**~||Happy Birthday ISAI PUYAL -A R Rahman||~**

V.CiYa thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Ten Things we didnt know about A.R.Rahman

"Mozart of Madras":

The music world's gain is the computer engineering world's loss. "I wanted to be a computer engineer when I was a kid. Electronic gadgets and technology fascinated me."

His childhood TV debut. "In 1980, when I was thirteen a kind producer who was called Rajan introduced me in a children's programme called Wonder Balloon' on national television [Doordarshan]. It seemed a big achievement in those days to see a kid playing four keyboards. Soon after the programme was aired, people started to recognise me on the street: Oh, it's that kid. We saw him on TV last Sunday.'"

Why he changed his name from Dilip Kumar to A. R. Rahman. "The truth is I never liked my name. I don't know why, but I just didn't like the sound of it. No disrespect to the great actor Dilip Kumar! But somehow my name didn't match the image I had of myself. Sometime before we started our journey on the path of Sufism, we went to an astrologer to show him my younger sister's horoscope because my mother wanted her to get married. This was around the same time when I was keen to change my name and have a new identity. The astrologer looked at me and said: "This guy is very interesting.' He suggested the names: Abdul Rahman' and Abdul Rahim' and said that either name would be good for me. I instantly loved the name Rahman'. It was a Hindu astrologer who gave me a Muslim name. Then my mother had this intuition that I should add Allarakha' [Protected by God], and I became A. R. Rahman."

His pre-Roja discography. "Very few people know that in 1987, I composed an album called Disco Disco with the (Tamil) singer/actor Malayasia Vasudevan. It had lots of other musical styles besides disco...I also recorded Deen Isai Maalai, an album of Sufi music. When I managed to build my music studio in 1989, it was the first piece of music that was recorded there. At a jingle recording, I met the (South Indian film) playback singer Malgudi Shubha and we decided to do an album together called Set Me Free. It was an English-language album. It was released in 1990, and later re-released in 1996, when it did better."

His early influences. "When I worked as a session musician, I was obviously surrounded by Indian film music. But I'd be listening on my headphones to Vangelis, John Williams or a Zulu chant. My interest in jazz began years later with Chick Corea, Dave Grusin and Herbie Hancock."

But he was never into The Beatles. "Strangely enough, I never listened to the Beatles, except for a very few songs. I was once supposed to do a commercial twenty-five years ago based on a tune by the Beatles. I think it was Girl' from Rubber Soul. Then of course there's that famous track with Ravi Shankar ["Norwegian Wood"]. Those were the only two Beatles tracks I knew. Many years later I read the lyrics of Imagine'."

And is more into operatic rock. "I liked the band Queen because I loved Freddie Mercury's voice." Later, when talking about his favourite movies, Rahman says: "I liked The Who's Tommy and Pink Floyd's The Wall."

How Freida Pinto and Sonam Kapoor helped him land some prized international projects. "It was sweet of Freida Pinto to recommend me to Julian Schnabel for Miral. I was keen to write new music for him but he insisted on using The Bombay Theme' and a track from He Ping's Warriors of Heaven and Earth." Rahman later says: "Danny (Boyle) told me later that it was Anil Kapoor and his kids who had recommended me to him. They would play him my songs and then the sound recordist Resul Pukkutty, also played my music to him."

His biggest gig. "100,000. In Kolkata," says Rahman in response to a question about his largest-ever audience.

His new spiritual guru, who he met after a low phase in the early noughties. "I was disturbed by September 11th and the Iraq war, and the way the world was getting divided. It was then that I met my new spiritual teacher who gave me a new perspective on life. By the way, he wrote the words of Khwaja Mere Khwaja' (from Jodhaa Akbar) under his pen name Kashif'.

