Recitation of Vande Mataram against Islam

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=72653

Lucknow, August 19: Muslim leaders and clerics reacted sharply to a reported decision by the Centre asking all schools to make their students recite the first two stanzas of Vande Mataram as part of the centenary celebrations of the National Song on September 7.

"Reciting Vande Mataram is against the tenets of the shariat (islamic law)," Zafaryab Jilani, a member of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board(AIMPLB), said.

"There are some lines in Vande Mataram which go against our religion," Jilani said. However, Muslims had no problem in reciting the National Anthem, Jana gana mana, he said.

All India Muslim united Morcha vice-president M Asiddique also denounced the move, saying the recitation of Vande Mataram was "against Islam".

He said Muslims could under no circumstances allow their children to recite the song.

Another AIMPLB member, Khalid Rashid Firangi Mahali, aired similar views and demanded scrapping of the move. The Centre has sought the Uttar Pradesh government's help for the concluding function of the 'Vande Mataram centenary celebrations', wherein the song will be sung in all schools, colleges and educational institutions on September 7. An official release issued in Lucknow on Saturday had said that a letter from Union Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh had been received by Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav, seeking his help for successfully holding the function.

Necessary directives according to the wishes of Singh for ensuring the recital of the song's first two stanzas at 11 am on September 7 were issued to concerned officials, the release said.

What rubbish! I think time has come to tell these people that India is not an Islamic Country and Shariat is not applicable here. They are Indians first and anything else later and if they want other way round then that is simply unacceptable.

BTW, how did they reach the conclusion that reciting Vande Mataram is against the tenets of the shariat (islamic law)?😕

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
[quote=]how did they reach the conclusion that reciting Vande Mataram is against the tenets of the shariat (islamic law)?[/quote]

Is it because there is reference to Hindu dieties (Durga, Lakshmi) in Vande Mataram? I'm not really sure. I may be wrong. 😕

EDIT: Btw, are we allowed to discuss this topic since its based on religion?

Edited by T. - 17 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

[quote=]how did they reach the conclusion that reciting Vande Mataram is against the tenets of the shariat (islamic law)?[/quote]

Is it because there is reference to Hindu dieties (Durga, Lakshmi) in Vande Mataram? I'm not really sure. I may be wrong. 😕

EDIT: Btw, are we allowed to discuss this topic since its based on religion?

Tanaz read  solid snakes siggy it has the Vande Matram in it. No, it has no refrence to Durga and Lakshmi Ma as you can see.

I understand it calls our land our mother and we bow and salute her as per the sanskrit poem. This is whats objectionable to muslim clerics as you are not allowed to bow to even your mother land . I may be wrong , so plz feel free to correct me.

Its sad in my opinion that some don't feel the same love for their mother land and to them religon is top most. I am sorry if i hurt any one but this is just my opinion. I applaud ficticious characters like Kajol in Fanaa who shot her traitor husband. I personally believe in love for my country before anything- relationships, religons, family etc.

As for is this is a religous topic?? No this isn't a religous topic. Its discussing the latest news about our National song. Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Tanaz read  solid snakes siggy it has the Vande Matram in it. No, it has no refrence to Durga and Lakshmi Ma as you can see.

I understand it calls our land our mother and we bow and salute her as per the sanskrit poem. This is whats objectionable to muslim clerics as you are not allowed to bow to even your mother land . I may be wrong , so plz feel free to correct me.

Its sad in my opinion that some don't feel the same love for their mother land and to them religon is top most. I am sorry if i hurt any one but this is just my opinion.

As for is this is a religous topic?? No this isn't a religous topic. Its discussing the latest news about our National song.

Aparna, I looked for the translation of the anthem and here are the lines with the Lakshmi and Durga references:

Thou art Durga, Lady and Queen,
With her hands that strike and her
swords of sheen,
Thou art Lakshmi lotus-throned,
And the Muse a hundred-toned,
Pure and perfect without peer,
Mother lend thine ear,
Rich with thy hurrying streams,
Bright with thy orchard gleems,
Dark of hue O candid-fair

Devnagri script

???? ?? ?????? ???????? 43;?????
???? ????? ????????
???? ???????? 51;???, ????? ??????
????? ????? ????? ???????
?????? ?????? ?????? ?

