Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sherlock thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: Viraaga

First of all, thanks for posting all these beautiful pictures from famous temples.😊

Even Rishis,Munis and Yogis have beard and moustache ,aen't they forms of god/Vishnu like Rama and Krishna.πŸ˜•
I think everyone born as human being (man) will have this its a natural physiologic change.

Yes, God-realised Rishis & Munis, infact any God –realised (Bhagvat-prapt) bhakt is "Bhagvad-swaroop." But then, all of us, everyone, everything, you & me included, are eternal chaitanya ansh (Jeevatma) of Shri Ram. But not talking of the likes of me, surely you realize that even the supreme devotees who are Bhagvat-prapt & hence, in a  way Bhagvad-swaroop, as long as they are in any Maayic realm & yet to go to the divine eternal abode, their physical bodies remain Maayic, & hence subject to all the maayic laws governing physical bodies.

Ofcourse he is bliss but now he is in human form then what this has to do with that?I don't understand??

Being in human form & being a human with a maayic, material human body, are two vastly different things. if someone is appearing human, but has no maayic body, no material body, but has a divine, Sanatan-Swaroop, why should his Swaroop be dragged down to the level of all other maayic, material human bodies?? 
Why this insistence that only because someone appears human to me, his "body" should be subjected to all the maayic laws human bodies are subjected to, even if he happens to be beyond His own power Maya, & is in fact, Mayadhipati??

Look at these deities from our ancient Indian telmples some are Self-Manifested by the lord god himself !

I or for that matter no one else can say anything about self-appearing idols, because Lord can manifest in infinite ways & he is beyond any conditionalities. Here our discussion is about the idols of the Lord we make or the pictures of the Lord we draw. As for Lord Narsingh, he is half human – half lion, so naturally every idol of his has to be lion-headed. 

Moustache is associated with warrior class and warrior acts.(Royalty and Power)

In ancient India, the beard and moustache were allowed to grow long, a symbol of dignity and of wisdom.The beard is also a sign of a nomadic and ascetic lifestyle.😊

You're right. But does that mean that we project such associations of our maayic world (moustache with royalty, beard with ascetic lifestyle) on the non-maayic, divine Swaroop of Nitya-Kishore Bhagvan??

Our Shri Ram is very playful. He is Sarva-shaktimaan, yet invariable accepts defeat before the love of his devotee, he is beyond any hunger or thirst, yet cry before mother Kaushalya for milk, he is Sarvagya, yet cries for his wife, falls unconscious, & search for his beloved Sita running from forest to forest.

If any human is to use Sri Ram's manifest acts as an excuse for calling Sri Ram a human, Lord has no problem. He is not asking anyone to consider him as the Supreme Parmatma-tattva. But as Goswami Tulsidas warned all humans, that'll be a case of projecting our ignorance on the Lord (nij agyaan Ram par dharahi)!!

Thus, if I am an artist who wishes to draw Lord Sita-Ram, what is the logical, smart thing for me to do? I don't know if he ever kept moustache or not, I don't know if he ever kept beard or not, but what I do know for a fact is that His eternal, Sanatan Swaroop is that of a Nitya-Kishore & a Nitya-Kishori. So I'll draw His swaroop I do know, and that's the end of the story. 

Hope this helps. πŸ˜Š

chirpy_life19 thumbnail

^ ^ Oh my god!Thank you so much for sharing these good knowledgeable lines.πŸ˜ƒI like learning things closely connected to Mythology.
Though it is very difficult to understand them at this moment(as they are confusing me),may be I'll get the point right in future due to our interactions.(i.e when you keep commenting on the stuff I post.)😊

Edited by Viraaga - 10 years ago
_gReenheaRt_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Nice post Viraaga and all those pics look divine!

One thing I would like to share : Shiva Linga(Shiva mark) has no gender,it is neither male(Purusha linga) nor female(Sthri Linga) and not at all a transgender(Napunsaka), it is beyond gender.Do you know this Shivam -Jivam concept?

Why I'm saying all this!?In those pics of self manifested Shiva linga you posted the facial features we notice are human made as part of adoration/worship.You dont find all this when you observe them during the daily ceremonial bath.😊

Edited by SRUJAconscience - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Originally posted by: SRUJAconscience

Nice post Viraaga and all those pics look divine!