(took from -

A. R. Rahman: The Spirit of Music by Nasreen Munni Kabir, Om Books International, )

https://drop.ndtv.com/albums/ENTERTAINMENT/rahman-birthdaymozart/2-rahman-birth.jpg
https://drop.ndtv.com/albums/ENTERTAINMENT/rahman-birthdaymozart/3-rahman-training.jpg

Edited by ll-Nilambari-ll - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

V.CiYa thumbnail
https://www.instablogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/arrahman_RuVOh_6943.jpg

50 Interesting Facts On A R Rahman ...

1. Nine-year-old Dileep Kumar slept late, played carrom and hated waking up at 7 a.m to practice at the piano!

2. Asked to leave school due to lack of attendance, he quit studies at the age of 15.

3. When Rahman's sister fell seriously ill in 1988, Pir Qadri, who cured her, advised the family to convert to Islam and they did!

4. Dileep had a choice of seven names during his conversion. He chose Allah Rakha Rahman.

5. Call it a filmi coincidence, his name was Dileep Kumar before he converted to Islam and his wife's name is Saira Banu!

6. His is often called as Isai Puyal'

7. A true believer, he offers namaaz five times a day.

8. Rahman eats just for his hunger. Takes on any food he gets in his house. His stomach gets filled for even Rasam Rice'.

9. Rahman adds lots of sugar in his cup of coffee. The ratio is 1/4 of the size of the cup. People are amazed when they share a cup in his house..

10. His mother spotted Saira at a dargah and sent a marriage proposal right away!

11. Saira Banu is the sister-in-law of Tamil actor Rahman and the daughter of a Chennai-based businessman from Kutch.

12. Rahman lives in a small two-storey bungalow in Kodambakkam.

13. He has three kids Khatija, Rahima , and son Ameen.

14. Rahman love games next to music. His gaming companions are Kathija,Rahima and Ameen.

15. Rahman shows exceptional love towards his sisters Raihanna, Fatima and Israt.

16. Rahman has no nick names. All the family members including sisters and his mom call him Rahman' with full fledged love and affection

17. Rahman doesnt go to any kind of Recreation places like Theatres and Parties. When he gets free time he just spends it with his family.

18. During important film festivals Rahman is conscious about his wardrobe. His wife Saira decides about his dresses. He is mostly dressed in black.

19. Rahman has 0% affinity towards gold jewellery. Slim Platinum ring is what he wears at times. He doesnt wear a watch in his hand.

20. Rahman loves to shop for music records at the Virgin Records store in New York. Once he landed in NY at 2 a.m and dashed off to the store.

21. In Chennai, Rahman takes his family and friends to a Thai joint located behind The Park Sheraton.

22. Rahman goes to Hyderabad and Nagoor Dhargas with his family atleast once in 6 months.

23. Rahman went to Hajj yaatra two times in his life with his mom.

24. Rahman's long-time associate drummer Shivamani once cooked fish curry for him in London while he was
working on Bombay Dreams. Rahman loved it. He's a non-veg but has suddenly stopped eating prawns.

25. Swamidurai, fondly called as Swami, has been with him since the begining of his career.

26. As a bachelor, he often uses the abbreviation LFA, which stood for Love Failures Association'!

27. Rahman usually sees his children off to school before he sleeps after working nights!

28. He does not let his wife or children inside the studio when he's working.

29. When theres a holiday for his children Rahman goes abroad. But with full musical works with him.

30. Khatija doesn't like her dad signing autographs in school and has asked him not to come there.

31. Rahman's son shares his birthday with him.

32. Rahman doesnt celebrate his birthday in a grandeur way. Early morning prayers, orphanage visits are the activities he do on that day peacefully.

33. He has lot of interests towards Social service. He loves doing that without any kind of fame

34. Every time rahman comes out of his house he recollects his father Shekar' from his memory and then
leaves.This is a sign of respect he shows to his father and mother. He treats them next to GOD.

35. The old keyboard that he used to play as a teenager is still displayed in his studio.

36. A master with instruments, he likes dismantling parts and assembling them.

37. A good mimic, he loves to imitate lyricist Vairamuthu, who in turn mimics Rahman's style of walking!

38. Penguin Publishers" released the first biography of A.R.Rahman. But due to many reasons Rahman dint
accept that as his Biography. He refused to accept that.