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vande_Mataram

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Vande Mataram was used in our Freedom Struggle, I don't recall reading any muslim scholar finding anything objectionable about it, suddenly in last few year it has become objectionable? 😕
Knicks420 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
being indian comes first before religion
and that also includes this song, there is nothing about it against any religion
Aparna_BD thumbnail

"Vande maataraM 
sujalaaM suphalaaM malayaja shiitalaaM 
SasyashyaamalaaM maataram || 

Shubhrajyotsnaa pulakitayaaminiiM 
pullakusumita drumadala shobhiniiM 
suhaasiniiM sumadhura bhaashhiNiiM 
sukhadaaM varadaaM maataraM || 

Koti koti kantha kalakalaninaada karaale 
koti koti bhujai.rdhR^itakharakaravaale 
abalaa keno maa eto bale 
bahubaladhaariNiiM namaami taariNiiM 
ripudalavaariNiiM maataraM || 

Tumi vidyaa tumi dharma 
tumi hR^idi tumi marma  
tvaM hi praaNaaH shariire 

Baahute tumi maa shakti 
hR^idaye tumi maa bhakti 
tomaara i pratimaa gaDi 
mandire mandire || 

TvaM hi durgaa dashapraharaNadhaariNii 
kamalaa kamaladala vihaariNii 
vaaNii vidyaadaayinii namaami tvaaM 

Namaami kamalaaM amalaaM atulaaM 
SujalaaM suphalaaM maataraM || 

ShyaamalaaM saralaaM susmitaaM bhuushhitaaM 
DharaNiiM bharaNiiM maataraM |"

Translation by Shree Aurobindo

Mother, I bow to thee!   
bright with orchard gleams,   
Cool with thy winds of delight,   
Dark fields waving Mother of might,   
Mother free.   

Glory of moonlight dreams,   
Over thy branches and lordly streams,   
 Clad in thy blossoming trees,   
Mother, giver of ease   
Laughing low and sweet!   
Mother I kiss thy feet,   
Speaker sweet and low!   
Mother, to thee I bow.   

Who hath said thou art weak in thy lands   
When the sword flesh out in the seventy million hands   
And seventy million voices roar   
Thy dreadful name from shore to shore?   
With many strengths who art mighty and stored,   
To thee I call Mother and Lord!   
Though who savest, arise and save!   
To her I cry who ever her foeman drove   
Back from plain and Sea   
And shook herself free.   

Thou art wisdom, thou art law,  
Thou art heart, our soul, our breath  
Though art love divine, the awe  
In our hearts that conquers death.  
Thine the strength that nervs the arm,  
Thine the beauty, thine the charm.  
Every image made divine  
In our temples is but thine.  

Thou art Durga, Lady and Queen,  
With her hands that strike and her  
swords of sheen,  
Thou art Lakshmi lotus-throned,  
And the Muse a hundred-toned,  
Pure and perfect without peer,  
Mother lend thine ear,  
Bright with thy orchard gleems,  
Dark of hue O candid-fair  

In thy soul, with jewelled hair  
And thy glorious smile divine,  
Lovilest of all earthly lands,  
Showering wealth from well-stored hands!  
Mother, mother  mine!  
Mother sweet, I bow to thee,  
Mother great and free!  

Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Tanaz, if you read my translation which is the accepted translation the first 2 stanzas DO NOT mention Durga- Lakshmi Maa.

Now as per the goverment they have asked every one to recite only the first 2 stanzas !!!!
Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: SolidSnake

Vande Mataram was used in our Freedom Struggle, I don't recall reading any muslim scholar finding anything objectionable about it, suddenly in last few year it has become objectionable? 😕

No, this controversy emerged way back. Many had complained that Vande Mataram did not represent secularity in India. Thats why we have Jana Gana Mana as the national anthem.

Here's another article: http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1601/16010940.htm

Some excerpts from it (The article is really long):

UTTAR PRADESH Minister for Basic Education Ravindra Shukla declared on November 17 that "the order to make the singing of 'Vande Mataram' compulsory stands, and will be enforced". That the "order" would not cover schools run by the minority communities does not detract from its unconstitutional nature. It clearly violates Article 28 (1) and (3) of the Constitution. "(1) No religious instruction shall be provided in any educational institution wholly maintained out of state funds" and "(3) No person attending any educational institution recognised by the State or receiving aid out of State funds shall be required to take part in any religious instruction that may be imparted in such institution or to attend any religious worship that may be conducted in such institution or in any premises attached thereto unless such person or, if such person is a minor, his guardian has given his consent thereto." (emphasis added throughout). The language could not have been broader. It hits at the actual practice, regardless of a formal order and at attendance even if there is no participation in the worship. What applies to Vande Mataram applies also to Saraswati Vandana, a hymn to the Goddess Saraswati. The Supreme Court's ruling that the singing of the National Anthem cannot be made obligatory applies both to Vande Mataram and Saraswati Vandana with yet greater force. The U.P. Minister, who belongs to the Bharatiya Janata Party, revealed on November 17 that "the order" did exist and "will be enforced". But a few days later, on November 21, Union Home Minister L.K.Advani said that the "factual position" needed to be ascertained though he was against the singing of that song being made "mandatory". (Shukla has since been dropped from the Ministry.) More royalist than the BJP king, the Samata Party said on November 23: "Vande Mataram has no religious connotation". This is utterly false. Else, in 1937 the Congress Working Committee would not have said: "The Committee recognise the validity of the objection raised by Muslim friends to certain parts of the song." It declared that "only the first two stanzas should be sung". A poem which needs surgical operation cannot command universal acceptance.