One thing I would like to share : Shiva Linga(Shiva mark) has no gender,it is neither male(Purusha linga) nor female(Sthri Linga) and not at all a transgender(Napunsaka), it is beyond gender.Do you know this Shivam -Jivam concept?

Why I'm saying all this!?In those pics of self manifested Shiva linga you posted the facial features we notice are human made as part of adoration/worship.You dont find all this when you observe them during the daily ceremonial bath.😊

Oh!Thank You so much!😳

I never new all thisBut what about other deities like Ram and Krishna?

Read this.It is from Srimadbhagavatam "The family priest or spiritual master, Vasishtha, had Lord Ramachandra cleanly shaved, freeing Him from His matted locks of hair. Then, with the cooperation of the elderly members of the family, he performed the bathing ceremony [abhisheka] for Lord Ramachandra with the water of the four seas and with other substances, just as it was performed for King Indra."πŸ˜•

Edited by Viraaga - 10 years ago
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Wow, okay, I know this is a relatively old discussion, but I want to bring it back since Lola Di and I were talking about the exact same thing a few weeks ago, and I would just like to add my own comment to it. I hope that's okay.

Well, first of all, I want to thank Cool-n-Fresh (I bet that's not your real name, but that's all I have to go by), for making this thread and showing all the ways that Devi Sita was related to nature and fertility, and this is just another way we can worship her. So thank you. This is brilliant! And I am so glad you provided sources too. It shows you have done a very thorough job.

And now going to the more trivial matter of whether Shri Raam had a beard or not, here are my two cents:

Yes, incarnations of God such as Raam and Krishna are referred to as Nityakishore. However, I look at it as a way of saying that he is ever youthful. Not necessarily always in the form of a little boy, but always young. Not every word used in the scriptures can be interpreted literally. For example, Vishnu is referred to as Kamalaksh, having lotus-like eyes. Now, you can interpret the two root words there, Kamal and Aksh, and wrongly assume that he does in fact have two flower bulbs growing out of his eye-sockets. But that would be wrong. The intention of the writer, when he uses the name Kamalaksh is to compare Shri Vishnu's beautiful eyes to lotus flowers. In the same way, Nityakishore can be interpreted to mean always a kishore (age 13-15), or ever youthful. I think the latter one makes more sense.

According to the Manu Smriti, the kishor yuva spans from the age of thirteen to fifteen. So even if you take the word "Nityakishore" as literally as always having the appearance of a 13-15 year old, then Raam and Krishna would have the physical appearance of a thirteen to fifteen year old boy. And most males do in fact develop facial hair at that age. My fifteen year old little brother has to shave everyday. Let me reiterate, kishoras have facial hair. So, Ram and Krishna would have facial hair even then.

Having a beard doesn't indicate growing old, but growing up. You can still be youthful and have a beard. Growing up is when your body changes. Growing old, on the other hand, is when your body starts to disintegrate and slowly die. Your cells start to oxidize, there is not enough fat in the skin tissue, so you develop wrinkles. Your melanocyte stem cells die, and the lack of them causes there to be less pigmentation and melanin, resulting in hair graying. Raam and Krishna's bodies might not have disintegrated like a normal human's, but Krishna did grow up, got married, and had kids. As did Rama! If they were old enough to conceive children, then obviously their bodies were mature enough to develop facial hair. Yes, because they are bhagwaan swaroop, the rules of nature that apply to regular human beings might not apply to them, but there is nothing to indicate that they're bodies were in a permanent stasis, never growing up.

It is mentioned many times throughout the hindu epics that people used to live for thousands of years in the satyug, tretayug, and dwaparyug. As the eras passed, and the level of sin increased, their people's lifespan was shortened. But I don't think that necessarily means that they grew up at a slower rate, not having beards until the hundreds. But that their bodies didn't disintegrate as soon. Many scientists agree that reducing oxidation damage will lengthen lifespans, but it has no effect on growing up. Growing up, developing body hair, an adam's apple, etc are related to hormonal changes, not oxidation. So, my theory is that everyone grew at relatively the same rate, but didn't grow old and die until much much later on. And perhaps, going back to the name of Nityakishor, that means that Krishna and Rama's bodies, which are indeed bagwaan swaroop, and different from sthul sharirs, never oxidized.

