grey heroes were shown sexually active before saccha pyaar happened. So, why judge? 
Edited by MoronsKiMallika - 10 years ago
abhi_arshilover thumbnail
Agree with u completely. For me rudra is not flawed for this. And i'm not even shocked seeing their scenes as we all know that laila's charector is going to be intimate with rudra and she is the negative charector so this is not shocking.
rowan thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
πŸ‘πŸ‘ Awesome Post. It's Life and it's quite normal to deal with such things. And I kind of like it this way. This main lead is flawed and have Sax before marriage with the other lady. It makes him more rugged.
And yes I did mention he is not a Virgin! He saved all the Woman from shame. He is using it πŸ‘πŸΌ

Now like you said stage is all set for Paro and Rudra. I can't wait to see how this Macho man will please our delicate doll eventually in bed. He needs to be Suave 
aksuji thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
valid points made...

Definitely  no problem with his relationship with benefits and when we know that there are emotions attached,its just what it is...and ultimately he has to go to Paro...

And for Ankita,she needs special mention,she made the character look more suited and it was not overflowing in any way, a great addition to RR cast, she  looked like a vixen and threatens paro from her very first scene.
Edited by aksuji - 10 years ago
.FemmeFatale. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I think I come in the minority as well,because I was all in for Rudra not being a virgin. It was obvious and no,that doesn't bring down his character. If he had indulged in a physical relationship with a woman by giving her false promises of commitment/marriage,while he had no plans of it,THEN,it would have been wrong. 
But this? No,it isn't. He has clearly stated to her,that for him,its a No-strings-attached relationship,nothing more. He doesn't even want her to do his household kaam,then why should it be wrong?

Trust me. This character is as realistic as it can get. Except for maybe,the hating women part(which I haven't really "seen" as such till now. But Im saying this from what I've read in articles) But even then,i gotta say,there are very few men these days,who actually have the guts to say it in clear words,that the relationship would be mere physical. Laila's heart is going against her will though. poor girl doesn't know Rudra would lose his heart to Paro.

I found the RuLa scene steaming hot. The message was clear. Ankita surprised me! I mean,she was good with her positive roles,but negatives are hard to play. Even harder to play are grey shades. Rudra is grey and thats what is his charm.

One can eat saada khaana once a week,or maybe twice a week,but daily? Nah,thats boring. What we want is a mixture of sweet,sour,bitter and spicy. Rudra is a mixture of it all. And thats whats make him so unique. 

And for all thos edisheartened souls,guys think of it like this,if the RuLa scene could be this HOT,imagine how hot the PaRud scene might be? πŸ˜‰

Betaaa,dimaag mein laddooo phoota na? β˜ΊοΈ

Bas. Phir kya. Tension kaayko lene ka? πŸ˜Ž

I was just happy to get some more of Rudra's intensity,spiced up with passion 

Edited by disha15 - 10 years ago
Hope thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Well said. I agree with you.
He is not forcing himself on other women, to be called characterless. His relation with Laila has nothing to do with his character. I applaud the RR team for boldly showing Rudra in his character rather than polishing it to make him likable to few viewers. Not many production people  dare to show Hero having relation with a women [who is not even the female lead] before marriage on national TV and surely not on the 2nd week of the show. Kudos to the team πŸ‘. Rudra is what he is and they sticked with that. 
Edited by Hope - 10 years ago
dmg2c thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhi_arshilover

Agree with u completely. For me rudra is not flawed for this. And i'm not even shocked seeing their scenes as we all know that laila's charector is going to be intimate with rudra and she is the negative charector so this is not shocking.

frankly, if you look at it, i thought it was a stupendously well executed scene, as far as scenes, direction and above all acting goes...very controlled, very understated despite being bold, and always, all the time the underlying feeling of rudra's raw, dark, dangerous energy which seems to lurk just under the surface..i really think ashish has managed to bring off the right edge and balance superbly...
showviewer thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I agree with all your points, especially the reverse trend we have seen with dealing with sex and sexuality in storytelling. 
Indeed the stage is set for larger drama to start, just wanted to add that showing Paro twirling in her bridal outfit overwhelmed and happily dreaming of her future was a nice touch, which will make the upcoming storm even more poignant.

Brilliant photography and the loved the lighting of each scene. 
Edited by showviewer - 10 years ago
tvbug2011 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Lovely post, NB. 😊 Talking about sex on Indian TV, way back in the 80s there was a show called Khandaan, and I remember this scene when Neena Gupta, who's been having marital problems with Jayant Kripalani, suddenly admits that she wants him. They're in the drawing room, he's returned dusty and tired from work, and she says bluntly that she wants him! He protests, he is too tired. And she tells him she likes it that way!! Talk about mature..πŸ˜†