39. Loves to listen M.G.R and Shivaji's songs. At times he also sings those songs in his house which closely related people only are aware.

40. During the composition of a film Rahman sings "Pudhiya vaanam Pudhiya bhoomi engum pani mazhai
pozhigiradhu" loudy which indicates that all the works related to him is done.

41. Maniratnam is the only person who can meet Rahman at any time of his choice. Rahman shows more affection to the person who introduced him than anyone.

42. He talks very less. But to the close friends circle Rahman just loves to talk and laugh. "Music is the tool through which he keeps on speaking."

43. Rahman doesnt have a big friends circle. He was very sad when his close friend and singer Shahul Hameed passed away.

44. Rahman usually works in the night but he's made an exception for SP Balasubramaniam whose songs have all been recorded before 10 pm.

45. He likes listening to songs based on the raaga Sindhu Bhairavi.

46. .Rahman likes all the kinds of music. He congratulates the other music directors whole heartedly for their song which he liked the most when he gets a chance of seeing them.

47. When Subhash Ghai once told Rahman during the music of Taal that he would once win an Oscar, Rahman laughed aloud and replied that he could not.

48. Jai Ho was initially composed for Yuvvraaj!

49. Recent album "Couples Retreat" bagged more than 100 million dollars. Even there is a tamil song in that
blockbuster hit.

50. Rahman is the only Indian to be featured in List of best-selling music artists of the world'

http://heandshe.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Ar-Rahman.jpg

V.CiYa thumbnail

Today (January 6) is the 48th birthday of AR Rahman, perhaps the most popular Indian music director and Oscar award winner. The Mozart of Madras as he is known would be in Chennai, and would be at work on his birthday.

ARR as he is affectionately known throughout the world is a trendsetter and a wizard who redefined Indian music. He has achieved almost everything in the music world -Oscars, Golden Globe, Grammy,  BAFTA and almost all Indian music awards.

AR Rahman still rules Tamil film music where it all started more than two decades back. His Maryan album topped the itunes list of best sellers for 2013. And Nenjukkulle from Kadal was the most popular number of last year.

In 2014 Rahman has lot of biggies lined up. Rajinikanth's Kochadaiiyaan will be ARR's first album of the year likely to be launched on February 15. Next would be  Shankar's eagerly awaited AI album followed by Vasantha Balan's Kaaviya Thalaivan and Gautham Menon's Simbu film.

One Man...His Music...One Family (Rahmaniac's) Millions of Fans... Nothing on This World Could Come Between The Love Which We Have for Him. Wish You a Very Happy Birthday A.R. Rahman Sir, You Means Everything To Us. Thanks to Almighty for Creating Him!

hopper_ocean thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Happy Birthday AR Rahman. Thanks for the tread. 
V.CiYa thumbnail
Happy birthday my music wizard

-Nags- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Happy Birthday Rahman sir ðŸ˜ƒðŸ¥³

Edited by Rajinilicious - 10 years ago
_ChandraMukhi_ thumbnail
Happy Birhday isai puyal
ciya nice thread,,i wish its should be in GA
Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Happy Birthday, Isai puyal AR Rahman🥳.

I am very  proud to be a great fan of this  music genious <3.
Your music has the capability to touch the heart and soul of every mind. Listening to ARR songs are a great mood lifter for me whenever I am depressed.

One of my favorite  inspirational quotes - All my life I have had a choice of hate and love. I chose love and I am here. - AR Rahman.

Looking forward for your next projects:)

Edited by Aahaana - 10 years ago
StayStrong thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Happy Birthday King of Music,A.R Rehman,love your voice and your music is sensational,you are the best music composer.
Mallu
HalleNJ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Happy birthday to AR Rahman sir...wish you many happy returns of the day