Oh, and the quote that was brought up earlier, the one from Sunderkand where Hanuman is describing Shri Ram to Devi Sita goes thus:

Rama has ten lotus-like limbs. He has ten ample limbs. He is spread through by reason of three. He is doubly pure. He is elevated in six limbs. He is small, thin, fine or sharp in nine. He pursues religious merit, worldly riches and the sensuous delight in three periods.

You can interpret the "he' [has] fine' [features] in nine" as him having fine hair, beard, moustache, but it is not clarified. It could mean he has a beard, but it doesn't prove it.

So, that was my dou take ki baat. I know I took a very trivial matter and stretched it out and made a huge deal about it. I'm sorry. If you read through all that, then let me just send you a virtual hug. Your sahensheelta is commendable. I am so sorry if you feel like I wasted your time, but I just wanted to get this out there, and well, I was bored. College hasn't started yet, and I don't have much to do. Bye!

Edited by AishuHiBawari - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Originally posted by: AishuHiBawari

Wow, okay, I know this is a relatively old discussion, but I want to bring it back since Lola Di and I were talking about the exact same thing a few weeks ago, and I would just like to add my own comment to it. I hope that's okay.

Well, first of all, I want to thank Cool-n-Fresh (I bet that's not your real name, but that's all I have to go by), for making this thread and showing all the ways that Devi Sita was related to nature and fertility, and this is just another way we can worship her. So thank you. This is brilliant! And I am so glad you provided sources too. It shows you have done a very thorough job.

And now going to the more trivial matter of whether Shri Raam had a beard or not, here are my two cents:

Yes, incarnations of God such as Raam and Krishna are referred to as Nityakishore. However, I look at it as a way of saying that he is ever youthful. Not necessarily always in the form of a little boy, but always young. Not every word used in the scriptures can be interpreted literally. For example, Vishnu is referred to as Kamalaksh, having lotus-like eyes. Now, you can interpret the two root words there, Kamal and Aksh, and wrongly assume that he does in fact have two flower blubs growing out of his eye-sockets. But that would be wrong. The intention of the writer, when he uses the name Kamalaksh is to compare Shri Vishnu's beautiful eyes to lotus flowers. In the same way, Nityakishore can be interpreted to mean always a kishore (age 13-15), or ever youthful. I think the latter one makes more sense.

According to the Manu Smriti, the kishor yuva spans from the age of thirteen to fifteen. So even if you take the word "Nityakishore" as literally as always having the appearance of a 13-15 year old, then Raam and Krishna would have the physical appearance of a thirteen to fifteen year old boy. And most males do in fact develop facial hair at that age. My fifteen year old little brother has to shave everyday. Let me reiterate, kishoras have facial hair. So, Ram and Krishna would have facial hair even then.

Having a beard doesn't indicate growing old, but growing up. You can still be youthful and have a beard. Growing up is when your body changes. Growing old, on the other hand, is when your body starts to disintegrate and slowly die. Your cells start to oxidize, there is not enough fat in the skin tissue, so you develop wrinkles. Your melanocyte stem cells die, and the lack of them causes there to be less pigmentation and melanin, resulting in hair graying. Raam and Krishna's bodies might not have disintegrated like a normal human's, but Krishna did grow up, got married, and had kids. As did Rama! If they were old enough to conceive children, then obviously their bodies were mature enough to develop facial hair. Yes, because they are bhagwaan swaroop, the rules of nature that apply to regular human beings might not apply to them, but there is nothing to indicate that they're bodies were in a permanent stasis, never growing up.

It is mentioned many times throughout the hindu epics that people used to live for thousands of years in the satyug, tretayug, and dwaparyug. As the eras passed, and the level of sin increased, their people's lifespan was shortened. But I don't think that necessarily means that they grew up at a slower rate, not having beards until the hundreds. But that their bodies didn't disintegrate as soon. Many scientists agree that reducing oxidation damage will lengthen lifespans, but it has no effect on growing up. Growing up, developing body hair, an adam's apple, etc are related to hormonal changes, not oxidation. So, my theory is that everyone grew at relatively the same rate, but didn't grow old and die until much much later on. And perhaps, going back to the name of Nityakishor, that means that Krishna and Rama's bodies, which are indeed bagwaan swaroop, and different from sthul sharirs, never oxidized.

