Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Break ke baad

Several actresses who had disappeared from the small-screen after marriage, motherhood or simply took a break, are back in action

Chaya Unnikrishnan

Jennifer Winget
Early this year Jennifer Winget, who was missing in action since her marriage to Karan Singh Grover, made a comeback to fiction with Saraswatichandra. In fact, the last serial Jennifer did was Dill Mill Gaye co-starring Karan after which she was part of several reality shows as a host or contestant. Returning to fiction with none other than Sanjay Leela Bhansali's work, what more could Jennifer ask for? However, the show has been running into trouble since it began. There were reports about Jennifer being uncomfortable doing intimate scenes with her co-star Gautam Rode that affected the love story. The latest is that the show has changed hands and Bhansali is no longer producing it.

Sangeeta Ghosh
Best remembered as Pammi of Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand, Sangeeta quit TV six years ago to pursue a career in films. She, however, claims that she got bored and wanted to spend time with her family. She got married and settled in domestic bliss. However, the lure of the limelight brought her back with Jee Le Zara " the story of a younger man Dhruv (Ruslaan Mumtaz) falling in love with an older woman Sanchi (Sangeeta). She claims that it was the realistic subject and the way it was being handled that got her out of her self-imposed exile.

Gautami Kapoor
The last time she was seen on TV was as Tulsi Virani in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. She had replaced Smriti Irani in the iconic role. But after that Gautami quit acting to look after her two children. There was talk of the actress making a comeback in Pavitra Rishta where she was to replace Ankita Lokhande after the leap but that didn't happen as Ankita continued. Now, the actress who confessed to have been itching to get back to acting, is playing a teenager's mother's role Shruti in Khelti Hai Zindagi Aankh Michouli.

Ratan Rajput
The petite actress came into the limelight as Laali of Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo. She then did a swayamvar on national television with Ratan Ka Rishta where she got engaged to Avinav Sharma but later broke it off. For a couple of years she wasn't seen on the small-screen save for an episode of Fear Files. Now she's made a big comeback with two shows " as a contestant in Bigg Boss 7 and essaying the role of Amba in Mahabharat. Ratan terms her comeback as a new innings.

Parul Chauhan
Parul Chauhan shot to fame with her debut show Sapna Babul Ka - Bidaai, after which she did Rishton Se Badi Pratha. Post that she vanished from the small screen to pursue a career in films. She did Myoho based on the mystic law of karmic cycle, but it went unnoticed and Parul is back to TV with Punarvivaah 2. The Bidaai actress concedes that after Myoho, she was waiting for the best offer to come her way and Punar Vivah2 was one of them. "When the character of Divya was narrated to me, I felt it's a great opportunity to play the role of a TV actress onscreen."

Kanchi Kaul
She has several serials to her credit including Bhabhi and Maayka, but it's her first serial Ek Ladki Anjaani Si that she is best remembered for. A couple of years ago, Kanchi got married to fellow TV actor Shabbir Ahluwalia and since then was missing in action. Kanchi, however, says that it was not a conscious decision, it's just that she had been on a year-long honeymoon! It was when she came back from her intense travel, that she got the role of Shraddha in Meri Bhabhi. With the serial revolving around her character, there was no way Kanchi could have refused the role.

Gauri Tonk
She is best known for her role in Kaahin Kissi Roz and Nach Baliye 2 where she had reached the finale with her husband Yash Tonk. Gauri took a break from TV after marriage and motherhood. The actress who has one daughter did one episode of Crime Patrol, but it's with Ek Boond Ishq Ki that the leggy actress has returned to fiction after nine years. First it was because she wanted to spend time with her daughter but later when she wanted to make a comeback, she got offers for elderly roles. "Instead of playing mother on screen, I decided to stay back and give my attention to my daughter," says Gauri. The irony is, she is back with a role that has her playing mother (Nirmaladevi) to a guy who is her age. "Yes, at first I was shocked but I was told he is an adopted child so I was okay. Most importantly, my role is strong and the character has different shades," she adds hoping she will get a lead role soon. 

Shilpa Agnihotri, seen only in reality shows lately, the last being Welcome Baazi Mehmaan Nawazi Ki that was just for one episode is currently seen with her husband Apoorva in the reality show Bigg Boss.
Geetanjali Tikekar best known for her role as Aparna in Kasauti Zindagi Kay took a break after Tere Liye for motherhood and is back with Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam 2 as Anjali, the hero's mother. 

Rajshri Thakur
Rajshri Thakur, best remembered for her role as the dusky Saloni fighting her way through a society biased against dark complexioned girls, returned with Bharat Ka Veer Putra Maharana Pratap. She is playing queen Jaywantabai, King Uday's Singh's wife and mother of Maharana Pratap. After Saat Phere, the actress who got married took a long break save for cameos in two shows Bidaai and Agle Janam Bhi Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo. The historical got her interested as she has a fascination for history. "When the offer for Maharana... came to me, I was excited. Jaywantabai, the character I essay, is the biological mother of Maharana Pratap and a strong character. She is the one who moulded him as a warrior as Uday Singh did not take any interest. Also, her character has different shades," she had said.

Published Date:  Oct 08, 2013   .