Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sp_2012

go amisha 😃 , i like her also

Hey

Welcome 😃

Miss.Netherland thumbnail

AMISHA PATEL 

I wait in her parlour, as in walks the fragile-looking girl with long hair that reaches down to her bottom, dressed in casual jeans and T-shirt with trendy slip-ons. She has an almost transluscent skin, devoid of make-up.

"Did they offer you anything at all," she inquires, as she settles down to a comfortable, hour-long chat, legs folded, hair rolled up. Then we get started.

Was a career in films always on your mind?
I'm the grand daughter of Rajni Patel, the late Indira Gandhi's right hand man. My father is a businessman, who has studied law and runs a chemicals and audio-magnetic tapes business. My joining films was out of the question. I've been a Bharat Natyam dancer from the age of five and that's been my only exposure to the arts. In fact, I'm sure I wouldn't be acting, were it not for the fact that the Roshans, who happen to be family friends, offered me the role in Kaho Na... Pyar Hai. My dad and Uncle Rakesh were classmates at school, you know, and they go back a long way. In fact, the role was offered to me almost seven years ago.

So when did you eventually decide to take up the Roshans' offer?
When I announced I was going to act in a film, there was World War Three at home. My parents are against it, to this day. But they said if that was what I wanted to do, I should go about it in a dignified, clean manner.

You also dabbled in theatre, didn't you?
I did. I was already modelling on and off, because Arti and Kailash Surendranath, who had done an ad with me when I was very young and another one just before I left for the States, got me to do several more campaigns with them. I did a play called Neelam, written by Tanvir Khan.

So how did you feel when Kareena was signed to play the lead in the Roshan film?
The fact that I wasn't interested at all in the film offer isn't their fault. They couldn't have waited all my life for me to say yes. The show had to go on. But I guess Uncle Rakesh's offer was so heartfelt that, ghoom-phirke, the movie had to come to me. And how does it matter who was the first, second or third choice. What is important is who does the film eventually.

Were you under some kind of contract with the Roshans?
My mom and I were lunching with the Roshans, when the offere was made to me again. And this time, all it took me to say yes was 15 minutes. That's how informal the whole thing was. All I did was sign a letter saying I would not do any other film until 70 per cent of the film was completed. Otherwise, there was no contract, only a verbal understanding.

What was your parents' reaction this time?
They were happy I was acting in a film by a family friend, and a good director like Rakesh Roshan. So they had nothing really to worry about.

Did you get to know your co-star Hrithik quite well?
I'd met Hrithik quite frequently but my memories of him were of a very thin, painfully shy boy who kept to himself. We used to meet as families at Uncle Jeetendra's and Hrithik never came to those dinners. Then I went away for four years to the States to study, and that's when he changed into the handsome hunk he is now.

How was it playing his lady love on screen?
Very easy. He was very heplful, but still very shy in the beginnnig. He never once made me feel this was his film, a home production. Of course, there was an air of confidence about him, and he knew what he was doing. He had all his homework done, from line to scene. Also, the fact that he'd been assisting his dad for seven years obviously helped.

Were you equally confident, too?
Oh, not at all. I was totally raw, whereas he'd had dance lessons, been to acting classes and so on. I began shoot within the week from that fateful day at the Roshan household, which changed my life forever.

Your attire and get-up in the film left a lot to be desired...

Uncle Rakesh has never been the sort to focus on such things as far as any of his heroines are concerned. He is more focussed on extracting the right performance out of you, which he succeeded in doing even with me. But wait till you see my next film. I have my own dress designer, now. Wait till every one sees the new me.
Tell us about the experience of working with Rakesh Roshan.
Well, he's an ace director. And on the sets he was very disciplined, very efficient, always finishing ahead of schedule, and always extracting the best out of you. He was like a director on the sets and an uncle off it.

How would you describe your first film in hindsight?

KNPH for me was a complete learning experience, a growth platform. I grew everyday, learnt new things. I was completely raw to start with, but I soon learnt how the film industry functions. For me it was like being back in school.

So did you sign any other films since taking on this one?

Even considering the fact that I wasn't supposed to, until 70 per cent of my first film was complete, I've signed quite a few films. The first was the Telugu film, Badri, released two months after this one, which became a huge hit as well. Then I signed Gadar & Aap Mujhe Acche Lagne Lage

What would rate as your dream role?

A role in a Yash Chopra film, of course, something like, say, Chandni, Lamhe or Dil To Pagal Hai. I'd love to do an Umrao Jaan or do a Madhuri Dixit in Mrityudand.

How do you deal with the adulation that's part of the profession?

As with everything else, there are two sides to it, both an upside and a downside. The upside's fun, of course, but I'm still struggling to come to terms with the latter.

Edited by Miss.Netherland - 17 years ago
Miss.Netherland thumbnail

The world would be happier without money : Amisha Patel

You don't really value money till you start working for it. To me, money means being able to afford the necessities without it pinching. Enable me to fulfill my thirst for knowledge. Enjoy the good things of life. As children, we had very innocent pleasures-Rs 10 was so much of money. I remember buying those Kwality mango or orange sticks, it was like the highlight of my day!Money should be the servant, not the master. In a country like ours, it works wonders, it definitely plays a very important role. it is equated to class and respect here, where there are so many 'have-nots' as compared to the 'haves'. Money talks, bullshit walks.
It can be evil or good-it depends on how you use it. It is up to the individual.

I love all the feminine things, pretty things. I have this thing for perfumes. I spent my first salary on make-up. It really wasn't all that much, trust me! Mr Rakesh Roshan didn't pay me much-the amount was negligible. I don't mind spending a couple of lakhs on a watch! I don't drink, I don't smoke, no vices, but-I'm a complete shop-a-holic.

But, if someone left me a million dollars, I'd invest it, and out of the interest, I'd open schools, sponsor needy children. See, the things I enjoy I can do with the money I already have.

I think that within reason, star prices are justified. You've got to see that, over a period of time, this is all they have. This is the only source of income, and the span of working is a few years. In a government job, at least you're guaranteed a set amount every month. Here, there are no guarantees.

What is wrong with stars doing ads? There was a time when the public didn't want to see stars with a product-today, it is only stars who can sell a product. It's completely individualistic.

I'm not really money savvy, I wish I was. My dad is a very shrewd investor and businessman, so I've left it all to him. If I had to control my money, it would be gone sooner than it came.

I think the world would be happier without money, but human beings being human beings would find some other medium to destroy themselves. I think money can ruin relationships, because not a lot of people know how to rise above something as trivial as money. Anything that you want too much of is bad, even multi-vitamins! Maybe I can speak like this because I'm a 'have', and it's easy for me to discount something I take for granted.