Oh, and the quote that was brought up earlier, the one from Sunderkand where Hanuman is describing Shri Ram to Devi Sita goes thus:

Rama has ten lotus-like limbs. He has ten ample limbs. He is spread through by reason of three. He is doubly pure. He is elevated in six limbs. He is small, thin, fine or sharp in nine. He pursues religious merit, worldly riches and the sensuous delight in three periods.

You can interpret the "he' [has] fine' [features] in nine" as him having fine hair, beard, moustache, but it is not clarified. It could mean he has a beard, but it doesn't prove it.

So, that was my dou take ki baat. I know I took a very trivial matter and stretched it out and made a huge deal about it. I'm sorry. If you read through all that, then let me just send you a virtual hug. Your sahensheelta is commendable. I am so sorry if you feel like I wasted your time, but I just wanted to get this out there, and well, I was bored. College hasn't started yet, and I don't have much to do. Bye!

πŸ€— Perfectly Predicted!!!

Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Hai! Aishu(can I address you this way?)This is Cherry :)

Agreed!I feel the same,there is nothing to do with the physical body and it will perish one day,but it is the infiniteness which remains for ever!

Srujadi said the same thing.I guess she forgot to post it here but it was the same like what you said.😳

Will request her again to post the matter here!
Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
pakhara thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cool-n-Fresh

Hai! Aishu(can I address you this way?)This is Cherry :)

Agreed!I feel the same,there is nothing to do with the physical body and it will perish one day,but it is the infiniteness which remains for ever!

Srujadi said the same thing.I guess she forgot to post it here but it was the same like what you said.😳

Will request her again to post the matter here!

Hey, Cherry! Yeah, you can call me Aishu. My name's Aishwarya, but I go by Aishu. :) And seeing your icon, you're also a Jhalak fan? Hopefully perhaps maybe?

And yes, exactly! When I read the Ramayan or Bhagavad Gita, I usually try to think about the teachings and life lessons in it rather than things like this. Although, to be quite honest, I also critique a lot of mytho shows for their depiction of the characters and weird wardrobe choices, but that is another issue entirely.

And that would be so awesome! I'd love to read it too!

Edited by AishuHiBawari - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Originally posted by: AishuHiBawari

Hey, Cherry! Yeah, you can call me Aishu. My name's Aishwarya, but I go by Aishu. :) And seeing your icon, you're also a Jhalak fan? Hopefully perhaps maybe?

And yes, exactly! When I read the Ramayan or Bhagavad Gita, I usually try to think about the teachings and life lessons in it rather than things like this. Although, to be quite honest, I also critique a lot of mytho shows for their depiction of the characters and weird wardrobe choices, but that is another issue entirely.

And that would be so awesome! I'd love to read it too!

Hey so you can see my new iconbut why I'm unable to..πŸ˜•my old DP is not leaving meπŸ˜”
Yah even I love to learn life lessons from our scriptures.(sometimes they confuse me)thanks to members like you who help me understand*tears of joy*from the weird depictions and presentations!

pakhara thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cool-n-Fresh

Hey so you can see my new iconbut why I'm unable to..πŸ˜•my old DP is not leaving meπŸ˜”
Yah even I love to learn life lessons from our scriptures.(sometimes they confuse me)thanks to members like you who help me understand*tears of joy*from the weird depictions and presentations!

Yup, I sure can see your icon! And lmao, I'm sorry about your icon problem. India Forums has so many bugs! One time, I changed my email on here, so the annoying notifications wouldn't go to my main email. Something went wrong, and now I have to input my username and password two or three times to actually log in. Like, I do it once, it says error, and then I type my username and password again, and then it logs me in.

And don't worry, they confuse me too. Actually, there are a lot of things in our scriptures that contradict themselves. Some are due to translation errors, obviously, but some are intentionally there so we can dig deeper and think about the teachings.