The song 'Vande Mataram' occurs in Bankimchandra Chatterjee's novel Anand Math published in 1882.

R.C. Majumdar, the historian, has written an objective account of it.2 "During the long and arduous struggle for freedom from 1905 to 1947 'Bande Mataram' was the rallying cry of the patriotic sons of India, and thousands of them succumbed to the lathi blow of the British police or mounted the scaffold with 'Bande Mataram' on their lips. The central plot moves round a band of sanyasis, called santanas or children, who left their hearth and home and dedicated their lives to the cause of their motherland. They worshipped their motherland as the Goddess Kali;... This aspect of the Ananda Math and the imagery of Goddess Kali leave no doubt that Bankimchandra's nationalism was Hindu rather than Indian. This is made crystal clear from his other writings which contain passionate outbursts against the subjugation of India by the Muslims. From that day set the sun of our glory - that is the refrain of his essays and novels which not unoften contain adverse, and sometimes even irreverent, remarks against the Muslims" (emphasis added). As Majumdar pithily puts it, "Bankimchandra converted patriotism into religion and religion into patriotism."

The song has five stanzas. Of these only the first two are the "approved ones". Jawaharlal Nehru was 'opposed to the last two stanzas'.

THE Government of India acquired this emotion-charged legacy. Its stand was defined in a statement by Prime Minister Nehru to the Constituent Assembly (Legislative) on August 25, 1948:7 Nehru said: "The question of having a national anthem tune, to be played by orchestras and bands became an urgent one for us immediately after 15th August 1947. It was as important as that of having a national flag. The 'Jana Gana Mana' tune, slightly varied, had been adopted as a national anthem by the Indian National Army in South-East Asia, and had subsequently attained a degree of popularity in India also... I wrote to all the provincial Governors and asked their views about our adopting 'Jana Gana Mana' or any other song as the national anthem. I asked them to consult their Premiers before replying... Every one of these Governors, except one (the Governor of the Central Provinces), signified their approval of 'Jana Gana Mana'. Thereupon the Cabinet considered the matter and came to the decision that provisionally 'Jana Gana Mana' should be used as the tune for the national anthem, till such time as the Constituent Assembly came to a final decision. Instructions were issued accordingly to the provincial governments... ''It is unfortunate that some kind of argument has arisen as between 'Vande Mataram' and 'Jana Gana Mana'. 'Vande Mataram' is obviously and indisputably the premier national song of India, with a great historical tradition, and intimately connected with our struggle for freedom. That position it is bound to retain and no other song can displace it. It represents the position and poignancy of that struggle, but perhaps not so much the culmination of it. In regard to the national anthem tune, it was felt that the tune was more important than the words... It seemed therefore that while 'Vande Mataram' should continue to be the national song par excellence in India, the national anthem tune should be that of 'Jana Gana Mana', the wording of 'Jana Gana Mana' to be suitably altered to fit in with the existing circumstances. "The question has to be considered by the Constituent Assembly, and it is open to that Assembly to decide as it chooses. It may decide on a completely new song or tune, if such is available." A MORE definitive statement was made by the President of the Constituent Assembly, Rajendra Prasad, on January 24, 1950. He said: "There is one matter which has been pending for discussion, namely, the question of the national anthem. At one time it was thought that the matter might be brought up before the House, and a decision taken by the House by way of a resolution. But it has been felt that, instead of taking a formal decision by means of a resolution, it is better if I make a statement with regard to the national anthem. Accordingly, I make this statement... The composition consisting of the words and music known as 'Jana Gana Mana' is the national anthem of India, subject to such alterations in the words as the Government may authorise as occasion arises; and the song 'Vande Mataram', which has played a historic part in the struggle for Indian freedom, shall be honoured equally with Jana Gana Mana and shall have equal status with it. (Applause) I hope that will satisfy the Members."8

Mutual understanding will lead to the Gandhian formula - respect for the song but no imposition. But even more than that, if the problem were understood in depth, what would emerge is a far better appreciation of the reasons why the Muslims and the Congress drifted away from each other. Those reasons have many a lesson for us today as we build a secular India. Attempts at imposition reflect a conscious decision to break with the national secular ideal.

Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Tanaz, if you read my translation which is the accepted translation the first 2 stanzas DO NOT mention Durga- Lakshmi Maa.

Now as per the goverment they have asked every one to recite only the first 2 stanzas !!!!

Yes, I am aware the first 2 stanzas do not mention either goddesses.

If the government has made only the first two stanzas official, then I dont know why there is a problem. Unless they have issues with the author of the anthem itself. 😕