Chat Transcript:Naveen Prabhakar

crazy_heenz thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Naveen Prabhakar

Transcript of LIVE INDIATIMES CHAT with Stand-up Comedian, Naveen Prabhakar at 12 noon (IST) on Thursday, January 19 2006, in Mumbai

Naveen Prabhakar
Stand-up Comedian

"A few bar girls called me to say that I show cased them to the world in the right time. They like the way I copy them and do not feel that I have been making fun of them."

Java lite > Hi Naveen ji I am Rajni Rohilla. I am a regular watcher of the TV show 'Laughter Challenge.' Your one phrase "Pehchaan Kaun" is your identity now. How do you feel now? Are you married?
Naveen Prabhakar > I am not married. I am 26 years old. I am delighted with so much popularity and love being a comedy champion! I am enjoying my stardom now!

Hiraa > Please give your comments on the Miss India contest. And also please make a one liner like "Pehchaan Kaun" for this contest also.
Naveen Prabhakar > I do not really watch the show that much. But I'd like the girls to put on some more clothes then they usually wear in pageants. But like Is aid, I really don't want to comment much on this .

Santosh > Naveen, have you ever really thought that you'd become a superstar overnight?
Naveen Prabhakar > Not exactly. But, right from the start I was very confident that my "Pehchan Kaun" item would click! I made this item after observations. The bar girl topics have been tackled in films but none had done any comedy in them. SO I decided to try it as a comedy. The bar girls have a glamorous style of living. Even if they earn 2000 rupees, they spend almost 80 percent of it on their lifestyle. Their approach towards life and living is amazing, and they do not let their adversities come in the way of (their) jest for life.

Big fan > Where are you from and why did you decide to become a stand- up comedian? This is an unusual profession and in India there was hardly had any scope, before TV became big and a show like 'Laughter Challenge' gave talents like yours a platform.
Naveen Prabhakar > Correct. I am from Mumbai. I chose this to break a trend. There were films being made on light comedies, glamour etc. And I wanted to do something different through my talent. I was confident about my item (Pehchan Kaun). Just with these two words I got immense recognition. For me, it's a revolutionary change in my life. It's true that mimicry profession did not have any scope. But we were doing world tours with Hrithik, Karishma, Kareena, and we earned good money. But, after this show, we have a face value.

Er_jayati > What inspired you to enact as bar girls? Were you ever troubled by these girls, after enacting them? Did you ever had any crush on these bar girls?
Naveen Prabhakar > No crush (bad question). I observed bar girls closely. And like I said earlier, I was amazed by their capacity to live a life through all their personal problems. There are many girls who dance at bars in the night and study at a college in the daytime. And they do not need my sympathy because they are independent. They never troubled me. In fact, a few called me saying that in the right time, I showed cased them, and put them in front of the world. They like the way I copy them. They feel it is their friend who is talking. And they do not feel that I am making fun of them. This is the feedback I have received from bar girls.

Indu > Which is your debut film in Marathi? Are you doing Hindi films also?
Naveen Prabhakar > I am doing four Hindi films as a lead hero. I can't take the names here. Will come to know each month, as it goes by. This month I am completing commitments for my shows. I have done some ads. Marathi film's name is - 'No problem,' and it's a hit in Pune and all over Maharashtra. People want to see how Naveen - a Maharashtrian guy - is acting in it. I signed this film after doing the show 'Laughter Challenge.' I bagged the role because of the show. I completed the film in 20 days time.

Kaur > What inspired you to be a comedian? How do you improvise on your comedy and how do these ideas come to your mind?
Naveen Prabhakar > I have been impressed by Kishore Kumar, Mehmood, Johnny Walker, Charlie Chaplin and as a child always enjoyed watching them on the screen. Is aw that comedy really made people laugh. I can make a crying person laugh but cannot stop a person from weeping or crying.

Imr_1986 > Hi Naveen, I loved your act. The "Paichan Kaun" one. But you seem to be quite repetitive. Don't do that. You are losing your charm because of that
Naveen Prabhakar > Don't worry, I will take care of that. And if well-wishers like you want it, I will definitely improve.

Sign Off Message > I am sorry, but I need to sign off now. I have to rush to the studio for a dubbing session. THANK YOU so much for chatting with me online to day. Warm regards, Naveen.